PDA

View Full Version : DISD Looking Into Post Game Incident

3afan
12-04-2007, 07:39 AM
DISD probes Roosevelt football fight
12:37 AM CST on Tuesday, December 4, 2007
By CRAIG CIVALE / WFAA-TV

DALLAS - The Dallas Independent School District is investigating an ugly end to one of its football games.

Players from Roosevelt High School are accused of instigating a near brawl. Cameras at the game even caught one player punching an opposing coach.

The Roosevelt Mustangs lost their playoff game on Saturday to the Gilmer Buckeyes of East Texas. It was a hard fought game on the field, and when the final whistle blew, the emotions never stopped.

Amateur video showed Roosevelt players dressed in white uniforms charging the sideline , which was where Gilmer players and fans were celebrating.

A New 8 camera person became caught in the midst of the action as well and captured what Gilmer's superintendent, Rick Albritton, called, "them storming our bench."

"We had some trainers pushed over in the mash," Albritton said. "We had a young lady pushed over. One of our coaches [struck in the face]."

The video showed a Roosevelt player throw a roundhouse right to the head of one of the Gilmer coaches. A police officer was also seen pulling the player off.

Dallas school officials are investigating the post-game incident.

Despite the commotion, there were no serious injuries to those involved, but the trophy presentation was delayed until order was restored.

"This isn't about any specific punishment," said lew Blackburn, DISD trustee. "I trust Mike Hinojosa and the UIL to do whatever they need to do."

Gilmer's superintendent is drafting a complaint to the DISD and the University Interscholastic League. He has asked that both groups look into the actions of some of the Mustang players.

LINK (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa071203_mo_dallasfootballbrawl.65b5ae8a.html)

Who-dun-it!!?
12-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Looks like # 7 who assaulted the Gilmer Coach. Charges should be filed on this little thug. This behavior is unacceptable. Hope he gets what he deserves.

BullFrog Dad
12-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Roosevelt and Madison had a double forfeit in V-Ball this year due to a fight during a match.

kaorder1999
12-04-2007, 09:26 AM
embarrasing!

3afan
12-04-2007, 09:41 AM
its a shame the actions of a few can (or could) tarnish an entire ISD !!!

RattlerDude
12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
I understand anger, frustration, and sadness but I definitely don't agree with what that player did. He should be declared ineligible for all sports for the rest of the year and however many years he has left.

The guy on the Ravens looked like he was about to do something stupid last night as well.

RattlerDude
12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
What was the score?

Corn Cob
12-04-2007, 09:46 AM
This shouldn't be a surprise! Inner-city Dallas, what else do you expect? I hope the UIL bans them from competition next year. You know the Dallas school officials aren't going to do anything!

Adidas410s
12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Corn Cob
This shouldn't be a surprise! Inner-city Dallas, what else do you expect? I hope the UIL bans them from competition next year. You know the Dallas school officials aren't going to do anything!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
12-04-2007, 09:53 AM

Does what happened make Dallas ISD look bad? Of course it does. Does that mean that it happens all across Dallas? Nope. I've been to a Dallas ISD game every week for the entire season and Saturday's game was the first incident like that I've seen. You have no idea what the Dallas ISD will do about this incident.

3afan
12-04-2007, 10:08 AM

moron ......

Ranger Mom
12-04-2007, 10:11 AM
When this happened in the Greenwood/Daingerfield game in 2002, we didn't even finish the game.

The clock showed 34 seconds, our QB took a knee and some guy flew over the line and jumped on him. The majority of the Daingerfield bench cleared and came out on the field. I know our backup QB who was playing safety at the time was blindsided and had some bruised ribs. Our boys stayed on the sidelines and let the refs, coaches, principals and police sort it out.

Refs called GAME OVER. Daingerfield fans were throwing water bottles on to the field...it was UGLY!!!!

Whatever trophy, medals, or whatever we were supposed to get that night, we didn't get. Our ISD went out and bought our own!!

After it was all said and done and UIL reviewed it, it was left up to the Daingerfield coaches to punish the players.

I know there was some punishment immediately, but for those involved that came back to play the next season, they were suspended for the first 3 football games.

Corn Cob
12-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
moron ......

It's always funny how when someone states the truth that is not "politically correct", people react the way you just did. You know that a large percentage of folks who read my post believe what I said. It's the old saying: "the truth hurts"!

Txbroadcaster
12-04-2007, 10:29 AM
It's always funny how when someone states the truth that is not "politically correct", people react the way you just did. You know that a large percentage of folks who read my post believe what I said. It's the old saying: "the truth hurts"!

It is not that ur being politically incorrect, it is that your painting a whole DISD system my the actions of TWO OR THREE PLAYERS...If the WHOLE team had done it, you would have merit, but the fact is the rest of the Velt team went over along with coaches and stopped the few bad apples

Ranger Mom
12-04-2007, 10:34 AM

We have a DISD coach on this board who has stated his embarrassment over this several times.

I don't think this is the "norm" for a DISD school, inner-city or not!!

pirate4state
12-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is not that ur being politically incorrect, it is that your painting a whole DISD system my the actions of TWO OR THREE PLAYERS...If the WHOLE team had done it, you would have merit, but the fact is the rest of the Velt team went over along with coaches and stopped the few bad apples Agreed.

