PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys draft

Macarthur
11-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Since there's a thread about the Dolphins draft, let's talk about the boys.

I'm thinking the first two picks need to be CB and either RB or WR.

One mock I've seen has them going

Reggie Smith, S/C Oklahoma
then
Early Doucet, WR LSU

That would be a great first round. Personally, I think I would rather have Thomas the CB from USC, but I could live with that.

Assuming we go the DB WR route, here would be a dream draft for me:

1. Reggie Smith/Thomas
1. Early Doucet (Even though I don't like WR in the first round)
2.Hefney, S/CB Tenneessee
3. Tommy Blake, TCU
4. Aldridge, RB Houston
5. Best Interior Lineman available - C/G
6. Basically a crap shoot after this.

ronwx5x
11-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Since there's a thread about the Dolphins draft, let's talk about the boys.

I'm thinking the first two picks need to be CB and either RB or WR.

One mock I've seen has them going

Reggie Smith, S/C Oklahoma
then
Early Doucet, WR LSU

That would be a great first round. Personally, I think I would rather have Thomas the CB from USC, but I could live with that.

Assuming we go the DB WR route, here would be a dream draft for me:

1. Reggie Smith/Thomas
1. Early Doucet (Even though I don't like WR in the first round)
2.Hefney, S/CB Tenneessee
3. Tommy Blake, TCU
4. Aldridge, RB Houston
5. Best Interior Lineman available - C/G
6. Basically a crap shoot after this.
Do the Cowboys have two first round picks this year? Not being anything but curious since I don't know the answer.

Maroon87
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Do the Cowboys have two first round picks this year? Not being anything but curious since I don't know the answer.

Yes. They have Cleveland's pick from last year.

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
IMO Kenny Phillips would be a better pick at safety than Reggie Smith.

Macarthur
11-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
IMO Kenny Phillips would be a better pick at safety than Reggie Smith.

I think you're right, but most of what I have seen has him gone by the time they pick, especially since Cleveland keeps winning. :mad:

Adidas410s
11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
the way things are going...the Cowboys could very likely have two picks in the mid-late 20's. That would be a huge disappointment to them as it was widely assumed that they would have a Top 10 and a pick in the 25-30 range before the season started. Maybe we'll get lucky and Cleveland will finish 7-9. As it stands today, the Cows will have pick 30 or 31 and something around 23. :(

DU_stud04
11-28-2007, 05:45 PM
1. get rid of roy williams.
2. replace roy willaims
moooooooooooooooooo

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
the way things are going...the Cowboys could very likely have two picks in the mid-late 20's. That would be a huge disappointment to them as it was widely assumed that they would have a Top 10 and a pick in the 25-30 range before the season started. Maybe we'll get lucky and Cleveland will finish 7-9. As it stands today, the Cows will have pick 30 or 31 and something around 23. :(

yeah, the positioning is really sucking, but at least we didn't get stuck with Brady Quinn...Romo has earned the right to be the #1 guy in Dallas for at least the next couple of years, and Quinn would have just rotted on the pine...if we end up picking 23, that's exactly one position lower than we would have taken Quinn last year, and most likely we'll be able to use it on a more worthwhile player for the Cowboys roster.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
and Quinn would have just rotted on the pine...

Kinda like he's doing now?:thinking:

ESPN said that Cleveland is looking to lock up Frye for the
long term. That makes Quinn either trade bait or high priced
insurance.:thinking:

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

ESPN said that Cleveland is looking to lock up Frye for the
long term. That makes Quinn either trade bait or high priced
insurance.:thinking: its anderson they already traded Frye :doh:

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 06:04 PM

exactly...I'd rather him be someone else's problem than the Cowboys'

When did you hear ESPN talking about Frye? If they wanted him, why would they have traded him to Seattle when they had him?

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
its anderson they already traded Frye :doh:

OH!!!!

Wow...I feel stupid...I should have been able to figure that out...I thought there was some breaking news about the Browns trying to re-acquire Frye in the offseason. :doh:

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
its anderson they already traded Frye :doh:

I got the names wrong:doh: . But the story is true.:nerd:

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 06:08 PM
I got the names wrong:doh: . But the story is true.:nerd:

right on...don't let facts get in the way of a good story!!!

