PDA

View Full Version : Front runner for the U of H job?

TexanFan4Life
11-28-2007, 10:58 PM
I think it's Hawaii's Head Coach June Jones. I was listening to a live radio interview with Dave Maggert, U of Houston's AD, earlier today when he all of a sudden started talking about Hawaii's Head Coach and how 'he liked to spread it out' on the football field. Anyway, just what I gathered from the interview.

Who do you guys think is top on their list?

markp08
11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Greg Davis anyone????:clap: :clap: :D Let's start the bidding at $1...do I hear $2....no, ok...how about $1.50??? Awe..c'mon you know you want him!! :D

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
well we have a poster on the board who plays for UH so maybe he can give us some insight.

Fal44
11-29-2007, 12:10 AM
June jones sounds nice... Would he leave Hawaii? well to think about it he could, he built up Hawaii and his rep.. But is Houston the school to make his real mark?

State_In_08
11-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah, not sure if June Jones would leave Hawaii for U of H.

injuredinmelee
11-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by State_In_08
Yeah, not sure if June Jones would leave Hawaii for U of H.

no sane human would

TexanFan4Life
11-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
June jones sounds nice... Would he leave Hawaii? well to think about it he could, he built up Hawaii and his rep.. But is Houston the school to make his real mark?

That's a good question. Unless you play in a BCS Conference, you're more than likely never going to have the opportunity to play for a National Championship...which is every coach's #1 objective. Until Houston gets itself out of C-USA I, along with many others, will consider it to be a 'stepping stone' to a better job for any coach.

You can look at it from a different angle in Jones's case though. IF he took the U of Houston job it would tell people that he's perfectly content with taking a job at a non-BCS school and trying to turn them into C-USA Champions. I highly doubt he'd take the Houston job and think of it as a 'stepping stone'. He's already at one of those schools with the University of Hawaii.

At the end of the day, Hawaii's losing Colt Brennan and Houston's got a stud QB that's only going to be a Sophomore. I think he views Houston as an ultimately better situation in terms of building lasting success and takes the job. There's no doubt in my mind he'll be offered the job in the coming weeks.

Fal44
11-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
That's a good question. Unless you play in a BCS Conference, you're more than likely never going to have the opportunity to play for a National Championship...which is every coach's #1 objective. Until Houston gets itself out of C-USA I, along with many others, will consider it to be a 'stepping stone' to a better job for any coach.

You can look at it from a different angle in Jones's case though. IF he took the U of Houston job it would tell people that he's perfectly content with taking a job at a non-BCS school and trying to turn them into C-USA Champions. I highly doubt he'd take the Houston job and think of it as a 'stepping stone'. He's already at one of those schools with the University of Hawaii.

At the end of the day, Hawaii's losing Colt Brennan and Houston's got a stud QB that's only going to be a Sophomore. I think he views Houston as an ultimately better situation in terms of building lasting success and takes the job. There's no doubt in my mind he'll be offered the job in the coming weeks.

Great Points, I see houston and hawaii as the same type of schools... good talents, but will always be overlooked cause of their non-bcs standing... I say houston has more of a chance to become a major power then hawaii.. just cause of the location here in texas...

TexanFan4Life
11-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Great Points, I see houston and hawaii as the same type of schools... good talents, but will always be overlooked cause of their non-bcs standing... I say houston has more of a chance to become a major power then hawaii.. just cause of the location here in texas...

I agree with Houston having a better chance to become a power school. I used to live in Hawaii for 3 years and trust me...they have athletes on that team, but I really think they're more a product of Jones's system than anything else. Houston has a definite recruiting advantage over Hawaii, which is a big deal.

Did you know that Hawaii plays an extra game each year because of the time difference on the islands? That's crazy.

big daddy russ
11-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah, Houston definitely has a better chance than Hawaii for being a major contender due to the talent base, but one of the reasons June Jones passed up other offers in favor of Hawaii was because of the location. It would be hard for Houston to compete with that.

Fal44
11-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Hawaii has it's location, that is the only thing I see with them over U of H... I mean it's ideal location for vacation, but for a football powerhouse? I just can't see it over there... Being in Texas just makes it a little easier to gain respect, which june jones has gained with his system.

big daddy russ
11-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Hawaii has it's location, that is the only thing I see with them over U of H... I mean it's ideal location for vacation, but for a football powerhouse? I just can't see it over there... Being in Texas just makes it a little easier to gain respect, which june jones has gained with his system.
I don't know much about the facilities between the two schools, but I know the recruiting base at Houston is a lot better. They'd also probably have to pony up some money to bring him over (he's making $800k right now and they had never before paid a HC anything remotely close to the $900k Briles was making).