Ranger Mom
12-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I just saw video clip of it....it didn't even look like the majority of Roosevelt players had a clue what was even going on.

And...IMO, the #7 who socked the coach in the head was pulled off by a police officer!! I think he should have arrested that punk for assault RIGHT THEN!!!

pirate4state
12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I just saw video clip of it....it didn't even look like the majority of Roosevelt players had a clue what was even going on. Well, I think they were just stunned too. It was only 2-3 players that were acting "outside their mind" and charging the Gilmer bench.

After the police & coaches and maybe some parents got the Roosevelt players away from the Gilmer bench - it was just heartbreaking to see them so devasted. I wish they had never acted out they way they did because they played their hearts out and to have THAT as the last image is truly sad.

tdsteele
12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
It was not the entire team. There were several players from Roosevelt that were dragging their teammates away and assisting the coaches in separating the melee. There were no more than 6 that were the instigators.

In fact, during Q4, I thought there was about to be a fight among 2 Roosevelt players after one dragged his teammate away from a pile and an official.

DDBooger
12-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Ah, we've seen that before! it can happen anywhere, Corpus Christi Carroll and Calallen got into a major brawl during a scrimmage, im talking the field looked like Stirling Bridge in Braveheart lmao. neither team has approached the other for a scrimmage or game since.

pirate4state
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Ah, we've seen that before! it can happen anywhere, Corpus Christi Carroll and Calallen got into a major brawl during a scrimmage, im talking the field looked like Stirling Bridge in Braveheart lmao. neither team has approached the other for a scrimmage or game since. True. Didn't Taft & Three Rivers break out into a brawl BEFORE their game a few years ago?

3afan
12-04-2007, 11:48 AM

so you really think because the boys are "Inner-city Dallas" then we should have expected that behavior? thats what you said ....

i hope not ......

Budman007
12-04-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm definitely not excusing it. But, this can happen to virtually anybody during and after the heat of the battle regardless of race, color or creed. It happened to our kids at the end of the game at last year's 7 on 7 state tourney against Athens and resulted in both teams being kicked out and banned from this coming year's tournament. An ugly side of the game that pops up now and then. Consequences must occur for those involved to learn that this is not acceptable behavior on or off the field.

JR2004
12-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Here we go again with this ignorant, uninformed garbage.

I'd enjoy hearing an explanation of why this shouldn't be a surprise since it's "Inner City Dallas"...

Feel free to start explaining.

Bull19
12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
they talked about the incident on channel 11 news outa houston while ago...showed the video of #7 clearly punching the coach.....

JR2004
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
We have a DISD coach on this board who has stated his embarrassment over this several times.

I don't think this is the "norm" for a DISD school, inner-city or not!!

10-15 years ago this was the norm. Heck this was the norm over at Madison not too long ago when Madison was wilder and more dangerous than the school from the movie Lean On Me.

Now not so much. DISD has changed a lot since then.

JR2004
12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Does what happened make Dallas ISD look bad? Of course it does. Does that mean that it happens all across Dallas? Nope. I've been to a Dallas ISD game every week for the entire season and Saturday's game was the first incident like that I've seen. You have no idea what the Dallas ISD will do about this incident.

I've only seen one thing like this during the 2007 season and it involved Pinkston. Then again anyone who knows a bit about them wasn't shocked to hear about their incident.

rangerjoe33
12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
This shouldn't be a surprise! Inner-city Dallas, what else do you expect? I hope the UIL bans them from competition next year. You know the Dallas school officials aren't going to do anything! I posted this elsewhere in response to a similar statement regarding this incident, people like you want to hold a coach or an entire program responsible for the actions of a few...very few. So you can replace coaches below with the program, the players next year do not need to be punished for actions of a senior this year.

"Look, I am not trying to defend the players that were foolish enough to react to the loss the way they did, it was ridiculous and uncalled for and they should be punished to the extent the law allows. I don't live in either Dallas or Gilmer, but I have attended school in both inner city Dallas and small town Texas. As far as the coaches go they had not seen their kids act out that way all year, why would they expect it at that moment? They did rush onto the field, they just could not get those three kids controlled in time. Again, the coaches were attempting to gain control and failed to do so in time to prevent some of the events that unfolded.
In addition, did you happen to notice how many coaches Roosevelt had? They do not have the number of coaches/staff that some other single high school, middle school ISD'd have. Those programs have Jr. High coaches that are position coaches, get back coaches, etc., that played a part in this as well. I am sure this comes across as attempting to defend and condone what happened...I am not attempting to do that at all. I am saying is don't be so judgemental of the coaching staff of an inner city school that has a completely different culture until you have walked a mile in their shoes. The challenges those teachers, coaches, and administrators face with their students in respect to discipline, education, and life lessons are completely, I mean 100% completely different challenges than those faced by small town, community ISD's. They do good to keep their kids interested enough in school to come to class daily, to encourage them and show them enough attention to keep them out of the streets, away from drugs and alcohol, etc. some of that takes place in small town Texas as well, but it is not presented to those kids everyday around every corner on the way to and from school. I would assume that a lot of those kids come from broken families, and in a lot of cases are only raised by a grandmother, or uncle, aunt, etc if they are lucky. They do not have a community looking out for them teaching the self discipline, etc the way we look after our children in small town Texas. To hold the coaches responsible to a point of losing their job for 3 of 42 kids' actions is not right."

