PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GotW (QuarterFinal) : Cuero Gobblers (11-2) vs Palacios Sharks (10-3)

CueroDad2006
12-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Who will win this 29-3a rematch?

DrBob
12-02-2007, 12:34 AM
This should be a no brainer

headhunter
12-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Seriously do we ave to debate this one

I guess Ill go out on a limb here and take Cuero

Footballhudini
12-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Hudini's taking Palacios 38-35 in an upset

CueroDad2006
12-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by headhunter
Seriously do we ave to debate this one

I guess Ill go out on a limb here and take Cuero
Most everyone will have the same idea after what happen in distric play. But lets just hope the kids dont have the big head about this game as we all will have. Lets take this game as one more team in our way to that one goal. And play like there is no tomarrow.

44INAROW
12-02-2007, 12:41 AM
you'll know I don't do Cuero predictions - but I sure hope we win.... it has been said numerous times - it is hard to beat a good team twice in 1 year........ Cuero needs to stay focused and not overlook the Sharks........

GO MEAN GREEN.........:clap: :clap:

WylieBulldog92
12-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
Hudini's taking Palacios 38-35 in an upset
Good thing Houdini was a magician and not a genius.

piratebg
12-02-2007, 12:42 AM
What was the score for Cuero / Palacios 1: The Phantom Gobbler?

DrBob
12-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
What was the score for Cuero / Palacios 1: The Phantom Gobbler?

51-20

piratebg
12-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by DrBob
51-20

Hmmmmm.........:thinking:

I think I'll take the underdog in Cuero / Palacios 2: Attack of the Charks :cool:

iknoweverything
12-02-2007, 04:36 AM
ban please for him starting this threard. kthxbye.

iknoweverything
12-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Hmmmmm.........:thinking:

I think I'll take the underdog in Cuero / Palacios 2: Attack of the Charks :cool:

ban again

piratebg
12-02-2007, 04:47 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/kyotra/yoda-a_noob_are_you.jpg

iknoweverything
12-02-2007, 04:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/sword003/fail.jpg

GreenMachine
12-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Palacios has had a great season. They have some really good athletes and they play hard. However, their season will come to an abrupt halt this Friday night in Victoria. That's just the way it is. ;)

gobbler grad
12-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Palacios has had a great season. They have some really good athletes and they play hard. However, their season will come to an abrupt halt this Friday night in Victoria. That's just the way it is. ;)

I totally agree with ya green...:thinking:

gtown
12-02-2007, 01:05 PM
This one is hard for me. Both teams have had a great year. Apaches played a very flawed game against the Gobblers and lost. On the other hand, Apaches played an awesome game against the sharks and only won by 2. I say its going to be a very close game. Cuero's experience might bring them out on top. I really am torn on who to go with here.

TexanAlum_06
12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
GAME OVER for the sharks this week. This ones over by halftime.

R4Editor
12-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Rematch game when both teams open district play against each other with Cuero winning 51-20. My pick is Gobblers represent region 4 by winning 35-14.

R4Editor
12-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
you'll know I don't do Cuero predictions - but I sure hope we win.... it has been said numerous times - it is hard to beat a good team twice in 1 year........ Cuero needs to stay focused and not overlook the Sharks........

GO MEAN GREEN.........:clap: :clap: So True. Has happen already once where one team got hammered the first time and won the playoff game......Bandera over La Vernia.

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Under Reeve, Cuero has twice faced a team in the playoffs that they defeated in the regular season... Cuero won both of those playoff meeting and the results were a lot better in the playoffs than the regular season...

but I think this will be a closer game through the third, but in the fourth lights out... Cuero by 21... down there...

garciap77
12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Cuero! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 01:32 PM
is it a fri or sat game?

R4Editor
12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
is it a fri or sat game? Friday at 7 pm

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Dont know nuttin bout either of these teams but I say Palacios in a shocker

JT44
12-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by gtown
This one is hard for me. Both teams have had a great year. Apaches played a very flawed game against the Gobblers and lost. On the other hand, Apaches played an awesome game against the sharks and only won by 2. I say its going to be a very close game. Cuero's experience might bring them out on top. I really am torn on who to go with here.

