PDA

View Full Version : No more SPANKING!!!!

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Personally, I think this is a crazy idea. I know some people don't believe in corporal punishment...which is certainly their right. I know if I got out of line when I was younger, I got my butt busted....and so did my kids....none of us are scarred for life!!

IMO, people who beat, abuse, etc. their kids are going to continue to do so, whether "spankings" are outlawed or not!!

What I found funny was they want spanking anyone under 18 against the law....who spanks their 19 y/o??

Parents who spank their kids - even in their own homes - would be slapped by the long arm of the law under an Arlington nurse’s proposal to make Massachusetts the first state in the nation to outlaw corporal punishment.

Kathleen Wolf’s proposed legislation will be debated at a State House hearing tomorrow morning.

If signed into law, parents would be prohibited from forcefully laying a hand on any child under age 18 unless it was to wrest them from danger, lest they be charged with abuse or neglect.

Rep. Jay Kaufman, a Lexington Democrat, submitted the 61-year-old Wolf’s petition at her request, but is not taking a position for or against corporal punishment.

“He does recognize and understand the concern many would have on legislating parental rights,” said Sean Fitzgerald, Kaufman’s chief of staff, “but the problem is the boundary is often overstepped. The right to hit should never be the right to hurt.”

Charles Enloe, 45, of Plymouth, knows a little something about that. In 2005, he was infamously arrested and charged with assault with a dangerous weapon for taking a belt to his then 12-year-old son during an argument over homework.

The charges were later dropped and Enloe told the Herald yesterday the experience “didn’t change my views at all. I believe discipline starts at home. Are they going to start legislating that you can’t raise your voice to your kids? That you can’t tell them when to go to bed? We’ll be communists then.”

The state Supreme Judicial Court agreed in principle when it ruled in 1999 that parents can spank their kids provided they don’t threaten bodily injury.

Corporal punishment in the home is already illegal in Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Latvia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Sweden and the Ukraine.

In 1979, Sweden became the first country in the world to ban spanking. Anders Erickson, spokesman for the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, D.C., said in the 1960s 53 percent of Swedes backed corporal punishment of children. By the 1990s, that number was less than 10 percent.

“There are other ways and means to bring up children than to beat them,” Erickson said. “Much better ways.”

An ombudsman is available to children in Sweden to report allegations of corporal punishment. Parents face jail time if it’s found they’ve stepped out of line.
Link (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1047241)

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't think some people realize the difference between spanking and beating...

kaorder1999
11-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I don't think some people realize the difference between spanking and beating...

correct...there is a HUGE difference

pirate4state
11-28-2007, 12:58 PM
:rolleyes:

A "spanking" does not = a beating! :doh: :doh:

I was spanked as a child and learned after the 3rd time not to do it again! :D

Wussification of America continues....:dispntd: :dispntd:

Poor Little Johnny is just misunderstood

gmab

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

A "spanking" does not = a beating! :doh: :doh:

I was spanked as a child and learned after the 3rd time not to do it again! :D

Wussification of America continues....:dispntd: :dispntd:

Poor Little Johnny is just misunderstood

gmab

23001!!! Wow...

Anyway...I understand that some parents and most likely quite a few people on this board don't spank their kids, but if a parent has the right to choose an abortion, shouldn't a parent have a right to spank a child? I know that may be an entirely different can of worms that we don't want to get into, but I would think the reasoning for a parents' right to choose should be the same...

rangerjoe33
11-28-2007, 01:22 PM
but if a parent has the right to choose an abortion,

I am confused...they are not a parent if they choose abortion are they?

Anyway, law or no law, if my little one gets out of line, a butt whippin will be delivered. Heck I used to try and spank my youngest one when he was 3-4 years old because he would tell me "No!", if I tried to spat him on the butt he would try to hit back or laugh. I put a stop to that, I started spanking the bottom of his little tender feet. Is that cruel? To some people yes, but you have to get their attention somehow, and no I don't abuse my children, they get/got a spanking maybe once every two years if needed. Spankings are not as effeective as taking away the iPod, TV, Playstation....football, baseball, etc for the tweeners that are too big to spank.

garciap77
11-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Does this mean there will be no more spanking (running up the score) in the playoffs either!;) ;)

nobogey72
11-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Does this mean there will be no more spanking (running up the score) in the playoffs either!;) ;)

or on dates???? :)

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
or on dates???? :)

Read above...this rule doesn't apply to people over the age of 18!