Stownhorse
12-04-2007, 03:03 PM

I understand where you are coming from. But I dont understand how people took it that you meant the WHOLE DISD?!?! He is entitled to his opinion. I also think its funny how when a newbie comes to the board and they make a statement that you dont agree with or you dont see clearly that posters on this board smell "fresh meat" they attack.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
Looks like # 7 who assaulted the Gilmer Coach. Charges should be filed on this little thug. This behavior is unacceptable. Hope he gets what he deserves.

I agree. If he's an underclassman, he needs to be put on JV next season. Kicking him out of the program wouldn't be the right thing to do. I'm not condoning his behavior, but the game was played with intense emotion on both sides. Kids like that just need a little time to think about what they did and how boneheaded it was. Giving up on him wouldn't be beneficial for anyone.

EDIT: I think he's a Senior.

Ranger Mom
12-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
I posted this elsewhere in response to a similar statement regarding this incident, people like you want to hold a coach or an entire program responsible for the actions of a few...very few. So you can replace coaches below with the program, the players next year do not need to be punished for actions of a senior this year.

"Look, I am not trying to defend the players that were foolish enough to react to the loss the way they did, it was ridiculous and uncalled for and they should be punished to the extent the law allows. I don't live in either Dallas or Gilmer, but I have attended school in both inner city Dallas and small town Texas. As far as the coaches go they had not seen their kids act out that way all year, why would they expect it at that moment? They did rush onto the field, they just could not get those three kids controlled in time. Again, the coaches were attempting to gain control and failed to do so in time to prevent some of the events that unfolded.
In addition, did you happen to notice how many coaches Roosevelt had? They do not have the number of coaches/staff that some other single high school, middle school ISD'd have. Those programs have Jr. High coaches that are position coaches, get back coaches, etc., that played a part in this as well. I am sure this comes across as attempting to defend and condone what happened...I am not attempting to do that at all. I am saying is don't be so judgemental of the coaching staff of an inner city school that has a completely different culture until you have walked a mile in their shoes. The challenges those teachers, coaches, and administrators face with their students in respect to discipline, education, and life lessons are completely, I mean 100% completely different challenges than those faced by small town, community ISD's. They do good to keep their kids interested enough in school to come to class daily, to encourage them and show them enough attention to keep them out of the streets, away from drugs and alcohol, etc. some of that takes place in small town Texas as well, but it is not presented to those kids everyday around every corner on the way to and from school. I would assume that a lot of those kids come from broken families, and in a lot of cases are only raised by a grandmother, or uncle, aunt, etc if they are lucky. They do not have a community looking out for them teaching the self discipline, etc the way we look after our children in small town Texas. To hold the coaches responsible to a point of losing their job for 3 of 42 kids' actions is not right."

Excellent post!!:clap: :clap:

eagles_victory
12-04-2007, 03:14 PM
This could happen with anyone so you cant just say ah typical DISD thugs. However, I wont ever condone this kind of action on a football field. It is called maturity and learning how to handle adversity that is one of the best lessons you can learn from sports is how to handle adversity. This puts a black eye on what was a great football game. I didnt see it live but IMO it looks like more then a couple players from Roosevelt over there on the Gilmer side.

Now I am not going to blame the whole Roosevelt team but for everyone getting mad at people for looking down on the whole Roosevelt team you have to kind of look at it. It is human nature to see a few "bad apples" as I believe Terry said and group everyone with them. Its just like if you see a car full of people and two are smoking pot and three arent your still going to look at those other 3 as "pot heads" or drugies or whatever term you like to use. So Im not going to be too quick to jump and defend Roosevelt for starting an after game altercation.

Another thing being overlooked is that this happens so often. I mean look at Waxahacie and Ennis a few years ago or as Kellye said Greenwood and Daingerfield. But when you are a Dallas school you are going to be put under a little bit more of a microscope then other schools around the state( like the Carter vs Kimball i think it was basketball fight that got national news a few years ago). Its not fair but that is just the way it is. Plus the magnitude of this game is something you also have to consider. When your a great football team like Roosevelt was and make it all the way to play in huge games you are even putting yourself under more of a microscope.

The saddest thing about this is that when we talk about this game we are talking about the after game altercations. I wish more then anything right now I was sitting here typing about Vincent Mcneil Jr and how great he was and how he is the best 3a QB in the state. Or how rugged Justin Johnson is and how he is so hard to bring down when he gets going. As Terry said best 3a playoff game this year and hope its remembered for that and not the altercation afterwards.