Sharks played hard in the first half against the gobblers the first time around. they didn't have the speed to keep up in the third, and solis was gassed at about halfway thru the 3rd.

the apaches don't have a very good run defense anyway, that's why their game was close.

Cuero's gonna come out fast and determined to get the game over with early, gonna be a great atmosphere with a lot of people attending not affiliated w/any of the schools.

last time around the gobblers showed who had the real running game b/w the two teams

wimbo_pro
12-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I predict a Cuero victory too...and will be rooting for one as well. However, Cuero best not "take it easy" on them, like they did Wimberley. Go for the throat early. End it quickly. Dont let them hang around like you did us...though we never really threatened you, a better team (I assume Palacios is just that) might come alive and sting you later in the game. Kill em early!

Panther One
12-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Cuero...BIG

JT44
12-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I predict a Cuero victory too...and will be rooting for one as well. However, Cuero best not "take it easy" on them, like they did Wimberley. Go for the throat early. End it quickly. Dont let them hang around like you did us...though we never really threatened you, a better team (I assume Palacios is just that) might come alive and sting you later in the game. Kill em early!

it may seem as if cuero took it easy last night, but w/the run game working, there was no need to air it out in that wind. only thing is wimberley's d was tough enough to limit the big runs, but not to stop every drive.

Palacios has about two passing plays that they run every game, play action rollouts to #40 and #32 solis, unless they open up their playbook or bring in a few extra rb's, they will have no chance to be hanging around late.

but it's always harder to beat someone twice! w/that I say cuero is even more prepared and wins by 4 td's.

32-14 cuero rolls into semi's!

headhunter
12-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
Dont know nuttin bout either of these teams but I say Palacios in a shocker

I truly believe you just run your mouth to see if you can get a rise out of us Cuero folks.

Why dont you take care of Snyder and hopefully we well see you at state. I realize you dont want Cuero to win so dont waste our time posting on this page.

Oh and Cuero tok it easy on Wimberly and didnt run the score up just for you Snyder32Tigers

headhunter
12-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro

You have to realize and give your team credit, they covered the pass pretty well last night. I thin they might have worried to much about the pass and didnt work on stopping our run game. Wimberly's safeties were 12-14 yards deep and the corners played off about 10-12. I think they didnt want to give up the big quick pass td and they did good job, their wasnt guys open like their had been in most games this season.

I still dont think Wimberly was that bad of team, they had good size and decent speed, I just think that the game speed they have been playing against in the last 4 weeks wasnt as fast. I know they played good teams early but when you havent gone against good speed like cuero, it makes it hard to get into rythem. Look at Cuero last night. Both teams they played in the playoffs where not as fast as Wimberly and Cuero went 3 and out to start. They had to adjust and get in a rythme. They did and they executed as well. I was surprised to see no interception. Their was a couple (both ways) that could have been picked.

Wimberly will be good next year. Their is a lot of potential their. The QB will be ok just had some bad breaks, drops, being under pressure and just missed a few throws. He throws a good ball and has good height to allow him to see the field. I look for yall to make a run next year again.

TexanAlum_06
12-02-2007, 04:29 PM
yeah I think we will be a better team next year, we lose 3 good Lineman, especially walker # 65 and we lose 2 good LBers in skunda #12 and Mcdonald # 40 but they will have more experience from top to bottom and this years sophomores and freshmen are loaded with talent, not to mention this years 8th grade team is LOADED. I know of one kid who will be Varsity next year as a fish as soon as he can get up there, Isnt there a UIL rule about freshmen having to play a certain amount of games on the freshmen and JV squads before moving up to varsity? correct me if im wrong. He will be a key piece to Wimberleys football team for the next 4 years. Kind of like Jeremy Kerley was to hutto. Maybe not next year, But watch out for wimberley the next couple of years, if they can keep developing like they have, they should bring another Ship back to the hill country.... I know someone will probably bash me for these predictions but All im saying is, when those young classes mix on varsity in 2 years they could be somethin special. somethin to look forward too....

R4Editor
12-02-2007, 04:32 PM
You have to realize and give your team credit, they covered the pass pretty well last night. I thin they might have worried to much about the pass and didnt work on stopping our run game. Wimberly's safeties were 12-14 yards deep and the corners played off about 10-12. I think they didnt want to give up the big quick pass td and they did good job, their wasnt guys open like their had been in most games this season.

