PDA

View Full Version : The Definition of a MODOC Pirate

JR2004
12-04-2007, 04:42 PM
As best as anyone can figure out...lol. I actually had received this email about a month and a half ago, but never did post it. I actually asked LaVega's QB from 2003, Jarvis Sanders, if he knew what it meant a short while ago. All he said was it's their motto and no one ever really told him what it meant...lol.

Anyhow here's the explanation I was given by Larry Breen who is a teacher down there in Bellmead.

"You asked the right person because I used to live in Oregon, where the Modoc Indian tribe used to live in the southern part of the state and in northern California. They had a battle with the cavalry after a General George Canby reneged on a treaty, and Captain Jack shot him to death. The tribe melted into the hills, but the cavalry just surrounded them a few months until they surrendered. It's a great story. Anyway, how they came to be associated with Pirates, I'll never know. I used to referee at La Vega long before I taught here and often asked the players/fans
what a Modoc was, and they all answered, "a Pirate!" WRONG!"

That's straight from one of their teachers. How that ties into La Vega I don't know and apparently he doesn't either, but there you have it for those who wanted to know. :)

Bearkat
12-04-2007, 05:46 PM
How long have they used this "battle cry?" The reason I'm asking is because I'm from a school that was in the same district with Waco LaVega in the early 90's. Never heard MODOC even once back then.

88bobcats
12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
I wonder if it's an adaptation from "MOJO".....

Back in the '80s, Little Cypress-Mauriceville, a 4-A school with the mascot of "Battlin' Bears", tried to create a MO-BEAR motto that was definitely influenced by the Permian tradition.

Darren
12-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
As best as anyone can figure out...lol. I actually had received this email about a month and a half ago, but never did post it. I actually asked LaVega's QB from 2003, Jarvis Sanders, if he knew what it meant a short while ago. All he said was it's their motto and no one ever really told him what it meant...lol.

Anyhow here's the explanation I was given by Larry Breen who is a teacher down there in Bellmead.

"You asked the right person because I used to live in Oregon, where the Modoc Indian tribe used to live in the southern part of the state and in northern California. They had a battle with the cavalry after a General George Canby reneged on a treaty, and Captain Jack shot him to death. The tribe melted into the hills, but the cavalry just surrounded them a few months until they surrendered. It's a great story. Anyway, how they came to be associated with Pirates, I'll never know. I used to referee at La Vega long before I taught here and often asked the players/fans
what a Modoc was, and they all answered, "a Pirate!" WRONG!"

That's straight from one of their teachers. How that ties into La Vega I don't know and apparently he doesn't either, but there you have it for those who wanted to know. :)

I asked an ex player from La Vega and he verified that it is in reference to an Indian tribe and that a head coach long ago named the Mascot MODOC for reasons unknown to him and it stuck.

JR2004
12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Darren
I asked an ex player from La Vega and he verified that it is in reference to an Indian tribe and that a head coach long ago named the Mascot MODOC for reasons unknown to him and it stuck.

It's definitely not new, that's for sure. They've been saying MODOC around there for as long as I can remember.

Cadillac
12-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I heard Coach Silver started it all.

I will ask him if I see him at the game.