PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texans: What's The Problem?

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I know I can't be the ONLY Texans fan here. What do you guys think the problem is? Injuries aside, they have been playing some uninspired, gutless football the last few weeks, in my opinion. Schaub getting knocked out was about the worst thing that could've happened to them, but Rosenfels is a very capable backup. The way they're playing now though, I see them going 0-4 to finish the season...not even beating Denver. Now that's bad.

Anyone have an opinion as to what they need to do in the offseason to fix themselves?

big daddy russ
12-04-2007, 03:04 PM
It all starts at the LOS. They have a QB, they have (IMO) the second-best receiver in the league, the RB's have been serviceable, the D has been pretty darn good, and they've put themselves into a position to win just about every game. If they can rework that patchwork OL, they'll be in business.

Biggest concerns during the offseason:
1. OL (particularly LT)
2. RB
3. DB

BMOC
12-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Because they are in Houston!:p

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It all starts at the LOS. They have a QB, they have (IMO) the second-best receiver in the league, the RB's have been serviceable, the D has been pretty darn good, and they've put themselves into a position to win just about every game. If they can rework that patchwork OL, they'll be in business.

1. OL (particularly LT)
2. RB
3. DB

I agree with LT being the #1 priority. I want Ryan Clady in the 1st Round. But I believe LB should be priority #2, which is why I'm all for signing LB Lance Briggs in the offseason. The Texans defense has nobody to take some of the attention away from Mario Williams. Hopefully Okoye can take that next step next season and become a force to be reckoned with, but they have to, have to take some pressure off of Mario. Third I think should be to fire DC Richard Smith. This slouch drops 9 in coverage in the Tennessee game and Vince STILL completes a pass. That's typical of Smith. He's way too conservative for this Defense to become one of the better in the NFL. About RB, Chris Taylor should be good to go next season, and I really think he's a starting caliber RB in the league. I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a guy like Yvenson Bernard or Kalvin McRae on Day 2, though.

JJ7997
12-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
Because they are in Houston!:p

Thats wrong ! :(

BMOC
12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Its just a joke, I give my relatives Heck about it all the time. They live there and are huge fans. :D

Txbroadcaster
12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
To me the OL has not been as bad..18 sacks on the year to this point..not great, but better

I dont see alot of game breakers on offense, and not real fast..Yes Johnson is amazing, but he has no help..The running game has been a dissapointment

On D, again just not alot of playmakers..good solid players, but not the difference type makers

big daddy russ
12-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm not as big on them picking up a LB simply because I think they have a greater need (particularly in the Peyton-happy AFC South) to shore up their defensive backfield. Fred Bennett's looked like a solid pick so far and the Texans' second-best player covers the other side of the field, but I haven't seen anything from any of the safeties that makes me feel comfortable. Oh, and I'd like to see them key on rangy safeties with decent cover skills and a high football IQ. We don't need another Roy Williams, just a guy who can get from sideline to sideline and make some plays downfield.

While OLB is a need, it's not a necessity IMO. I love DeMeco in the middle, but Morlon Greenwood is definitely serviceable. If I were to put two other needs on there, though, I think it'd be 4.) OLB and 5.) DE.

big daddy russ
12-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
To me the OL has not been as bad..18 sacks on the year to this point..not great, but better

I like what you're getting at with the playmakers, but the 18 sacks masks how many times Schaub has been rocked, but has thrown it away just in the nick of time.

Bull Butter
12-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Andre Johnson(top WR)---missed 7 games
Dunta Robinson(top S)---out for the season
Ahman Green(top RB)---missed 6 games
Matt Schaub(top QB)--- missed 2 games and my be done for the season

That and leading the league in turnovers is the reason they're 5-7

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm not as big on them picking up a LB simply because I think they have a greater need (particularly in the Peyton-happy AFC South) to shore up their defensive backfield. Fred Bennett's looked like a solid pick so far and the Texans' second-best player covers the other side of the field, but I haven't seen anything from any of the safeties that makes me feel comfortable. Oh, and I'd like to see them key on rangy safeties with decent cover skills and a high football IQ. We don't need another Roy Williams, just a guy who can get from sideline to sideline and make some plays downfield.

While OLB is a need, it's not a necessity IMO. I love DeMeco in the middle, but Morlon Greenwood is definitely serviceable. If I were to put two other needs on there, though, I think it'd be 4.) OLB and 5.) DE.

Serviceable isn't good enough if you want to get to the next level.

Drafting a RB in the 1st Round is the dumbest thing a NFL team could do, IMO. There's a reason RB is the easiest position to make the transition from one level to the next. Signing Michael Turner would also be a waste of money. While he may turn out to be a solid starter, the money could be better spent.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Dunta Robinson(top S)---out for the season

That and leading the league in turnovers is the reason they're 5-7

Dunta Robinson is a CB. I agree about the turnovers though.

I think our strength and conditioning coach Dan Riley should be on the hotseat. He's got to bear some of the responsibility for all these injuries.

crzyjournalist03
12-04-2007, 03:32 PM
The Texans need a legitimate RB...Ron Dayne, Ahman Green, whoever the heck they're running out there isn't a #1 back type of guy...I wouldn't be surprised to see them pursue Julius Jones in the offseason and try to pair him with Dayne or Green...

LH Panther Mom
12-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I like what you're getting at with the playmakers, but the 18 sacks masks how many times Schaub has been rocked, but has thrown it away just in the nick of time.
Oh, so maybe it wasn't ALL Carr's fault? ;)

Txbroadcaster
12-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

yea it was..he is gun shy at Carolina as well..He just does not have good pocket presence

LH Panther Mom
12-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yea it was..he is gun shy at Carolina as well..He just does not have good pocket presence
Oh, I agree he's not all that. But one of the gripes while he was there was the OL not protecting him. Heck, if I got sacked as many times as he did while with the Texans, I might be gun shy, too. From the sounds of it, they're doing a better job protecting Schaub, but better does not equal good.

big daddy russ
12-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Not at all. I was a Carr supporter until he proved he was worth as much as a $3 bill after being shipped to Carolina.