I still dont think Wimberly was that bad of team, they had good size and decent speed, I just think that the game speed they have been playing against in the last 4 weeks wasnt as fast. I know they played good teams early but when you havent gone against good speed like cuero, it makes it hard to get into rythem. Look at Cuero last night. Both teams they played in the playoffs where not as fast as Wimberly and Cuero went 3 and out to start. They had to adjust and get in a rythme. They did and they executed as well. I was surprised to see no interception. Their was a couple (both ways) that could have been picked.

Wimberly will be good next year. Their is a lot of potential their. The QB will be ok just had some bad breaks, drops, being under pressure and just missed a few throws. He throws a good ball and has good height to allow him to see the field. I look for yall to make a run next year again. offensively wimberley lack some speed, the QB seem to throw the ball out there to a spot but the receivers couldnt run it down and the backs got to line of scrimmage to late make something happen.#7 for the texans had some speed but dont think i saw him on offense. Wimberley defense played good, they might had hang in there better in the 3rd if their offense had gotten something going.

R4Editor
12-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
yeah I think we will be a better team next year, we lose 3 good Lineman, especially walker # 65 and we lose 2 good LBers in skunda #12 and Mcdonald # 40 but they will have more experience from top to bottom and this years sophomores and freshmen are loaded with talent, not to mention this years 8th grade team is LOADED. I know of one kid who will be Varsity next year as a fish as soon as he can get up there, Isnt there a UIL rule about freshmen having to play a certain amount of games on the freshmen and JV squads before moving up to varsity? correct me if im wrong. He will be a key piece to Wimberleys football team for the next 4 years. Kind of like Jeremy Kerley was to hutto. Maybe not next year, But watch out for wimberley the next couple of years, if they can keep developing like they have, they should bring another Ship back to the hill country.... I know someone will probably bash me for these predictions but All im saying is, when those young classes mix on varsity in 2 years they could be somethin special. somethin to look forward too.... i think the only rule is max of 4 years of varsity football.

TexanAlum_06
12-02-2007, 04:38 PM
one thing I wanted to bring up for discussion that personally I thought was CHEAP from palacious. I believe it was right before halftime they were driving down the field and they lined up quickly and everybody started yelling on the llano side then they snapped the ball and tossed it to a WIDE OPEN WR on the palacious sideline, KNOWONE was over there, Llano didnt even have anyone on that side of the field. and he caught it and was run down at the 3 yard line, and I just couldnt believe at first that knowone saw him which led me to almost think they snuck an extra person on the field before the snap. well it turns out I was talking to someone in the stands and they said that Palacious only had 10 players on the field and that a player came off the sideline before they broke the huddle and lined up at WR inside the numbers, he then told me that what they did was a LEGAL play as long as the WR is inside the numbers or something like that. I have never heard of this or seen it and wanted to see yalls opinion, Obviously it is legal because there was no flag thrown and there was a zebra on that side of the field that would of noticed it. I personally think its Cheap but what do yall think?

DrBob
12-02-2007, 04:57 PM
one thing I wanted to bring up for discussion that personally I thought was CHEAP from palacious. I believe it was right before halftime they were driving down the field and they lined up quickly and everybody started yelling on the llano side then they snapped the ball and tossed it to a WIDE OPEN WR on the palacious sideline, KNOWONE was over there, Llano didnt even have anyone on that side of the field. and he caught it and was run down at the 3 yard line, and I just couldnt believe at first that knowone saw him which led me to almost think they snuck an extra person on the field before the snap. well it turns out I was talking to someone in the stands and they said that Palacious only had 10 players on the field and that a player came off the sideline before they broke the huddle and lined up at WR inside the numbers, he then told me that what they did was a LEGAL play as long as the WR is inside the numbers or something like that. I have never heard of this or seen it and wanted to see yalls opinion, Obviously it is legal because there was no flag thrown and there was a zebra on that side of the field that would of noticed it. I personally think its Cheap but what do yall think?

Its playoff football, You bring out every trick play in the book

HM33
12-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Cuero in a big one. 21+

iknoweverything
12-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Seriously, take this thread down and put up Waco Lavega vs Cuero already.

