PDA

View Full Version : 16 Team Playoff Field in CFB

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I'd like to see a 16-team field to decide it all.

4 different 4-team brackets where 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3.

I'd also like for there to be a play-in game between the 16th and 17th seeds for the right to participate in the playoffs. It would take a while to get down to the Championship game, but it would be great for the game and for fans everywhere.

iknoweverything
12-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Dang that is a great idea. Where did you come up with that. I cannont belive no one has came up with this solution before.

Emerson1
12-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow! What a new idea!

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Wow! What a new idea!

The 16-team field has been mentioned, but I've only heard of a scenario where there's two 8 team brackets. My bad. I've also never heard of anybody mentioning a play-in game.

Untwist your panties now.

Adidas410s
12-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
The 16-team field has been mentioned, but I've only heard of a scenario where there's two 8 team brackets. My bad. I've also never heard of anybody mentioning a play-in game.

Untwist your panties now.
I drew up a 24-team bracket with 4 6-team "pods." IMO, it would minimize travel for early round games...which generates additional revenue as more people will attend the games!

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I drew up a 24-team bracket with 4 6-team "pods." IMO, it would minimize travel for early round games...which generates additional revenue as more people will attend the games!

24 sounds good. I heard someone on ESPN mention 32 teams in the field not too long ago. I haven't been keeping up with it much lately, but I hope progress towards this is made, and made SOON.

Adidas410s
12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
24 sounds good. I heard someone on ESPN mention 32 teams in the field not too long ago. I haven't been keeping up with it much lately, but I hope progress towards this is made, and made SOON.

don't count on it. Working up a guaranteed revenue stream that is better than what there is now will be tough. Also...it requires the approval of a lot of parties:

- NCAA
- Conference Commissioners
- School Presidents
- Coaches (should give the ok)
- Network Television (who gets what games???)
- Bowl Committees that will be involved

Also, going from a system where bowl games are planned out far in advance to a bunch of games that give you a few days notice to get ready would be very hard. It works well in other sports because the sites are known well in advance. Pro football only has to deal with a few games and they have had plans in place for hosting games for years.

There are numerous other issues that have to be considered...but for now it's safe to say that a playoff system won't be happening anytime in the forseeable future.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 10:29 PM
don't count on it. Working up a guaranteed revenue stream that is better than what there is now will be tough. Also...it requires the approval of a lot of parties:

- NCAA
- Conference Commissioners
- School Presidents
- Coaches (should give the ok)
- Network Television (who gets what games???)
- Bowl Committees that will be involved

Also, going from a system where bowl games are planned out far in advance to a bunch of games that give you a few days notice to get ready would be very hard. It works well in other sports because the sites are known well in advance. Pro football only has to deal with a few games and they have had plans in place for hosting games for years.

There are numerous other issues that have to be considered...but for now it's safe to say that a playoff system won't be happening anytime in the forseeable future.

I am aware of all the issues, but still...

If University Presidents could just think about what is best for both players and fans instead of how they're going to make a dollar, this really would be no big deal....

Adidas410s
12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I am aware of all the issues, but still...

If University Presidents could just think about what is best for both players and fans instead of how they're going to make a dollar, this really would be no big deal....

how is it any better for the players???

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 10:47 PM
how is it any better for the players???

The main reason is that no players will feel snubbed. This gives every deserving team an equal opportunity to slug it out and fight for a National Championship...

...as opposed to only 2 teams who get to play for the top prize.