Lastly I hope to be a coach one day and if I was the coach of the Roosevelt team number 7 would never play for me again. I wouldnt coach a kid who acted like that. I mean i believe in forgivness and all of that and everyone deserves a second chance. But hitting a defenseless non looking opposing coach it doesnt get much lower then that.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Excellent post!!:clap: :clap:

It's a Head Coach's job to keep his players from doing stupid things like this. Of course it's partly the coach's fault that this happened. Should he be fired? No. But it's just as much his fault as it is the player's. Mental toughness is as much a part of the game as X's and O's are.

lostaussie
12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
iv'e talked about this and now i am tired of talking about it. there were a few who acted out of line. their were many who were trying to do the right thing including players and coaches. it is just an unfortunate incident that is over.

buff4ever
12-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Wow, too bad this happened. Don't let it bother your focus this week Gilmer, MOVE ON!;)

Who-dun-it!!?
12-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by RattlerDude
I understand anger, frustration, and sadness but I definitely don't agree with what that player did. He should be declared ineligible for all sports for the rest of the year and however many years he has left.

The guy on the Ravens looked like he was about to do something stupid last night as well.

Thats where these young impressionable kids learn this crap. Being an athlete makes you imune to the rules

Who-dun-it!!?
12-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I just saw video clip of it....it didn't even look like the majority of Roosevelt players had a clue what was even going on.

And...IMO, the #7 who socked the coach in the head was pulled off by a police officer!! I think he should have arrested that punk for assault RIGHT THEN!!!

I would have!

Who-dun-it!!?
12-04-2007, 05:40 PM
I posted this elsewhere in response to a similar statement regarding this incident, people like you want to hold a coach or an entire program responsible for the actions of a few...very few. So you can replace coaches below with the program, the players next year do not need to be punished for actions of a senior this year.

Bet there was some good points in there, but to much to read.

Big Papa
12-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Bet there was some good points in there, but to much to read.

ROFL....i did the same exact thing:D

Old Tiger
12-04-2007, 05:42 PM
is this on youtube yet? I gotta see this!

Who-dun-it!!?
12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
I agree. If he's an underclassman, he needs to be put on JV next season. Kicking him out of the program wouldn't be the right thing to do. I'm not condoning his behavior, but the game was played with intense emotion on both sides. Kids like that just need a little time to think about what they did and how boneheaded it was. Giving up on him wouldn't be beneficial for anyone.

EDIT: I think he's a Senior.

I disagree about kicking him out. No player should ever get away with assaulting an opposing coach. Charges should be filed, and he should be declared inelligable. I understand some of the reasons for not kicking him off the team, but this is a situation that should have zero tolerance.

Buckeye80
12-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I would assume that a lot of those kids come from broken families, and in a lot of cases are only raised by a grandmother, or uncle, aunt, etc if they are lucky. They do not have a community looking out for them teaching the self discipline, etc the way we look after our children in small town Texas.

Look. I'm willing to concede that most of these kids probably do live in a pretty crappy situation that I never would want for my children.
But this kid hit a coach......A COACH....... from an opposing team in the back of the head just because his team lost a football game. Someone said that giving up on this kid would be the wrong thing to do. Does anyone really believe that a year or two more of playing football is going to keep a kid like that out of the pen? The majority of the team (raised in similar environments, facing similar challenges) did not act out like he did. If he's a senior, then good riddance! If he was an underclassman, I would be outraged (but not truly surprised) if he suited up for football again!
How about we not victimize the kids from Dallas who assaulted other people! Let's hold these kids accountable for their actions instead of explaining away what they did as behavior resulting from a bad upbringing!

JR2004
12-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
How about we not victimize the kids from Dallas who assaulted other people! Let's hold these kids accountable for their actions instead of explaining away what they did as behavior resulting from a bad upbringing!

Clueless...

Who-dun-it!!?
12-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Look. I'm willing to concede that most of these kids probably do live in a pretty crappy situation that I never would want for my children.
But this kid hit a coach......A COACH....... from an opposing team in the back of the head just because his team lost a football game. Someone said that giving up on this kid would be the wrong thing to do. Does anyone really believe that a year or two more of playing football is going to keep a kid like that out of the pen? The majority of the team (raised in similar environments, facing similar challenges) did not act out like he did. If he's a senior, then good riddance! If he was an underclassman, I would be outraged (but not truly surprised) if he suited up for football again!
How about we not victimize the kids from Dallas who assaulted other people! Let's hold these kids accountable for their actions instead of explaining away what they did as behavior resulting from a bad upbringing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Buckeye80
12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Clueless...

That's right, that's right. I forgot. I could never understand what these kids have seen and faced. Gimme a break! Hitting a defenseless person in the back of the head is something that everyone knows is wrong despite how many drug dealers you may walk past on the way to school. But you know, walk in their shoes..........apologist!

JR2004
12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
That's right, that's right. I forgot. I could never understand what these kids have seen and faced.

That's right...You wouldn't and never will.

I didn't apologize for what he did...Don't come on here and pretend you know a thing though about inner-city kids when you don't have a clue.

Buckeye80
12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Don't come on here and pretend you know a thing though about inner-city kids when you don't have a clue.

And after seeing what I saw after Saturday's game, I don't think I'd care to know anything about that particular thug. The actions of a complete moron which include (stay with me here) ASSAULTING ANOTHER PERSON are somehow inexplicably held to a different standard to some because, "Hey! He's from the inner-city man!" is quite an absurd concept. Good luck in your lunacy!

