PDA

View Full Version : A great movie about polo!

Phil C
12-04-2007, 05:54 PM
TCM showed the 1928 silent movie "The Smart Set" Sunday night and it is great. It is about polo - a great sport. It is a great comedy but does some have some drama in last part of the movie along with a great polo championship match (which is dramatic and exciting) between the USA and England.

William Haines stars as Tommy and he is a great comedian and really makes the movie work. He would have had a great movie career but he had a clash with Hollywood producers and went into the home interior and furniture business where he was a tremendous success.

Alice Day stars as Polly the love interest. The scenes with her and Haines are great and they had great chemistry between them and were most funny indeed.

Jack Holt stars as Nelson who is Haines teammate and rival for Polly.

Hobart Bosworth stars as Burant who is Polly's father and also a fellow teammate on the USA polo team.

This movie is fantastic. It is silent but TCM has great background music for it and it works. It is a funny movie that you will enjoy and is a feel good movie like Hoosiers.

I am sure that it will be on TCM again and I will post when it is will be on again. You are in for a treat when it does.

Big Papa
12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
TCM showed the 1928 silent movie "The Smart Set" Sunday night and it is great. It is about polo - a great sport. It is a great comedy but does some have some drama in last part of the movie along with a great polo championship match (which is dramatic and exciting) between the USA and England.

William Haines stars as Tommy and he is a great comedian and really makes the movie work. He would have had a great movie career but he had a clash with Hollywood producers and went into the home interior and furniture business where he was a tremendous success.

Alice Day stars as Polly the love interest. The scenes with her and Haines are great and they had great chemistry between them and were most funny indeed.

Jack Holt stars as Nelson who is Haines teammate and rival for Polly.

Hobart Bosworth stars as Burant who is Polly's father and also a fellow teammate on the USA polo team.

This movie is fantastic. It is silent but TCM has great background music for it and it works. It is a funny movie that you will enjoy and is a feel good movie like Hoosiers.

I am sure that it will be on TCM again and I will post when it is will be on again. You are in for a treat when it does.

phil this sounds great and all...but did you actually watch it??

Phil C
12-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
phil this sounds great and all...but did you actually watch it??

Big I sure did and even my wife watched it and enjoyed it. A thrilling ending.

rockdale80
12-05-2007, 04:38 PM
How do you know what they are saying? ;)

Phil C
12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
How do you know what they are saying? ;)

:)

You need to watch a silent movie to find out. ;)