IHStangFan
12-02-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't wanna make any enemies of the Cuero Nation....you guys are great...but I am really pulling for little ole underdog Palacios....I'd like to see them win. Either way...they have already had a Cinderella season and I'm excited for them. :clap:

iknoweverything
12-02-2007, 07:01 PM
It is pretty neat that the Sharks have made it this far. Really it just shows how weak Reg 4 is.

IHStangFan
12-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by iknoweverything
It is pretty neat that the Sharks have made it this far. Really it just shows how weak Reg 4 is. I would tend to agree that overall Reg. IV isn't as strong but I still like you say...think its neat that the Sharks are where they are.

GreenGobbla
12-02-2007, 08:38 PM
cuero 42
palacios 7

DrBob
12-02-2007, 09:06 PM
It is pretty neat that the Sharks have made it this far. Really it just shows how weak Reg 4 is.

Well go ahead and bring your i know everthing team to Cuero buddy and you can see for yourself how weak region 4 is

headhunter
12-02-2007, 09:26 PM

The play was legal

they called a time out, when palacios got don talking on the sideline they sent out 11 men inside the numbers and immediatly one guy came back as if he was going to the bench he stayed inbounds and line up as a wideout. I think both teams were late coming out of the timeout and the playclock had started thats why llano didnt see him.

Big play that led to 3 points and turned out to make it a two score game. I will expect that kind of stuff from Palacios this week.

They will throw everything they got at Cuero

headhunter
12-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Well go ahead and bring your i know everthing team to Cuero buddy and you can see for yourself how weak region 4 is

Weak?

Palacios is a very hot team right now there are weak regions every year and this is not one of them. Celina has not played anyone close yet so what does that say. Just because their are not a great deal of close games doesnt make this a weak region. When you get to the 3rd round their all tough and teams got to earn the win

TexanAlum_06
12-02-2007, 09:32 PM
thanks for clearing that up. I have never seen anything like that.

iknoweverything
12-02-2007, 10:40 PM

Haha lolz hard at this.

TAMUGRAD
12-02-2007, 10:59 PM

He is from Cuero, just likes to stir the pot.

HM33
12-02-2007, 11:18 PM
haha funny stuff :)

iknoweverything
12-02-2007, 11:22 PM
I dont like to stir the pot there is no doubt that reg 4 is the weakest region as a whole. Cuero is a great football team but other than that region 4 is weak. OH yeah and Rio Hondo too.

TAMUGRAD
12-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey, HM33 are you coming home to watch them play in Victoria this Friday? I didn't see you at Matador Stadium, but I assume you were there.

TAMUGRAD
12-02-2007, 11:24 PM
I dont like to stir the pot

We'll just agree to disagree on this one... as usual.

iknoweverything
12-02-2007, 11:30 PM
I stated a fact but whatever

HM33
12-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by TAMUGRAD
Hey, HM33 are you coming home to watch them play in Victoria this Friday? I didn't see you at Matador Stadium, but I assume you were there.

Yeah I was there, about 3/4 the way up on the North 40. And Yeah I plan on going to Vic to watch the game. I don't knwo though. I have a final the next morning at 830 :(

KingRob
12-03-2007, 05:11 AM
I think Cuero is just too good for the Sharks. I'm glad Palacios has had a great year, but Cuero will wear them out and run away with it in the second half.

Cuero - 42
Palacios - 17

LET'S GO CUERO!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

Buccaneer
12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I stated a fact but whatever

You don't know jack!

CueroDad2006
12-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Cuero 42
Palacios 14

DrBob
12-03-2007, 07:06 PM
I dont like to stir the pot there is no doubt that reg 4 is the weakest region as a whole. Cuero is a great football team but other than that region 4 is weak. OH yeah and Rio Hondo too.

Must be from Port Isabel

Cameron Crazy
12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
The Gobblers donkey stomp the Sharks.

pirate4state
12-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Must be from Port Isabel

HA!

iknoweverything
12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Must be from Port Isabel

Born and raised, I bleed blue.

