PDA

View Full Version : Class 3A Third-Round Breakdowns

Gobbler Fan
11-30-2007, 09:04 AM
11/30/2007

By Travis Stewart/TexasFootball.com

Division I

REGION I FINALS PICK:

* Andrews (10-2) vs. Abilene Wylie (10-2): It's hard to predict what to expect out of Andrews. The Mustangs dropped out of our Top 25 poll in the last week of the season, then crushed Levelland in the first round, then escaped what could've been a loss against Fort Stockton. Andrews had a little Jekyll-and-Hyde play from its quarterback, Eric Kelton, who paired two interceptions with a passing and a recieving touchdown, but that won't get it done against Wylie. The Bulldogs have completely recovered from their season-threatening 1-2 start, and haven't really been challenged yet in the playoffs. With five players having rushed for over 200 yards and a defense that has troubled teams all year long, expect Wylie to win this game 35-14.

REGION II FINALS PICK:

* Roosevelt (11-1) vs. Gilmer (12-0): So here's a matchup featuring two teams that both fizzled out in the first round of last year's playoffs, and even though we've passed that event horizon this season, it's likely both these teams still have more they want to prove. Both are Top 25 teams, but Gilmer is going to be favored in most media outlets, if only for RB Justin Johnson. JJ had a monster game against Mabank last week (245-3 TDs), but even that performance is dwarfed by Roosevelt QB Vincent McNeil's in round one (6 TDs passing). If Gilmer's pass defense is as shaky this week as it was last week, than a Mustang victory is in the mix. Barnburner alert! Roosevelt 42, Gilmer 35.

REGION III FINALS PICK:

* Liberty Hill (11-0) vs. Navasota (9-3): The defending Division II state champs haven't even broken a sweat yet. The Panthers have been just dismantling people so far, outscoring their season opponents by a collective 503-163. I mean, that kind of differential is usually evidence enough, but Hill's ridiculous rushing tandem of Doug Allman and Dustin Gonzales have combined for a staggering 3,147 rushing yards and 52 (52!) touchdowns, which is hard to even comprehend. Clearly, Navasota's defense has a monumental task ahead of it, but the offense is going to have to carry some weight too in order to keep pace, and Rattlers' RB Dextrer Pratt will likely be the mule. Pratt has nine touchdowns in the last two games ... he might need that many this weekend to keep Navasota alive. We like Liberty Hill, 42-28.

REGION IV FINALS PICK:

* Pleasanton (10-2) vs. Gonzales (10-2): Pleasanton clearly has a little more experience in this matchup -- the Eagles brought back 18 starters from last year's quarterfinals squad, whereas Gonzales' 2006 playoff run ended early to Ingleside (a loss it avenged two weeks ago.) One of those Pleasanton returners is QB Niko Salinas, who has built quite the dual-threat reputation over the past two years and who has played well to this point in the playoffs. For Gonzales, this game could be bittersweet -- they saw a quarterback last week who could both run and throw (obviously sweet), but he had 100+ yards in both categories (that would be the bitter part). For Pleasanton, its all sweet: a 21-10 victory.

Division II EA Subscribers: click here for two more spreads for every matchup

REGION I SEMIFINALS PICKS:

* Snyder (10-2) vs. Argyle (10-2): Argyle and Snyder have taken very different paths through the postseason thus far, Argyle having allowed only 8 points (while scoring only 38) and Snyder having scored 95 (while allowing 26). So who is better here -- the Eagles' upstart defense or the Tigers' offense? It would seem like the early edge has to go to Snyder, who brought back nine offensive starters from last year's playoff team, including RB Will Clay, who was simply sensational last week against Monahans (225-3 TDs). Clay's record-setting season (2,419-34 TDs) is very impressive, but Eagles QB J.J. Harp, one of the best around, also looked good last week against Graham. In the end, I'll take a suddenly surging defense - Argyle knocks off Snyder, 42-28.

