PDA

View Full Version : an interesting story by Jason Whitlock on Sean Taylor's death

lostaussie
11-28-2007, 07:06 PM
There's a reason I call them the Black KKK. The pain, the fear and the destruction are all the same.

Someone who loved Sean Taylor is crying right now. The life they knew has been destroyed, an 18-month-old baby lost her father, and, if you're a black man living in America, you've been reminded once again that your life is in constant jeopardy of violent death.
The Black KKK claimed another victim, a high-profile professional football player with a checkered past this time.

No, we don't know for certain the circumstances surrounding Taylor's death. I could very well be proven wrong for engaging in this sort of aggressive speculation. But it's no different than if you saw a fat man fall to the ground clutching his chest. You'd assume a heart attack, and you'd know, no matter the cause, the man needed to lose weight.

Well, when shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement, there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger. That's not some negative, unfair stereotype. It's a reality we've been living with, tolerating and rationalizing for far too long.

When the traditional, white KKK lynched, terrorized and intimidated black folks at a slower rate than its modern-day dark-skinned replacement, at least we had the good sense to be outraged and in no mood to contemplate rationalizations or be fooled by distractions.

Our new millennium strategy is to pray the Black KKK goes away or ignores us. How's that working?

About as well as the attempt to shift attention away from this uniquely African-American crisis by focusing on an alleged injustice the white media allegedly perpetrated against Sean Taylor.

Within hours of his death, there was a story circulating that members of the black press were complaining that news outlets were disrespecting Taylor's victimhood by reporting on his troubled past

No disrespect to Taylor, but he controlled the way he would be remembered by the way he lived. His immature, undisciplined behavior with his employer, his run-ins with law enforcement, which included allegedly threatening a man with a loaded gun, and the fact a vehicle he owned was once sprayed with bullets are all pertinent details when you've been murdered.

Marcellus Wiley, a former NFL player, made the radio circuit Wednesday, singing the tune that athletes are targets. That was his explanation for the murders of Taylor and Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams and the armed robberies of NBA players Antoine Walker and Eddy Curry.

Really?

Let's cut through the bull(manure) and deal with reality. Black men are targets of black men. Period. Go check the coroner's office and talk with a police detective. These bullets aren't checking W-2s.

Rather than whine about white folks' insensitivity or reserve a special place of sorrow for rich athletes, we'd be better served mustering the kind of outrage and courage it took in the 1950s and 1960s to stop the white KKK from hanging black men from trees.

But we don't want to deal with ourselves. We take great joy in prescribing medicine to cure the hate in other people's hearts. Meanwhile, our self-hatred, on full display for the world to see, remains untreated, undiagnosed and unrepentant.

Our self-hatred has been set to music and reinforced by a pervasive culture that promotes a crab-in-barrel mentality.

You're damn straight I blame hip hop for playing a role in the genocide of American black men. When your leading causes of death and dysfunction are murder, ignorance and incarceration, there's no reason to give a free pass to a culture that celebrates murder, ignorance and incarceration.

Of course there are other catalysts, but until we recapture the minds of black youth, convince them that it's not OK to "super man dat ho" and end any and every dispute by "cocking on your bitch," nothing will change.

Does a Soulja Boy want an education?

HBO did a fascinating documentary on Little Rock Central High School, the Arkansas school that required the National Guard so that nine black kids could attend in the 1950s. Fifty years later, the school is one of the nation's best in terms of funding and educational opportunities. It's 60 percent black and located in a poor black community.

Watch the documentary and ask yourself why nine poor kids in the '50s risked their lives to get a good education and a thousand poor black kids today ignore the opportunity that is served to them on a platter.

Blame drugs, blame Ronald Reagan, blame George Bush, blame it on the rain or whatever. There's only one group of people who can change the rotten, anti-education, pro-violence culture our kids have adopted. We have to do it.

According to reports, Sean Taylor had difficulty breaking free from the unsavory characters he associated with during his youth.

The "keepin' it real" mantra of hip hop is in direct defiance to evolution. There's always someone ready to tell you you're selling out if you move away from the immature and dangerous activities you used to do, you're selling out if you speak proper English, embrace education, dress like a grown man, do anything mainstream.

The Black KKK is enforcing the same crippling standards as its parent organization. It wants to keep black men in their place — uneducated, outside the mainstream and six feet deep.

In all likelihood, the Black Klan and its mentality buried Sean Taylor, and any black man or boy reading this could be next.

Maroon87
11-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Great article...:clap:

ronwx5x
11-28-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't know Jason Whitlock, but I think I would like to.