HM33
12-03-2007, 08:06 PM
lol.... Guys I will be going to the game this week. I hope that its atleast a good one for a while... I haven't been to a good game in a while. The only game that was half way decent was LH and that one bored me cuz of the offense LH runs. I don't like it (my opinion :))

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-03-2007, 08:19 PM
I've changed my mind!

Cuero wins by 20 or more!

44INAROW
12-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
I've changed my mind!

Cuero wins by 20 or more!

curious - what made you change your mind?

ps how long do you think it will take you to make 1500?:D

iknoweverything
12-03-2007, 08:39 PM
That is a sweet pic 44

HM33
12-03-2007, 08:41 PM
That is a sweet pic 44

I was going to say the same.... Oh and I like the quote after the pics :) lol

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by HM33
I don't like it (my opinion :))
It's okay - we do. ;)

44INAROW
12-03-2007, 08:44 PM
That is a sweet pic 44

Originally posted by HM33
I was going to say the same.... Oh and I like the quote after the pics :) lol

thanks guys, coming from you'll, I appreciate that........ I wanted to use the picture of Troy aka "Cowboy" wrapping up Palacios's #22 during the 1st meeting of Cuero vs Palacios (it's posted on gobblersports.com on the pictures page) but it must be "protected" and it won't let me save it..

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Cuero will play La Vega next week,can and I think they can get by with the win!

Gontex
12-04-2007, 06:48 AM
I fully expect Cuero to win. I think the Gobblers won't underestimate their opponent like some of you on this board are doing. The best team doesn't always win the game. The football is oblong and can take some funny bounces. Something about playing them one at a time should probably be mentioned here. It will be closer than the first game. Having said that, 31 points leaves a lot of room for improvement.

iknoweverything
12-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Gontex
The football is oblong and can take some funny bounces. .

http://bani.anime.net/o_rly.jpg

cjeffsjeep
12-04-2007, 09:20 AM
thanks guys, coming from you'll, I appreciate that........ I wanted to use the picture of Troy aka "Cowboy" wrapping up Palacios's #22 during the 1st meeting of Cuero vs Palacios (it's posted on gobblersports.com on the pictures page) but it must be "protected" and it won't let me save it..

you mean this one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/cjeffsjeep/cuero-vs-palcios-30.jpg

RattlerDude
12-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Cuero will win this one. It won't necessarily be an easy game, but they will win by a comfortable margin.

44INAROW
12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by cjeffsjeep
you mean this one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/cjeffsjeep/cuero-vs-palcios-30.jpg

that's it - thanks :)

DaHop72
12-04-2007, 11:17 AM
that's it - thanks :) GO GOBBLERS!!!!!!

headhunter
12-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Man I am glad we ddnt flip home and home I dont think Cuero would have fit into those tiny a$$ stands in Palacios.

Did Reeve and Treybig come to an agreement about playing in Victoria or what was the deal?

CheerMom
12-04-2007, 04:03 PM
I have to go with the Gobblers......too much tradition. Play and travel safe!!

wannabgobbler08
12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Man I am glad we ddnt flip home and home I dont think Cuero would have fit into those tiny a$$ stands in Palacios.

Did Reeve and Treybig come to an agreement about playing in Victoria or what was the deal?

Treybig wanted to play @ Kyle Field

pirate4state
12-05-2007, 11:05 AM
As fun as it's been rooting for the Sharks to do well, I think their "magical" season comes to an end Friday night, but it won't be as lopisided as some of you think! :eek: :eek:

Cuero 38
Palacios 25

GreenMachine
12-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
As fun as it's been rooting for the Sharks to do well, I think their "magical" season comes to an end Friday night, but it won't be as lopisided as some of you think! :eek: :eek:

Cuero 38
Palacios 25 Our defense is playing pretty good right now. I don't see Palacios scoring 25 pts... maybe 14 :thinking:

pirate4state
12-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Our defense is playing pretty good right now. I don't see Palacios scoring 25 pts... maybe 14 :thinking:

Well maybe their defense and/or special teams scores some points for them, I don't know! :D

GreenMachine
12-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Well maybe their defense and/or special teams scores some points for them, I don't know! :D That's where I accounted for their 14 pts. :D

pirate4state
12-05-2007, 12:48 PM
That's where I accounted for their 14 pts. :D ROFLMAO! :clap: :D Fair enough....sorry Sharks!

zebrablue2
12-05-2007, 05:52 PM
gobblers by 20. good luck to both schools. enjoy the experience. great for 2 teams from the same district to be in the reg. final..