Sincerely,
White guy who doesn't "get it".

dogdad
12-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Roosevelt's #7 was ejected from the RC game lat week, so his actions in the Gilmer game should not have come as a great surprise to anyone IMHO. I am told that he is a defending state champion in track also. He would not be representing my school again in any activity if it was up to me.

JR2004
12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
guy who doesn't "get it".

You're correct...You don't get it, just like a good chunk of folks from small towns (myself at one point) who have never bothered to venture out of their comfort zone.

Buckeye80
12-04-2007, 07:47 PM
You're correct...You don't get it, just like a good chunk of folks from small towns (myself at one point) who have never bothered to venture out of their comfort zone.

I spent five years in the US Marine Corps, lived in Japan for two years and Hawaii for another two. But you're right. Someday I hope to load up ma and the young 'uns and visit a city of at least 500 folks. That'll sure be excitin'.
Dismiss me as an ignorant redneck if it makes you feel better, but now it is you who doesn't know what you're talking about.

JR2004
12-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I spent five years in the US Marine Corps, lived in Japan for two years and Hawaii for another two. But you're right. Someday I hope to load up ma and the young 'uns and visit a city of at least 500 folks. That'll sure be excitin'.
Dismiss me as an ignorant redneck if it makes you feel better, but now it is you who doesn't know what you're talking about.

Still no clue about inner-city kids...Poor fella...

Buckeye80
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM

I'm done with you. You win.

JR2004
12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm done with you. You win.

Sweet!

pirate4state
12-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Idiots both of you! :speech:

Maroon87
12-04-2007, 07:53 PM

No...he's just "keeping it real" in his own way.;)

sweetwater07
12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Sweet!

i know what you mean by "inner city kids"

i ran the inner city of Sweetwater for 3 years.....its rough out there for young kids like myself at the time

:D :D

Matthew328
12-04-2007, 09:26 PM
My two cents

1. To blame DISD or Roosevelt in general is very short sighted and ignorant, it was an isolated incident IMO and not a relection of Roosevelt. It's only a bad reflection on the kids involved.

2. As for the kids involved, they need to be punished and punished severely. That kind of stuff can't be condoned, to me its a punk move for hitting someone who isn't even looking anyway. If you are gonna hit someone at least man up and hit him while he's looking. But thats beside the point, he shouldn't have been doing what he was doing plain and simple.

3. For anyone to charecterize this is an inner city thing is also ignorant. I persoanally have seen Wylie and Bay City fight at a 7 on 7 game along with Bridgeport and Athens. None are inner city. Not to mention Daingerfield's incident in 2002. So get your head out of your you know what if you this is some inner city thug thing. Thats so assenine its laughable.

4. I can't make any excuses for this kid just because he more than likley comes from an environment that is not the best for being raised (of course we don't know this for sure, just because he's from the 'Velt doesn't mean he didn't come from a good home etc but odds are he didn't have the best conditions). The kid has had to have had some kind of guidance and morals instilled in him from someone and I am certian he's smart enough to know right from wrong. I KNOW Coach Daniels ain't teaching none of his players to act like that, so even if he didn't have guidance at home he's getting on the field. So I can't make the excuse of being a product of his environment, you gotta know right from wrong bottom line.

Who-dun-it!!?
12-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
Roosevelt's #7 was ejected from the RC game lat week, so his actions in the Gilmer game should not have come as a great surprise to anyone IMHO. I am told that he is a defending state champion in track also. He would not be representing my school again in any activity if it was up to me.

Dito!!

Rabbit'93
12-04-2007, 09:52 PM
JR2004...I'm not trying to stir...but please explain what it is about "inner city" kids that we don't understand.

lostaussie
12-04-2007, 09:53 PM
everybody knows right from wrong, whether they own up to it or not. I won't even begin to say i know what some of those kids have been through. but i will say this and i have told my parents the same thing. I may not have always done the right thing, but when i was doing wrong, i sure as hell new it.

Who-dun-it!!?
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
inner-city, country, big town, small town...

A thug is a thug no matter where he lives or grew up or how much money his family has. 2Pac had loads of money, lotta good its doin him now. I've seen rich kids and poor kids alike become thugs. And I've been in Law-Enforcement in big and small towns alike. And I assure you, a thug is a thug.

eagles_victory
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
you cant just give a kid a pass and say hes from the inner city so he can just do whatever he wants

eagles_victory
12-04-2007, 09:56 PM
. 2Pac had loads of money, lotta good its doin him now. thats still debatable :D

txkmom
12-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Inner-city residence should not exempt you from manners and common decency. Period. The kid messed up and there is no excuse. You can't tell me he didn't know right from wrong. I have lived in a variety of towns: Shreveport, Houston, New Orleans, Bastrop, Wolfe City, and now Wake Village/Texarkana. I have taught kids of all walks, and believe me, many of you could never fathom what some of my students deal with on a daily basis, but they still have to attempt to function in a school setting where they are exposed to common values and mores. However, these guys made a choice to do what they did, for their own reasons. Comparing their backgrounds and mine does not change that.

pirate4state
12-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
Inner-city residence should not exempt you from manners and common decency. Period. The kid messed up and there is no excuse. You can't tell me he didn't know right from wrong. I have lived in a variety of towns: Shreveport, Houston, New Orleans, Bastrop, Wolfe City, and now Wake Village/Texarkana. I have taught kids of all walks, and believe me, many of you could never fathom what some of my students deal with on a daily basis, but they still have to attempt to function in a school setting where they are exposed to common values and mores. However, these guys made a choice to do what they did, for their own reasons. Comparing their backgrounds and mine does not change that.

AMEN!

boudreaux
12-04-2007, 11:48 PM
A school is a reflection of its community.

kaorder1999
12-04-2007, 11:50 PM
This shouldn't be a surprise! Inner-city Dallas, what else do you expect?

this is what I have the problem with....the expecting part mentioned above.....Anybody is his right mind would think the kid should be punished but saying what else do you expect from inner-city Dallas is what bugs me. I expect a lot from the inner-city kids I teach and coach. I teach and coach them the same way I taught and coached my kids in Crandall. I don't just say, "Well, I know you are from the inner-city so I expect you to assault people....go ahead." What that kid from Roosevelt did is not the norm. So why would I expect it from them? One kid I coach in Dallas may a year from now rob someone and kill them. Another kid I coached may graduate from college and go on to law school. I do the best I can with the kids placed in my classes and on the field. I expect more from them then you may expect from these Dallas kids.

Now, I will tell you this. In the past I have been very guilty of not understanding what an "Inner-City" coach goes through. I heard many times in the past and even chimed in with "Man, I wish I could get a hold of those kids. If only these kids got some coaching...they would be awesome....those kids act like that because they arent taught wrong from right....." Well...I was wrong. It takes a special kind of coach to reach these kids and earn their trust. Not anyone can do it. I've struggled at times but I feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to do.

I can spend 30 minutes everyday of a 2 hour workout working tackleing drills....and you know what? WE STILL MIGHT NOT TACKLE WELL! (The same could happen anywhere)

I can spend and hour a day for a year sitting down face to face with a kid and talk with him about the difference between right and wrong...and you know what? HE STILL MIGHT DRIVE DOWN TO 7-11 AND ROB THE PLACE (The same could happen anywhere)

My point is....sure coaches are responsible for their team's actions on and off the field because they are a part of the team BUT....just because bad things happen you cannot automatically assume the Coach didn't try to make things better and try to teach that kid to do what is right.

I have a kid on the team I coach that lives in an apartment by himself and his little brother (13 years old) and he leaves practice everyday in the summer a little earlier than everyone to go mow yards so he can pay for the apartment and to feed himself and his brother. He lives alone because his mother is a crack head and he wants nothing to do with her. Where is the story in the paper praising this kid? My point.....just like in Corn Cob's original post....some people "EXPECT" nothing but failure from the inner-city schools. Thats what I have a hard time with.....

I will never give a kid a free pass for doing wrong and I don't know of any other DISD coach that would. If I did that I would be condoning failure and as a coach, I cant allow myself to do that.

dogdad
12-05-2007, 12:34 AM
that was great, kaorder....just great

lostaussie
12-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by dogdad
that was great, kaorder....just great KA is well on his way to becoming a fine head coach. seems like he has great morals, and some school soon is going to be lucky to get him. Keep it up KA and i look forward to seeing you again soon!!!!

nobogey72
12-05-2007, 07:41 AM
kaorder's point is well made and I applaud him for his take on inner city kids and their coach's and community's role in trying to change their lives. I just think that we all (myself included) are pretty quick to judge, and to find fault, and look real hard for someone to blame. I have come to find out through my 54 yrs. of life that most of us are lucky to have been born into good situations with good role models, etc. I often wonder how I would have turned out had I been born into the situations of some of these "thugs". Obviously there are many kids born into horrible situations that somehow rise above it and get on the right track, while others never seem to get there. Behind every one (ie. the kid that kaorder talked about that is raising his 13 yr old brother and mowing grass to get by) there is probably someone like kaorder that crossed his path and made a difference. Keep doing what you are doing Kaorder, you can't change them all, but you can make a difference to some, who will in turn make a difference to someone they come across.:clap:

garciap77
12-05-2007, 09:18 AM
this is what I have the problem with....the expecting part mentioned above.....Anybody is his right mind would think the kid should be punished but saying what else do you expect from inner-city Dallas is what bugs me. I expect a lot from the inner-city kids I teach and coach. I teach and coach them the same way I taught and coached my kids in Crandall. I don't just say, "Well, I know you are from the inner-city so I expect you to assault people....go ahead." What that kid from Roosevelt did is not the norm. So why would I expect it from them? One kid I coach in Dallas may a year from now rob someone and kill them. Another kid I coached may graduate from college and go on to law school. I do the best I can with the kids placed in my classes and on the field. I expect more from them then you may expect from these Dallas kids.

Now, I will tell you this. In the past I have been very guilty of not understanding what an "Inner-City" coach goes through. I heard many times in the past and even chimed in with "Man, I wish I could get a hold of those kids. If only these kids got some coaching...they would be awesome....those kids act like that because they arent taught wrong from right....." Well...I was wrong. It takes a special kind of coach to reach these kids and earn their trust. Not anyone can do it. I've struggled at times but I feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to do.