It's a good situation, though, with a ton of young talent and a developing fan base. It's also in a football-crazy state. I honestly don't know if Jones would leave Hawaii for a BCS gig, but if Jones were just any ole' coach I could see it working out nicely for both sides.

Another thing about Jones is he's a big softy. Is known for having a soft spot for local boys with no other way out, hard cases, and felons. As good of a coach as he is, he may be a better person.

Fal44
11-29-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't know much about the facilities between the two schools, but I know the recruiting base at Houston is a lot better. They'd also probably have to pony up some money to bring him over (he's making $800k right now and they had never before paid a HC anything remotely close to the $900k Briles was making).

It's a good situation, though, with a ton of young talent and a developing fan base. It's also in a football-crazy state. I honestly don't know if Jones would leave Hawaii for a BCS gig, but if Jones were just any ole' coach I could see it working out nicely for both sides.

Another thing about Jones is he's a big softy. Is known for having a soft spot for local boys with no other way out, hard cases, and felons. As good of a coach as he is, he may be a better person.

Bring Him to U of H! and I will attend there!

Fal44
11-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Houston does seem alot easier to recruit:

1. It's Texas
2. Big Name city
3. Talent within the area

He seems like a pretty darn good coach, I would love to see U of H.. get such a good ball coach...

eagles_victory
11-29-2007, 01:42 AM
why leave a place like Hawaii that is on a higher level then Houston as a program right now for Houston makes no sense to me

big daddy russ
11-29-2007, 01:55 AM
Houston does seem alot easier to recruit:

1. It's Texas
2. Big Name city
3. Talent within the area

He seems like a pretty darn good coach, I would love to see U of H.. get such a good ball coach...
Texas is raped by LSU, OU, UT, A&M, Tech, Okie State, Arkansas and the rest of the Big XII, but considering that more D-I recruits come out of Texas than any other state in the nation, there's plenty of talent to go around. And the Greater Houston Area is one of the biggest recruiting areas in the state.

I'll give you a few examples:

First off, a background on what the star ranking means for most scouts. Five stars means that prospect has the talent to contribute immediately, should be an All-Conference, or even All-American performer before they finish their college career, and will be a "special" player. Think Reggie Bush, Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Darren McFadden, Ryan Mallett (Michigan QB who saw spot duty for Henne as a true freshman this year), Martellus Bennett, Mike Goodson, etc. All five-star prospects by at least one scouting service.

Four stars means the player should contribute early (will usually redshirt), but should be an All-Conference player by the time it's all said and done. Think Stephen McGee, Limas Sweed, Graham Harrell, and Jamaal Charles. All four-star prospects, and Charles even contributed from day one.

Three-star means they're typically a strong player who would be a solid starter on a good- to elite-level team, but typically need a little while to adjust to the college game. Can still be a top-level performer in the right system or when used in the right situation. Think Colt McCoy (though he started young, it was more out of necessity than anything else), Chase Daniel, Jorvorskie Lane, Cedric Dockery, Danny Amendola, Ashton Youboty (former Ohio State CB), Kevin Kolb, Red Bryant, etc.

Two-star means they'll typically start for a mid-major or lower-level BCS school (Baylor, Boise State, and Houston are littered with two-stars). Usually either boom-or-bust players (athlete types) with huge risks or just solid football players who aren't the athletes some others are. Think Tommy Blake, Pat White, Steve Slaton, etc. All were two-star prospects and all landed in the perfect situation with the perfect staff with tons of patience for their skill set. Not the type of player UT or USC typically recruits as anything other than depth, but can be great players in their own rights.

As of right now, Scout.com (the scouting service I trust most) has listed 56 high school seniors as five-star prospects. That's roughly one per state. This is an above-average year for in-state talent, but nothing special because of the lack of depth at the four-star level. Seven of those 56 five-star football players play in Texas, two in Houston. Furthermore, there are 39 four-star players in state, and this is a "down year" for four-stars.

So as of right now, Scout.com is saying that 46 players in the state of Texas have the ability to become All-Conference, and possibly All-American players.

The average state gets one five-star every two years or so. The average state also only has about 10 four-stars a year. Hawaii currently has four four-stars and eight three-stars. Last year they only had two four-stars and six three-stars, and none committed to June Jones' program. In 2006, one four-star and five three-stars. Again, none committed to Jones.

So in three years, Hawaii hasn't had a five-star prospect (they actually haven't had one since 2002) and Texas still has twice as many five- and four-stars as Hawaii has four- and three-stars.

Furthermore, Texas sends an average of 350-400 kids to Division I-A programs every year. Number two, California, averages 250-275. Number three, Florida, averages 225-250. You see the trend.

So even though Houston has to compete with tons of top schools, the talent is there. I know Houston has terrible facilities right now, but if that football program keeps rolling, the facilities will continue to receive upgrades and the recruits will continue to come.

