PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M Bowl Projections

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-29-2007, 10:54 AM
At the moment, and with information that was given to me, we are going to be playing in the Alamo Bowl on December 29th at 7:00 PM. There is a chance that we will play in the Insight Bowl in Arizona on the 31st if USC loses their next game, but I don't see that happening. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Also note, if we play in the Alamo Bowl, we will either face Penn State or Michigan, and if we play in the Insight Bowl, we will face USC.

Bull19
11-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Also note, if we play in the Alamo Bowl, we will either face Penn State or Michigan, and if we play in the Insight Bowl, we will face USC.

DONT TAKE THIS PERSONALLY BUT IF A&M PLAYS USC IT COULD GET BAD

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Bull19

No, I don't. I know what USC is capable of when they are at their best, but I also know what we're capable of if we play our best. I think we have a great team if we show up to play, but we haven't 6 times this season, and you could definitely tell.

big daddy russ
11-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
You know, I've been saying all year that A&M's problem was never it's talent. It all depends on which aggies team shows up to play. USC's playing as well as anyone right now, but if the Ags show up and play loose like they did against UT, the Trojans WILL have a tough go of things.

Now every one of those teams will be favored against A&M, and rightfully so. We'll just have to see if the Ags go into their shell like they do in most nationally-televised games.

ronwx5x
11-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You know, I've been saying all year that A&M's problem was never it's talent. It all depends on which aggies team shows up to play. USC's playing as well as anyone right now, but if the Ags show up and play loose like they did against UT, the Trojans WILL have a tough go of things.

Now every one of those teams will be favored against A&M, and rightfully so. We'll just have to see if the Ags go into their shell like they do in most nationally-televised games.

In your opinion, what makes the Ags "go into their shell"? Would you say coaching or lack thereof? I ask because you seem knowledgable.

Phil C
11-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
No, I don't. I know what USC is capable of when they are at their best, but I also know what we're capable of if we play our best. I think we have a great team if we show up to play, but we haven't 6 times this season, and you could definitely tell.

BBDE I would really love to see an A&M vs Penn State match. I don't think they have ever played a game before.

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
A&M has a pending agreement with the Alamo Bowl to play in their game. However, this agreement is contingent upon the Big 12 landing 2 teams in the BCS...which is very likely as the Fiesta Bowl has indicated it wants to take Kansas as it's at-large team.

If the Big 12 only has 1 team in the BCS, then A&M would fall to likely fall to the Insight Bowl. They can't play USC there though as the Insight only has contracts with the Big 12 and Big 10.

However, there is a scenario in which A&M could play USC...albeit an unlikely one. Here is what would have to happen:

- USC loses to UCLA, Oregon beats Oregon State
- Oregon holds the tiebreaker for #2 over USC and would play in the Holiday Bowl. The #3 Pac-10 team plays in the Sun Bowl and that would be USC.

Then here is what has to happen in the Big 12 Bowl selection:

- OU/Mizzou and Kansas goes to BCS Games
- OU/Mizzou goes to Cotton Bowl
- Texas goes to Holiday Bowl
- Gator Bowl DOES NOT select Texas Tech
- Texas Tech goes to Alamo Bowl
- Texas A&M goes to Sun Bowl (The Sun Bowl can only select a Big 12 team if the Gator Bowl does not. Otherwise, they would take a Big East team as a replacement.
- Oklahoma State goes to Insight Bowl
- Colorado goes to Independence Bowl
- Big 12 has no team eligible to play in Texas Bowl

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
BBDE I would really love to see an A&M vs Penn State match. I don't think they have ever played a game before.

I agree. Maybe we could both go down to this game Phil! :)

Mace Griffin
11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
If Im an Aggie im loving a shot at Penn St. or Michigan in the Alamo Bowl. Both are winnable games esp vs Penn St. Getting a good win in a bowl game will be great for the program. No offence to the Aggies but USC would just be too much for them at this point in time. But USC would be too much for my team UT right now as well so by no means take that as a bash. Im just pretty high on USC right now after they beat ASU. A win in the Alamo would still be great though

big daddy russ
11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
In your opinion, what makes the Ags "go into their shell"? Would you say coaching or lack thereof? I ask because you seem knowledgable.
If you watch the Texas game, then watch the Miami game, you'll see two completely different teams. Not because the talent level, but because of the plays that are called from the outset.

In the Miami game, A&M stuck with that option attack that never works against fast teams and never got any momentum. They kept going back to that same option attack and Miami kept shutting it down. Never took downfield shots until they got behind, and Miami was playing to the pass by then. Some cover 2, just a bunch of different things to keep A&M from getting started in the passing game. The Ags never could get any momentum through the air and Fran kept going back to that dang option attack.

In the UT game, Koenig (notice I said Koenig) immediately went to a five-wide set and opened up the offense. McGee took more downfield shots and it added another dimension to that offense. They were also more willing to line up in the I and use Jorvorskie the way he was supposed to be used, then throw the option in there to mix it up a little.

The UT game wasn't "option, option, pass, option, option, option, I, option, pass," it was "pass, option, I, option, pass, I." As you know, momentum's often the difference in a game when two teams are pretty evenly-matched. When one team can build momentum or force the other team into doing one thing, it rarely works out well for that team. That's what we see in these nationally-televised games.

The first game I can remember thinking, "Wow, why doesn't A&M do something else?" was that Thursday night game against Utah a few years back when Alex Smith led the Utes to an undefeated season. Ever since then, I've noticed that the playcalling gets more conservative in the big games. Fran's basically playing not to lose instead of playing to win, and that's trickled down to his QB's. McGee's just as scared to turn the ball over because (at least it seems to me... ask BBDE if I'm right) he wants to keep his defense off the field and "give his team the best chance at winning." That playcalling worked against UT last year because of the fact that A&M kept that UT offense off the field and also because of blind luck. But in reality, it's killing them.

