PDA

View Full Version : East Texas couple celebrate 80 years of marriage

Txbroadcaster
12-04-2007, 03:56 PM
FRANKSTON, Texas - On a quiet, narrow side street in Frankston, there sits a modest white frame house, surrounded by towering trees and well-established neighbors. Leaves in rich earthy hues drift to the ground, caught up in the whisper of a cool fall breeze.

Pull into the driveway and there is a comforting feeling of familiarity, like visiting a cherished grandparent.

There are potted plants on the porch and a squeaky screen door that complains when opened.

This is the home of Melvin and Minnie Lou Scott, married 80 years.

At 100 and 99, they still do their own yard work and eat bacon almost every day with breakfast.

Unlike most of us, they don't seem concerned about ultraviolet light, the effects of cholesterol or monitoring their body mass index.

They just focus on the simple things in life: mowing, gardening and puttering.

Their choice of pastimes seems to have little to do with age -- modest living has always been their credo.

"We've lived in this house 78 years," Mrs. Scott said, settling in at an aging yellow Formica top kitchen table. "That road outside was the highway to Athens and Dallas when we built."

Her husband said, "We had our house built right after we married."

Like the highway, rerouted years earlier, many things have changed over the past eight decades.

"Out of my whole class in school, everyone died but me," she said. "I'm the only one living. I'm not sure why I lived this long. I didn't think I would."

Hard Work

The Scotts married on Nov. 11, 1927 -- the same year Philo T. Farnsworth invented television, artists began carving Mount Rushmore and Babe Ruth was the first baseball player to hit 60 runs in a single season.

They could be the oldest married couple in the United States, but neither seems to dwell on the possibility.

"When the Depression hit, that was terrible," she said. "You couldn't get work nowhere."

Scott said he eventually found work driving a truck and later took a second job.

"I worked until I was 82 as a night watchman," he said.

While he worked, Mrs. Scott took care of the home front.

The couple can't pinpoint what factors contributed to their marital longevity, but they remain grateful to have shared so many happy years together.

"We've been knowing each other all of our life," Scott said. "I don't know what it was about her. We were just used to being around each other."

The Scotts grew up in neighboring towns and gathered occasionally to compete in sporting events.

They eventually decided to marry, but the ceremony was anything but typical.

"They were married on the stage of a traveling tent show," said James Scott, 78, the couple's only child. "The producers of the show offered $25 to any couple who would be married on their show. Since they were getting married anyway, they took them up on it -- just about everyone in the area was there."

James Scott said he grew up hearing the story of the high profile marriage, but his memories center on his parent's love of the outdoors, especially family fishing trips.

Decades later, they are still on the go.

"He was out mowing a few minutes ago," James Scott said, glancing sideways at his father, who was grinning broadly. "He was still operating a chain saw or driving a tractor until a couple of years ago."

The elder Scott said he didn't give up his saw or his tractor by choice.

"When my doctor found out, he told me to stop," he said.

'Clean Life'

In eight decades of marriage, the couple said they've never had a fight.

"We've had lots of discussions," Scott said.

"I always lose," said Mrs. Scott. "He decides what he wants to do and does it."

The couple celebrated their 80-year union Nov. 11 during a party filled with family and well-wishers.

Known as "Gramps and Granny" to their family, the Scotts have three grandchildren, four great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.

Walls of their home are decorated with family photos, vacation souvenirs and paintings of beloved pets, including Missy, their 14-year-old terrier mix.

Scott turns 101 in February; Mrs. Scott will celebrate her 100th birthday in May.

Early marriage photos depict a dark-headed couple with impish grins.

Their hair is sparkling silver now, but the expressions are the same.

When asked if her husband has developed an ego over his longevity, Mrs. Scott said. "I won't comment on that one."

The couple said there's no real secret to their long love affair.

"If people want to stay married, I guess I would tell them to live right, stay off dope and live a clean life," said Mrs. Scott.

Her husband offered a different perspective on living long and large.

"We've always worked," he said. "We still work. And we eat three meals a day."

James Scott said his parents' simple lifestyle provided valuable lessons.

"They taught me to live conservatively so I could save money," he said. "We didn't always agree, but we always managed to talk things through. I've always been able to depend on them. Now that the tables are turning, you definitely feel the obligation. They helped me when I needed help and now I do whatever I can to help them."

With their anniversary milestone behind them, the Scotts seem to be counting the days until the holidays when the entire family will come together in celebration.

"They're coming home for Christmas," said Mrs. Scott. "We can hardly wait."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/120507dntexscott.68f10657.html

kepdawg
12-04-2007, 03:58 PM
I just got done reading that and was about to post it here! Great story! :clap:

Adidas410s
12-04-2007, 04:01 PM
"If people want to stay married, I guess I would tell them to live right, stay off dope and live a clean life," said Mrs. Scott.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
12-04-2007, 04:51 PM
They sure don't look 100 years old!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/bilde.jpg

but their feet look exceptionally big!!

(I guess it's the camera angle):p

Phil C
12-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Now do any of you really expect this marriage to last?

:D