PDA

View Full Version : Big news from Rivals' Matt Malatesta....

g$$
11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
OK, so you know I take anything from a recruiting service with a grain of salt. But Wed. morning on 1560 AM in Houston...

1. Matt Malatesta said Sam McGuffie is very soft now to Michigan & the clear leader is Texas A&M. Not a huge surprise to anyone who has followed this saga. He went on to say if Sam doesn't end up in maroon & white then probably OK State.

2. Said what we all have found out over the past few days...former Aggie All-American/NFL player & current Texans' LB coach Johnny Holland cannot be A&M's new DC because he does not have his college degree. That is a requirement by rule.

3. Word is Jon Hoke will stay in the pros too (Texans' DB coach, former DC under Spurrier at Florida) & not join Sherman's staff.

4. Interesting talk on how players are rated & ranked, the problems that arise, the unfairness of all of it, & how players rise or fall depending on where they commit. Matt was very open & honest about it. Big example was Jaquizz Rodgers of 4A Lamar Consolidated & how his size & perception have hurt him (5'6" 180 lbs.). He is about to be the all-time TDs leader ever for the state of Texas & will finish in the top 7-8 all-time in rushing yds. too. Shunned by most Texas schools, he is committed to Oregon State as of now. Rodgers would be scary in an offense like Texas Tech, but he is that good if you haven't seen him.

5. Said word is A&M will probably hold 16-19 of current 21 commits, then new staff will add to that # with guys who decommit or they get on late. He referenced some national recruits who may be interested now with coaching change & new staff. Said overall class should end up better than where we were under Fran/staff. Rivals has A&M #11 right now in recruiting nationally. That is very postive news right there for anyone worried about recruiting & more reason why the coaching change was done quickly.

(don't shoot the messenger!)

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Yeah, living out here in the Cy-Fair area, I've heard a lot about McGuffie-to-A&M come hell or high water. From what I had heard (and take this with a grain of salt... third-hand info), his dad was the one that was pushing him to Michigan (UM alum), but Sam's been a die-hard A&M fan for a long time, and after going and hanging out with some of his friends in CS, he's completely sold out.

g$$
11-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Yeah, living out here in the Cy-Fair area, I've heard a lot about McGuffie-to-A&M come hell or high water. From what I had heard (and take this with a grain of salt... third-hand info), his dad was the one that was pushing him to Michigan (UM alum), but Sam's been a die-hard A&M fan for a long time, and after going and hanging out with some of his friends in CS, he's completely sold out.

Mom is big Aggie I hear. And now with Carr gone, it looks like a change for Sam. He has continued to listen to A&M even since his early commitment & visited friends there like you said. I hope it happens...but he may end up playing DB. Kid is athletic as heck, track star, so where he plays can be determined later.

Too bad about Holland huh?

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Mom is big Aggie I hear. And now with Carr gone, it looks like a change for Sam. He has continued to listen to A&M even since his early commitment & visited friends there like you said. I hope it happens...but he may end up playing DB. Kid is athletic as heck, track star, so where he plays can be determined later.

Too bad about Holland huh?
Definitely too bad. It'd be nice to see Sherman bring back the Wrecking Crew. That D is nothing compared to what it used to be, even though Darnell wound up being a better hire than I thought.

I'd like to see it more aggressive. Hell, A&M has the DB's to do it. Those DB's perform well in man coverage, but Big XII teams pick apart that zone.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by g$$
OK, so you know I take anything from a recruiting service with a grain of salt. But Wed. morning on 1560 AM in Houston...

1. Matt Malatesta said Sam McGuffie is very soft now to Michigan & the clear leader is Texas A&M. Not a huge surprise to anyone who has followed this saga. He went on to say if Sam doesn't end up in maroon & white then probably OK State.

Why you always on here causing trouble!?:mad: :( :mad:

:thinking: :D :thinking:

g$$
11-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Definitely too bad. It'd be nice to see Sherman bring back the Wrecking Crew. That D is nothing compared to what it used to be, even though Darnell wound up being a better hire than I thought.

I'd like to see it more aggressive. Hell, A&M has the DB's to do it. Those DB's perform well in man coverage, but Big XII teams pick apart that zone.

He will employ an attacking defense. Bob Davie just may be the guy again to get back into coaching & get another HC job in 2 years if successful. I knew that rule about degree - but hoped there was a way around it. Darnell did ok but too soft for me.

I think we need more DBs in the mold of the old days: Kevin Smith, Aaron Glenn, Derrick Frazier, Jeff Fuller, Patrick Bates, Donovan Greer, Jason Webster, Chris Crooms, etc. All NFL players & solid. That is why you could lock down & bring the heat!

g$$
11-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Why you always on here causing trouble!?:mad: :( :mad:

:thinking: :D :thinking:

How is relaying info. causing trouble? Please enlighten me...

