PDA

View Full Version : Michael Wilbons comments on Sean Taylors death

bigron15
11-29-2007, 01:59 AM
im not going to pull up the whole quote but he said that he was deeply sorry that it happened but he wasnt "hardly suprised"

any thoughts?

Gobbla2001
11-29-2007, 02:06 AM
"Hardly suprised" seems like a pretty 'cold' statement.... but with his past, I can see where Wilbons is going...

I think that most people who were close to Taylor are right, the man was turning his life around... but his past probably caught up with him... it wasn't like he was some ruffian thug or anything, he just made the wrong people mad... knowing his past and how some people probably "hated" him you cannot be suprised... this is the '00's in America... I could be shot any second now becuase of something someone doesn't like about me...

bigron15
11-29-2007, 02:16 AM
but still Wilbon should have kept that part to himself imo

eagles_victory
11-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
"Hardly suprised" seems like a pretty 'cold' statement.... but with his past, I can see where Wilbons is going...

I think that most people who were close to Taylor are right, the man was turning his life around... but his past probably caught up with him... it wasn't like he was some ruffian thug or anything, he just made the wrong people mad... knowing his past and how some people probably "hated" him you cannot be suprised... this is the '00's in America... I could be shot any second now becuase of something someone doesn't like about me... well said a few years ago De La Salles star player who was going to Oregon got shot because he made a guy look bad on the basketball court.

bigron15
11-29-2007, 02:37 AM
does anyone see how sick these comments are? this family is mourning the loss of their 24 year old son and a guy from ESPN says that he is not suprised. i reallly dont like Wilbon in the first place. his comments were inapropriate

SNYDER325TIGERS
11-29-2007, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by bigron15
does anyone see how sick these comments are? this family is mourning the loss of their 24 year old son and a guy from ESPN says that he is not suprised. i reallly dont like Wilbon in the first place. his comments were inapropriate

Yeah I agree...thats rediculus for that idiot saying that he isn't suprised:mad: :mad:

GreenMonster
11-29-2007, 12:11 PM
does anyone see how sick these comments are? this family is mourning the loss of their 24 year old son and a guy from ESPN says that he is not suprised. i reallly dont like Wilbon in the first place. his comments were inapropriate I disagree with you. Although you may feel like it is harsh and inapropriate it really isn't. Wilbon is just trying to bring to light a glaring problem in our society. Statistics show that 99% of all black men that are shot in this country are shot by other black men. This time it happened to a celebrity. Not just any celebrity but a celebrity that was in the middle of turning his life around and trying to remove himself from his past and all the wrong he had done as well as all the people he had done wrong with. This is a great opportunity for Wilbon and other minority media types to point out this problem because they are more likely to gather support from conservative white America for their cause. (Read that as elected government) It is much easier to use this young man's death to champion their efforts than it was for Tupak or Notorious BIG because those guys made no bones about their participation in ganglife or their willingness to continue to glorify ganglife. Guns and gangs have forced their way into inner city life for our country's youth. These youths are being forced in and they are being held captive by the gangs and not allowed out. If they try to get out they are killed or nearly killed. Government has turned a blind eye to the problem mainly because it hasn't effected any of them. This is an opportunity because of Taylor's visibility in Washington and his story is a good one.

bigron15
11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
what if it was your son and u heard this on espn? some guy that you dont even know is telling america that he wasnt suprised by his death. i am feeling for his family

3afan
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
maybe Wilbon knows more than "us" ........

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
maybe Wilbon knows more than "us" ........

Like maybe Taylor's childhood friend?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3132378

Texasfootball2
11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
These statements do come only after some of Taylor's closest friends have come out and said that this was no accident, and that Taylor was fearful for his safety and his families safety. That's why he was in Miami to begin with, even though he was advised to leave and take his family with him. Micheal is a classy media guy and it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of days.

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
what if it was your son and u heard this on espn? some guy that you dont even know is telling america that he wasnt suprised by his death. i am feeling for his family

Actually...Wilbon is a longtime columnist for the Washington Post and knew Taylor better than many would assume. His ESPN gig only came on in the past few years.

Here is the article being referenced. I suggest reading it and actually knowing what Wilbon said before making blind accusations. Just a thought...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702680.html

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
These statements do come only after some of Taylor's closest friends have come out and said that this was no accident, and that Taylor was fearful for his safety and his families safety. That's why he was in Miami to begin with, even though he was advised to leave and take his family with him. Micheal is a classy media guy and it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of days.

I actually like Wilbon. I don't think he's proned to putting his
foot in his mouth like numerous others.

themsu97
11-29-2007, 12:55 PM
simple solution... people die in America everyday b/c of this and that is all Wilbon is saying... Wilbon shoots straight...

simple solution, don't hang out with bad element, do not do bad things...

remember when Brakley took heat for saying that he was not a role model, maybe not, but they are in the public eye, if you do not want to be, do not be an athlete, do something else

bigron15
11-29-2007, 12:56 PM
the police say it was a burglary anyways. not a homicide. wilbon has already defended his statements. yesterday on the 6 pm sportscenter he defended his statement and said that he is not backing down from them.

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 12:59 PM
the police say it was a burglary anyways. not a homicide. wilbon has already defended his statements. yesterday on the 6 pm sportscenter he defended his statement and said that he is not backing down from them.

They're NOW saying it's a burglary because they can't find a suspect. They were initially ruling it as a homicide two days ago.

