PDA

View Full Version : December 4, 1987--20 Years Ago

maroonpirate04
12-04-2007, 01:16 PM
It was getting down to the wire this weekend and things were heating up in the start of wintering month of December and only 8 teams were left in the state of Texas in Class 3A Quarterfinals

QUARTERFINALS
McGregor 12...Waco La Vega 6
Southlake Carroll 24...Gladewater 20
Cameron 13...Corrigan Camden 0
Cuero 33...La Grange 14

Other Classes
Class 5A
Odessa Permian 35...Arlington 35 (Permian advances)
Plano 24...Houston Cyrpess Fairbanks 21
Houston Stratford 17...Aldine MacArthur 13
Sugarland Willowridge 14...San Antonio Churchill 12 (Sugarland is now named Fort Bend)

Class 4A
Sweetwater 35...Canyon 14
Rockwall 34...Kilgore 21
West Orange Stark 30...West Columbia 7
Kerrville Tivy 27...Schertz Clemens 7

Class 2A
New Deal 21...Abernathy 0
Lorena 15...Pilot Point 11
Groveton 34...Eustace 14
Refugio 42...Schulenburg 13

Class A
Wheeler 21...Vega 7
Munday 17...Paducah 14
Tenaha 7...Wortham 6
Bremond 15...Flatonia 14

3afan
12-04-2007, 01:17 PM
funny how many of those teams have changes conferences .......

Gsquared
12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
It was getting down to the wire this weekend and things were heating up in the start of wintering month of December and only 8 teams were left in the state of Texas in Class 3A Quarterfinals

QUARTERFINALS
McGregor 12...Waco La Vega 6
Southlake Carroll 24...Gladewater 20
Cameron 13...Corrigan Camden 0
Cuero 33...La Grange 14

Other Classes
Class 5A
Odessa Permian 35...Arlington 35 (Permian advances)
Plano 24...Houston Cyrpess Fairbanks 21
Houston Stratford 17...Aldine MacArthur 13
Sugarland Willowridge 14...San Antonio Churchill 12 (Sugarland is now named Fort Bend)

Class 4A
Sweetwater 35...Canyon 14
Rockwall 34...Kilgore 21
West Orange Stark 30...West Columbia 7
Kerrville Tivy 27...Schertz Clemens 7

Class 2A
New Deal 21...Abernathy 0
Lorena 15...Pilot Point 11
Groveton 34...Eustace 14
Refugio 42...Schulenburg 13

Class A
Wheeler 21...Vega 7
Munday 17...Paducah 14
Tenaha 7...Wortham 6
Bremond 15...Flatonia 14
Man, that Refugio team was loaded, Willie Mack Garza was a stud.

Maroon87
12-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Man, that Refugio team was loaded, Willie Mack Garza was a stud.

I know...I still can't believe they didn't win it all.:doh:

themsu97
12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
I went to the WOS-Columbia game at the dome... that WOS team was outstanding...but at this time 20 years ago I, and many of my friends, were on pins and needles waiting on the next Saturday to be at the Summit to see Tesla and Def Leppard... quite possibly the greatest concert, outside of Texas Jam, I have ever been to

Old Green
12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I know...I still can't believe they didn't win it all.:doh: Willie Mack was a stud. He played the last three playoff games with a severe hip pointer. That slowed him down greatly in the Championship game with Lorena.

Maroon87
12-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
I went to the WOS-Columbia game at the dome... that WOS team was outstanding...but at this time 20 years ago I, and many of my friends, were on pins and needles waiting on the next Saturday to be at the Summit to see Tesla and Def Leppard... quite possibly the greatest concert, outside of Texas Jam, I have ever been to

I miss the Texas Jam. I went to several of them, including 1987 with Boston, Aerosmith, Tesla, Poison, and Whitesnake. :thumbsup:

themsu97
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM
that one was awesome... we actually flew to Dallas from Houston for that one... we drove every other time...

then they went to the Monsters of Rock after that... Van Halen I think put those together... what I miss most of all I think is MTV actually playing videos and head bangers ball

Maroon87
12-04-2007, 02:45 PM
that one was awesome... we actually flew to Dallas from Houston for that one... we drove every other time...

then they went to the Monsters of Rock after that... Van Halen I think put those together... what I miss most of all I think is MTV actually playing videos and head bangers ball

I know! I went to the Jam in 1986 with Van Halen and the one in '87. In '88 I went to Monsters of Rock at Rice Stadium with VH, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken, and Kingdom Come.