:D ;)

garciap77
11-28-2007, 01:37 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :D

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 01:42 PM

Glad to hear that. I was afraid that I had actually been abused by pirate4state the other night.

I was sooooo baaaad! :D

garciap77
11-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Glad to hear that. I was afraid that I had actually been abused by pirate4state the other night.

I was sooooo baaaad! :D

I was wondering how long it was going to be before you got on this one! The flag picture got them going yesterday! lol:clap: :clap: :clap:

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:46 PM
flag pictures??? I must have missed those!

michaelp23
11-28-2007, 02:18 PM
It's scary. I've got my first child, a boy, due in a few weeks. In this day and age, I'll need every disciplinary tool at my disposal to raise him right. Spanking was very effective in keeping me in line. I can count on one hand the number of times I was spanked as a child. That's all it took. The idea is that they remember what it was like and just the idea of another one is enough for them to behave. And yes, there's a big difference between spanking and a beating.

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 02:18 PM
I was probably out of line and "slapped" my cousins 3 y/o hand on Thanksgiving day.

His parents sure weren't gonna punish him and he kept pulling my mom's glass knick-knacks she has off the shelves. All his mom (my cousin) and grandma (my aunt) did was continually tell him "No Tye"...which of course he didn't listen.

When he got one and pretended he was going to throw it, laughing all the while with mom and grandma still sitting on their butts watching him and continually saying, "No Tye".....I sprang into action.

I took it away from him, grabbed his hand and SLAPPED it, and told him, "You are being told "NO!"...do NOT touch it again...do you understand?"

He looked at me with huge scared eyes, shook his head and meandered off to find a nicer person.

Now...my cousin and aunt are mad at me, but I don't care.....she has the two brattiest kids of anyone I know.

To make matters worse, or better, depending on how you look at it, I informed her that was EXACTLY why her family wasn't invited to all the "family functions" we have because no one can stand to be around her kids!!!

Those 2 boys could be poster children for the wisdom of spanking!!:D :D

pirate4state
11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I was probably out of line and "slapped" my cousins 3 y/o hand on Thanksgiving day.

His parents sure weren't gonna punish him and he kept pulling my mom's glass knick-knacks she has off the shelves. All his mom (my cousin) and grandma (my aunt) did was continually tell him "No Tye"...which of course he didn't listen.

When he got one and pretended he was going to throw it, laughing all the while with mom and grandma still sitting on their butts watching him and continually saying, "No Tye".....I sprang into action.

I took it away from him, grabbed his hand and SLAPPED it, and told him, "You are being told "NO!"...do NOT touch it again...do you understand?"

He looked at me with huge scared eyes, shook his head and meandered off to find a nicer person.

Now...my cousin and aunt are mad at me, but I don't care.....she has the two brattiest kids of anyone I know.

To make matters worse, or better, depending on how you look at it, I informed her that was EXACTLY why her family wasn't invited to all the "family functions" we have because no one can stand to be around her kids!!!

Those 2 boys could be poster children for the wisdom of spanking!!:D :D

:clap: HAHAHAHAHA

I guess this would be the reason I'M not invited. I'm always yelling at my bratty cousins and their heathen children! :devil:

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 02:28 PM
:clap: HAHAHAHAHA

I guess this would be the reason I'M not invited. I'm always yelling at my bratty cousins and their heathen children! :devil:

It just drives me nuts....the "grandma" is my dad's half-sister and they just only met 4 years ago, so I didn't grow up with any of these people.

To add insult to injury, the entire "half" family moved to Midland from California, so they have THAT mentality...and they are SO LOUD!!!!

