PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins draft needs...

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 02:06 PM
What do they need to do in order to keep from going winless for the next half decade?

Here's (http://nfldraftcountdown.com/) some good info.

Macarthur
11-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, I don't make it a habit to keep up with the Dolphins, but they have a very good RB so I dont' see them taking McFadden.

I also think Beck is going to be a good QB so I don't see them going QB. They may take the LT from Michigan or Dorsey. It's looking like Dorsey is the beast of this draft.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm all for trading down. Drop down to the 3-7 range, pick up whatever's available plus a few extra picks.

Ideally, I'd love to see us also shop Zack Thomas, Jason Taylor, Joey Porter, and Vonnie Holliday (though I don't know how much Holliday or Porter would bring... maybe future draft picks). Those guys are getting up there and we're not poised to win anytime soon. Send them someplace that could use them in exchange for picks and/or younger players.

Depending on who we give up and who we land, I still think Glenn Dorsey is our best option. I always liked building from the inside out, and starting at DL with possibly the best DT prospect since Warren Sapp isn't a bad way to start. If not, stay at home and look at local boy Calais Campbell at DE. Isn't as strong against the run as Chris Long, but is without a doubt the most athletic DL in the draft and a great fit for Cam Cameron's hybrid defense.

In the second- and third-rounds, some big receivers and elite OG's should be available. Give Beck every opportunity in the world to succeed. If we have more draft picks, also try to shore up the LB corps with a fast OLB or a big, physical ILB to complement Channing Crowder and another DL. Jasper product Red Bryant should be available into the second, maybe even third round and is big and strong enough to play NT.

It all depends on which picks we wind up with, but like I said, let's get younger and build from the inside out. Worry about DB's and depth at LB later.

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 04:25 PM
is there enough great players in this draft for people to be willing to give up a lot to move up to the number 1 spot?

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
is there enough great players in this draft for people to be willing to give up a lot to move up to the number 1 spot?
Better than last year, but only an average class by most accounts. Not considered anywhere close to as good the Vince Young/Reggie Bush/Matt Leinart/Mario Williams class. Then again, if the right juniors come out, we may be singing a different tune.

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Better than last year, but only an average class by most accounts. Not considered anywhere close to as good the Vince Young/Reggie Bush/Matt Leinart/Mario Williams class. Then again, if the right juniors come out, we may be singing a different tune. if someone really needs a running back i could see them trading up to get Mcfadden but the question would be how much would they be willing to give up. I would trade the pick before I took Long or Dorsey with the number 1 overall pick.

Macarthur
11-28-2007, 05:19 PM
if someone really needs a running back i could see them trading up to get Mcfadden but the question would be how much would they be willing to give up. I would trade the pick before I took Long or Dorsey with the number 1 overall pick.

I think I agree with that. From what I have read, Long is not as good as Joe Thomas, but better than Levi Brown so he "should" go in the low teens. From what I read about Dorsey, he may be worthy of the #1 pick. He is a beast.

As for McFadden, as a Cowboys fan, I would love to land a guy like that because that would make the boys offense absolutely rediculous.

I think it's an interesting question if there's anyone willing to move up and get him. Right now, I don't think there are many teams wanting to move up too far.

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 05:21 PM
when you need as much as the dolphins do i just dont think an OL or a DL is the answer

CelinaCatFan
11-28-2007, 08:15 PM
I have to disagree that the dolphins have no interest in adding a RB (especially if his name is McFadden). I know, the Dolphins have Ronnie Brown. But, his season ending injury may indeed turn out to be career ending.

Regardless, the best NFL teams are looking for a quality tandem at the RB position (you can never have too much depth). Look where Adrian Peterson went this year (Minnesota). The Vikings already had a 1,300 rusher in Chester Taylor and took Peterson. I think any team that passes on McFadden will regret it for a long time. He is that good!

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
I have to disagree that the dolphins have no interest in adding a RB (especially if his name is McFadden). I know, the Dolphins have Ronnie Brown. But, his season ending injury may indeed turn out to be career ending.

Regardless, the best NFL teams are looking for a quality tandem at the RB position (you can never have too much depth). Look where Adrian Peterson went this year (Minnesota). The Vikings already had a 1,300 rusher in Chester Taylor and took Peterson. I think any team that passes on McFadden will regret it for a long time. He is that good! McFadden is no where near the back Adrian Peterson was. He is not deserving of the #1 selection.

CelinaCatFan
11-28-2007, 08:29 PM
McFadden will be better. Why? Because in the end, he will have more awards, better stats, and a longer career than AP.

If Peterson could stay healthy.....it would be another story.

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 08:30 PM
McFadden will be better. Why? Because in the end, he will have more awards, better stats, and a longer career than AP.

If Peterson could stay healthy.....it would be another story. My response to you is Archie Griffin. 2 heismans and didn't ammount to much in the league.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
when you need as much as the dolphins do i just dont think an OL or a DL is the answer
I'm a huge fan of building inside out. You'd be surprised at how good the rest of your team looks when you start like that. Get a QB and WR early (which they did last year) because they typically take the longest (three years) to develop, then immediately shift your focus to shoring up the lines little by little every draft.

Interior linemen tend to have less of a demand because of their overall effect on the outcome of a game, but elite pass-rushing DE's and pass-blocking OT's are at a premium. Guards and centers are actually the least-prioritized positions on the field, with ILB's not too far behind (I know ILB isn't exactly a linemen, but you get the point that the interior of a defense and offense aren't emphasized).

So using this logic, the 'Fins could wait until the second- and third-rounds and still get an elite OG, C, or ILB. My personal opinion, one that isn't adopted by most of the GM's in the NFL, is to stock up on interior linemen here over the course of several years so you can elevate the overall talent level on the team drastically.

Those guards help out in the running game (especially with a pure north-south runner like Brown) more than most people realize and can take a lot of pressure off a young QB. Our tackles are alright, though not spectacular, and we have a halfway decent young center in Samson Satele. Our OL is close.

Regardless, the best NFL teams are looking for a quality tandem at the RB position (you can never have too much depth). Look where Adrian Peterson went this year (Minnesota). The Vikings already had a 1,300 rusher in Chester Taylor and took Peterson. I think any team that passes on McFadden will regret it for a long time. He is that good!
A lot of teams are switching to 2-RB tandems, but those are the teams who don't have a great, all-around RB. The Vikings will probably wind up letting Chester Taylor go because AD can carry the load, the Warrick Dunn teams (TB and ATL) have used two-back options because of Dunn's lack of a power game, and the same can be said for Reggie Bush in New Orleans.

Even though they have Michael Turner, you don't see teams like the Chargers doing it. The Chiefs and Seahawks (even though Alexander's on the decline) are in the same boat as well, and the Rams only took Brian Leonard because of his ability to help the team in all other aspects (pass-catching, blocking, versatility, good teammate, etc) of the game.

Basically, the 2-back teams tell me that a team is looking for a less-expensive answer because they don't have an elite back. If the Dolphins could get a decent return for Ronnie Brown and pick up McFadden, I'd be all for it. Like you said, him and Peterson are the two best RB talents to come out of college since LT (I never liked Reggie Bush), but I doubt anyone would be willing to give us what we paid for Brown and what he's worth to us (hell, he led the league in rushing before he went down) in exchange for a running back, quickly becoming the most expendable position in the pros.

zaerryd
11-28-2007, 09:03 PM
most likely a miracle...

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by zaerryd
most likely a miracle...
We could use that, too. Maybe we should trade Taylor for a bucket of Holy Water.