JT44
12-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Gobblers win big, both teams have improved, but cuero is still head and shoulders above the sharks.

basically, this is a home game for the gobblers

cjeffsjeep
12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
that's it - thanks :)

your welcome

underware
12-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm making the little drive from Yoakum to see the game. I think it will be closer than people think? At least I hope so. I'm looking forward to a good game.

GreenMachine
12-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Quite a few people have said that the game will be closer than most think. Why so? Sure they have gotten better since we played them, but so have we. So what is the reasoning behind this thinking :thinking:

44INAROW
12-06-2007, 11:18 AM
From the Palacios Newspaper.............

That year of 1964 and the words, “43 years ago,” keep popping up for the 2007 Palacios Sharks, who have become the “Cinderella” team of the Class 3A Division II football playoffs.
Now two steps from the state championship game, those words again come forth as the Hungry Sharks come face to face with their biggest hurdle of the season— a rematch with Cuero and its history of football greatness over the last three decades and more.

The two teams, both from the same district, collide for the Division II championship of South Texas in the State Quarterfinals at Victoria’s Memorial Stadium, 7 p.m. Friday. The Sharks are the home team for the fourth straight week of their playoffs action. The game is expected to draw one of the largest crowds ever into the stadium.

For the Sharks, this is the first time since 1964 that they will play football in December and, with a five-game winning streak, they have the opportunity to win a sixth straight for the first time in those 43 years. They will also be playing their 14th game of the year— the same number played by the 1964 Sharks in winning the state championship.

There’s no doubt about Cuero’s Gobblers being an awesome challenge for the Sharks. The two schools have met only six times, at least over the last 21 years. The six games have been in the last nine years while in the same district, and Cuero has taken all six by a combined scored of 258-52.

The two met in the district opener back on Oct. 12, with Cuero winning, 51-20. After falling behind, 17-0, the Sharks outscored the Gobblers, 20-13, to remain within striking distance at halftime. The Gobblers, however, pulled away in the second half as they stacked up over 500 yards in total offense.

“Cuero is a great football team,” Shark coach Mike Treybig said. “They are well-coached and have talented athletes. I don’t know how many points they will be favored, but we’re real excited at having the opportunity to play them again.

“Cuero and Rio Hondo were ranked 1-2 in this region. Rio Hondo was picked to beat us by 16. We beat them by 21. So, we should now be ranked No. 2.” Treybig added how proud he was of the Sharks after their Regional win over Llano.

“For three weeks in a row they have stepped it up when needed, both on the offense and on defense. When we got a 14-0 jump on them (Llano) and they started to come back, the defense came through when we needed them. You couldn’t ask more of them. They have played like champions.”

As to Cuero, among the valuable Gobblers, in addition to the unnamed linemen, are senior runningback Quincey Whittington (#40), sophomore quarterback Tyler Arndt (#12), junior receiver-defensive back Robert Armstrong (#8), senior runningback Stephon Hargrove (#22); senior tailback David Williams (#7); junior fullback Jake Ragnow (#2); junior tight end Troy Ruiz (#30); and senior tight end Kaeron Johnson (#49).

Whittington has averaged over 9 yards per carry in rushing for 1592 yards and 23 touchdowns, plus caught 38 passes for 690 yards (18 yards per catch) and another five TDs. He was the district leader in punt returns, averaging over 16 yards per return. In the district season, Whittington averaged over 18 yards in returning 123 kicks.

Arndt has completed 70% of his passes in throwing for 2283 yards and 22 TDs. He was not intercepted during the regular season. In last week’s win over Wimberley, Arndt completed 12 of 19 for 129 yards and one TD, with no intercepts.

Armstrong has been Cuero’s leading receiver with nearly 800 yards and also averages 18 yards per reception. Armstrong was the district’s leading kick returner, averaging over 25 yards on eight returns, and was second to Palacios’ Cody Smith in pass interceptions during district play with four.