After that those big shows just kinda fizzled out.:(

themsu97
12-04-2007, 02:48 PM
'87 at Dallas, didn't Paul Stanley come out and play with Poison?

and we had this debate the other night... and maybe you could help... it was at '87 when the naked dude climbed to the top of the tower... not at Rice at Monsters of Rock correct?

Maroon87
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
'87 at Dallas, didn't Paul Stanley come out and play with Poison?

and we had this debate the other night... and maybe you could help... it was at '87 when the naked dude climbed to the top of the tower... not at Rice at Monsters of Rock correct?

I think Stanley did come out and play Rock N Roll all Nite with Poison.

And yeah the naked dude on the sound tower was '87. I get asked to tell that story quite often by my co-workers. That dude was BLASTED!! I thought he was gonna fall. I don't think anyone was watching the stage at that point.:eek:

BMOC
12-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Wasn't that the year that Permian won it all and they made a big deal about the whole "Tie Breaker" thing?

maroonpirate04
12-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Gosh 20 years went fast, the time when big hair was in and it was cool 4 men to wear more make-up than your sister and Rock was considered 'Hard Rock' and people were doing the wave at the football games and that time bands would yell "We Got Spirit How Bout You" to each other or play the same song to see which band played the loudest, and remember going cruising around town with my brother in law listening to Def Leopard, Aerosmith, Matallica, Van Halen :smoker: gettin' high :D

maroonpirate04
12-04-2007, 03:57 PM
On the big screen these films were released
Home Is Where The Heart Is
Student Confidential
Throw Momma From The Train
Wall Street

On the charts these tracks were fresh "True Faith" by New Order,"Seasons Change" by Expose, and "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure

And on the top of the charts Belinda Carlisle dominated the #1 spot for the second week in a row with "Heaven Is Place On Earth", at #2 "Faith" by George Micheal and Richard Marx stayed stranded at #3 with "Should've Known Better" for the second week

themsu97
12-05-2007, 06:36 AM
i fell asleep in Throw mamma from the train... it was terrible...

The sound tower... that dude was blasted

Maroon87
12-05-2007, 11:37 AM

The sound tower... that dude was blasted

I remember that the cops started climbing up to get him. They eventually talked him down, but right about the time he got close enough he kicked at one of the cops on the ground. They pulled him down and Rodney King-ed him pretty good. Then they took him away hog-tied (or cuffed).

Must've sucked, having to spend the night in the Dallas jail drunk and naked.:eek:

themsu97
12-05-2007, 12:14 PM
especially in Dallas, they should have taken him to "that" part of town and put him in jail there... I remeber all of that... How I miss my younger days... but now I could possibly be teaching that guys kid

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I remember 20 years ago I had played my last football game at Arlington Martin. I was sitting home rooting on Arlington Lamar who was defeated by Permian.

BullFrog Dad
12-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I went to the '78 and '79 TeXXas Jams. Artists who performed at the Texxas Jam:

1978 (July 1):

Aerosmith
Eddie Money
Ted Nugent
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Head East
Heart
Mahogany Rush
Van Halen
Walter Egan
Journey
Blackstone
1979: (June 9): Texxas Music Festival, Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas (General Admission - $15.00)

Boston
Heart
Van Halen
Sammy Hagar
Nazareth
Blue Öyster Cult
TKO

Maroon87
12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad

1978 (July 1):

Aerosmith
Eddie Money
Ted Nugent
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Head East
Heart
Mahogany Rush
Van Halen
Walter Egan
Journey
Blackstone
1979: (June 9): Texxas Music Festival, Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas (General Admission - $15.00)

Boston
Heart
Van Halen
Sammy Hagar
Nazareth
Blue Öyster Cult
TKO

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

44INAROW
12-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad

1978 (July 1):

Aerosmith
Eddie Money
Ted Nugent
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Head East
Heart
Mahogany Rush
Van Halen
Walter Egan
Journey
Blackstone

Boston
Heart
Van Halen
Sammy Hagar
Nazareth
Blue Öyster Cult
TKO

Head East - "Flat as a Pancake' tour...... OMG the flood of memories :)
in 1976 we went to see Santana at Rice Univ stadium. Marshall Tucker opened for them....... That's all I remember about that (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) lol..........

Favorite Concert - 1977 in San Antonio - Boston, Moxy, and Black Sabbath - next weekend - AC/DC, Leslie West (Mountain) and Rex....... those were the days :):smoker: :smoker:
well, there was the time a bunch of us skipped school and went to Houston to see Deep Purple in 1974 (I was grounded FOREVER but it was worth it)