PDA

View Full Version : BCS Worst Nightmare

CelinaCatFan
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
is coming true...

#2 West Virginia lost to Pittsburgh and #1 Missouri is down by 14 to OU. NCAA football playoffs anyone?

mchavez
12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
so LSU is ranked 7 while Georgia is #4! Could LSU win the SEC with Geogria still playing in the National Championship?

Buccaneer
12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Ohio State vs Hawaii

CelinaCatFan
12-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Hawaii will have their hands full tonight with Washington.

Sweetwater Red
12-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by mchavez
so LSU is ranked 7 while Georgia is #4! Could LSU win the SEC with Geogria still playing in the National Championship?

You have to win your conference to be eligible for the NC.

Who-dun-it!!?
12-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Where is Oregon in all this?

shellman54
12-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Negative, ghost rider. nebraska played for the NC in 01? without winning their conference championship. Unless the rules have changed, Georgia can play for the national championship

Bulldog_12
12-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Best way to win in the BCS is to sit out the final weekend of the season. I can't wait to see what this stupid system does tomorrow.

Emerson1
12-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
Where is Oregon in all this?
8-4, out of the top 25 after today

Who-dun-it!!?
12-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
8-4, out of the top 25 after today

Dang where the hell have I been?

how bout Hawaii's record?

blowfish
12-01-2007, 11:33 PM
How about my OSU Buckeyes. The football gods wouldnt allow them not to be in the NC Game.

JJ7997
12-01-2007, 11:36 PM
If Ohio State makes it everybody should boycott.

Sweetwater Red
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
Negative, ghost rider. nebraska played for the NC in 01? without winning their conference championship. Unless the rules have changed, Georgia can play for the national championship

They did. The very next year because of that.

CelinaCatFan
12-01-2007, 11:43 PM
I have a funny feeling it's going to be:

Ohio State vs LSU

DeeStroyer71
12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Good job Big 12 Kill yourself.

JJ7997
12-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
I have a funny feeling it's going to be:

Ohio State vs LSU

Funny, but your probably right. I dont see how these teams get all the love when theres teams out there that could wax the field with them that wont get the chance. Its in such a sad state of affairs I kinda wish they would put USC in there.

blowfish
12-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Scarlet and Grey looks good in the Sugar Bowl!

Go. Buckeyes!

JJ7997
12-01-2007, 11:54 PM
I wish it could be the suckeyes and USC in the Rose Bowl. USC would win 56 - 3 .

BobcatBenny
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
At this point and state of affairs, they might as well put Notre Dame in the game. We all know they want to.

Buckeye1980
12-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by shellman54

They changed rule after that

sahen
12-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Funny, but your probably right. I dont see how these teams get all the love when theres teams out there that could wax the field with them that wont get the chance. Its in such a sad state of affairs I kinda wish they would put USC in there.

i agree about tOSU but i dont think anyone would "wax" a healthy LSU, which is what they will be in the championship game if they go..

sahen
12-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
They changed rule after that

if they changed the rule then no one in the media knows about it, they all are talkin about Georgia possibly being in the game...

here are the rules from the BCS http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

the only thing it says is the number one team will play the number 2 team for the championship....

DeeStroyer71
12-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Salute to the Big 12. Great job of shooting yourself in the head. And for what? Money. Money is more important than your member schools. Outstanding job Big 12.

sahen
12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by DeeStroyer71
Salute to the Big 12. Great job of shooting yourself in the head. And for what? Money. Money is more important than your member schools. Outstanding job Big 12.

you cant expect teams to lay down and not play....and it isnt just the big 12....pretty much every conference did that this year...its what happens when you have parity....

blowfish
12-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Let me get this straight.. LSU was #1 not once but twice this year and lost both times. And then they barely beat UT tonight. LSU Sucks. Most overated team in College Football.

DeeStroyer71
12-02-2007, 12:13 AM
No it happens when you have a conference championship game that gives you top member schools a chance to get beat. Who has played in the MNC game? USC and OSU who both DON'T have a championship game. The Georgia coach is on saying how THEY deserve to be in it because they are 4 and the 2 top teams lost. ITS BcS. Again great job Big 12 kill your schools. Who really benefits? Baylor. No bowl game and get a cut of the schools who go to a bowl. Todays loss cost the conference. Money is more important than the good of the conference. It sucks. great job. Two weeks ago the Big 12 had 3 teams in the top 5. Today none. Good Job

sahen
12-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by DeeStroyer71
No it happens when you have a conference championship game that gives you top member schools a chance to get beat. Who has played in the MNC game? USC and OSU who both DON'T have a championship game. The Georgia coach is on saying how THEY deserve to be in it because they are 4 and the 2 top teams lost. ITS BcS. Again great job Big 12 kill your schools. Who really benefits? Baylor. No bowl game and get a cut of the schools who go to a bowl. Todays loss cost the conference. Money is more important than the good of the conference. It sucks. great job. Two weeks ago the Big 12 had 3 teams in the top 5. Today none. Good Job

hey nice way to throw my school under the bus to try to prove your point....the championships also help your conference out...put LSU and OU in it a couple years ago over USC...they can help your teams jump other teams not playing that week which is what migh thappen w/ either Va. Tech or LSU...

also, 2 outa 3 from KU, MU, and OU will be in the top 5 in the next BCS....u dont really know what the heck ur talkin about, ur just spewing crap....

sahen
12-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by blowfish
Let me get this straight.. LSU was #1 not once but twice this year and lost both times. And then they barely beat UT tonight. LSU Sucks. Most overated team in College Football.

the #1 ranking and losing twice...true but name a team that has proven more this year? every single team has sucked when they were ranked up there....its an odd year...