The spread option shouldn't be the base set for this team. They should run the I more often, cram that 500-lb. bowling ball down the middle of the defense, use Goodson in more of a north-south capacity (he'll really start lighting it up then), and let McGee do what he should've been recruited to do-- pass the ball. And don't be afraid to mix it up and go back to the shotgun. Between your backfield and your TE, you have some great hands, and maybe that's why McGee checked down so much, but he shouldn't be afraid to put his defense back on the field. He should have more confidence in his receivers' abilities and in his own abilities and soften up the DB's so that Jorvorskie can get back there and crunch a few of those linebackers and safeties (I've heard Michael Griffin's the new spokesman for Aleve).

Basically, take your shots and play to win instead of playing to keep the game close. Get out of your comfort zone early in the game, keep going back to it, and make it work. They have the talent to do it.

This is just my opinion, though. Fran gets paid $2 million more than I've ever received to coach the game and knows a lot more about it than I do. There might be something in the film, the personnel, or elsewhere that I just don't see or don't understand, so take all this with a huge grain of salt.

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Two guys I've never heard of on ESPN's web site have these
projections.

Both have Michigan playing Oklahama St. in the Alamo Bowl.

One has A&M playing Indiana in the Insight Bowl. The other has
A&M playing Kentucky in the Independence Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bowlprojections13

Phil C
11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I agree. Maybe we could both go down to this game Phil! :)

Maybe so Ad. It would be great!

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Two guys I've never heard of on ESPN's web site have these
projections.

Both have Michigan playing Oklahama St. in the Alamo Bowl.

One has A&M playing Indiana in the Insight Bowl. The other has
A&M playing Kentucky in the Independence Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bowlprojections13

Ignore the ESPN (and other site) predictions. These guys aren't looking at the bowl selection process and tiebreak rules. I've been seeing many people putting Tech in the Alamo and Insight but that's just wrong. While the Alamo is possible...Tech won't go to the Insight because it holds the tiebreaker over A&M. Additionally, both the Gator and Alamo have said they will take Texas Tech if they're available.

country
11-29-2007, 12:13 PM
A&M Played Penn State in the '99 Alamo Bowl. We were properly introduced to LaVar Arrington and Courtney Brown that night as they waxed our behinds something like 21 or 24 to 0, zero, nada. That was also the game where we were down like 14 or 17 to 0 with about 4 minutes left to play and good old RC decided to punt the ball. I think I threw a beer can from the nose bleeds all the way to the field ;)

Anyway, everything I've read or heard has us going to the Alamo IF the Big XII gets two teams into the BCS bowls. We'll see how it all plays out. I, for one, don't want any part of USC.

BobcatBenny
11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Out of respect for BBDE, I refuse to hijack this thread. :(

CheerMom
11-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, if it's the Alamo Bowl we might have to make a little trip to watch. Good luck.:D

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by country
I, for one, don't want any part of USC.

...or Michigan buddy!:mad:

:D

country
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Actually, if it's Michigan, that means we're playing in the Alamo at which point it wouldn't matter to me. I would go to the game and get blitzed out of my mind on the riverwalk before kickoff and then wouldn't have any idea how we did in the game until the next day. If it's USC, then I won't be at the game and actually watch it on tv and suffer through the agony of the blowout.:)

buff4life
11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
A&M has a pending agreement with the Alamo Bowl to play in their game. However, this agreement is contingent upon the Big 12 landing 2 teams in the BCS...which is very likely as the Fiesta Bowl has indicated it wants to take Kansas as it's at-large team.

If the Big 12 only has 1 team in the BCS, then A&M would fall to likely fall to the Insight Bowl. They can't play USC there though as the Insight only has contracts with the Big 12 and Big 10.

However, there is a scenario in which A&M could play USC...albeit an unlikely one. Here is what would have to happen:

- USC loses to UCLA, Oregon beats Oregon State
- Oregon holds the tiebreaker for #2 over USC and would play in the Holiday Bowl. The #3 Pac-10 team plays in the Sun Bowl and that would be USC.

Then here is what has to happen in the Big 12 Bowl selection:

- OU/Mizzou and Kansas goes to BCS Games
- OU/Mizzou goes to Cotton Bowl
- Texas goes to Holiday Bowl
- Gator Bowl DOES NOT select Texas Tech
- Texas Tech goes to Alamo Bowl
- Texas A&M goes to Sun Bowl (The Sun Bowl can only select a Big 12 team if the Gator Bowl does not. Otherwise, they would take a Big East team as a replacement.
- Oklahoma State goes to Insight Bowl
- Colorado goes to Independence Bowl
- Big 12 has no team eligible to play in Texas Bowl

USF already accepted a bid to play in the Sun Bowl...

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
USF already accepted a bid to play in the Sun Bowl...

Oops...forgot about that. Ok then TEXAS A&M WILL NOT PLAY USC!!!!!!!!

buff4life
11-29-2007, 12:27 PM
haha lol...

BobcatBenny
11-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Ok, its too much for me to handle . . . sorry BBDE. :(

I would love to see A&M get beat by the Horns in the Sun Bowl.

How funny would that be? . . . freaking hilarious in my book! :D

buff4ever
11-29-2007, 12:54 PM
A&M has played penn st by the way. I was there and can't remember if it was the sugar bowl in new orleans after the big 12 championship or if it was one of the alamo bowls we played in with michigan and someone? But I know we played against penn st, they had harrington at line backer still.

GATAPride77
11-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Played them at Happy Valley in 79 and won, played them at Kyle Field the next year and lost. Also as mentioned the Alamo Bowl disaster.