3afan
11-29-2007, 01:03 PM
if Taylor was killed while someone was committing a burglary, isnt that homicide?

bigron15
11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
if Taylor was killed while someone was committing a burglary, isnt that homicide?

what is the difference between murder and homicide?

GreenMonster
11-29-2007, 01:06 PM
BigRon, what grade are you in?

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 01:08 PM
what is the difference between murder and homicide?

murder is premeditated killing

homicide is one human being killing another human being exclusive of intent

bigron15
11-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
murder is premeditated killing

homicide is one human being killing another human being exclusive of intent

do you know that Taylor was murdered? do you know that he wasnt just a victim of a burglary gone wrong? it seems suspicious with the cut phone lines but i am giving him the benifit of the doubt. and i am not making blind accusations. i watch PTI everyday and i saw where he said that he said he was hardly suprised. I was watching ESPN yesterday when he was defending his comments. i am well informed on this topic. i have been following it since it happened.

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2007, 01:50 PM
do you know that Taylor was murdered? do you know that he wasnt just a victim of a burglary gone wrong? it seems suspicious with the cut phone lines but i am giving him the benifit of the doubt. and i am not making blind accusations. i watch PTI everyday and i saw where he said that he said he was hardly suprised. I was watching ESPN yesterday when he was defending his comments. i am well informed on this topic. i have been following it since it happened.

It's better to use more than one source when following
a current event. It allows for different perspectives.

GreenMonster
11-29-2007, 01:56 PM
do you know that Taylor was murdered? do you know that he wasnt just a victim of a burglary gone wrong? it seems suspicious with the cut phone lines but i am giving him the benifit of the doubt. and i am not making blind accusations. i watch PTI everyday and i saw where he said that he said he was hardly suprised. I was watching ESPN yesterday when he was defending his comments. i am well informed on this topic. i have been following it since it happened. Taylor's friends from around the league are starting to come forward and state that they believe he was targeted and murdered. He had been repeatedly threatened and his close friends had tried to get him to leave Miami. Part of his reason for being home in the first place was that he was fearful for his family. The original report said he was shot in the groin area and later that changed to the leg. This is now once again starting to come back out that he was indeed shot directly in the groin area by two gunshots as if this area was specifically targeted. The same friends from around the league that are starting to speak up are saying that the location of the gunshot wounds are meant to make a statement of some kind. I personally think we should wait before passing judgement here, but at the same time the people that are his friends are all singing to the same tune and in the end I feel Wilbon and the others will be right on target.

bigron15
11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
It's better to use more than one source when following
a current event. It allows for different perspectives.

i understand that and i have been. i was just commenting on Wilbon's comments. IMO i am a little disappointed in what he said but i just dont like the timing. a whole city is mourning and he comes out and says that. he could have atleast waited a little longer before he said that. IMO

GreenMonster
11-29-2007, 02:00 PM
i understand that and i have been. i was just commenting on Wilbon's comments. IMO i am a little disappointed in what he said but i just dont like the timing. a whole city is mourning and he comes out and says that. he could have atleast waited a little longer before he said that. IMO He is a NEWspaper collumnist, not and OLDspaper collumnist.

bigron15
11-29-2007, 02:02 PM
but like i said...the iron is still hot today. he should have written a column in his memory and then written his comments about his death

DaHop72
11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
but like i said...the iron is still hot today. he should have written a column in his memory and then written his comments about his death Sorry big C, even Stephen Arrogant Smith is saying the same things as Wilbon.

alaskacat
11-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I cant really add anything to this particular story, but it is oh so similar to many other lives.

First lets take what he was, a pro athlete.

I myself was such for 20 odd years, and it comes with a price, and yes it has the glitz, glamor, and notoriety that many young men are just not prepared for....me...been there done that.

1. You have a pocket full of money, some take care of it, join main street America and live happily ever after. Yet others, who came from an impoverished childhood, flaunt it, and refuse to break bonds formed as children, this alone can be un healthy

2.Like spoiled children, they can have anything they want, drugs, money, women, whatever it is it can be provided on a whim, or just write a check.

3. Gambling can be an issue. I was approached repeatedly, and never went along. Not going along has its price. My car was burned, my tires were slashed, and at times,life was made very tough for me, but in the long run I persevered until injuries caused my retirement.

Like any young man from an impoverished background, money is power, and the lure of tons of it can make you do things many people wouldn't do.

Now the point being, if you don't do what you were supposed to do it can cost you your life.

This is just my take on life in the fast lane.

I was a jockey for 20 years, and many of my friends from that era of my life reach deep into the sports who's who of the last 50 years, Bill Killmer, AJ Foyt, Bob Seger, to name but afew...and yes, we all have the same things in common.

If you win, you win as a team, but if you screw it up you stand alone on the stage...and as Bob says,life goes on if your lucky, and you..Turn The Page

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Have you read the actual article that Wilbon wrote??? Do you know what his job is with the Washington Post???

Answer those two questions...and THEN you might understand why he chose to write this article.

bigron15
11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
i didnt read the article. i was referring to the comments that he made on PTI. sounds like he said pretty much the same thing in his article

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 03:34 PM
i didnt read the article. i was referring to the comments that he made on PTI. sounds like he said pretty much the same thing in his article

Like I said...(find the) answer those two questions...and THEN you might understand why he chose to write this article.