Bulldog_12
12-02-2007, 05:38 AM
All I am saying is that if Georgia ends up making it in and KU is sitting at home, I would expect everyone to boycott. Until they either make EVERYONE play a conference championship or do away with it completely, this system will never work. OSU is being rewarded for sitting at home for 2 weeks and letting everyone ahead of them lose in championship games and such. Congrats, you walked through a mediocre at best Big Ten. Oh wait, you lost to Illinois in your next to last game. Forget I mentioned the whole walking through part.:rolleyes:

Phil C
12-02-2007, 09:49 AM
This is great! The BCS is in a mess and if we can keep having years like this we may get a real playoff like the other divisions. It should probably be Hawaii and GA in the final game but BCS won't let that. No matter who gets there there will be lots of controversy because it will be felt by some that teams that didn't get there should be there and that those that are there shouldn't be.

I love it!

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by sahen
u dont really know what the heck ur talkin about, ur just spewing crap....

thank you...

Shooting themselves in the foot? Dude acts like they just started doing it this year... did the other 8 confrences that have championships shoot themselves in the foot as well?

from the Big 12 website:

"Through the first nine Bowl Championship Series title games, the Big 12 leads all conferences with five appearances in the contest. Big 12 squads have played for the football national championship five times in the last eight years, with berths in 12 BCS games overall. "

some serious foot shooting there

:rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I've always believed in the saying, "you're responsible for your own actions!"... The Big 12 didn't lose that game for Missouri, and they didn't win it for Oklahoma... they've had this system in place for years, the two teams got there and that's that... there will be two big 12 teams participating in BCS Bowl games this year (my opinion)... that's pretty damn good...

LH Panther Mom
12-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by sahen
u dont really know what the heck ur talkin about, ur just spewing crap....
A big shock, considering.... ;)

3afan
12-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I've always believed in the saying, "you're responsible for your own actions!"... The Big 12 didn't lose that game for Missouri, and they didn't win it for Oklahoma... they've had this system in place for years, the two teams got there and that's that... there will be two big 12 teams participating in BCS Bowl games this year (my opinion)... that's pretty damn good...

agree

the 2 best teams right now? USC & Georgia

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
agree

I agree with USC and Georgia... USC is back to playing consistant... playing very disciplined ball... Georgia is just mad good... one of the most motivated teams I've seen... that'd be a great game...

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 11:41 AM
agree

I agree 100% with this statement.

On another note, why all the LSU hate? They've played better than anyone else in the nation throughout the entire season (both of their losses have come in multiple OT's, have knocked off a slew of quality teams (VaTech, South Carolina, Auburn, Florida, and most recently Tennessee), and still nobody seems to want to give them credit.

So who's played a better season? Hawaii? Yeah, right. West Virginia? Sorry, but no. Mizzou? Mizzou still hasn't beat a top-quality opponent like LSU has... and Mizzou was never the one throwing the punches against OU, they were always the one on the receiving end, waiting for their opportunity to come back. Kansas? Nope, I'm more of a KU hater than anyone. They're simply an average team that caught lighting in a bottle against an easy schedule during the year nobody else could seem to pull it togther.

Ohio State's honestly the only team you can argue, and their schedule hasn't been anything close to LSU's. Their only loss came against a team that's currently in the top 15 and was only by a little. You could almost argue the same for USC. Their last loss came against a near-unstoppable Oregon squad, but that loss to Stanford wasn't impressive at all. Meanwhile, LSU lost to two top-25-caliber teams in Arkie and Kentucky (and before you say anything, both have been ranked at some point during the year).

Basically, if I was putting two teams in the championship, mine would be tOSU and LSU, two of my hated teams, because of their entire body of work. It'd also be nice if USC and Georgia could meet in the Rose Bowl.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 11:53 AM
agree

USC?

09/01 Idaho W 38-10
09/15 at #14 Nebraska W 49-31
09/22 Wash St W 47-14
09/29 at Washington W 27-24
10/06 Stanford L 24-23
10/13 Arizona W 20-13
10/20 at N Dame W 38-0
10/27 at #5 Oregon L 24-17
11/03 Oregon St W 24-3
11/10 at #24 California W 24-17
11/22 at #6 Arizona St W 44-24
12/01 UCLA W 24-7

So they lost to two very marginal teams in Stanford and Oregon. Go ahead and say that Oregon was #5, but we finally got to see how good Oregon was. How are they the best teams right now?

Emerson1
12-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
USC?

So they lost to two very marginal teams in Stanford and Oregon. Go ahead and say that Oregon was #5, but we finally got to see how good Oregon was. How are they the best teams right now?
They beat Oregon when they had Dennis Dixon though.

This is what I love and hate about the BCS. I love that all of your games matter, but I hate that a team cannot get better throughout the year. They could currently be the greatest football team ever but since they lost earlier in the year they are screwed.

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 12:06 PM

In the loss to Oregon Dixon was playing for the Ducks... with Dixon the team was better on offense (have you seen the back-up, Leaf) and they were more confident in what they could do...

Against Stanford? upset... should not have lost that game, PERIOD... but that game was almost two months ago... and the Oregon game was over a month ago...

two months after the Stanford loss and one month after the Oregon loss, USC is a MUCH better team... they're finally healthy and are playing great football...

key words: right now...

loboes86
12-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
Dang where the hell have I been?

how bout Hawaii's record? Hawaii's record is 12 & 0 they beat Washington. Watched it on game of the week. Washington had them down 28 to 7 at one point. Hawaii won 35 to 28.

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 12:41 PM
that was a helluva game (Ha/Wa), wasn't it?

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 12:46 PM
USC?