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 06:08 PM
The sad part is I started to look up their roster to make sure I
spelled Frye right.:doh: :doh: :doh:

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
right on...don't let facts get in the way of a good story!!!

Okay let me start over. Dallas doesn't need a QB.

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Okay let me start over. Dallas doesn't need a QB.

and after the last decade, that's music to my ears!!! :inlove: :clap: :cheerl:

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
and after the last decade, that's music to my ears!!! :inlove: :clap: :cheerl:

Right! The days of Quincy Carter seem a lifetime ago.

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Right! The days of Quincy Carter seem a lifetime ago.

along with the days of Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Chad Hutchinson, Ryan Leaf, Drew Henson, Clint Stoerner, Drew Bledsoe et al.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 06:17 PM
along with the days of Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Chad Hutchinson, Ryan Leaf, Drew Henson, Clint Stoerner, Drew Bledsoe et al.

Good God man. I'd take Joey Harrington over all of them. Well,
except for Cunningham(in his prime).

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 06:19 PM
I feel like I might have missed one or two somewhere in there...

MN95
11-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Should they keep 2 lower first round picks or package them to someone for one pick in the top of the draft?

crzyjournalist03
11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by MN95
Should they keep 2 lower first round picks or package them to someone for one pick in the top of the draft?

not to sound cliche, but it all depends on who's there come draft day....nobody would have expected Quinn to fall to 22 last year, and he was considered a top of the draft type guy...if someone you likes starts falling, stay put. If you see a guy that you just have to have and know that you have what it takes to move up and get him, do it.

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2007, 10:14 AM
not to sound cliche, but it all depends on who's there come draft day....nobody would have expected Quinn to fall to 22 last year, and he was considered a top of the draft type guy...if someone you likes starts falling, stay put. If you see a guy that you just have to have and know that you have what it takes to move up and get him, do it.

Sometimes a guy falls because of an injury. That happened to
Shaun Rodgers DT from UT. Detroit stole him in 2001 with the
30th pick.:D

Macarthur
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by MN95

I think the player and position to watch is Jenkins the CB from Ohio State. He definately will not be there when their first pick comes along. However, if he slips to the teens (I've seen his name around 10), I could see them packaging those two picks up to get him. He's a very good player at a position of need.

GreenMonster
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Okay let me start over. Dallas doesn't need a QB. Why not? It took them 5 years to get this one ready and there were 5 or 6 years between Aikman and the next legit NFL starter for the Cows. Be smart and pick one up now so you can start training him for when Romo's brain gets scrambled from too many concussions like what has been happening to all the other NFL QB's. Don't get caught with your pants down again like the post-Aikman debacle.

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Why not? It took them 5 years to get this one ready and there were 5 or 6 years between Aikman and the next legit NFL starter for the Cows. Be smart and pick one up now so you can start training him for when Romo's brain gets scrambled from too many concussions like what has been happening to all the other NFL QB's. Don't get caught with your pants down again like the post-Aikman debacle.

Well, maybe a QB back in the later rounds. Dallas' draft needs
are somewhat similar to Detroit's. They both have needs in the
secondary and the offensive line.

crzyjournalist03
11-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Why not? It took them 5 years to get this one ready and there were 5 or 6 years between Aikman and the next legit NFL starter for the Cows. Be smart and pick one up now so you can start training him for when Romo's brain gets scrambled from too many concussions like what has been happening to all the other NFL QB's. Don't get caught with your pants down again like the post-Aikman debacle.

well, part of the problem with the Aikman issue was that he retired somewhat unexpectedly due to the injuries that began to mount...that's not something you can really plan for.

If Aikman had stayed healthy, he could have retired within the last year or so, and the 'Boys would have been fine. Dallas likes former SMU QB Bartel (I believe he's still on the practice squad), but it wouldn't hurt to go for a young QB within the next couple of years. I think Brad Johnson is one of the better backups in the league right now (and one heck of a kick holder ;)), but he can't stay forever.