I still think that getting knocked around that much was what turned him into the sorry sight of a QB he is today.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Not at all. I was a Carr supporter until he proved he was worth as much as a $3 bill after being shipped to Carolina.

I still think that getting knocked around that much was what turned him into the sorry sight of a QB he is today.

Do they make $3 bills now? ;)

big daddy russ
12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Do they make $3 bills now? ;)
If they do, I'd like to retract my statement.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 03:59 PM
If they do, I'd like to retract my statement.

They don't. I was just trying to let my sense of humor shine through. lol

I'm still afraid Matt's going to turn into another David Carr eventually. They keep ignoring the OL like it's irrelevant in Houston. Rookies Kasey Studdard and Brandon Frye, and 2nd year guy Mike Brisiel are now in a 3-way competition for starting RG after the injuries to Chris White and Fred Weary. That's how depleted we are.

carter08
12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
One word.

Injuries.

IHStangFan
12-04-2007, 06:27 PM

1. OL (particularly LT)
2. RB
3. DB agreed. The injury bug didn't help things along either...they pretty much had to go to the street at one point to put a full starting WR corps together. I'd say they've done alright considering all of the circumstances. They get healthy, that will cut down on the inconsistencies...things will start to turn around.

Gobbla2001
12-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Oh, I agree he's not all that. But one of the gripes while he was there was the OL not protecting him. Heck, if I got sacked as many times as he did while with the Texans, I might be gun shy, too. From the sounds of it, they're doing a better job protecting Schaub, but better does not equal good.

no, the job isn't any better IMHO... Shaub just knows what to do when a defense is barrelling on him:

A.) Run outside and try to make something happen (which he has done many times this year, successfully in a lot of cases)
B.) Do something besides stand there and get sacked
C.) Don't be David Carr
D.) Don't act like you're about to be shipped to Carolina

IHStangFan
12-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
no, the job isn't any better IMHO... Shaub just knows what to do when a defense is barrelling on him:

A.) Run outside and try to make something happen (which he has done many times this year, successfully in a lot of cases)
B.) Do something besides stand there and get sacked
C.) Don't be David Carr
D.) Don't act like you're about to be shipped to Carolina LOL...nice...

but honestly I think Carr in the beginning....had real potential...but the lack of an O line to protect him..and getting sacked so many times he led the NFL MORE than once in that particular category....I think ruined him...he became gunshy and the happy feet began to take over for his brain. Sad actually....I think he coulda been decent.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LOL...nice...

but honestly I think Carr in the beginning....had real potential...but the lack of an O line to protect him..and getting sacked so many times he led the NFL MORE than once in that particular category....I think ruined him...he became gunshy and the happy feet began to take over for his brain. Sad actually....I think he coulda been decent.

When did my thread turn into a flashback to 2002? ;)

IHStangFan
12-04-2007, 07:23 PM
When did my thread turn into a flashback to 2002? ;) LOL..when the name "David Carr" got thrown into the mix.

LH Panther Mom
12-04-2007, 07:25 PM
LOL..when the name "David Carr" got thrown into the mix.
:doh: :doh: That would be my fault, but "some" of what plagued him still exists with the 2007 version.

IHStangFan
12-04-2007, 07:27 PM
:doh: :doh: That would be my fault, but "some" of what plagued him still exists with the 2007 version. yup...after his stay in Houston...and getting planted like a fledgling oak on a tree farm...he'll never be the same.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 07:28 PM
LOL..when the name "David Carr" got thrown into the mix.

Who? I'm not familiar with that name.

IHStangFan
12-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Who? I'm not familiar with that name. LMAO!! you know....David Carr....Mr. "I've spent more time on my back in the NFL than a mechanic that does exhaust systems down at Joe's garage" I ran into him last year in a local burger joint face to face as he bumped into me at the soda machine....was surprised at how skinny he was...I mean..he was ripped...but very skinny. It's a wonder in itself how he never got seriously hurt.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
LMAO!! you know....David Carr....Mr. "I've spent more time on my back in the NFL than a mechanic that does exhaust systems down at Joe's garage" I ran into him last year in a local burger joint face to face as he bumped into me at the soda machine....was surprised at how skinny he was...I mean..he was ripped...but very skinny. It's a wonder in itself how he never got seriously hurt.

Did he have slicked back hair and white gloves on too?

I'm willing to bet anything that it's Celine Dion coming out of that earpiece during games, and not his OC.

IHStangFan
12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Did he have slicked back hair and white gloves on too?

I'm willing to bet anything that it's Celine Dion coming out of that earpiece during games, and not his OC. LOL...nah...he had a hat on real low w/ a flat bill...when we walked in my wife and I were actually making fun of him before we realized who it was.....when I bumped into him at the soda machine...he tried to run instinctively and then fell down on his back and fumbled his soda then started looking around for the flag. It was quite sad. :D

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 07:44 PM
LOL...nah...he had a hat on real low w/ a flat bill...when we walked in my wife and I were actually making fun of him before we realized who it was.....when I bumped into him at the soda machine...he tried to run instinctively and then fell down on his back and fumbled his soda then started looking around for the flag. It was quite sad. :D

You should have heard what some of the Houston sports radio guys were saying about him on air after the Panthers game Week 2.

Here's a G rated sample:

"I've got one word for what David Carr looked like on the sidelines for the Carolina Panthers and it starts with a P."

LOL