09/01 Idaho W 38-10
09/15 at #14 Nebraska W 49-31
09/22 Wash St W 47-14
09/29 at Washington W 27-24
10/06 Stanford L 24-23
10/13 Arizona W 20-13
10/20 at N Dame W 38-0
10/27 at #5 Oregon L 24-17
11/03 Oregon St W 24-3
11/10 at #24 California W 24-17
11/22 at #6 Arizona St W 44-24
12/01 UCLA W 24-7

Since we're just talking about the here and now, those two games don't count. They beat a solid Cal squad then blew out a very good Arizona State team.

I'll argue day and night that Oregon would still be in the chase if Dennis Dixon was still leading them. Everyone knows how big of a loss it can be when your best player goes down. It's the difference between finishing the year with one loss and finishing the year with four or five. Dixon, IMO, was one of the three most valuable players in the nation to his particular team... the other two being Matt Ryan and Andre Woodson.

The Stanford loss was definitely a black mark, though. No excuse for that. That's why I don't know if I'd put them in the NC ahead of either LSU or tOSU.

Emerson1
12-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
the other two being Matt Ryan

You watch to much ESPN

loboes86
12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
that was a helluva game (Ha/Wa), wasn't it? Yes it was. That last interception by Ha. was sommin else.

Rattlesnake_08
12-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I think as far as a playoff system goes, the NCAA should create a system of 32 teams, and possibly use the BCS to seed the teams. Also, in order to make the BCS more accurate every conference in this Division should have a conference Championship, with every conference on the same level of consideration. So, that the season doesn't end up too long the regular season should be changed to 10 games with each team having to play at least 8 conference games. I think this would reduce the number of rediculous games (i. e. Michigan vs. App. State), and would give teams an oppurtunity to play some real football. Truth is, I don't think seeding would be the biggest deal, because imo if your team wants to win a National Championship, then you're going to have to play other good teams anyways. Just my thoughts though.

Emerson1
12-02-2007, 01:30 PM
32 teams is to many and won't ever happen.

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 01:30 PM
I like the 16 team system that's been tossed around... all 11 confrence champions and 5 at-larges make up the 16 team field... keep the other bowl games like the KraftCheese.com bowl or whatever...

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Since we're just talking about the here and now, those two games don't count. They beat a solid Cal squad then blew out a very good Arizona State team.

I'll argue day and night that Oregon would still be in the chase if Dennis Dixon was still leading them. Everyone knows how big of a loss it can be when your best player goes down. It's the difference between finishing the year with one loss and finishing the year with four or five. Dixon, IMO, was one of the three most valuable players in the nation to his particular team... the other two being Matt Ryan and Andre Woodson.

The Stanford loss was definitely a black mark, though. No excuse for that. That's why I don't know if I'd put them in the NC ahead of either LSU or tOSU.

They do matter, and they should. Sure Oregon was a key part of Oregon, but I dont think he is the absolute difference in all of their losses. Its been a crazy year, but how do you say a team that lost to Stanford deserves to be in the running for a NC title when there are teams that didnt lose to the likes of a Stanford? Sorry. Just dont think USC is of that caliber this year. Nor do I think Zona or Oregon(with Dixon) is either. Just my opinion though.

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 02:05 PM
They do matter, and they should. Sure Oregon was a key part of Oregon, but I dont think he is the absolute difference in all of their losses. Its been a crazy year, but how do you say a team that lost to Stanford deserves to be in the running for a NC title when there are teams that didnt lose to the likes of a Stanford? Sorry. Just dont think USC is of that caliber this year. Nor do I think Zona or Oregon(with Dixon) is either. Just my opinion though.

lol

did you not read his post?

No one here is saying they should be... with the system the way it is, to stay true to the system doesn't allow USC to be in there in the first place... all we're saying is that RIGHT NOW (which is what 3afan was saying when starting this discussion) USC and Georgia may be the best teams in the country...

I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere...

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 02:22 PM
You watch to much ESPN
I think there's been a misunderstanding somewhere. You have me confused with someone else.

The only show I watch on ESPN is College GameDay and an occassional dose of Pardon the Interruption. I haven't been able to stomach 10 minutes of SportsCenter for more than five years now, can't stand their coverage of the NBA, even without Screamin' A, and haven't watched a single episode of Baseball Tonight since Harold Reynolds left.

But I have actually watched Matt Ryan play more than a few times these last two years and have seen how much of a difference he makes to an otherwise-mediocre team. He single-handedly led them to a season-opening win over the defending ACC champs and most well-coached team in the nation, put them over the top against a Georgia Tech team that was playing great football to start the season, and came alive just in time to save his squad against a stubborn VaTech defense.

So you obviously have me confused with someone who just watches highlights and makes snap decisions on players based on the highlights I've seen. No, I'm not that guy. I hardly watch the highlights. I get most of my info from the newspaper, online, or just by planting myself in front of a TV all day Saturday.

TOPDOG
12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
wow what a joke.....you have an unbeaten team and not even in the mix...but it's not who has the best record it's who can make the money and ratings.....what a joke

GoStafford
12-02-2007, 02:41 PM
the earliest it would happen would be 2011

Gobbla2001
12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I say OU vs. Hawaii for the title game... that's what I'd do if I were a stupid computer system...

Hawaii - undefeated
OU - Quality win over the #1 team in the country to win a confrence championship...

Emerson1
12-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I think there's been a misunderstanding somewhere. You have me confused with someone else.

Nope, I think I have the right person. You think someone with 28 touchdowns and 18 interceptions should win the heisman. Product of the ESPN hype machine.

KTJ
12-02-2007, 03:12 PM
A 32 team playoff will NEVER happen.

Start at 8 teams and go from there.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 03:29 PM
lol

did you not read his post?

No one here is saying they should be... with the system the way it is, to stay true to the system doesn't allow USC to be in there in the first place... all we're saying is that RIGHT NOW (which is what 3afan was saying when starting this discussion) USC and Georgia may be the best teams in the country...