It was recruiting info. with Aggie stuff too.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by g$$
How is relaying info. causing trouble? Please enlighten me...

It was recruiting info. with Aggie stuff too.
He's a Michigan fan, haha.

g$$
11-28-2007, 10:20 AM
He's a Michigan fan, haha.

Oh, sorry for him then. Don't see Ann Arbor in Sam's future. This is not groundbreaking news because it has been rumored for quite a while. MICH will still get plenty of good ones.

Bull19
11-28-2007, 10:34 AM
MCGUFFIE!!

country
11-28-2007, 10:39 AM
If you want to know what is going on with regards to A&M football, the last person on earth that I would listen to is Malatesta. I'd hardly call that a credible source.

I have always thought we'd end up with McGuffie.

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a match made in heaven. Cy-Fair is great in Ag. A&M is great in Ag.

Sam McGuffie is g'd up.

"Welcome to the Sam McGuffie just jumped your ass club, members: you and josh smith!"

Bull19
11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Sounds like a match made in heaven. Cy-Fair is great in Ag. A&M is great in Ag.

Sam McGuffie is g'd up.

AG MANAGMENT?

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
MCGUFFIE!!
Haha. Go Blue sent me a link to this "McGuffie" interview. Hilarious.

link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0OtFr9EiP0o)

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 10:56 AM
AG MANAGMENT? I don't know. Cy-Fair always wrecked in FFA competitions when we were there.

g$$
11-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by country
If you want to know what is going on with regards to A&M football, the last person on earth that I would listen to is Malatesta. I'd hardly call that a credible source.

I have always thought we'd end up with McGuffie.

What part of "grain of salt" as I posted confuses you? I take all recruiting info. & sources that way.

McGuffie will end up an Aggie though.

Big Papa
11-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
What part of "grain of salt" as I posted confuses you? I take all recruiting info. & sources that way.

so defensive...:

:D :D

Bull19
11-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by g$$

must be a pretty big grain of salt cause you sound pretty confident about him playing in cs next year

g$$
11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
so defensive...:

:D :D

You know what, I am not usually. But when I clearly state something as I did, & someone twists it around, then it irritates me. I don't consider Matt Malatesta or anyone else to be the be all-end all. It was just info. to relay & do what you want with it.

:)

g$$
11-28-2007, 12:21 PM
must be a pretty big grain of salt cause you sound pretty confident about him playing in cs next year

Referring to recruiting info. in general, that's all. Lots of crap out there too.

McGuffie will be an Aggie.

Big Papa
11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You know what, I am not usually. But when I clearly state something as I did, & someone twists it around, then it irritates me. I don't consider Matt Malatesta or anyone else to be the be all-end all. It was just info. to relay & do what you want with it.

:)

whoa whoa whoa...calm down there big fella....oh ok nevermind i didnt see the :) at the end...its all ok now...but i dont hink he twisted it that much anywho

country
11-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Dude, chill the hell out. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of other places to gather your info than from a guy who has been wrong more than anyone else in the business. There's a guy over on texags.com that you remind me a lot of that goes by the handle of redass05. You're not one in the same are you?

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
All recruitng reports I have research suggest that Sam McGuffie will end up as A&M's Backup Starting Halfback on the defensive side of the ball. :rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
All recruitng reports I have research suggest that Sam McGuffie will end up as A&M's Backup Starting Halfback on the defensive side of the ball. :rolleyes:

that sux for him...good luck ever seeing the field playing THAT position...

g$$
11-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Dude, chill the hell out. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of other places to gather your info than from a guy who has been wrong more than anyone else in the business. There's a guy over on texags.com that you remind me a lot of that goes by the handle of redass05. You're not one in the same are you?

One in the same? Maybe you meant one & the same, but NO.

1994 grad, not me. I actually don't post on texags, but I read it sometimes. I gather info. from lots of places, including people I used to work with there.

If you want me to chill out, don't come at me & make derogatory posts concerning me. I've read what you have said. You don't know me but I just might know you. Tell Coach T-big hello & enjoy that Palacios playoff run. It's only been over 40 years...

g$$
11-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

He may end up playing defense (DB). I don't know, but I do know he is a great athlete & track star too. You figure that stuff out later. I hope he signs with the Ags.

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by g$$
He may end up playing defense (DB). I don't know, but I do know he is a great athlete & track star too. You figure that stuff out later. I hope he signs with the Ags.

Do you think he'll have to make a decision between track and football early on?

It's very rare to see a two-sport athlete on that level anymore.

State_In_08
11-28-2007, 01:28 PM
I really hope McGuffie changes his mind, that kid has great potential.

country
11-28-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't give a rats azz if you know me or not. What are you going to do, e-stalk me and show up at my house? That would be a funny sight. Regardless, it doesn't mean you have to be so defensive about a simple post I made where in no way did I call you out over anything. I simply said I'd hardly call that idiot a credible source.

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't give a rats azz if you know me or not. What are you going to do, e-stalk me and show up at my house? That would be a funny site. Regardless, it doesn't mean you have to be so defensive about a simple post I made where in no way did I call you out over anything. I simply said I'd hardly call that idiot a credible source. Get used to it country he is just that way. If you don't agree with him or have a different opinion he goes on the defense.

country
11-28-2007, 01:30 PM
That's what I'm starting to realize. He may have met his match with me. I'm just hard headed enough to keep something like this rolling for a while.:)

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by g$$

McGuffie will be a Wolverine.

Edited by Sweetwater Red.

:D :devil: :D

g$$
11-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't give a rats azz if you know me or not. What are you going to do, e-stalk me and show up at my house? That would be a funny sight. Regardless, it doesn't mean you have to be so defensive about a simple post I made where in no way did I call you out over anything. I simply said I'd hardly call that idiot a credible source.

NO, I avoid Palacios all I can. Played many games over there in hs. No thanks, keep it.

Do like to fish the bays over that way though.

Go Land Sharks!

g$$
11-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Do you think he'll have to make a decision between track and football early on?

It's very rare to see a two-sport athlete on that level anymore.

Football in college. Some still do 2 sports, but he only wants to play football from what I have heard.

g$$
11-28-2007, 01:35 PM
That's what I'm starting to realize. He may have met his match with me. I'm just hard headed enough to keep something like this rolling for a while.:)

Match?

Now that's funny. :)

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Football in college. Some still do 2 sports, but he only wants to play football from what I have heard.

cool...thanks!

I was just remembering back when I was at Forney how Dabryan Blanton was being heavily recruited by all the big name schools and he ended up choosing OU only to quit the football team the next fall because he wanted to concentrate on track!

g$$
11-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
cool...thanks!

I was just remembering back when I was at Forney how Dabryan Blanton was being heavily recruited by all the big name schools and he ended up choosing OU only to quit the football team the next fall because he wanted to concentrate on track!

That's true, but Blanton is an elite track guy. McGuffie is an elite football player. I doubted him a little, but after watching him here in Houston, kid can play. And that's 5A football in Houston. You don't set the all-time rushing record for the Greater Houston Area (3121 yds. last year) by chance.

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
That's what I'm starting to realize. He may have met his match with me. I'm just hard headed enough to keep something like this rolling for a while.:) It don't matter what you tell him he is always right.

kepdawg
11-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Is McGuffie healthy yet?

g$$
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
It don't matter what you tell him he is always right.

What's your problem today? You know good & well if I am wrong I say so. Remember last night on Texas DBs drafted? Come on Blue. Don't let that 2nd loss in 2 years to A&M drag you down!

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That's true, but Blanton is an elite track guy. McGuffie is an elite football player. I doubted him a little, but after watching him here in Houston, kid can play. And that's 5A football in Houston. You don't set the all-time rushing record for the Greater Houston Area (3121 yds. last year) by chance.

Cool...I was just wondering!

g$$
11-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Is McGuffie healthy yet?

Yeah, he's rolling again. Sat out like 3 games with high ankle sprain. He goes against very good North Shore team Friday though. NS probably wins, but anxious to see how he does.

kepdawg
11-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yeah, he's rolling again. Sat out like 3 games with high ankle sprain. He goes against very good North Shore team Friday though. NS probably wins, but anxious to see how he does.

Cool! It sucks he wasn't 100% for the Cy Falls game! While he put up some decent numbers he obviously wasn't healthy. I was much more impressed with Turner from Cy Falls in that game.

country
11-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Well you past the test on becoming my grammar police on this website. Congratulations!

Class of '94 and you go by G$$.......I think I know exactly who you are. I saw a dude that went by that name and was about your age get laid completely out by a 20 year old one night in CS.

g$$
11-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Well you past the test on becoming my grammar police on this website. Congratulations!

Class of '94 and you go by G$$.......I think I know exactly who you are. I saw a dude that went by that name and was about your age get laid completely out by a 20 year old one night in CS.

Nickname goes back to HS. Most people don't call me that unless in a sports setting anyway.

When was that? I never got into a single fight my whole time in college. Few arguments here & there, but not fisticuffs. I like to have fun without that garbage.

Wrong guy. PM me if you like, I have friends from Palacios.

(past does not equal passed, fyi) ;)

country
11-28-2007, 02:58 PM
If you have friends from P town then they are definately from the wrong side of town.

