PDA

View Full Version : Case Keenum wins C-USA Freshman of the Year

WylieBulldog92
11-28-2007, 09:42 PM
HOUSTON, Texas - University of Houston quarterback Case Keenum was named the Conference USA Freshman of the Year by the league's media, as the C-USA Office in Irving announced it today.

Stepping into the shoes of the departed Kevin Kolb, Keenum led the Cougars to an 8-4 record and a Co-West Division Championship with Tulsa. Under Keenum's leadership, the Houston offense generated 513.17 yards and 36.33 points per game, as Keenum was the top freshman quarterback nationally to lead a offense ranked in the Top 9.

Keenum passed for 1,924 yards and 13 touchdowns while completing 69.8 percent (164-of-235) of his passes, while rushing for an additional 414 yards and nine scores. His passing efficiency rating of 148.30 ranked 16th nationally, and he averaged 194.83 yards of total offense per game.

"This is incredible," said Keenum. "This a great testament to the team, overall. There were a lot of good guys up front blocking, catching balls, and then Quick (Anthony Alridge) who creates a lot of possibilities when he gets the ball or even when we fake to him."

Keenum was named the CollegeSportsReport.com Division I-FBS National Performer of the Week, on Sept. 25 after leading the Cougars to a 38-27 comeback win over Colorado State. Keenum entered the game at the 11:00 mark of the second quarter with the Cougars trailing 14-3 and led the Cougars on four scoring drives to overcome the largest home deficit since 2000.

Keenum completed his first 12 passes and finished the day with 197 yards and two touchdowns passing on 18-of-22 attempts. Keenum also rushed for 57 yards and scored the first two touchdowns of his career, the first on an eight-yard run to take the lead, 31-27, with 6:18 to play, and then later his one-yard sneak capped the Cougar scoring.

Keenum becomes the fourth Cougar to win the C-USA Freshman of the Year award, joining Kolb (2003), quarterback Jason McKinley (1997) and running back Ketric Sanford (1996) in this illustrious group.

Linky (http://uhcougars.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112807aaa.html)

lakers
11-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Congrats, I remember playin against him and he could flat out play. Didnt hurt to much that the linemen protectin him were HUGE!!!

gobbler grad
11-28-2007, 10:18 PM
congrats...:D keep up the good work..:)

TexanFan4Life
11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I imagine that he'll only get better once U of H gets a coach that actually likes using playbooks. :clap:

michaelp23
11-28-2007, 10:51 PM
We enjoyed watching him for three years at Wylie. We were never out of the game with him under center. The drive to win the state championship game was the stuff of legends. Could've gone farther his senior year too. The tight end dropped a pass against Gainseville in the quarter finals that was right in the bread basket on the final drive of the game that would've put us ahead. The pass came after he shook off a couple of defenders in the backfield, then chucked it 50 yards right on the spot. Not saying we should've or could've won, just that he put us in position to. By the way, that tight end was a very good one. Just missed that pass.

Anyway, hope they get a good coach there and that he has more success!!:D :clap: :clap:

Scrambler
11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Way to go Case! Now, what are the odds the C-USA Freshman of the year transfers to Baylor with his Coach Art Briles, sits out a year and does amazing things his Jr. and Sr. years as a Bear? BU only has Szymansky left.

Sadly, probably not much chance.

westcoast54
11-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
We enjoyed watching him for three years at Wylie. We were never out of the game with him under center. The drive to win the state championship game was the stuff of legends. Could've gone farther his senior year too. The tight end dropped a pass against Gainseville in the quarter finals that was right in the bread basket on the final drive of the game that would've put us ahead. The pass came after he shook off a couple of defenders in the backfield, then chucked it 50 yards right on the spot. Not saying we should've or could've won, just that he put us in position to. By the way, that tight end was a very good one. Just missed that pass.

Anyway, hope they get a good coach there and that he has more success!!:D :clap: :clap:

I'll never forget that game, I was at Gainesville then. Also remember him hurdiling our Corner on his way to the endzon that made it 24-21. It was such an incredible play we showed it at our booster club meeting the following week. He's a great QB.

football4life
11-29-2007, 12:17 AM
he pretty much ruined my senior year. congrats case.:clap:

injuredinmelee
11-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23

the personal foul on the block downfield was the killer in that game. Sure it was a bad call but reputations are hard to shake.

thewyliefan
11-29-2007, 01:28 AM
even if the tight end (matt smith) would have caught cases pass there was a flag and it would have came back. but he did play most of that game w/ a seperated shoulder i think. i remember on the sidelines him popping it back in once

thewyliefan
11-29-2007, 01:29 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/awylie112/casehurdle.jpg

bigron15
11-29-2007, 01:57 AM
one thing that he wasnt good at was golf. the coach put him on varsity and lets just say that he should stick to football

thewyliefan
11-29-2007, 02:15 AM
but he was good at baseball......i bet he coulda helped the baseball team his senior year if he hadnt of stopped 2 years before

bigron15
11-29-2007, 02:19 AM
he hurt their golf team a whole bunch. the coach put him on the district squad when he was only in golf for 2 weeks. he took the place of a kid that was 100 times better than him