I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere...

I read it. I wasn't only directing my response to him. And right now, they may not be the best team in the country either. I think the conference is not as strong as the past 3 years. That is why I dont think they are the best team RIGHT NOW. And like I said, it is just my opinion. Like you saying Georgia and USC are the best is yours.

IHStangFan
12-02-2007, 03:57 PM
it sure is interesting thats for sure...but I don't think it is 100% at getting the best two teams in the nation into the champ. game. All I keep hearing from the media is how "hot" USC is...so what. So is Georgia. Point is...hot or not..USC has a couple of embarrassing losses...period. I DO like some of the projected bowl matchups I see though....UT/ASU in the Holiday bowl..if that pans out..I'll be watching as ASU is my "other" team...and A&M/Penn State in the Alamo bowl...could be interesting as well.

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by TOPDOG
wow what a joke.....you have an unbeaten team and not even in the mix...but it's not who has the best record it's who can make the money and ratings.....what a joke
Man, you and Hawaii. You're one of those people who cares more about the records than the body of work, aren't you? Even if the records aren't on an even playing field.

And I'm not talking uneven playing field as in the NBA Atlantic Division vs. the NBA Southwest Division, I'm talking uneven as in the SEC vs. the friggin' WAC.

Well sign me up to play Temple, Grand Valley State, Buffalo, and Miami of Ohio.

Nope, I think I have the right person. You think someone with 28 touchdowns and 18 interceptions should win the heisman. Product of the ESPN hype machine.
I never commented about his Heisman candidacy. I commented about his value to his team. Nothing more, nothing less.

In BC's three losses
Florida State 26/53 415 7.8 2 3
@ Maryland 33/56 421 7.5 3 2
VaTech (ACC Championship) 33/52 305 5.9 0 2

They lost every single one of those games. The FSU and ACC Championship games were the only games all year in which he threw more picks than TD's.

And if you want to argue about a man's season or career based on how many picks he threw, you may as well lump Brett Favre, Dan Marino, and John Elway into the argument, too. And while you're at it, throw in BJ Symons (the most valuable QB Tech's had under the Leach era) and Philip Rivers, two QB's not afraid to throw it anywhere.

Either way, Ryan's the best ACC QB since Rivers, 18 picks or not.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
All I keep hearing from the media is how "hot" USC is...so what. So is Georgia. Point is...hot or not..USC has a couple of embarrassing losses...period.

ESPN has always leaned towards USC. And I agree. Very embarrassing losses.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Also, #7 LSU beats #14 Tennessee 21-14 and moves to number #1 in the AP, while #9 OU thumps #1 Missourri 38-17 and moves to #3? Doesnt seem right to me. Not building a case for anyone. I hate OU. Just saying that there is something wrong with the system when things like this take place.

IHStangFan
12-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Also, #7 LSU beats #14 Tennessee 21-14 and moves to number #1 in the AP, while #9 OU thumps #1 Missourri 38-17 and moves to #3? Doesnt seem right to me. Not building a case for anyone. I hate OU. Just saying that there is something wrong with the system when things like this take place. amen, I completely agree.

TheDOCTORdre
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
amen, I completely agree.

you're a racist for agreeing with that hahaha, I am way to bored

Rattlesnake_08
12-02-2007, 06:13 PM
32 teams is to many and won't ever happen.

32 teams allows for teams that have winning records, but are not conference Champions to compete, like having four or five from the Big 12, and four or five from the SEC, so on and so forth. Also if the season was only ten games, then having a five game playoff system wouldn't be that bad.

charlesrixey
12-02-2007, 06:24 PM
there's a reason Hawaii is number 12 as an unbeaten:

Sun, Sep 2 Northern Colorado W 63-6 --
Sat, Sep 8 at Louisiana Tech W 45-44 --
Sat, Sep 15 at UNLV W 49-14 --
Sun, Sep 23 Charleston Southern W 66-10 --
Sat, Sep 29 at Idaho W 48-20 --
Sun, Oct 7 Utah State W 52-37 --
Fri, Oct 12 at San Jose State W 42-35 --
Sun, Oct 28 New Mexico State W 50-13 --
Sat, Nov 10 Fresno State W 37-30 --
Fri, Nov 16 at Nevada W 28-26 --
Fri, Nov 23 (17) Boise State W 39-27 --
Sat, Dec 1 Washington W 35-28

a bunch of close games against weak WAC teams doesn't signal a team that could offer any chance of repeating Boise State's play of last year (BS was much better overall)

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

a bunch of close games against weak WAC teams doesn't signal a team that could offer any chance of repeating Boise State's play of last year (BS was much better overall)

Another voice of reason. :clap:

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 06:40 PM
And Boise lost a whole lot from last year's team. Sure, they kept Ian Johnson, but Taylor Tharp won't make anyone forget Jared Zabransky, they lost all their stud wideouts, and even though the defense is still one of the best in the WAC, it's not even close to as good as it was last year (when they were shutting down both running and passing teams and everyone else who was trying to play catch up).

IHStangFan
12-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
you're a racist for agreeing with that hahaha, I am way to bored you know me....keepin ya down...one man at a time. :D

I'm all about a playoff system of some sort though...it's just that..some years the BCS works like it's supposed to..and everyone is fine w/ it...but when it doesn't...WOW...and this year...it DEFINITELY isn't going to work. Wish we could come up w/ something in the middle. Nobody is ever gonna be TOTALLY happy w/ the system that is in place.

TOPDOG
12-02-2007, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by big daddy russ
[B]Man, you and Hawaii. You're one of those people who cares more about the records than the body of work, aren't you? Even if the records aren't on an even playing field.

All I am saying is MONEY talks and TV ratings....and if records don't mean anything then why keep the W/L stats?

