PDA

View Full Version : Astros close to deal with Kaz Matsui...

g$$
11-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Reported by multiple sources, including www.astros.com.

3 yrs. around $15 million overall

I am mixed on deal. Is he really much of an upgrade over Chris Burke? Maybe slightly, but if you look at his #s, last year he was Craig Biggio (2007 version that is) away from Coors Field. I have soured some on Burke, but not that high on Matsui either. Matsui does get on base, is very good defensively, & has good speed.

I only like it IF they have a deal worked out for pitching (like say Chris Burke & Luke Scott for a starting pitcher).

Ed Wade is doing some good things & upgrading the roster top to bottom. Bullpen is better & has acquired some speed (Bourn, etc.). Trying to reload the minor leagues too. But I sure hope he gets some starting pitching soon. Like a proven #2 starter behind Roy Oswalt. Then you can fill in the gaps from there (Backe, Patton, Albers, Nieve, Williams, Wandy, etc.).

themsu97
11-30-2007, 12:18 PM
I would be willing to bet that is what the Astros are posturing to do here, Luke Scott has value to alot of teams out there... Burke is a good throw in since he is a good utility player... would not be surprised to see the Astros trade for a good #2 pitcher now

big daddy russ
11-30-2007, 12:18 PM
As far as what I know about Troy Patton (that he'll wind up being a solid #2 starter), I'm still completely comfortable giving up Patton, Scott, and another minor league throw-in for Scott Kazmir.

Like I said, I don't know a lot about Patton's potential, but Kazmir's already ace material, already has two full years in the majors, and he's roughly the same age (he's 23). It's doubful that Scott will ever get a full-time gig in the Astros' outfield but can stroke the ball, so he's a great piece to use as trade bait.

g$$
11-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
As far as what I know about Troy Patton (that he'll wind up being a solid #2 starter), I'm still completely comfortable giving up Patton, Scott, and another minor league throw-in for Scott Kazmir.

Like I said, I don't know a lot about Patton's potential, but Kazmir's already ace material, already has two full years in the majors, and he's roughly the same age (he's 23). It's doubful that Scott will ever get a full-time gig in the Astros' outfield but can stroke the ball, so he's a great piece to use as trade bait.

Troy Patton has a chance to be a stud - you should have watched him at Tomball & on the Houston Heat too! That Heat team had guys like Patton, Scott Kazmir, Joe Savery, Koby Clemens, Kyle Drabek, Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey, Jordan Dodson, Danny Lehman, & others. Needless to say, they won the national title that summer against teams from the US, Canada, & Latin countries.

I believe in Patton, but he is not a #2 right now. More like a #4-5 as he gets his feet wet. Not sure if Tampa Bay would deal with Astros (Hunsicker connection), but maybe. Kazmir would be great if the deal is fair.

big daddy russ
11-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Troy Patton has a chance to be a stud - you should have watched him at Tomball & on the Houston Heat too! That Heat team had guys like Patton, Scott Kazmir, Joe Savery, Kyle Drabek, Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey, Jordan Dodson, Danny Lehman, & others. Needless to say, they won the national title that summer against teams from the US, Canada, & Latin countries.

I believe in Patton, but he is not a #2 right now. More like a #4-5 as he gets his feet wet. Not sure if Tampa Bay would deal with Astros (Hunsicker connection), but maybe. Kazmir would be great if the deal is fair.
Did Hunsicker do them wrong?

g$$
11-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Did Hunsicker do them wrong?

Gerry Hunsicker does not like Drayton. That is why he left, got tired of Drayton's meddling ways. Last year we dealt Wheeler to them for Ty Wigginton. Just saying we might get the worst end of that deal. Gerry is a very smart baseball man. But he is not the GM - just a consultant anyway at Tampa Bay.

Panther One
11-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Pitching is at a premium right now. You're not going to get a #2 starter for cheap. For a team to give up a #2, they're going to want a guy like Pence in return, and that's not going to happen. I see the Astros dealing Burke and Scott for relief pitchers, back-end rotation guys, or prospects to help rebuild the minor league system.

I think Cooper is going to like managing the team that Wade is putting together. If Bourn pans out, we'll have a couple of pretty good table setters at the top of the lineup who can create runs with their speed. Plus, we'll be better defensively than we were last year. So far, the projected lineup will look something like...