SNYDER325TIGERS
11-29-2007, 02:22 AM
Congrats to him...ive got a lot of respect for this guy, after running across the field to congradulate snyder after the victory....he's a great guy. keep it up.

injuredinmelee
11-29-2007, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by bigron15
he hurt their golf team a whole bunch. the coach put him on the district squad when he was only in golf for 2 weeks. he took the place of a kid that was 100 times better than him
didnt he shoot 80 once in a tourney round after having not played? I think it was his jr year. Case is a great young man from an outstanding family. you wont meet a man more genuine and "real" than his dad.

bigron15
11-29-2007, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
didnt he shoot 80 once in a tourney round after having not played? I think it was his jr year.

i dont think so. the lowest i remember him shooting was like 86

nobogey72
11-29-2007, 06:07 AM
i dont think so. the lowest i remember him shooting was like 86

I was lucky enough to coach Case in little league. Will never forget some classic All Star matchups between him and Kendal Carrillo from Sweetwater. When Case was 11 it was a 1-0 game, when he was 12 it was also 1-0. Kendal now playing football at UT and Case at UH, it was pretty obvious that both those kids were something special even when they were yunguns.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Texasfootball2
11-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by thewyliefan

HUMMMM:thinking: Not bad for a region 1 athlete:thumbsup: LOL

lakers
11-29-2007, 10:41 AM

Wow his linemen in the pic are big. I know for a fact #59 plays football at tech because I see him on campus all the time. He still has the same hair. haha

I cant remember the other 2, heck it was prolly Wolf and Crump.:thinking:

Texasfootball2
11-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by lakers
Wow his linemen in the pic are big. I know for a fact #59 plays football at tech because I see him on campus all the time. He still has the same hair. haha

I cant remember the other 2, heck it was prolly Wolf and Crump.:thinking:

That would be Crump and Edson

BMOC
11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Scrambler
Way to go Case! Now, what are the odds the C-USA Freshman of the year transfers to Baylor with his Coach Art Briles, sits out a year and does amazing things his Jr. and Sr. years as a Bear? BU only has Szymansky left.
I was wondering the same thing.

Congratulations Keenum, goes to show that hard work does pay off.

TinyTim
11-29-2007, 11:51 AM

I know the kid well. Case did replace a kid and Cases' scores over the next two weeks cost the wylie golf team the district title and a trip to region the first time in like 25 years.

I also know Case and he has spent countless nights at my house with my sons and he used to get mad cause he never could beat my son in golf who was 4 years younger than him. Still has not beat him to this day in tournament play.

It was a bit ironic that the golf coach put case on the varsity. That move changes the golf program at Wylie and they still have not recovered from it.

As for the kid who case replaced. I don't think he has fully gotten over it either. He won countless tournaments and averaged about 75-76, but after that incident he didn't say much. He put his golf clubs down and has not played since.

The good thing about that was, that kid took up track and won the district championship in the 300 hurdles, and ran on the sprint relay and the 800 relay which also went to region.

You can't blame Case for the coaches blunder but that is the only negative situation that I have been involved in with him.
He and his family are very good friends and quality people.

michaelp23
11-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim
I know the kid well. Case did replace a kid and Cases' scores over the next two weeks cost the wylie golf team the district title and a trip to region the first time in like 25 years.

I also know Case and he has spent countless nights at my house with my sons and he used to get mad cause he never could beat my son in golf who was 4 years younger than him. Still has not beat him to this day in tournament play.

It was a bit ironic that the golf coach put case on the varsity. That move changes the golf program at Wylie and they still have not recovered from it.

As for the kid who case replaced. I don't think he has fully gotten over it either. He won countless tournaments and averaged about 75-76, but after that incident he didn't say much. He put his golf clubs down and has not played since.

The good thing about that was, that kid took up track and won the district championship in the 300 hurdles, and ran on the sprint relay and the 800 relay which also went to region.

You can't blame Case for the coaches blunder but that is the only negative situation that I have been involved in with him.
He and his family are very good friends and quality people.

Don't know why he even played golf. He had so much talent in other sports. :confused: :confused: :confused:

thewyliefan
11-29-2007, 12:56 PM
to those who were talking about the linemen in this pic, its not crump and eidson. you got eidson right (78) and i think he is playing at tarleton. britton barbee is in the back (59) and he's playing ball at tech, and luis gonzalez (76), it was gonzalez first year to play center and varsity ball really, i remember he was on the jv team w/ me my soph. year when he was a junior. wolfe and crump (playing at ACU and angelo state) graduated the year before this game.

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
HUMMMM:thinking: Not bad for a region 1 athlete:thumbsup: LOL I've told you before Aibline Wylie is the exception ;)

Texasfootball2
11-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I've told you before Aibline Wylie is the exception ;)

Hey I was wandering were you were my man:D :D What took you so long.

injuredinmelee
11-29-2007, 06:39 PM
to those who were talking about the linemen in this pic, its not crump and eidson. you got eidson right (78) and i think he is playing at tarleton. britton barbee is in the back (59) and he's playing ball at tech, and luis gonzalez (76), it was gonzalez first year to play center and varsity ball really, i remember he was on the jv team w/ me my soph. year when he was a junior. wolfe and crump (playing at ACU and angelo state) graduated the year before this game.

you are correct sir.