JR2004
11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
While I agree with a good chunk of what he's saying due to having seen this happen to folks I know, now wasn't the time to write this. He seems to completely leave out of this article about how much Sean Taylor had changed his life over the last year and a half since his daughter was born. The portrait portrayed of the man in that article and the man who has passed on are two completely different people.

Now wasn't the time to write an article like this and certainly it wasn't right to write it based on assumptions about who killed him and why. There's family and friends in mourning. There's an organization, coaching staff and 52 players in mourning right now. There's a fanbase in mourning over this. (I'm a Redskins fan and I'm still shocked by this as is most of the fanbase.) This article could've waited until the facts are established. It would've been better to wait and write an article about this sad and unfortunate loss of life and point fingers later. For a man who chastised Jenni Carlson for writing an article based on heresay about Bobby Reid, he just did the same thing here with this article.

His heart is in the right place with what he wrote and he called out a group of people who are among the worst society has to offer. I just wish he would've let this article wait for another day because this is a tragedy that will resonate for a long, long time.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-28-2007, 08:48 PM
A lot of good points were made, but using a man's murder to make a political statement....I'm not quite sure what to think about that one.

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
A lot of good points were made, but using a man's murder to make a political statement....I'm not quite sure what to think about that one.

Yeah I read that earlier today and thought the same thing, but he's right about alot of stuff. Sometimes it takes a man's death to create a forum to make a political statement.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Yeah I read that earlier today and thought the same thing, but he's right about alot of stuff. Sometimes it takes a man's death to create a forum to make a political statement.

This is true, sad, but true.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 08:57 PM
JR, I agree with a lot of what you said. I still think it's one of those things that needs to be said instead of justified or glorified, but I think it would've been appropriate to wait for his loved ones to finish grieving before making this point.

The dirt-digging on Taylor by most national media outlets postmortem disgusts me. It's horrible that it happened and it's a sad day when you use someone's death as an example and an emotional appeal (which is why I'm completely against those who use soldiers' deaths as an "inarguable" fact against the war in Iraq), so in that respect I'm definitely torn on this article.

One way or the other, however, someone within the black community needed to stand up. Maybe not this way, but at least his heart is in the right place.

nobogey72
11-28-2007, 09:13 PM
I am a white man married for 30 yrs to a white woman and we adopted as infants all 3 of our children who happen to be bi-racial black/anglo. We have seen first hand what black people live with every day. I agree whole-heartedly with Whitlock's article and at the same time I see the other side. I see the side of frustration that black americans feel when they are judged before they are known. I certainly don't have the answer and there hasn't been 1 day of the past 24 years that I haven't thought about it. But like many of the rest of you, I think Whitlock's timing was horrible, whether Sean Taylor was black, white or whatever.

lostaussie
11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
someone within the black community needed to stand up. Maybe not this way, but at least his heart is in the right place. that is the exact reason i put this in a thread.

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Everyone is saying the timing is horrible..I disagree..Something needs to be said, and sometimes it needs to be said at the harshest moment, while the sting of the event is fresh

To wait until time has passed, IMO dulls the message

nobogey72
11-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Everyone is saying the timing is horrible..I disagree..Something needs to be said, and sometimes it needs to be said at the harshest moment, while the sting of the event is fresh

To wait until time has passed, IMO dulls the message

I agree in theory, but would YOU (or I) be able to make your above statement if it was your child, or brother, or nephew etc? I don't think I could.

nobogey72
11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Actually, what I meant to say was do you think Jason Whitlock's timing would have been different had this been his...say cousin?

alaskacat
11-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

I think that article is far from a political statement, it is a statement of reality around this country. DC, Detroit, Chicago, Black on Black violence tops all other crimes.

Just go to Google and search for black on black crime, and it will shock you.

The statistics tell a tragic story. According to federal crime figures, homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males aged 15 to 34. They also indicate that between 1976 and 2004, 94 percent of black murder victims were killed by black offenders.

District303aPastPlayer
11-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Why is it that he is the only Black man in America that is not blaming the System, the Man, but instead saying "look within ourselves," yet, he is being criticized by those in which he targets...

loyalleopard
11-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Sorry guys, but sometimes you reap what you sow. I am saddened a young man has been killed that had supposedly changed his ways for the better.

As for the article, it hits the nail on the head. As an educator of young kids, I see this "attitude" day in and day out. What can be done? You know as well as I, that until YOU decide to change YOU ain't changing no matter what teachers, parents, aunts, uncles and others are saying.

lilballa255
11-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Jason's article had many truths to it, but where I disagree is his assertion that some how hip-hop had something to do with his death. I am tired of everyone constantly blaming hip-hop for every crime that plagues black people in America. Some of these crimes are just random incidents of violence and hip-hop does not have anything to do with them. I agree that black people should try to fix the problems within our communities, but hip-hop, more than likely, had nothing to do with the tragedy of Sean Taylor.