Like Whittington, Hargrove is averaging 9 yards per carry in gaining nearly 700 yards. Williams averages about 8 yards per carry and Ruiz, who also works out of the backfield, is averaging 6 yards per tote. Johnson, a 267-pounder, has averaged 19 yards per pass reception. Rangnow carries the ball for an average run of 6 yards.

SHARK STATS: For the Sharks, Henry Solis has boosted his rushing yards total for the season to 2463 yards on 328 carries, an average of 7.5 yards per carry, and scored 38 touchdowns. He now has 49 career touchdowns, passing the previous PHS record of 42, set by Terrell Lee.Alex Sanchez is the Sharks No. 2 rusher with 101 carries for 563 TDs. David Hunt has completed 22 if 61 passes for 412 yards and three TDs. Cody Smith leads the receivers with six catches for 213 yards.

The victor this Friday will take on the winner of the Waco LaVega-China Spring Quarterfinals game in next week’s Semifinals. Like Palacios and Cuero, LaVega and China Spring are in the same district (17th).

Palacios Beacon Link (http://www.palaciosbeacon.com/home/sports.shtml#newsitem1196637237,9350,)

44INAROW
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Cuero Record article
Sports

Cuero/Palacios in rematch Friday

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:58 AM CST

Although Cuero's Gobblers and Palacios' Sharks have only met six times, the Gobblers hold an unbeaten record against the district rivals.

For the second time this season, the two schools will do battle. This time it will be for the Region IV quarterfinals title.

The game will be at Memorial Stadium in Victoria at 7 p.m. Friday. Pre-sale tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for students. All tickets are $9 at the gate. Cuero has been designated the visiting team.

When the Gobblers traveled to Palacios almost eight weeks ago, it was for the first district game of the season. Cuero won it 51-20.

But Gobbler head coach Mark Reeve is not allowing his team to become over confident as a result of that lop-sided score.

"There is a reason they are in the playoffs and there is a reason we are in the playoffs," he said. "Things that don't matter are things that happened last year and last week."

"Our kids are pretty sharp," he said. "They understand this team has a lot of talent and one of the best rushers in the Texas."

He was referring to senior running back Henry Solis (#32) who has 2,460-yards on 334 carries this season. He has 38 touchdowns for the Sharks.

According to Coach Reeve, one of the reasons for the Palacios playoff success is the team's conversion to an I-formation offense. "That really helped them," he said, "they are playing with a whole lot more confidence."

Looking at the rematch, Reeve noted, "It is a great compliment to our district that there are two teams still playing in the fourth round."

Gobbler fans can cheer their team at a pep rally Friday at 3 p.m. in the girls' gym at the high school.
Cuero Record Link (http://www.cuerorecord.com/articles/2007/12/05/sports/sports4.txt)

garciap77
12-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Good luck Mean Green!:clap: :clap: :clap:

44INAROW
12-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Well - since we don't have any or many Shark fans on the board - there's not much more talking to be done - so I'll just post articles.. gonna be a long day........:)

from the victoriaadvocate.com 12/7/07

THEY MEET AGAIN
District 29-3A foes cross playoff paths

BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER
December 07, 2007
Fifty-six days have passed since Cuero and Palacios met in the District 29-3A opener, but it would be wrong to suggest the teams are back where they started.

Cuero’s 51-20 win in October will be a distant memory when the Gobblers (11-2) and Palacios (10-3) face off again in a Division II quarterfinal game today at 7 p.m. at Memorial Stadium in Victoria.

“So much has changed,” Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. “They’re not doing some of the same stuff they were early in the year and we’ve changed some too. Both teams have also gotten a lot better or we wouldn’t still be playing.”

Palacios is making its first playoff appearance since winning the Class 2A (now 3A) state title in 1964 and it has made the most of the opportunity. The Sharks lost to Gonzales the week after losing to Cuero before reeling off five straight wins, including a 17-6 bi-district victory over Corpus Christi West Oso, a 28-7 area triumph over Rio Hondo and a 31-20 regional win over Llano.

“It’s been a fun ride,” Palacios coach Mike Treybig said. “It’s a lot of fun to be in this situation. We don’t have the history so we really didn’t know what was going to happen once we got in. The community has really gotten behind us. That has been our greatest source of motivation.”