IHStangFan
12-02-2007, 07:00 PM

a bunch of close games against weak WAC teams doesn't signal a team that could offer any chance of repeating Boise State's play of last year (BS was much better overall) I see both sides of the argument....and I agree w/ both....but part of me says "to hell w/ it...all you have to do is put a team like Hawaii in there ONE time....(its not like teams that DESERVED to be there haven't been screwed outa it before) and let em play...if they get blown outa the stadium....then that'll quell the argument for "well they're undefeated!!!" and if they somehow pull out a W...then from then on we would have to pay more attention to the little guys w/ the unblemished records. I say why not....but at the same time I say "schedule some tougher non-conf. games next year and prove yourself" I'm torn. :doh:

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by TOPDOG
[QUOTE]Originally posted by big daddy russ
[B]Man, you and Hawaii. You're one of those people who cares more about the records than the body of work, aren't you? Even if the records aren't on an even playing field.

All I am saying is MONEY talks and TV ratings....and if records don't mean anything then why keep the W/L stats?

You dont think it is possible that Hawaii had a cush schedule and has not faced a tough opponent this season, and that is the reason they arent going to get a title shot? Sure money and TV ratings have something to do with it and shouldnt, but at the same time they have not earned the right to play for a NC title game. Sure they won every game, but who have they played?

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 07:02 PM
I see both sides of the argument....and I agree w/ both....but part of me says "to hell w/ it...all you have to do is put a team like Hawaii in there ONE time....(its not like teams that DESERVED to be there haven't been screwed outa it before) and let em play...if they get blown outa the stadium....then that'll quell the argument for "well they're undefeated!!!" and if they somehow pull out a W...then from then on we would have to pay more attention to the little guys w/ the unblemished records. I say why not....but at the same time I say "schedule some tougher non-conf. games next year and prove yourself" I'm torn. :doh:

True, but it would be as embarrassing as OU getting blown out in the NC title game a few years ago. Do you really think they could play with LSU or OU? Doubtful. OSU maybe, but that is because I think they are a weak team this year too.

IHStangFan
12-02-2007, 07:05 PM
True, but it would be as embarrassing as OU getting blown out in the NC title game a few years ago. Do you really think they could play with LSU or OU? Doubtful. OSU maybe, but that is because I think they are a weak team this year too. I hear ya...and I TOTALLY agree on OSU...where are their quality wins? Michigan? LOL...please. If you ask me....right now..if I had to pick two teams to play for the champ. tomorrow...it'd be OU/LSU.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
I hear ya...and I TOTALLY agree on OSU...where are their quality wins? Michigan? LOL...please. If you ask me....right now..if I had to pick two teams to play for the champ. tomorrow...it'd be OU/LSU.

They are the only two that I think deserve it. OSU has not played a team ranked about 21st. Hawaii beat one ranked team in Boise State. Georgia has beaten every ranked team they played this year, but lost to SC and Tenn. USC did beat two top 15 teams in Nebraska and Arizona St., but they both have proven to be extremely overrated. VT lost to Boston College and got thumped by LSU. I mean when you really look at the entire season and take it all into account, my two teams are OU/LSU.

IHStangFan
12-02-2007, 07:18 PM
They are the only two that I think deserve it. OSU has not played a team ranked about 21st. Hawaii beat one ranked team in Boise State. Georgia has beaten every ranked team they played this year, but lost to SC and Tenn. USC did beat two top 15 teams in Nebraska and Arizona St., but they both have proven to be extremely overrated. VT lost to Boston College and got thumped by LSU. I mean when you really look at the entire season and take it all into account, my two teams are OU/LSU. agreed...UGA is the ONLY other team I'd even CONSIDER putting into the mix.

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Rattlesnake_08
32 teams allows for teams that have winning records, but are not conference Champions to compete, like having four or five from the Big 12, and four or five from the SEC, so on and so forth. Also if the season was only ten games, then having a five game playoff system wouldn't be that bad.
This is the situation where I prefer the BCS to a playoff system. 16 would be the maximum number of teams I'd want to see. Every single game would still matter, making the NCAA continue to be much more watchable than the NFL on a week-to-week basis.

I have a feeling that before long, those playoffs would eventually become the long-lost brother of the Texas HS playoffs... watered down and with many games of little interest to anyone outside their school's following.

I'm in favor of the 16-team playoff system that takes all the conference champions then uses the BCS to determine the other five teams (sorry independents, no automatic bids outside conference championships) and to determine playoff seeding.

Keep all the classic first- and second-tier bowls and use them for the games. Then let all the other lower-level bowls fight over the other 103 teams that aren't in the playoffs. Oh, and force the Cotton Bowl and any other venues that look like the stuff on my used toilet paper and forcing them to do some renovations. Until those renovations are complete, the games will be divvied out to lower-end bowls.

Example:
Quarterfinals- Fiesta Bowl (sorry, Fiesta, you were the first bowl to sell out {see 1987 Miami vs. Penn St.} and have less prestige and tradition than most of the second-tier bowls, so you're demoted), Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Gator Bowl/Citrus Bowl... we'll let 'em fight it out
Semifinals- Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl
Championship- Rose Bowl

Oh, and we're getting rid of the rediculous sponsor names. It can no longer be called the "Chick-Fil-A Bowl," it must be addressed as the "Peach Bowl," and you're welcome to add "sponsored by Chick-Fil-A" if you desire. Same thing for the Outback (Citrus) Bowl. That makes three bowls (Gator/Citrus and Orange) on the East Coast, two (Cotton and Sugar) in south/central U.S., and two (Fiesta, Rose) on the west coast. Sounds like a deal to me.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
This is the situation where I prefer the BCS to a playoff system. 16 would be the maximum number of teams I'd want to see. Every single game would still matter, making the NCAA continue to be much more watchable than the NFL on a week-to-week basis.

I have a feeling that before long, those playoffs would eventually become the long-lost brother of the Texas HS playoffs... watered down and with many games of little interest to anyone outside their school's following.

I'm in favor of the 16-team playoff system that takes all the conference champions then uses the BCS to determine the other five teams (sorry independents, no automatic bids outside conference championships) and to determine playoff seeding.

Keep all the classic first- and second-tier bowls and use them for the games. Then let all the other lower-level bowls fight over the other 103 teams that aren't in the playoffs. Oh, and force the Cotton Bowl and any other venues that look like the stuff on my used toilet paper and forcing them to do some renovations. Until those renovations are complete, the games will be divvied out to lower-end bowls.

Example:
Quarterfinals- Fiesta Bowl (sorry, Fiesta, you were the first bowl to sell out {see 1987 Miami vs. Penn St.} and have less prestige and tradition than most of the second-tier bowls, so you're demoted), Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Gator Bowl/Citrus Bowl... we'll let 'em fight it out
Championship- Rose Bowl

Oh, and we're getting rid of the rediculous sponsor names. It can no longer be called the "Chick-Fil-A Bowl," it must be addressed as the "Peach Bowl," and you're welcome to add "sponsored by Chick-Fil-A" if you desire. Same thing for the Outback (Citrus) Bowl. That makes three bowls (Gator/Citrus and Orange) on the East Coast, two (Cotton and Sugar) in south/central U.S., and two (Fiesta, Rose) on the west coast. Sounds like a deal to me.

Or you could use some of the smaller bowls as at-large games for a shot to make the playoffs. ;)

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Example:
Championship- Rose Bowl

While that sounds great, your asking the fanbase of a team who makes it to the NC to travel week after week to nuetral venues..most thousands of miles away...IMO play it like the NFL or lower divisions, play-offs at home of higher seeded teams

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While that sounds great, your asking the fanbase of a team who makes it to the NC to travel week after week to nuetral venues..most thousands of miles away...IMO play it like the NFL or lower divisions, play-offs at home of higher seeded teams

Also a good idea.

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 07:59 PM
What if Minnesota makes a run through the playoffs as a home team?

They originally put the bowls in the south because of the milder weather. I say leave the bowls in the south, where they were supposed to be all along until those nuts up north came up with things like the GMAC Bowl, Motor City Bowl, and Humanitarian Bowl.

SpeedOption
12-02-2007, 08:00 PM
The BCS hates the Big 12. Yes it let Nebraska in, which did not deserve to play that year. But with 3 teams in the top 5 2 weeks ago and people talking that a 2 loss LSU team should get in, why isnt there any talk of a 2 loss OU or Missouri team still playing for it?

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
The BCS hates the Big 12. Yes it let Nebraska in, which did not deserve to play that year. But with 3 teams in the top 5 2 weeks ago and people talking that a 2 loss LSU team should get in, why isnt there any talk of a 2 loss OU or Missouri team still playing for it?

You can make the OU argument, but Mizzou lost to OU twice. So Mizz is out. But what about KU. They should atleast be considered since they only lost to Mizz.

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
Dude, the Big XII would have it's arse handed to it by the SEC. It would be downright dirty.

I think OU could compete with LSU any given day of the week, but after what LSU and Georgia had to go through on a week-to-week basis, there shouldn't be any other two-loss teams that are even considered for the National Title.

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2007, 08:04 PM
What if Minnesota makes a run through the playoffs as a home team?

They originally put the bowls in the south because of the milder weather. I say leave the bowls in the south, where they were supposed to be all along until those nuts up north came up with things like the GMAC Bowl, Motor City Bowl, and Humanitarian Bowl.

So..What if Green Bay makes a run in the NFL play-offs as a home team

Or a Lower division school makes a run thru the play-offs at home

It is just not feasable to have fan bases of teams travel every week thousands of miles

Also it would give the top seeds more reward, to force a team to come to their place

Look how huge Dallas vs Green Bay this week..two teams assured a spot already, yet that game was played like a play-off game

Think about if OU and Texas hooked back up in the play-offs..how big the atmosphere in Austin or Norman, instead of being shipped out to the Holiday Bowl

Set it up just like NFL..Only Nuetral game is the Title Game

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Dude, the Big XII would have it's arse handed to it by the SEC. It would be downright dirty.

I think OU could compete with LSU any given day of the week, but after what LSU and Georgia had to go through on a week-to-week basis, there shouldn't be any other two-loss teams that are even considered for the National Title.

Agree to disagree. I usually think what you say has merit, but I am not one of those people that think the SEC is head and shoulders better than the SEC. Sorry Russ. Not this time. And from looking at the rankings I am not the only one that feels that way. I thin kthey could compete with each other, especially in a year filled with upsets.

1 Ohio State
2 LSU
3 Oklahoma
4 Georgia
5 Virginia Tech
6 Southern California
7 Missouri
8 Kansas
9 Florida
10 Hawaii

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 08:12 PM
So..What if Green Bay makes a run in the NFL play-offs as a home team

Or a Lower division school makes a run thru the play-offs at home

It is just not feasable to have fan bases of teams travel every week thousands of miles

Also it would give the top seeds more reward, to force a team to come to their place

Look how huge Dallas vs Green Bay this week..two teams assured a spot already, yet that game was played like a play-off game

Think about if OU and Texas hooked back up in the play-offs..how big the atmosphere in Austin or Norman, instead of being shipped out to the Holiday Bowl

Set it up just like NFL..Only Nuetral game is the Title Game
I could care less about all that. I just don't want to be forced to follow Auburn or (through marraige) A&M to a national championship game in negative-degree weather. :D

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I could care less about all that. I just don't want to be forced to follow (through marraige) A&M to a national championship game in negative-degree weather. :D

You dont have to worry about that.....

JK....that is for BBDE.:)

JJ7997
12-02-2007, 08:20 PM

I disagree. There are SEC teams that could probably beat most Big 12 teams, but the opposite is true as well. It all comes down to how teams matchup .

Georgia could beat OU, but I dont think LSU could.

Texas could beat Kentucky, who lost to LSU, but LSU could beat up on Texas.

If the Aggies were to play Tennessee, who beat Kentucky, who in turn beat LSU, and came out and played like they did against Texas then they would blow them out.

To sum it up, that old SEC is untouchable theory doesnt hold water.

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Agree to disagree. I usually think what you say has merit, but I am not one of those people that think the SEC is head and shoulders better than the SEC. Sorry Russ. Not this time. And from looking at the rankings I am not the only one that feels that way. I thin kthey could compete with each other, especially in a year filled with upsets.

1 Ohio State
2 LSU
3 Oklahoma
4 Georgia
5 Virginia Tech
6 Southern California
7 Missouri
8 Kansas
9 Florida
10 Hawaii
Sorry, but I think that has to do as much with weak schedules as anything else, not necessarily a reflection of how good the teams actually are.

I'm still a huge Kansas hater. They haven't really showed me anything except grittiness and are lucky they played the schedule they did this year. If they would've played the also-rans from the SEC; Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State, they would've finished with no less than two losses, more than likely three.

Besides, if the pollsters really felt that way, the SEC wouldn't be the only conference with a four-loss team in the top 25. Oh, and they have four.

2. LSU (11) 11-2 1,519
4. Georgia (1) 10-2 1,421
9. Florida 9-3 1,071
16. Tennessee 9-4 554
22. Auburn 8-4 264
25. Arkansas 8-4 173

No other conference has more than four teams in the top 25 and no other conference (except maybe, maybe the Pac-10) can match up with the SEC's speed.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Sorry, but I think that has to do as much with weak schedules as anything else, not necessarily a reflection of how good the teams actually are.

I'm still a huge Kansas hater. They haven't really showed me anything except grittiness and are lucky they played the schedule they did this year. If they would've played the also-rans from the SEC; Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State, they would've finished with no less than two losses, more than likely three.

Besides, if the pollsters really felt that way, the SEC wouldn't be the only conference with a four-loss team in the top 25. Oh, and they have four.

2. LSU (11) 11-2 1,519
4. Georgia (1) 10-2 1,421
9. Florida 9-3 1,071
16. Tennessee 9-4 554
22. Auburn 8-4 264
25. Arkansas 8-4 173

No other conference has more than four teams in the top 25 and no other conference (except maybe, maybe the Pac-10) can match up with the SEC's speed.

Agree to disagree. Its all an opinion anyway. They dont play each other consistently enough to say. My opinion is that they would match up with the SEC. Also, everyone says year in and year out that the SEC is where it is at, but the weaker, inferior Big 12 has sent 8 teams like 6 out of the last 8 years(something like that anyway). Gets pretty old also considering the big 12 has been represented in more NC title games in the last 15 years than the SEC, etc.

I know you are talking about this year, but this is the same argument made almost every single year. They can both play with each other. The SEC is in my opinion not head and shoulders above the Big 12.

JJ7997
12-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Jokelahoma, Texas, Mizzou, heck even Colorado to a degree has as many speedy players as those SEC teams. You dont play a skill position at the D1 level if you arent fast. There is plenty of speed in the Big 12.

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I disagree. There are SEC teams that could probably beat most Big 12 teams, but the opposite is true as well. It all comes down to how teams matchup .

Georgia could beat OU, but I dont think LSU could.

Texas could beat Kentucky, who lost to LSU, but LSU could beat up on Texas.

If the Aggies were to play Tennessee, who beat Kentucky, who in turn beat LSU, and came out and played like they did against Texas then they would blow them out.

To sum it up, that old SEC is untouchable theory doesnt hold water.
They boast no less than nine teams that could be legitimate top-25 teams. Let's just go down the line.

1st seed-- OU vs. LSU
2nd-- Mizzou vs. UGA
3rd-- Kansas (and I honestly think KU is only the fourth-best team in the conference, but we'll go with 3rd based on the record) vs. Florida
4th-- UT vs. UT
5th-- Tech vs. Auburn
6th-- A&M vs. Arkansas
7th-- OSU vs. Kentucky
8th-- Colorado vs. Alabama
9th-- K-State vs. South Carolina
10th-- Nebraska vs. Mississippi State
11th-- Iowa St. vs. Vandy
12th-- Baylor vs. Ole Miss

Mix it up any which way you want, I'm seeing a ton of games tilting towards the east. The only team in the Big XII on the same level as Florida (the SEC's third-best team) is OU... so me throwing Kansas against the Gators as a sacrificial lamb and pitting Texas against Tennessee in a winnable game actually helps the Big XII IMO.

Complete annhilation. Sorry man, but those rose-colored glasses must be really comfy if you've had them on long enough to think the SEC isn't head-and-shoulders better than the Big XII. It isn't even close.

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Jokelahoma, Texas, Mizzou, heck even Colorado to a degree has as many speedy players as those SEC teams. You dont play a skill position at the D1 level if you arent fast. There is plenty of speed in the Big 12.
You're right. They just don't have as many.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 08:51 PM
They boast no less than nine teams that could be legitimate top-25 teams. Let's just go down the line.