After the mom huffed outside and proceeded to tell everyone what I did...my dad snuck in the house and we secretly exchanged high fives.....I love being the favorite!!:p :p

Technoredneck
11-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Now RM,

That was not a spanking you gave, it was merely a swat on the hand. This whole thing is about "corporal punishment" and considering it is coming out of Mass. I COULD CARE LESS!

Everyone knows the difference in a spanking and a "beating"

None of us were hurt by spanking, in fact we a re all better for them, but no one is every better for a beating.

That's my nickels worth today.:)

pirate4state
11-28-2007, 02:32 PM
It just drives me nuts....the "grandma" is my dad's half-sister and they just only met 4 years ago, so I didn't grow up with any of these people.

To add insult to injury, the entire "half" family moved to Midland from California, so they have THAT mentality...and they are SO LOUD!!!!

After the mom huffed outside and proceeded to tell everyone what I did...my dad snuck in the house and we secretly exchanged high fives.....I love being the favorite!!:p :p

ROFLMAO! :D :D :D

75009Football
11-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
It's scary. I've got my first child, a boy, due in a few weeks. In this day and age, I'll need every disciplinary tool at my disposal to raise him right. Spanking was very effective in keeping me in line. I can count on one hand the number of times I was spanked as a child. That's all it took. The idea is that they remember what it was like and just the idea of another one is enough for them to behave. And yes, there's a big difference between spanking and a beating.

Congrats m23. Just remember how good it is Right Now, cause it dont get any better.

If you and your spouse are the bosses of the family and set the rules and everybody lives by those rules, it does not have to come to that often, just as you have express in you past.

Sounds like you will do just fine. You don't need a million tools, just show him you care, EVERY DAY.

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
Now RM,

That was not a spanking you gave, it was merely a swat on the hand.

I realize that...but these people don't believe in spanking,. You would have thought I burned him with a lit cigarette with the reaction I got from mom and grandma.

What's funny is...the kid didn't even cry, and when it came to time to leave, the biggest hug I got was from him....go figure!! :p :p

CHS_Grad '85
11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Ha ha... I'm the same way... my family uses me as their threat of punishment...

But I can't help it... if I see a child misbehaving and the parents are too lazy to get off their hinny and discipline them - well I'll do it... at least when I say 'no' - they turn and run in the opposite direction...

Now don't get me wrong - my daughters are spoiled... but at least when I tell them there will be consequences to their action - they believed I will follow through...

A little swat on the hinny is just an attention getter... not abuse... it worked for me when I was a kid and it works for my kids, nieces and nephews... (BTW - I'm the favorite aunt... go figure...)

Maroon87
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
I got spanked quite a bit growing up. Trust me, it worked.:eek:

rangerjoe33
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Technoredneck

None of us were hurt by spanking, in fact we a re all better for them, but no one is every better for a beating.

I think one beating (not a beat down) if deserved will make a person better. I don't mean a beating that sends you to the hospital, but one that draws a little bit of blood, (hard slap across the face, which I got once, my Mom lit me up). My MaMaw used to wear us out with the fly swatter, or her crutch if the fly swatter was not handy. You can love your kids and teach valuable lessons without creating a physically abusive person by spanking them.

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
[B You can love your kids and teach valuable lessons without creating a physically abusive person by spanking them. [/B]

So because I spanked my kids...and they got MORE than one spanking in their lives....I am a physically abusive person??

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Is that the jingle of chain and padlock I hear?

rangerjoe33
11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
So because I spanked my kids...and they got MORE than one spanking in their lives....I am a physically abusive person??

Let me state that another way...

Just because you spank your kids does not mean you are creating a physically abusive person, if you love your kids and associate/teach valuable lessons when disciplining them.

Didn't come out right the first time I guess. I agree with spanking, heck if it takes a 2x4 to teach the lesson that might save their life someday I might use one.

pirate4state
11-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Just because you spank your kids does not mean you are creating a physically abusive person, if you love your kids and associate/teach valuable lessons when disciplining them.

Didn't come out right the first time I guess. I agree with spanking, heck if it takes a 2x4 to teach the lesson that might save their life someday I might use one.

I understood what you were saying & I completely agree!

When I got my spanking my dad would always follow up with WHY the spanking was necessary and what he would hope I learned from it. If you just spank your kids and not follow up, then I can see where that could cause some damage.