The dude that got laid out happened around 2001 or somewhere in there. Seems like the guy had recently tried to have a fight with a sidewalk and lost that one as well.

g$$
11-28-2007, 03:05 PM
My friends from Palacios are good people. Don't know why you would say that.

Where was this fight? Bar, party, etc.?

country
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
If you never got into a single fight then why are you so concerned with it? Though, I guess 2001 would have been after you got out of college so you could technically be telling the truth. Must've just stayed in CS after you were done with school.

wedo
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Man G$$ u sure are excited, almost like Alabama was when they hired Saban!

Just messin around!!

I'd be excited too A&M needed a big time change.

g$$
11-28-2007, 03:13 PM
If you never got into a single fight then why are you so concerned with it? Though, I guess 2001 would have been after you got out of college so you could technically be telling the truth. Must've just stayed in CS after you were done with school.

I worked at A&M in Athletics until Spring of 2001. But I was never in a fight like that. I broke my nose in a drunken fall in 1999, but they fixed that for me & no lingering effects. That was all me, no one even around!

Wrong guy.

country
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Pretty sure I've got the right guy pegged and you're just crapping yourself that someone has figured out who you are.

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Seems like the guy had recently tried to have a fight with a sidewalk and lost that one as well.

Perhaps he IS on to something G...

g$$
11-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Dude, I was long gone given the dates you said. I moved back to the Houston Area. Plus, I wasn't in any fights. Don't know how else to say it.

Did I ever visit & stuff? Yes, but still no fights.

I have had my butt kicked & done some kicking myself. I would tell you if I was involved like you say.

country
11-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Were you a softball player?

g$$
11-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Were you a softball player?

I played on softball, flag football, sand volleyball, & basketball teams. Played indoor soccer exactly once. Some city & some at A&M. If you are referring to that big fight at the softball park where a guy got his head split open, I was not involved. I knew the guy who got hurt (Jeff). But I was not in it thank God. That was an ugly deal.

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 03:33 PM
hill air e us

stuff

g$$
11-28-2007, 03:55 PM
OK, for all who care:

"Country" is an old friend, & I mean really old friend going back to the mid '90s. I had no idea he had joined our circus here. (we PMed each other just now)

But for the record, he was kidding about the fight & getting laid out. He was messing with me & he got me good. I have to be nice to him or he might not let me deer hunt & drink beer with the gang this year! Just kidding.

Helluva of an athlete & better guy. New daddy too. So be nice to him & let's move on. He is full of crap most of the time fyi!

You got me Country, good job.

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by g$$
OK, for all who care:

"Country" is an old friend, & I mean really old friend going back to the mid '90s. I had no idea he had joined our circus here. (we PMed each other just now)

But for the record, he was kidding about the fight & getting laid out. He was messing with me & he got me good. I have to be nice to him or he might not let me deer hunt & drink beer with the gang this year! Just kidding.

Helluva of an athlete & better guy. New daddy too. So be nice to him & let's move on. He is full of crap most of the time fyi!

You got me Country, good job. He's nice to us so we should be nice to him. ;)

Wish we could nvm

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
OK, for all who care:

You got me Country, good job.

I was the first one to respond to his first post. He got the
question right. That's when I knew he was cool.:cool:

g$$
11-28-2007, 04:06 PM
I was the first one to respond to his first post. He got the
question right. That's when I knew he was cool.:cool:

What question?

Ask him what he thinks of me if you really want to know someone who knows me. He does let me tell you, the good & bad.

And likewise.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$
What question?

Sweetwater or Snyder? Duh....:D

g$$
11-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Sweetwater or Snyder? Duh....:D

He knows a little something about West TX.

"Location" for him is very misleading!

Stownhorse
11-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$
McGuffie will be an Aggie.

In your opinion.

country
11-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Alright I’ll go on record and admit that I do in fact know Mr. G$$$$$$. I came on here to rib the hell out of him and it worked even better than I though it would. I’m also not really from Palacios (just threw that in to throw him off) but rather from Junction. Thanks for putting up with the bantering all day. G$$ really is a good guy and a damn loyal friend. He’s just like all of us, if you know which buttons to push, you can really rile him up! Good times and, again, thanks for letting me clutter up the board messing with him.:)

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Alright I’ll go on record and admit that I do in fact know Mr. G$$$$$$. I came on here to rib the hell out of him and it worked even better than I though it would. I’m also not really from Palacios (just threw that in to throw him off) but rather from Junction. Thanks for putting up with the bantering all day. G$$ really is a good guy and a damn loyal friend. He’s just like all of us, if you know which buttons to push, you can really rile him up! Good times and, again, thanks for letting me clutter up the board messing with him.:) I know those buttons