PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley Refuses to pay Robinhood tax

gold_33
11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
This is a really big story in Wimberley right now. We do not have enough money to support our own school district yet we still have to pay out money. I really think its a dumb law and if we are in debt already why should we pay out money.

Wimberley ISD could layoff teachers in battle with TEA

05:53 PM CST on Friday, November 30, 2007

By JESSICA VESS
KVUE News

The Wimberley school district warns it could be forced to layoff teachers. WISD is struggling to find a way to pay nearly $2.3 million to the Texas Education Association (TEA).

Since a state law passed in 1993 wealthier districts across Texas were forced to share tax money with poorer districts.

"It was something passed by the state legislature to equalize funding,” said Debbie Ratcliffe of the TEA.

Four years ago the Wimberley district hit that wealth level. Since then, the TEA says the district has made its payments, but over the past year Wimberley has gone up in value, and that means the district now owes more money -- money the district says it doesn't have.

"In our budget process this summer we realized very quickly that we will be bankrupt in two years and so I actually made the first call to TEA and asked them, could they help us; could we have a waiver," said Liz Tuttle, Wimberley school board trustee.

Tuttle says the district is about $600,000 short.

Yet, in Wimberley the money isn't actually tangible. That's because the wealth margin is based on the recent increases in property values. School district officials say that's money they don't actually have so they may have to cut their budget in other places.

"The bottom line is in order for us to balance our budget, we're going to have to cut teachers. We have cut our budget to the bare bones," said Dwain York, WISD Superintendent.

Wimberley homeowners say it’s not fair.

"I feel like it should be kept in the Wimberley area, I feel like it shouldn't be sent elsewhere," said Steve Henry, Wimberley homeowner,

"I think the district has cut everything down as far as they possibly can and even more to the point the teachers buy a lot of things out of their pocket and they don't even get pay raises. It's really sad, and the children are suffering because of it,” said Adelle Turpen, homeowner in Wimberley.

If the money isn't paid, the district could be shut down and the students would be sent to neighboring districts. Wimberley is in talks with the TEA to find a solution and prevent that from happening. The district has until February 15th to make the payment and may work out an installment payment plan with the TEA. It has already sent the TEA paperwork detailing a potential payment plan.

Link (http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/113007kvuewimberleytax-bm.5520595a.html)

Gobbla2001
11-30-2007, 07:50 PM
go get a donation from Ray Wylie Hubbard...

JasperDog94
11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
"The bottom line is in order for us to balance our budget, we're going to have to cut teachers. We have cut our budget to the bare bones," said Dwain York, WISD Superintendent. Yeah, heaven forbid that any administrators get fired or have to take a pay cut.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DrBob
11-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

How much money will the school make off their playoff run? Or does Cuero need to come to Wimberly to play?

DrBob
11-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DrBob
How much money will the school make off their playoff run? Or does Cuero need to come to Wimberly to play?

That is a big shortfall. Hope they come up with something besides laying teachers off

rockdale80
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by DrBob
That is a big shortfall. Hope they come up with something besides laying teachers off

I have seen "rich" school districts not be able to provide adequate space for growth, while "poor" school districts start building new sports facilities instead of using the money to benefit the students. Seems like the education of the students takes a back burner to sports in some school districts that benefit from the Robin Hood tax. :confused:

Highschoolfan78
11-30-2007, 08:34 PM

he sings "Snake Farm" right?

Gobbla2001
11-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
he sings "Snake Farm" right?

fo sho, and lives in the hills of the Wimberley area...

Highschoolfan78
11-30-2007, 08:44 PM
fo sho, and lives in the hills of the Wimberley area...

ahhhhh great stuff... Best chorus ever..

Snake Farm – it just sounds nasty
Snake Farm – well it pretty much is
Snake Farm – it's a reptile house
Snake Farm – Uuuggghhhhh......

scrub c
11-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I have seen "rich" school districts not be able to provide adequate space for growth, while "poor" school districts start building new sports facilities instead of using the money to benefit the students. Seems like the education of the students takes a back burner to sports in some school districts that benefit from the Robin Hood tax. :confused:

Oh yeah, like who?

And while you are at it, explain to me why the rich school districts dont pass big bonds more often to improve facilities and increase their debt, thus reducing the amount of $$$ they have to send off.

Sweeny is another school district that hurts year after year because of robin hood. (little bity hick town only has like one gas station and a grocery store BUT they have a phillips refinery--CHA-CHING $$$$)

Mid80'sTarpon
11-30-2007, 10:23 PM
PI knows exactly how you feel, seeing neighbooring school districts live it up with free money from the state, while we suffer and have to pass bonds to fix and expand the school district. Good luck Wimberly, hope it works out.

GreenMonster
12-01-2007, 12:33 AM
I thought that the Supreme Court ruled the Robinhood Plan un-Constitutional and that is why the State Legislature was forced to revamp the system in the not so distant past. Is there any other posters out there that remember something of this nature going down right before the State re-worked the school tax thing?

LH OffseasonVet
12-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I thought that the Supreme Court ruled the Robinhood Plan un-Constitutional and that is why the State Legislature was forced to revamp the system in the not so distant past. Is there any other posters out there that remember something of this nature going down right before the State re-worked the school tax thing?

I was thinking along the same lines, but can't remember the specifics.

baseballmom
12-01-2007, 08:26 AM
What are you crying about. We do everything to try to stay up with schools like yours.

TAMUGRAD
12-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
Oh yeah, like who?

Sweeny is another school district that hurts year after year because of robin hood. (little bity hick town only has like one gas station and a grocery store BUT they have a phillips refinery--CHA-CHING $$$$)

Another example:
Nursery, TX (on Hwy. 87 - 10 miles from Victoria and 20 miles from Cuero)

Here in Nursery we have a tiny post office, a convenience store and a school out in the pasture with grades K - 5 (enrollment is usually just under 100 students). Students in grades 6-12 either go to Victoria (one of the largest 5A schools in Texas with lots of problems) or Cuero (rural 3A school with lots to offer its students). Nursery ISD is contracted with Cuero. This means that Cuero provides transportation to their school. If you choose to send your child to Victoria you are on your own for transportation. For the most part kids that go to school at Nursery Elementary go on to Cuero.

The main school building in Nursery is a wood siding building that was constructed in 1912. My mother went to school there when multiple grades were taught in one room by one teacher. Take a drive down some of the roads in our community and you will not see many upscale houses. But down the road on the Guadalupe River there is an electric plant, STEC, South Texas Electric Coop., thus we are a rich school district and send the overage (in TEA's eyes) to TEA. What the Robin Hood plan does not take into consideration is that our tax dollars for our students from 6 -12 are sent to Cuero. TEA gets their part first not after we send the other district their money for educating our students.

So who benefits from the taxes generated in our district? Not our K-5 kids and teachers.

Aesculus gilmus
12-01-2007, 10:24 AM
The Robin Hood litigation started about 30 years ago. It went on for years and years.

Originally, the state district judge in Austin hearing the case was obviously trying to order the Texas Legislature to enact an income tax. His name was Harley Clark, IIRC.

That failed. More litigation followed. The Supreme Court of Texas ruled the system unconstitutional as it was not "efficient." Then another district judge in Austin named Scott McCown began lobbying as best he could, within the constraints of the judicial conduct code, for an income tax to be enacted.

Of course, none of what the esteemed judges desired ever came to pass. Meanwhile, over the past 30 years, millions of "Yankees" and other kinds of "ees" have moved here, many of whom would cite as their primary reason that they wanted to live in a state with no income tax.