Bourn CF (L)
Matsui 2B (S)
Pence RF (R)
Berkman 1B (S)
Lee LF (R)
Wigginton 3B (R)
Towles C (R)
Everett SS (R)
Pitcher

big daddy russ
11-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Gerry Hunsicker does not like Drayton. That is why he left, got tired of Drayton's meddling ways. Last year we dealt Wheeler to them for Ty Wigginton. Just saying we might get the worst end of that deal. Gerry is a very smart baseball man. But he is not the GM - just a consultant anyway at Tampa Bay.
Gotcha. Didn't know Hunsicker was in Tampa now.

Still, even after hearing what you had to say about Patton's potential, I'm completely on board with giving up Patton, Scott, and a mid-level prospect for Kazmir. You're basically trading someone who'll never get PT anyways and deserves a shot and trading one pitcher for what sounds like a much better pitcher.

I'm usually not a fan of raping your minor leagues to acquire major league talent, and if Patton just blossoms later and Kazmir is already starting to peak, I may wind up kicking myself in the butt, but from what I see right now I'd pull the trigger on a deal like that in a heartbeat. Who knows, maybe we could bring back Patton in free agency later on and try to keep most of the Astros' lineup local boys. That'd be fun.

g$$
11-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Pitching is at a premium right now. You're not going to get a #2 starter for cheap. For a team to give up a #2, they're going to want a guy like Pence in return, and that's not going to happen. I see the Astros dealing Burke and Scott for relief pitchers, back-end rotation guys, or prospects to help rebuild the minor league system.

I think Cooper is going to like managing the team that Wade is putting together. If Bourn pans out, we'll have a couple of pretty good table setters at the top of the lineup who can create runs with their speed. Plus, we'll be better defensively than we were last year. So far, the projected lineup will look something like...

Bourn CF (L)
Matsui 2B (S)
Pence RF (R)
Berkman 1B (S)
Lee LF (R)
Wigginton 3B (R)
Towles C (R)
Everett SS (R)
Pitcher

Absolutely, pitching market is thin & we need it. Bullpen has pretty much been shored up - except closer (Qualls?). Added middle guys like Brocail, Geary, Villareal, etc. Need starting pitching. Pence is untouchable as are Oswalt, Berkman, & Lee.

That is the projected line-up. Pence may hit 5th though, but I like him in top 3 because of OB %. Plus he will see more pitches to hit in front of Berkman & Lee. #3 hitter though should be your best overall hitter (avg., power, OPS, etc.). We'll see what Coop decides to do. Agreed on defense, upgrading it was a priority. Pitching, speed, & defense are paramount & will be the focus of Ed Wade & Tal Smith.

g$$
11-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Gotcha. Didn't know Hunsicker was in Tampa now.

Still, even after hearing what you had to say about Patton's potential, I'm completely on board with giving up Patton, Scott, and a mid-level prospect for Kazmir. You're basically trading someone who'll never get PT anyways and deserves a shot and trading one pitcher for what sounds like a much better pitcher.

I'm usually not a fan of raping your minor leagues to acquire major league talent, and if Patton just blossoms later and Kazmir is already starting to peak, I may wind up kicking myself in the butt, but from what I see right now I'd pull the trigger on a deal like that in a heartbeat. Who knows, maybe we could bring back Patton in free agency later on and try to keep most of the Astros' lineup local boys. That'd be fun.

I would do it too for Scott Kazmir. Going to depend on if Tampa Bay thinks they can re-sign Kazmir when contract ends (doubtful). Local boys can be fun (Clemens, Pettitte, Backe) & it can also backfire too (Swindell, Drabek at tail end of careers). I just want to win!

big daddy russ
11-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I would do it too for Scott Kazmir. Going to depend on if Tampa Bay thinks they can re-sign Kazmir when contract ends (doubtful). Local boys can be fun (Clemens, Pettitte, Backe) & it can also backfire too (Swindell, Drabek at tail end of careers). I just want to win!
Yeah, but these local boys (Patton, Backe, Kazmir, Albers, Towles, Lee, Pence and Berkman... the last three are each local boys in their own way) are guys who can win.

g$$
11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, but these local boys (Patton, Backe, Kazmir, Albers, Towles, Lee, Pence and Berkman... the last three are each local boys in their own way) are guys who can win.

All Texans & many from Houston Area - & Lee has a ranch in Boling (near Wharton). Sweet place if you are ever out that way. High $$ cattle he raises for breeding purposes.