PDA

View Full Version : Antrel Rolle

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 07:29 PM
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Still in disbelief of his childhood friend's shooting death, Arizona Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle vowed Wednesday to make sure Sean Taylor is remembered.

He added he did not believe the killing was part of a burglary gone sour, and that Taylor had many enemies on the streets of Miami.

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he was pretty much scared every time he was down in Miami."

Rolle and Taylor, whose fathers were policemen in Homestead, Fla., started playing football together when they were 6 years old. They went on to become University of Miami teammates and NFL first-round draft picks. Both wore No. 21, Rolle for the Cardinals, Taylor for the Washington Redskins.

Rolle said he hadn't talked to Taylor in a while, and that the Redskin had withdrawn from the crowd he hung around with to build a new life with his girlfriend and young daughter.

"There was so much surrounding him," Rolle said. "Everyone was talking about him bad, so he just had to distance himself from everyone and live a life of his own. ... Within the last year, I've never seen anyone make such a dramatic change,"

Withdrawing from a bad crowd isn't easy, though, Rolle said.

"They say it was a burglary. It absolutely was not a burglary," he said. "Down South, where we're from, there were many people talking to Sean, a lot of jealousy, a lot of angry people.

"Sean, he had a large group of friends, and he no longer hung out with those friends, so you never know where this came from."

Rolle said his family rushed to the hospital to be with Taylor's family following the shooting.

"It really hasn't hit me yet," Rolle said, "the fact that I'm never going to see his face again, his ways, him performing on the field. My heart goes out to his girlfriend, his family, his little kid."

Rolle will leave immediately after Sunday's game against Cleveland on a flight to Miami, where he will attend Monday's memorial service. But Rolle wants fans to keep remembering Taylor as the player he was and the man he was becoming after some rough years.

"I'm going to keep his name alive," Rolle said. "Every time I make a play, I'm definitely going to mention him. I'm going to represent my 21 as his 21."

Rolle said he and Taylor became friends as 6-year-old teammates for the Homestead Hurricanes. Later, when they played against each other, Rolle was a running back and Taylor a linebacker.

"They'd call a sweep one way," Rolle said. "I would look at him on that side, and I would change the play myself and go the other way because I knew he would try to knock my head off."

Rolle was an All-American as a senior in 2004 and was picked eighth overall by the Cardinals. A year before, Taylor earned similar honors at Miami, then went to Washington as the fifth overall choice.

"I definitely will go out there and play and do everything I can do because I know how much he loved the game," Rolle said. "I don't think there was anyone who lived it or took it as seriously as he did. I just told myself I'm not going to let his name die. We started when we were 6 years old, and we're going to finish it together."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3132378

Maroon87
11-28-2007, 07:30 PM
I just saw that on ESPN.com. Sadly, it makes a lot of sense.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I just saw that on ESPN.com. Sadly, it makes a lot of sense.
It's a sad day when you realize that when some of these guys actually try to distance themselves from their posse, stuff like this happens. It's funny what petty jealousy does to people.

eagles_victory
11-29-2007, 01:38 AM
My question is if what Rolle says is true about being scared everytime he went to Miami why was he there. Why wouldnt he just stay in Washington. Also he had his security system off if someone had just broke in my house 8 days ago you can bet your bottom id make sure my security system was on every night. I was a huge Sean Taylor fan loved how he played the game but it seems like he made some lapses in judgement when it comes to protecting himself and doing what is best for himself

Gobbla2001
11-29-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
My question is if what Rolle says is true about being scared everytime he went to Miami why was he there. Why wouldnt he just stay in Washington. Also he had his security system off if someone had just broke in my house 8 days ago you can bet your bottom id make sure my security system was on every night. I was a huge Sean Taylor fan loved how he played the game but it seems like he made some lapses in judgement when it comes to protecting himself and doing what is best for himself

to answer the first part of your question: Home is Home... I love Texas and I wouldn't leave it because someone there didn't like me...

#2 I can't answer the question about his security system... but it seems to me the security system wouldn't have helped much...

eagles_victory
11-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
to answer the first part of your question: Home is Home... I love Texas and I wouldn't leave it because someone there didn't like me...

#2 I can't answer the question about his security system... but it seems to me the security system wouldn't have helped much... If your living in fear for your life somewhere (if that is true) why stay there you cant be happy or have fun if you always looking over your shoulder

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 01:45 AM
what's weird about the whole situation is the home phone lines. IMO this was all set up somehow.

eagles_victory
11-29-2007, 01:46 AM
i heard this morning the lines werent cut

Gobbla2001
11-29-2007, 01:53 AM
why stay there you cant be happy or have fun if you always looking over your shoulder

hey, I'll admit, that's a damn good question... I'd get away somehow myself... but you're an athlete... you have athleticism, you have fame, you have money, what are you REALLY worried about?

nothing... you have bought in to the fact that you're invinsible...

eagles_victory
11-29-2007, 01:54 AM
hey, I'll admit, that's a damn good question... I'd get away somehow myself... but you're an athlete... you have athleticism, you have fame, you have money, what are you REALLY worried about?

nothing... you have bought in to the fact that you're invinsible... yea what your saying makes a lot of sense

Gobbla2001
11-29-2007, 01:55 AM
i heard this morning the lines werent cut

I heard this afternoon (around 3:00) that they were cut... wouldn't be surprised if that was old information and they screwed up by repeating it...

eagles_victory
11-29-2007, 01:57 AM
I heard this afternoon (around 3:00) that they were cut... wouldn't be surprised if that was old information and they screwed up by repeating it... i had heard they were dead but werent cut... this was around 11 AM this morning on ESPN 2's first take it was his former lawyer who said that. But i dont see why they wouldnt be working unless they were cut

Gobbla2001
11-29-2007, 02:10 AM
i had heard they were dead but werent cut... this was around 11 AM this morning on ESPN 2's first take it was his former lawyer who said that. But i dont see why they wouldnt be working unless they were cut

good info... I was probably just hearing recycled rumors..