I can spend 30 minutes everyday of a 2 hour workout working tackleing drills....and you know what? WE STILL MIGHT NOT TACKLE WELL! (The same could happen anywhere)

I can spend and hour a day for a year sitting down face to face with a kid and talk with him about the difference between right and wrong...and you know what? HE STILL MIGHT DRIVE DOWN TO 7-11 AND ROB THE PLACE (The same could happen anywhere)

My point is....sure coaches are responsible for their team's actions on and off the field because they are a part of the team BUT....just because bad things happen you cannot automatically assume the Coach didn't try to make things better and try to teach that kid to do what is right.

I have a kid on the team I coach that lives in an apartment by himself and his little brother (13 years old) and he leaves practice everyday in the summer a little earlier than everyone to go mow yards so he can pay for the apartment and to feed himself and his brother. He lives alone because his mother is a crack head and he wants nothing to do with her. Where is the story in the paper praising this kid? My point.....just like in Corn Cob's original post....some people "EXPECT" nothing but failure from the inner-city schools. Thats what I have a hard time with.....

I will never give a kid a free pass for doing wrong and I don't know of any other DISD coach that would. If I did that I would be condoning failure and as a coach, I cant allow myself to do that. :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's coachs and teachers like you that make a difference! Even if you can help just one in one hundred you have done your job. Keep up the good work!

P.S. People like Corn Cob have not clue! :mad: :mad::mad:

Buckeye1980
12-05-2007, 09:22 AM
For the record ...My question is why the police office in the video did not arrest the person that he saw commit a criminal act>

From the Texas Penal Code

Sec. 22.01 Assault
(a) A person commits an offense if the person
(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklesssly causes bodily injury to another including the person's spouse
(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodlily injury

(b) An offense under subsection (a)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor except in the case that the offense is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed against:
(1) a person the actor knows is a public servant is lawfully discharging an officail duty , or in retaliation or on account of an exercise of offical poweror performance of an offical duty as a public servant

Ranger Mom
12-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
For the record ...My question is why the police office in the video did not arrest the person that he saw commit a criminal act?

That is what I am wondering. Sadly...it WAS condoned at that time!!:dispntd: What message did that send??

3afan
12-05-2007, 09:41 AM
seems that "stuff" that happens on a playing field is "let go" more often than not .... what if a kid "assaults" another player or coach or fan or official during a game? whats the difference?

Buckeye1980
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
No different to me , if a law enforcement offical witnesses a criminal act , he is sworn by law to take action and make an arrest , but what do I know , I am only in law enforcement

kaorder1999
12-05-2007, 09:50 AM
For the record ...My question is why the police office in the video did not arrest the person that he saw commit a criminal act>

Sec. 22.01 Assault
(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklesssly causes bodily injury to another including the person's spouse

(b) An offense under subsection (a)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor except in the case that the offense is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed against:
(1) a person the actor knows is a public servant is lawfully discharging an officail duty , or in retaliation or on account of an exercise of offical poweror performance of an offical duty as a public servant

oh...dont get me wrong...im right there with you. I have no idea why he wasn't arrested and would have no problem if he was.

rangerjoe33
12-05-2007, 10:08 AM

Hey man, I never said in my post to give the kid a free pass (as a matter of fact if you re-read it it says specifically they should be punished), my post was specifically related to the coaches, I had read where some were calling for the coach to be reprimanded or even fired. My post was to express the conditions and culture in which they(coaches) work. Read the last line of the post and don't pick and chose phrases to make a point that was not the jest of the entire post.

Matthew328
12-05-2007, 11:10 PM

I will never give a kid a free pass for doing wrong and I don't know of any other DISD coach that would. If I did that I would be condoning failure and as a coach, I cant allow myself to do that.

That kid who does that needs more than a story in the newspaper! A 17 year old in high school shouldnt have that kind of burden on his shoulders, what an exceptional kid. Coaching in the city is tough but seeing things like that and hearing about those kids makes me glad there is still a lot of good in this world.

Rattlesnake_08
12-06-2007, 12:25 AM
About the only thing they did not do was tear down the goal posts.:rolleyes:

3afan
12-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Rattlesnake_08
About the only thing they did not do was tear down the goal posts.:rolleyes:

huh?

Who-dun-it!!?
12-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Sec. 22.01 Assault

I wasn't there, but as a police officer, I've been in a similar situation. Picture yourself surrounded by two or three hundred people who are "extremly emotional" for lack of a better word. Now one of them commits an act like what we've seen here. This one is obviously not the only one acting like an idiot. So do you take him down right there? Some say yes. I agree the kid needs to go to jail. But what is the most important thing at that very moment? I say de-escalting the situation. Something like that could have gotten a hole lot worse in a hurry. I said earlier I would have arrested the kid on the spot. But I wasn't there, and I have the benifit of playing the what if game where this officer did'nt. I think he did a great job of seperating the chump from the coach. Its obviously not gonna be hard to identify the kid, so charges can still be filed, and a warrant can be issued. That way an arrest can be made in a different environment. Safety always takes presidence over an arrest, in every situation. And as stated earlier, what do I know, I'm only in Law Enforcement.