Ranger Mom
11-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by lilballa255
Jason's article had many truths to it, but where I disagree is his assertion that some how hip-hop had something to do with his death. I am tired of everyone constantly blaming hip-hop for every crime that plagues black people in America. Some of these crimes are just random incidents of violence and hip-hop does not have anything to do with them. I agree that black people should try to fix the problems within our communities, but hip-hop, more than likely, had nothing to do with the tragedy of Sean Taylor.

Do you think he spoke of "hip-hop" because of the vile, derogatory, hateful message a great majority of those songs portray??

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Do you think he spoke of "hip-hop" because of the vile, derogatory, hateful message a great majority of those songs portray?? I'd much rather listen to their stuff than songs about slitting wrist and killing ones self.

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2007, 04:03 PM

while it may not have a direcr connection with this event, the hip hop life style perpetuates that only violence can solve things, and that a person's status is measured by how "thuggish" they can

But your right it is not the only thing that plays a part

Texasfootball2
11-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Interesting article, as for the timing:thinking: had he wrote this article a week ago I doubt there would have been very much conversation about it. Up until ten minutes ago I had never heard of Jason Whitlock, "sorry" maybe I live a sheltered life. And until I google his name I sure didn't know that he too was african american. Because he's black I give him a pass on the timing of the article. My first impression of him is that he's very much like Charles Barkley and is very concerned about some of the trends going on within the male african american world today. I do agree with some posters that the article was both very truthful and harmful to some degree depending on who you are. It's really sad that some like this has to happen before these issues are brought up.

Ranger Mom
11-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I'd much rather listen to their stuff than songs about slitting wrist and killing ones self.

I don't think I'd want to listen to either!!:eek:

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think I'd want to listen to either!!:eek: FINE! WE'LL GO HONKY TONKIN

Texasfootball2
11-29-2007, 04:32 PM
FINE! WE'LL GO HONKY TONKIN
As long as were honky tonkin with the Blonde babe you have on your post page:thumbsup: She is:cheerl: :thumbsup: :flaming: :eek:

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
As long as were honky tonkin with the Blonde babe you have on your post page:thumbsup: She is:cheerl: :thumbsup: :flaming: :eek: ?

Texasfootball2
11-29-2007, 04:35 PM
?

You know Scarlett Johansson

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
You know Scarlett Johansson ahhh....gotcha

lakers
11-29-2007, 04:38 PM
This is the world we live in, and his statement seems very true to me.

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by lakers
This is the world we live in, and his statement seems very true to me. The sad world we live in is that we blame everyone/everything else but ourselves. :(

eagles_victory
11-29-2007, 04:52 PM
The sad world we live in is that we blame everyone/everything else but ourselves. :( why should i blame myself for sean taylors death?

Ranger Mom
11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
why should i blame myself for sean taylors death?

LOL!!! ;)

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
why should i blame myself for sean taylors death? I wasn't referring to you personally. Everytime someone dies there has to be someone to blame.

Colombine - Mason
Black on black crime - rap
and etc.

lilballa255
11-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Do you think he spoke of "hip-hop" because of the vile, derogatory, hateful message a great majority of those songs portray??

I can not speak for Mr. Whitlock, but it is possible. But for him to single out a specific group is irresponsible. Why not single out rock or country music for the problems of white people? Just writing it sounds irresponsible of me because I know that the problems of white people are not solely based on rock and country music and neither are the problems of black people based solely on rap music.

Also not every hip-hop song has derogatory and negative things, some artist make positive and political statements but they do not get air time because they don’t make money for the music industry.

lakers
11-29-2007, 05:12 PM
I can not speak for Mr. Whitlock, but it is possible. But for him to single out a specific group is irresponsible. Why not single out rock or country music for the problems of white people? Just writing it sounds irresponsible of me because I know that the problems of white people are not solely based on rock and country music and neither are the problems of black people based solely on rap music.

Also not every hip-hop song has derogatory and negative things, some artist make positive and political statements but they do not get air time because they don’t make money for the music industry.

What is wrong about Country music. All they sing about is love and drinkin beer. At least country music sings about stuff that is legal.

ronwx5x
11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by lakers
What is wrong about Country music. All they sing about is love and drinkin beer. At least country music sings about stuff that is legal.

Hold on here. You're in Lubbock. Is it legal there? Sure wasn't when I went to Tech.