Then I always got a hug AFTER the talk. :)

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 03:34 PM
RM, P4S, and LHPM you girls can still spank me :)

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Then I always got a hug AFTER the talk. :)

Awww.....me too!! That always made me cry more than the spanking did!!:p :p

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 03:37 PM

I'm sorry...after I went back and re-read it, I saw what you were saying.

The "by spanking them" could be taken two ways and I took it the opposite of what you meant!!:)

pirate4state
11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Awww.....me too!! That always made me cry more than the spanking did!!:p :p Yeah, the dreaded "talk" and "I love you" hug was always hard b/c I knew I had disappointed them. :crying:

CenTexSports
11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
It is already against the law in Texas to spank some children. My wife and I have custody of our 2 year old grandson (the state took him away from his mother). The court gave us temp custody but we had to sign that we would not spank him.

charlesrixey
11-28-2007, 04:00 PM
this has got to be the most rediculous proposal ever

Who-dun-it!!?
11-28-2007, 04:07 PM

yea, everybody knows spankin don't work! You gotta beat em to get there attention!

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
yea, everybody knows spankin don't work! You gotta beat em to get there attention!

LOL!! Spanking only worked til my kids were about 10.

The REAL punishment was grounding!!!:D :D

lakers
11-28-2007, 04:17 PM

yeah, i know from personal experience when they turn 16 the real punishment is takin the keys and cell phone away. And worst of all, makin them stay at home on the weekends.:eek:

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by lakers
yeah, i know from personal experience when they turn 16 the real punishment is takin the keys and cell phone away. And worst of all, makin them stay at home on the weekends.:eek:

I hear that.....that is the HARDEST thing to stick with too, because they, or mine anyway, made my life a living hell while they were stuck at home!!!

I was just as glad as they were when that week, or whatever, was over!!:D :D

JasperDog94
11-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, the dreaded "talk" and "I love you" hug was always hard b/c I knew I had disappointed them. :crying: After I spank my 4 year old girl and she gets over being mad, we talk about what she did or didn't do and that brings even more tears.

Now when we raise our voices to her, the first thing she asks is, "Are you mad at me?" Most kids don't want to disappoint their parents at that age. Show 'em you love 'em, but let 'em know you mean business.

pirate4state
11-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
After I spank my 4 year old girl and she gets over being mad, we talk about what she did or didn't do and that brings even more tears.

Now when we raise our voices to her, the first thing she asks is, "Are you mad at me?" Most kids don't want to disappoint their parents at that age. Show 'em you love 'em, but let 'em know you mean business.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Agreed.

nobogey72
11-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23

Michaelp Congrats on the upcoming baby boy. Be glad that for whatever reason you are smart enough to be aware of the challenges of being a parent. IT AIN'T EASY. And the part about losing sleep, changing diapers, listening to crying all night is not even the tip of the iceberg. Seems hard at the time, but doesn't compare to dealing with peer pressure, bad decisions, heartaches etc. And, you are 100% right that you will need every tool at your disposal to raise him right.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nobogey72
11-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Actually the best punishment is to lock them in their room (in the dark) and make them wath "The Exorcist" . That'll get their attention. The next time they start to act up, all you have to say is...... "Ok, you kids ready to go watch a movie?" This technique works especially well for boys that "take a called 3rd strike".

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranger Mom
11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Actually the best punishment is to lock them in their room (in the dark) and make them wath "The Exorcist" . That'll get their attention. The next time they start to act up, all you have to say is...... "Ok, you kids ready to go watch a movie?" This technique works especially well for boys that "take a called 3rd strike".

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

lostaussie
11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
on saturday, ya'll ask my boy if he's ever had his butt whipped...............then ask him if he love's his daddy:thumbsup:

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
on saturday, ya'll ask my boy if he's ever had his butt whipped...............then ask him if he love's his daddy:thumbsup:

and if he says no...ask him how long it'll be until his next whoopin'....:D :p ;)

Who-dun-it!!?
11-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by lakers

I was 27 when I got my forst cell phone.