Who-dun-it!!?
12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
No different to me , if a law enforcement offical witnesses a criminal act , he is sworn by law to take action and make an arrest , but what do I know , I am only in law enforcement

Yes we are sworn to act. But we are also expected to use "discretion" in the decisions that we make. If he arrest this kid on the spot, who's to say that matters wouldn't have gotten worse and more innocent people get hurt? Then we'd be cridisizing the decision to arrest on the spot. I think this officer did a great job here. No-one was seriously injured, and the "riot" was taken into control. If you've ever had the oppertunity to arrest a High School kid from a school event you'd understand. People don't see you taking a criminal to jail, they see you as a bad guy who has nothing better to do than to pick on a high school student. I have done this, and I didn't like it one bit. I love high school sports because they are the purest form of competition. But our duties sometimes make us look bad to people who don't understand the big picture. We should all picture ourselves in this officer's situation. Any body wanna take his place? Or how bout those innocent people in the crowd who just hoped it would end quickly and were probably fearful themselves. I think he probably did the right thing in this situation. But that just me.

westtxfballfan
12-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Yes we are sworn to act. But we are also expected to use "discretion" in the decisions that we make. If he arrest this kid on the spot, who's to say that matters wouldn't have gotten worse and more innocent people get hurt? Then we'd be cridisizing the decision to arrest on the spot. I think this officer did a great job here. No-one was seriously injured, and the "riot" was taken into control. If you've ever had the oppertunity to arrest a High School kid from a school event you'd understand. People don't see you taking a criminal to jail, they see you as a bad guy who has nothing better to do than to pick on a high school student. I have done this, and I didn't like it one bit. I love high school sports because they are the purest form of competition. But our duties sometimes make us look bad to people who don't understand the big picture. We should all picture ourselves in this officer's situation. Any body wanna take his place? Or how bout those innocent people in the crowd who just hoped it would end quickly and were probably fearful themselves. I think he probably did the right thing in this situation. But that just me.

I agree. It looked like he made a decision between helping with (essentially) riot control or making the arrest. I doubt any of the officers I work with would have done it any different given the circumstances. Fortunately, because of the video, they can follow up and do something with the player afterward. At the time he shoved the player away and continued working crowd control, the cop has no way of knowing how far out of hand this situation might get and stopping to detain one player doesn't appear to have been the priority at the time.

Should he have made a mental note of the player's number, etc., to follow-up? Definitely. I don't know if he did, but it didn't look like it and so nothing would have been done with the player if the tape didn't exist. Not a good outcome either, but hard to fault the cop in that situation.

Pawdaddy
12-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
I agree. It looked like he made a decision between helping with (essentially) riot control or making the arrest. I doubt any of the officers I work with would have done it any different given the circumstances. Fortunately, because of the video, they can follow up and do something with the player afterward. At the time he shoved the player away and continued working crowd control, the cop has no way of knowing how far out of hand this situation might get and stopping to detain one player doesn't appear to have been the priority at the time.

Should he have made a mental note of the player's number, etc., to follow-up? Definitely. I don't know if he did, but it didn't look like it and so nothing would have been done with the player if the tape didn't exist. Not a good outcome either, but hard to fault the cop in that situation.

I was at the game and agree with everything you are saying. If an officer, coach, Gilmer player, bystander or anyone else had taken down one of the perpetrators or retaliated in anyway, that would have gotten very ugly very quick. Except for the offenders, everyone handled themselves in the best possible way they could under that situation. From the tape, those guys need to be cited and spend some time in community service under the local Juvenile Probation Office or Adult Probation Office if they are over 16 years of age.

Maroon87
12-06-2007, 07:29 PM
They just showed a video of the fight on Fox News...looks like it was shot from the Gilmer side.

Who-dun-it!!?
12-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Looks like we're makin sense. I commend all who were involved that acted as professional as possible. Sadly a few have scared the reputation of a fine school. This could have happened to any school on any night at any event. Maybe we can all learn from this and keep it from happening at our school.

westtexasfbfan
12-07-2007, 02:54 AM
When this happened in the Greenwood/Daingerfield game in 2002, we didn't even finish the game.

The clock showed 34 seconds, our QB took a knee and some guy flew over the line and jumped on him. The majority of the Daingerfield bench cleared and came out on the field. I know our backup QB who was playing safety at the time was blindsided and had some bruised ribs. Our boys stayed on the sidelines and let the refs, coaches, principals and police sort it out.

Refs called GAME OVER. Daingerfield fans were throwing water bottles on to the field...it was UGLY!!!!

Whatever trophy, medals, or whatever we were supposed to get that night, we didn't get. Our ISD went out and bought our own!!

After it was all said and done and UIL reviewed it, it was left up to the Daingerfield coaches to punish the players.

I know there was some punishment immediately, but for those involved that came back to play the next season, they were suspended for the first 3 football games.

I remember that game, also. Daingerfield was just a sore loser that night. West Texas football beat East Texas football that night and the players couldn't take it. It was one awesome defensive game for Greenwood. Actually, I have the fight on video. Too bad I can't show it. Thanks for the bringing back the memories.