Gobbla2001
11-29-2007, 02:01 AM
you know too much, russ... just way yoo much...

btw... did you read today that Texas has been ranked the #1 football state in America this year?

eagles_victory
11-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Texas is raped by LSU, OU, UT, A&M, Tech, Okie State, Arkansas and the rest of the Big XII, but considering that more D-I recruits come out of Texas than any other state in the nation, there's plenty of talent to go around. And the Greater Houston Area is one of the biggest recruiting areas in the state.

I'll give you a few examples:

First off, a background on what the star ranking means for most scouts. Five stars means that prospect has the talent to contribute immediately, should be an All-Conference, or even All-American performer before they finish their college career, and will be a "special" player. Think Reggie Bush, Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Darren McFadden, Ryan Mallett (Michigan QB who saw spot duty for Henne as a true freshman this year), Martellus Bennett, Mike Goodson, etc. All five-star prospects by at least one scouting service.

Four stars means the player should contribute early (will usually redshirt), but should be an All-Conference player by the time it's all said and done. Think Stephen McGee, Limas Sweed, Graham Harrell, and Jamaal Charles. All four-star prospects, and Charles even contributed from day one.

Three-star means they're typically a strong player who would be a solid starter on a good- to elite-level team, but typically need a little while to adjust to the college game. Can still be a top-level performer in the right system or when used in the right situation. Think Colt McCoy (though he started young, it was more out of necessity than anything else), Chase Daniel, Jorvorskie Lane, Cedric Dockery, Danny Amendola, Ashton Youboty (former Ohio State CB), Kevin Kolb, Red Bryant, etc.

Two-star means they'll typically start for a mid-major or lower-level BCS school (Baylor, Boise State, and Houston are littered with two-stars). Usually either boom-or-bust players (athlete types) with huge risks or just solid football players who aren't the athletes some others are. Think Tommy Blake, Pat White, Steve Slaton, etc. All were two-star prospects and all landed in the perfect situation with the perfect staff with tons of patience for their skill set. Not the type of player UT or USC typically recruits as anything other than depth, but can be great players in their own rights.

As of right now, Scout.com (the scouting service I trust most) has listed 56 high school seniors as five-star prospects. That's roughly one per state. This is an above-average year for in-state talent, but nothing special because of the lack of depth at the four-star level. Seven of those 56 five-star football players play in Texas, two in Houston. Furthermore, there are 39 four-star players in state, and this is a "down year" for four-stars.

So as of right now, Scout.com is saying that 46 players in the state of Texas have the ability to become All-Conference, and possibly All-American players.

The average state gets one five-star every two years or so. The average state also only has about 10 four-stars a year. Hawaii currently has four four-stars and eight three-stars. Last year they only had two four-stars and six three-stars, and none committed to June Jones' program. In 2006, one four-star and five three-stars. Again, none committed to Jones.

So in three years, Hawaii hasn't had a five-star prospect (they actually haven't had one since 2002) and Texas still has twice as many five- and four-stars as Hawaii has four- and three-stars.

Furthermore, Texas sends an average of 350-400 kids to Division I-A programs every year. Number two, California, averages 250-275. Number three, Florida, averages 225-250. You see the trend.

So even though Houston has to compete with tons of top schools, the talent is there. I know Houston has terrible facilities right now, but if that football program keeps rolling, the facilities will continue to receive upgrades and the recruits will continue to come. well put Russ Hawaii pretty much lucked out in getting Colt Brennan from California. I know he was committed to USC but then just got in a lot of trouble and went to Hawaii because USC pulled his offer

injuredinmelee
11-29-2007, 02:44 AM
very well done Russ

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
well put Russ Hawaii pretty much lucked out in getting Colt Brennan from California. I know he was committed to USC but then just got in a lot of trouble and went to Hawaii because USC pulled his offer Same thing with their best receiver(Bess). Hell they were talking about how he sent a 7on7 type video from the jail/juvenile detention to get the attention of the hawaii coaches. Although he was orginaly committed to Oregon.

g$$
11-29-2007, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
well put Russ Hawaii pretty much lucked out in getting Colt Brennan from California. I know he was committed to USC but then just got in a lot of trouble and went to Hawaii because USC pulled his offer

Brennan went to Colorado after USC deal, then got caught up in some trouble going on there. He then transferred to Hawaii after June Jones took a chance on him. It worked out for everybody.

g$$
11-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Would Major Applewhite consider this HC job as Bama OC currently? He was at Rice last year...

michaelp23
11-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Would Major Applewhite consider this HC job as Bama OC currently? He was at Rice last year...

Major will make a great head coach someday. But he probably needs another couple of years as a coordinator.:confused: :thinking: :thinking: