PDA

View Full Version : Cuero's/A&M's Cody Wallace

44INAROW
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Wallace earns Big 12 Lineman of the Year honors

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER
November 28, 2007
Cody Wallace has been answering the same question from Texas A&M fans since the Aggies’ defeated Texas 38-30 last Friday.

“A lot of people have been asking why didn’t we play like that all year,” Wallace said. “It’s hard to say why. That’s just the way things work. I guess it was just a matter of us executing and doing things right.”

Wallace started every game at center and performed well enough this season to leave an impression on the Big 12 head coaches, who selected him as the Co-Offensive Lineman of the Year on the all-Big 12 Conference football team.

Wallace, a senior from Cuero, shared the honor with Missouri’s Adam Spieker and was the only Texas A&M player selected to the all-Big 12 Conference first team.

“It’s just great,” Wallace said by phone from College Station minutes after learning of the honor. “There are so many other good linemen out there. You’re excited personally but it’s still a little disappointing with the kind of season we had.”

Wallace did his part starting every game this season and helping the Aggies average 215.6 rushing yards per game, which ranked No. 13 in the nation. Texas A&M was one of a handful of teams with three running backs to rush for over 600 yards and the Aggies averaged 402.8 yards of total offense per game.

“We were just trying to play our best game each week,” Wallace said of the offensive line. “That’s what we were all trying to do so we could win that game.”

The award continued what has been an eventful week for Wallace, who also earned first-team all-Big 12 honors as a junior and received honorable mention as a sophomore. Wallace got to enjoy the Aggies’ second consecutive win over Texas over the weekend and celebrated his 23rd birthday on Monday.

“Things have been going pretty well around here,” Wallace said. “It’s been an exciting week.”
Link (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/894/story/160582.html)

**personal note** I bet he had one heck of a birthday party ;)

g$$
11-28-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressRelease.php?PRID=13670

Congrats to the former Cuero Gobbler & all the rest!

Wallace will play on Sundays too. Fine career.

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 11:56 AM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75191

Daddy D 11
11-28-2007, 11:57 AM
dangg, congrats :clap:

g$$
11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75191

Saw it too late, my bad. Please merge Mods.

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 12:08 PM
its cool great honor deserves to be posted twice

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Stryker Sulak of Rockdale got second team all-big 12 defensive linemen.

Gobbla2001
11-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Big Congrats to C-Dub... one of the funnest guys I've ever played with (or watched play from the sidelines haha)... he was a hoot... which is funny because he hardly spoke a word... but when he did have something to say, or if he made some type of expression, it was funny...

He was a soph my senior year and started at center for us... we'd do pass blocking drills after practice sometimes and me and Cody "went at it" one day... he was blocking, I was rushing... The objective of the rusher was to get to a blocking dummy three yards behind the blocker and get the football that was on top of the dummy... at that age he was 6'4 275 and when coach called the snap I knew I was in for it... I was just 5'10 and not close to the shape he was in.. I came off the line hard, fast and ready to lock up and shake him... but the next thing I know Cody's lying on his back and I just stood there, looking at him and I was shocked... I finally snapped to and ran and got the ball and Cody was on the ground giggling... our oline coach's eyes were wide open, jaw dropped, ready to send me over to the defensive line coach to tell him he found him a new weapon... Coach Stumbaugh (HC at Port Isabel now) just happened to catch the trail end of it and had a "what the hell" look on his face... then I started laughing my ass off because I knew he had flopped... I helped him up and we had to end pass-blocking drills on that note, we were all laughing too hard, coaches included, because there was not way in hell that anyone, much less ME was gunna put Cody on his rear...

the next week our HC was over there to watch the pass-blocking drills... me and Cody paired up again and when we got down in stance I said "flop again, I'm comin' at ya hard"... luckily he flopped against and our HC had the same "what the hell" look on his face... classic...

the interesting thing is that his soph year in HS was his last year to play Center until playing for the Ags...

Congrats, Cody...

crabman
11-28-2007, 08:35 PM
I noticed on the A&M website that he was also named one of the five finalists for the Rimington Trophy which goes to the outstanding center in all of college football. The boy has come a long, long way.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-28-2007, 08:39 PM
If anyone has any messages for Cody, let me know and I'll pass them along, he's sitting right beside me.

crabman
11-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Tell him Lindsay's dad said hello.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Tell him Lindsay's dad said hello.

He just got up and left. :(

If he comes back I will pass it on.

Pudlugger
11-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Gobbla 2001, a great story and a great memory. HS football provides so much to the life of those who made the sacrifice, whether on the field or on the sidelines, we have our stories and we have been among some great men.