PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Marcus Brooks

lakers
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Abilene High's defeat of South Lake was more then a win for the Eagles...

Brooks was loved by teammates (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2007/nov/29/ahs-brooks-was-loved-by-teammates/)

Eagles ride emotion to victory (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2007/dec/02/eagles-ride-emotion-to-victory/)

lakers
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Here is another article too.

reporternew.com

Eagles win one for Superman.

IRVING -- The Abilene High football team was definitely not starstruck playing at Texas Stadium Saturday, using the same locker room used by the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday night.

And AHS coach Steve Warren didn't need to worry about getting his squad fired up to play Southlake Carroll, the three-time defending Class 5A state champions.

In the locker room before the game, Warren told his team that they were in this situation for a reason.

"You're here because you have outworked a lot of people," Warren told his team. "You are one of 16 teams left that has a chance to win it all.

"It takes a lot of sacrifice to get here, and I love all of you guys for that. Enjoy the stage -- you've earned it."

The Eagles were also playing Saturday in memory of former teammate Marcus "Superman" Brooks, who died on Thursday. As they have for the last couple of months, the Eagles wore "MB" stickers on their helmets -- though this time they took on a bit more meaning, as evidenced by a banner hanging in the stands that read, "This one is for our brother Marcus Brooks #53."

The Eagles came out slow and trailed 14-9 at halftime. Once in the locker room, they listened as Warren told his team there would be "a lot of emotion in the second half."

"You guys have a great chance to go out there and make history," he continued.

After watching Carroll come out and score to take a 21-9 lead, the Eagle defense then shut the Dragon offense down through much of the second half and AHS rallied to take a 22-21 lead.

The Dragons, starting at their own 8, drove the field and, in the waning seconds, faced a second down near the AHS 10.

When Carroll fumbled the snap and Abilene's P.J. Jones recovered the loose ball with eight seconds left, a wild celebration ensued.

"Man, what a game! It was unbelievable, and I'm just so proud of all the guys on this team," Warren said.

Once the celebration moved from the field to the locker room, several players took the banner saluting Brooks and laid it on the locker room floor and danced around it chanting: "This was for you Superman, we love you and we miss you."

"Marcus Brooks won this game for us," senior quarterback Spens Lackey said. "It's unreal, because we played in his memory."

lakers
12-04-2007, 01:35 AM
I wonder if anybody read this... hmmm.....

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-04-2007, 01:38 AM
What happened to him?

bigron15
12-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
What happened to him?

i guess u didnt read. lymphoma

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by bigron15
i guess u didnt read. lymphoma

I didnt read the link just what was posted, im kinda glad AHS won now.

bobcat1
12-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Why do the great ones leave us. I would liked to have known this fine young man name "Superman". As one young man said, he is hanging with God.