PDA

View Full Version : Tim Cassidy returns as Texas A&M recruiting coordinator

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/120107dnspoaggieslede.540c3021.html

This is big for A&M getting him back IMO

g$$
11-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/120107dnspoaggieslede.540c3021.html

This is big for A&M getting him back IMO

Not a surprise. I said getting him back from NEB would happen.

You're right, this is big. Cassidy & Sherman go all the way back to the 1980s together. Man is a smooth operator, very good at what he does. I used to work with him daily giving him reports on players & their standing in the classroom, etc. Good guy & very polished. Knows every coach out there.

1st move of many to come! Would love to see Bob Davie return too. He & Sherm go back to 1981 at Pitt together & of course at A&M too.

big daddy russ
11-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Big hire for the Ags.

rancher
11-30-2007, 02:29 PM
My good source tells me to look for the following to happen next. Kevin Sumlin from OU will be the Offensive Coord. and Either Johnny Holland or Mike Hoke from the Houston Texans will be the Defensive Coord. Mike Hoke was the def. coord at Florida and has a great record. Johnny Holland everyone knows his great rep. in college and the pros.

g$$
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by rancher
My good source tells me to look for the following to happen next. Kevin Sumlin from OU will be the Offensive Coord. and Either Johnny Holland or Mike Hoke from the Houston Texans will be the Defensive Coord. Mike Hoke was the def. coord at Florida and has a great record. Johnny Holland everyone knows his great rep. in college and the pros.

There is a question on if Johnny Holland has his degree (by rule you must have it). And it is Jon Hoke, current DBs coach for Houston Texans & former DC under Spurrier. He turned Spurrier down at South Carolina 3 years ago. His son (Kyle Hoke) is a senior at Clements HS too & being recruited by some schools too. Unsure about leaving as of now, but that could change if we are paying top $$, which we are of course.

Sumlin would be great - liked him before when he took over for Dino Babers. Love to have him back as he is now at OU as Passing Game Coordinator.

GreenMonster
11-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$

1st move of many to come! Would love to see Bob Davie return too. He & Sherm go back to 1981 at Pitt together & of course at A&M too.

I thought Davie was the right fit for the job when they gave it to Frantastic. I can't think of anyone that would do a better job restoring the Wrecking Crew to their previous glory. The Aggies haven't recruited nearly as well since Davie left for South Bend as they did before he left. I like that A&M is trying to bring back the men that made them successful in the 80's and early 90's.

g$$
11-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I thought Davie was the right fit for the job when they gave it to Frantastic. I can't think of anyone that would do a better job restoring the Wrecking Crew to their previous glory. The Aggies haven't recruited nearly as well since Davie left for South Bend as they did before he left. I like that A&M is trying to bring back the men that made them successful in the 80's and early 90's.

Me too - but only to a point. I want fresh ideas & new guys too. Mix the old guard in with the new guard, pro & college guys. I like Davie a lot, & just maybe he returns to this staff in hopes it can lead to another HC job for him in a couple of years.

Here's a story about Davie: when I worked there in Football Ops, he called one day from Notre Dame to talk to Zerick Rollins & some other old friends. Rollins played DL at A&M & now coaches with the Seahawks. Davie was saying how he wanted to run the 3-4 attacking defense - you know Wrecking Crew style - & he just did not have the athletes needed to run it. He was frustrated with the talent level & restrictions on recruiting there. See, ND changed everything & that is why Holtz left too. His problems continued for the most part & he ended up losing his job later. It was almost foreshadowing on his part looking back at it.

No doubt though, the man can coach & recruit. Tim Cassidy coming back is huge & can help with the transition esp. while Sherman finishes the year in Houston. Exciting times for the Aggies.

Macarthur
11-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Hoke would be a giant hire for DC.