PDA

View Full Version : High Expectations Lead to Disappointments

kepdawg
12-01-2007, 05:16 AM
I am not sure why but I have come away disappointed from most of the 3A games I have seen this year.

Tonight's game between WOS and LV was just the latest example. I had not seen either play prior to tonight and expected that it should be a fairly close game from the little I had read. Neither team was particularly impressive to me. WOS does indeed have a solid defense, but the offense is so bad it will have its own post later. I suppose LV has a good defense, but I just couldn't really tell because of WOS' inept offense. The Parr brothers look to be nice players, but nothing extraordinary.

Jasper and Navasota showed signs of exceptional talent. Unfortunately for both of them, neither has a defense!

Royse City disappointed when I saw them.

Although the record does not reflect it, Frisco Wakeland regressed from last year in my opinion. I don't know how that is possible with everyone back.

Giddings and Caldwell did not live up to the hype when I saw them either. Fitz, Dock, and X are all nice players. I wouldn't be upset if they were on my team, but once again nothing extraordinary.

I am not going to make it to the Gilmer/Roosevelt game, but I suspect possibly those two teams would live up to the hype.

Maybe I have simply bought into message board hype too much. I don't know. I seem to keep coming away from games disappointed!

eagles_victory
12-01-2007, 05:18 AM
Chris Parr is a great player WOS just did a great job on him tonight

Matthew328
12-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I am not sure why but I have come away disappointed from most of the 3A games I have seen this year.

Tonight's game between WOS and LV was just the latest example. I had not seen either play prior to tonight and expected that it should be a fairly close game from the little I had read. Neither team was particularly impressive to me. WOS does indeed have a solid defense, but the offense is so bad it will have its own post later. I suppose LV has a good defense, but I just couldn't really tell because of WOS' inept offense. The Parr brothers look to be nice players, but nothing extraordinary.

Jasper and Navasota showed signs of exceptional talent. Unfortunately for both of them, neither has a defense!

Although the record does not reflect it, Frisco Wakeland regressed from last year in my opinion. I don't know how that is possible with everyone back.

Giddings and Caldwell did not live up to the hype when I saw them either. Fitz, Dock, and X are all nice players. I wouldn't be upset if they were on my team, but once again nothing extraordinary.

I am not going to make it to the Gilmer/Roosevelt game, but I suspect possibly those two teams would live up to the hype.

Maybe I have simply bought into message board hype too much. I don't know. I seem to keep coming away from games disappointed!

The message board hype is amazing, I personally don't buy into anyone anymore and then I don't come away disappointed!! We are dealing with kids and that I think has to play into it....Kep just ignore the hype and then you'll be good

griff
12-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg

kepdawg, I'm with you on this. I haven't seen all of the teams play that you have, but I did see some of the teams you mentioned. Overall, this seems to be a down year in 3A football. The best teams from the last two or three years could have beaten the best teams from this season. IMO.

BILLYFRED0000
12-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by griff
kepdawg, I'm with you on this. I haven't seen all of the teams play that you have, but I did see some of the teams you mentioned. Overall, this seems to be a down year in 3A football. The best teams from the last two or three years could have beaten the best teams from this season. IMO.

I have to agree in general. It just looks to be a down year for most teams. I think we look pretty solid and have a real shot if we can cut down on our mistakes. But I don't think anyone including us is playing great at this time. I was impressed with some of the athletes I have seen. Wright in Pittsburg is the real deal. I have not seen LH yet but they look to be playing as well as last year. Gilmer is the reall deal and Velt may be. Injuries may be playing a small part but I really don't know.

themsu97
12-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I will say this... I think some of the people here do way over exaggerate but we also have some, remember here some, posters who are very young and do not understand alot of things... we also have some older posters who do not understand some of the things that go into a game... but with that being said, coaches jobs still depend on 16-18 boys, and that is a different thing altogether.... kids are just different on a day to day basis, never sure which kid is going to show up from day to day,
you should never say you are disappointed in what you see at a game

Ranger Mom
12-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Don't set your standards high and you will never be disappointed!!:p :D :D

injuredinmelee
12-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

wouldnt that be a terrible way to live life.

rundoe
12-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Set your Goals High and reach them by Hard Work and determination!!

espn1
12-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Well you won't be disappointed in Liberty Hill this year. Anybody that beats them will have to have a hell of a team. Putting 672 yds on a playoff team this late in the season is impressive. Liberty Hill is the most disciplined team on both sides of the ball that I've ever seen. Vance is an incredible coach and it absolutely shows. It will take a really good passing attack to beat them. The secondary is their weakest link. But you'll have to strike quick and early. Keeping Lh's offense off the field is the key and no one's been able to do it yet. It will very hard for any team that comes up against them for the first time to beat them.

setxsports
12-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Chris Parr is a great player WOS just did a great job on him tonight They did a very good job on the La Vega RB's until the 4th Quarter. This WOS team is young, good news is they have just about all their whole team back!!