REGION II SEMIFINALS PICKS:

* Celina (12-0) vs. Pittsburg (8-4): Well, you can't help but wonder how much Celina is fueling its 2007 playoff run off of pure wrath over last year's championship game loss. The Bobcats have obliterated two (albeit average) teams en route to the quarters, and have just completely smashed every opponent in front of them since the season's opening kickoff. QB Seth Davis and RB Charley Waldrep have been running this perennial powerhouse all year long, and as intriguing as it would be for Pittsburg to pull a massive upset here, don't hold your breath. Celina walks away with this one, 42-10.
* Glen Rose (9-3) vs. Pleasant Grove (10-2): Neither of these teams blew anyones' socks off in the last round, but both showed some grit by staving off late rallies from the opposition: Grove held off Chapel Hill while Glen Rose's defense saved the day against Prosper. Each team has experienced players to rely on, but I like the offensive nucleus of the Hawks, who has been productively balanced thus far. Glen Rose could certainly rise up and steal this one from Grove, but I say the Hawks are the better squad. PG 28, GR 17.

REGION III SEMIFINALS PICKS:

* La Vega (12-0) vs. West Orange Stark (11-1): Well, regardless of how good Vega either is or isn't, the biggest thing here is that WOS just knocked off Giddings last week - that's right, the Giddings that's been the favorite for the state championship since day one. Giddings may not have had its starting QB, but the Buffaloes were still a trophy win for WOS. RB DePaulrick Garrett was terrific for the Mustangs last week, but La Vega is every bit as good as anyone else in the playoffs. With the targets now squarely on WOS' backs, expect undefeated Vega to aim well: La Vega 28, WOS 21.
* China Spring (11-1) vs. Kirbyville (11-1): Both these teams were impressive last week: China Spring held Westwood to just seven points only a week after they scored 65, and Kirbyville had a sharp offensive performance despite sloppy conditions. Kirbyville QB Aaron Hazlewood didn't have the best looking completion percentage, but did throw for three touchdowns. I really like what China Spring's defense did last week, but I think this is Kirbyville's game to lose, and they won't. Kirbyville 35, China Spring 24.

REGION IV SEMIFINALS PICKS:

* Wimberley (6-6) vs. Cuero (10-2): Wimberley looks like another one of those teams that got tired of losing in the regular season. The Texans were 4-6 coming into the playoffs and promptly destroyed their first two opponents by a combined 101-13. Those kind of teams are very, very dangerous, but Cuero looked awfully sharp in dispatching both Mathis and Port Isabel. The Gobblers, a traditional powerhouse, have the best player (Quincey Whittington), and in this case, that's the tie-breaker. We go Gobblers, 42-35.
* Llano (8-4) vs. Palacio (9-3): Neither of these two are Top 25 teams in our end of the season poll, but one of them already has the head of a top-10 team under its belt: Palacios, which upended Rio Hondo last week. On the other hand, Llano handled a sub-.500 Luling team in round one, but then dispatched a solid Devine team a week later (40-6). Palacios comes in with the better resume, the biggest X-factor (RB Henry Solis), and our prediction: Palacios 28, Llano 21.

Texasfootball2
11-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Nice work gobbler:D

Snyder_TigerFan
11-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Vernon is going to whip Seminole so bad that they didn't have to include it.:)

BillyChapel
11-30-2007, 09:47 AM
LLano is 9-3 also. resume? who in the world have they beat but an overhyped valley team. We'll see.

Daddy D 11
11-30-2007, 09:49 AM
hows the slot T coming together out there in Llano billychapel?

its good to see Lh, Caldwell and Llano all have success with the offense :clap: :devil:

BillyChapel
11-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Things are good. It is a good offense. Nice to see something besides spread having success. Good luck to Liberty Hill.

Daddy D 11
11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
you too, put it to the Apaches:devil:

hopefully it will create some more buzz for next year when we could be playing for a district title again.

BillyChapel
11-30-2007, 10:16 AM
possible. We have the Sharks.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
I was looking forward to reading the Vernon - Seminole write up -- after reading all the others ahead of where we should have been and then nothing? I hope that Snyder_TigerFan is right!!!!

Anyway, great write ups and analysis.

rooster
11-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Great write up. Have to disagree with the Pleasanton and LaVega picks. Has seen Gonzales play and they are good in all three phases of the game. They will have more speed than the Eagles and present matchup problems. Have seen tape on both LaVega and WOS. Both great teams, but WOS will win unless they are flat after their big win last week.

GreenMachine
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Gonzales will dispatch of Pleasanton rather easily and the Sharks are on a roll and will cruise past Llano.;)

Who-dun-it!!?
11-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Nice work G-Fan!!

Panther One
11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm not so sure about Palacious cruising past Llano. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yellowjackets win this one.