1st seed-- OU vs. LSU
2nd-- Mizzou vs. UGA
3rd-- Kansas (and I honestly think KU is only the fourth-best team in the conference, but we'll go with 3rd based on the record) vs. Florida
4th-- UT vs. UT
5th-- Tech vs. Auburn
6th-- A&M vs. Arkansas
7th-- OSU vs. Kentucky

Mix it up any which way you want, I'm seeing a ton of games tilting towards the east. The only team in the Big XII on the same level as Florida (the SEC's third-best team) is OU... so me throwing Kansas against the Gators as a sacrificial lamb and pitting Texas against Tennessee in a winnable game actually helps the Big XII IMO.

Complete annhilation. Sorry man, but those rose-colored glasses must be really comfy if you've had them on long enough to think the SEC isn't head-and-shoulders better than the Big XII. It isn't even close.

Or your rose colored glasses. Its an opinion you hold. Surely you can agree with that. Or are you presenting the above as fact? And I think from top to bottom the Big 12 would not get annihilated. Like I said earlier though, that is my opinion. You can say what you want, but we wont know. And over the last 10-15 years, the Big 12 has shown it deserves to be in any football conversation.

JJ7997
12-02-2007, 09:06 PM

1st seed-- OU vs. LSU
2nd-- Mizzou vs. UGA
4th-- UT vs. UT
5th-- Tech vs. Auburn
6th-- A&M vs. Arkansas
7th-- OSU vs. Kentucky

OU would beat LSU
Mizzou or Georgia is a toss up
Texas would beat Tennessee
Tech could beat Auburn
Aggies would beat the Hogs, if the right team showed up.
Okie Lite is more than capable of beating overrated Kentucky
Colorado would beat the Tide

That doesnt look too lopsided to me. Too bad these games cant happen.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 09:07 PM
OU would beat LSU
Mizzou or Georgia is a toss up
Texas would beat Tennessee
Tech could beat Auburn
Aggies would beat the Hogs, if the right team showed up.
Okie Lite is more than capable of beating overrated Kentucky
Colorado would beat the Tide

That doesnt look too lopsided to me. Too bad these games cant happen.

Nope, that is annihilation. :D

JJ7997
12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
If you want to make an arguement about a conference that dont measure up, then lets talk about the Big 10.

I would much rather see a three loss Texas team in the title game than Ohio State, at least the Horns could keep it a ballgame.

big daddy russ
12-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Or your rose colored glasses. Its an opinion you hold. Surely you can agree with that. Or are you presenting the above as fact? And I think from top to bottom the Big 12 would not get annihilated. Like I said earlier though, that is my opinion. You can say what you want, but we wont know. And over the last 10-15 years, the Big 12 has shown it deserves to be in any football conversation.
You're right. Definitely my opinion, but it's an opinion based on both facts and my own judgment. Since 2003, the SEC has gone 18-10 in bowl games (best among conferences with more than 10 games), 6-1 against the Big XII in those games.

Where my own opinion comes into play is when I say that this is the best year for the SEC since that '03 season and the second-worst for the Big XII in that same time frame.

And don't get me wrong, this is all subjective. There's a lot of external factors that go into this, but it's a good basis.

For example, I don't honestly think that Florida was 30 points better than Ohio State last year. Likewise, I still think that '03 OU was the best college football team I've ever seen (even better than '01 Miami, '95 Nebraska, and '99 FSU), but they played those last two games of the year extremely flat.

On the flip side, the SEC typically sends teams on the lower rungs of their totem pole to play other conferences' big boys (i.e. Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, etc. where the SEC #3 plays the Big XII #2, SEC #4 plays the ACC #3, etc.) due to the fact that the SEC has more bowl tie-ins than any other conference.

There are trade-offs everywhere there, and you have to look at everything on an individual basis to get a better grasp of what's actually going on, but all in all, the SEC has more than held it's own against not only the Big XII, but every other conference in the nation. Over that time, no single conference owns a winning record against the SEC, but the SEC has only sent two teams ('03 LSU and '06 Florida) to the National Championship.

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
You're right. Definitely my opinion, but it's an opinion based on both facts and my own judgment. Since 2003, the SEC has gone 18-10 in bowl games (best among conferences with more than 10 games), 6-1 against the Big XII in those games.

Where my own opinion comes into play is when I say that this is the best year for the SEC since that '03 season and the second-worst for the Big XII in that same time frame.

And don't get me wrong, this is all subjective. There's a lot of external factors that go into this, but it's a good basis.

For example, I don't honestly think that Florida was 30 points better than Ohio State last year. Likewise, I still think that '03 OU was the best college football team I've ever seen (even better than '01 Miami, '95 Nebraska, and '99 FSU), but they played those last two games of the year extremely flat.

On the flip side, the SEC typically sends teams on the lower rungs of their totem pole to play other conferences' big boys (i.e. Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, etc. where the SEC #3 plays the Big XII #2, SEC #4 plays the ACC #3, etc.) due to the fact that the SEC has more bowl tie-ins than any other conference.

There are trade-offs everywhere there, and you have to look at everything on an individual basis to get a better grasp of what's actually going on, but all in all, the SEC has more than held it's own against not only the Big XII, but every other conference in the nation. Over that time, no single conference owns a winning record against the SEC, but the SEC has only sent two teams ('03 LSU and '06 Florida) to the National Championship.

I understand exactly what you are saying, and to clarify I am not saying that the Big 12 is better than the SEC. However, I do think that they are in the same league as them. And it is all subjective. This argument is entirely opinion. I just dont buy into the idea that the Big 12 is drastically inferior to the SEC. I do agree that this season could be the largest margin in recent years though, but still think the Big 12 would hold its ground.

mrescape43
12-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
is coming true...

#2 West Virginia lost to Pittsburgh and #1 Missouri is down by 14 to OU. NCAA football playoffs anyone?

BCS = pile of cow manure!

rockdale80
12-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
BCS = pile of cow manure!

HAHAHA....nice.