LH Panther Mom
12-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by griff
The best teams from the last two or three years could have beaten the best teams from this season. IMO.
I think our team this year would beat our team last year, if there was a way for them to play.

Sweetwater Red
12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
The message board hype is amazing, I personally don't buy into anyone anymore and then I don't come away disappointed!! We are dealing with kids and that I think has to play into it....Kep just ignore the hype and then you'll be good

I don't believe the hype on this board. I agree that these are
HS kids. Inconsistancy is going to be a part of it.

For about the last four or five years Sweetwater had been
loaded at the skill positions. We had a handful of players that
could score from anywhere on the field. Some games we looked
straight out unstoppable. The following week we would eek by
a team that had much less talent and depth.

Just don't expect every game to be one for the ages. They just
don't come around that often.

Ranger Mom
12-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
wouldnt that be a terrible way to live life.

LOL!! Probably so..all the people that I have come across that didn't have ANY standards don't seem to have much of a life either!!

Gobbla2001
12-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I think our team this year would beat our team last year, if there was a way for them to play.

hell, I think our army this year would beat our army 100 years ago... the weapons have evolved too much... same thing with LH... I just hate y'all...

LH Panther Mom
12-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I just hate y'all...
:weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :crying:

Gobbla2001
12-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :crying:

in a nice way? :D

LH Panther Mom
12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
in a nice way? :D
Okay....I can live with that. :D

DDBooger
12-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Don't set your standards high and you will never be disappointed!!:p :D :D isn't that vince vauhn's motto in Dodgeball? lmao

1st and goal
12-01-2007, 01:12 PM

I would exchange "standards" with "expectations" and then I agree.

Kep, I think you are watching Dallas Cowboys on Thursday and then watching 3A on Friday....:thinking:

pirate4state
12-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
you should never say you are disappointed in what you see at a game

why not?

BobcatBenny
12-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
why not?
I think there are times to say you are dissapointed.

1. When a game just goes bad. I think most of us know what I am talking about. We have probably all been there. The game is usually lop sided and the losing team just disolves into thuggery or the winning team turns into vicious bullies. Its a violent sport, but those games disappoint me. I am not excluding Celina from this, but I do think Celina's coaches to an extremely good job of making sure this does not happen.

2. When I see a team of poorly coached kids. Which may go back to point #1. Now I know there are all sorts of experience levels when it comes to coaches, but it disappoints me to see a bunch of kids floundering around on the field because they are just poorly coached. I'm not saying I could do better, if I could I would, but I am at least smart enough to keep from becoming a poor coach

3. Seeing BobcatBenny in person. A very big disappointment. All mouth. Very little guts. Mostly just a coward hiding in a Bobcat costume. . . . . sniff . . . . I think I need a hug! :crying:

eagles_victory
12-01-2007, 02:41 PM
You have to consider what you are saying here. Its quite possible that maybe defense is better around the state this year. I had a completly different take on the LV WOS game last night then you did. Granted you have seen more teams this year then me and may be a little more knowledgable because of that. So I defintely repsect your opinion. But I just thought it was a case last night of WOS having a great defense that shut down a pretty strong Lavega offense. Wos had some great athletes that LV was able to hold in check with a strong defense. I just thought this was a matter of two great football teams shutting the others strengths down and both having to gut it out and give it their all. I wasnt disappointed at all thought it was a great game but I guess thats just my opinion.

Hupernikomen
12-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Two people of equal strength arm wrestling will make each other "appear" not exceptional. Two teams of similar skills in football make the other not "play a good game". Usually the difference in these kind of games happen when their top players make a great play or two to sway the game in their favor. Other than that they beat up on each other either offensively or defensively. Sometimes it is a shoot out and sometimes it is a defensive struggle all night. I think we all get spoiled watching teams with a phenom or two who can completely take a team on their shoulders and win a game..to me that is what is so impressive about teams like SLC, Katy and LH that are so well coached and play solid football at every position on the field versus teams like Lufkin, Northshore and others that have D-I talent in just about every spot on the field.

Put I do agree that the teams this year don't appear as strong as they have the last few years.