Palacios has made a number of adjustments since losing to Cuero. The Sharks are running more out of an I-formation than a pro set and they have also improved in the passing game. What hasn’t changed is the running of Henry Solis, who has rushed for a school-record 2,468 yards and 38 touchdowns.

“We have thrown for more yards in our three playoff games than I think we did the rest of the season,” Treybig said. “It’s mostly the little bitty finer points that we’ve gotten better doing.”

Cuero is making its third appearance in the quarterfinals in the last four years. The Gobblers have won seven straight, including a 64-7 bi-district victory over Mathis, a 42-14 area win over Port Isabel and a 29-15 regional win over Wimberley.

Cuero is no stranger to rematches in the playoffs, having played Sinton twice in 2004 and 2006. The Gobblers will be involved in their first rematch against a district opponent under Reeve.

“I think it’s great for the whole district,” Reeve said. “We were an overtime (Gonzales lost 16-13 to Pleasanton in the Division I quarterfinals) away from having three teams in this round. We’re not there by accident. It’s a real accomplishment for the kids and the coaches.”

Quincey Whittington rushed for 256 yards and one touchdown in Cuero’s win in Palacios. The Gobblers led 30-20 at halftime before breaking the game open in the second half. Solis led the Sharks by rushing for 123 yards and one touchdown.

“Kids are extremely resilient,”Treybig said. “They can bounce back a lot quicker than adults can sometimes. They’ve gotten better and we’ve gotten better. We have to come out and execute and try to make it a good football game.”

Most of Palacios’ opponents have geared up to stop Solis, but Reeve is leery about focusing too much attention on one player.

“All of us have tendencies but you’ve got to be careful about what you tell your kids,” Reeve said. “We want them to key what they’re supposed to key. We don’t want them to get into a guessing game. There are people in Las Vegas who have giant hotels because of people guessing. A guessing game is not real good.”

While Palacios must prepare for Whittington, who has rushed for 1,599 yards and 23 touchdowns, it must also get ready for the passing of Cuero quarterback Tyler Arndt, who has thrown for 2,288 yards and 22 touchdowns.

“We go into this game and sort of have to guess what they’re going to do,” Treybig said. “We looked at the tape from the last game to figure out what we can do to correct what went wrong. I’m sure they looked at it to figure out how to stop us.”

Cuero and Palacios have learned a lot about themselves and each other since their first meeting but only one team will figure out how to go deeper into the postseason.

“We’ve gotten a lot better since the first time we played them,”Solis said. “I think we deserve the rematch.”

“We’ve both gotten better since the last game,” Whittington added. “We’ll see what happens.”

NOTES: Palacios will be the home team…Tickets will be $9 at the gate…The game will be broadcast on KBAR, 100.9 FM in Victoria and KZRC, 92.5 FM in Bay City and Webcast on www.gobblersports.com…The winner will advance to the semifinals against the winner of Saturday’s Waco LaVega-China Spring game.

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com.

GO MEAN GREEN :)

HM33
12-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Today is the BIG day!!!! Who is excited??? lol

Corn Cob
12-07-2007, 11:19 AM
“Cuero and Rio Hondo were ranked 1-2 in this region. Rio Hondo was picked to beat us by 16. We beat them by 21. So, we should now be ranked No. 2.” Treybig added how proud he was of the Sharks after their Regional win over Llano.

It seems a little odd to me that a coach would be discussing "Regional Rankings" at this time of the year.

cjeffsjeep
12-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Corn Cob
It seems a little odd to me that a coach would be discussing "Regional Rankings" at this time of the year.

very good point you have lol even if they do lose tonight they will be #2 in the region lol

footballgal
12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Must be from Port Isabel
NOT!

JT44
12-07-2007, 05:37 PM
from the palacios beacon, a "little forum"
http://p094.ezboard.com/fpalaciosfrm2.showMessage?topicID=147.topic

iknoweverything
12-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Those Palacios people cant really be serious can they? They have to know that they cant win this game. Most of them in that town probably dont know what football is.

greenpride
12-07-2007, 09:41 PM
[B probably dont know what football is. [/B]

They just found out what football is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gobbler grad
12-07-2007, 10:20 PM
What happened to the Sandsharks...:dispntd:

pirate4state
12-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Congrats to the Gobblers!!! :clap: :clap: