PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman's First Season at Texas A&M.....

TexanFan4Life
11-28-2007, 12:11 AM
He better go recruit a big time QB. I have serious doubts as to Stephen McGee's ability to develop into a true pocket passer. He's got a speedster in Goodson, but will need to recruit a bruiser to use in that 'slow to, fast through' rushing system he uses so well. He's also losing his best OL in C Cody Wallace to the NFL Draft. He's got his work cut out for him from a recruiting standpoint, but I think he'll do just fine with guys like Goodson and Bennett to start building the offense around.

IHStangFan
11-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
He better go recruit a big time QB. I have serious doubts as to Stephen McGee's ability to develop into a true pocket passer. He's got a speedster in Woodson, but will need to recruit a bruiser to use in that 'slow to, fast through' rushing system he uses so well. He's also losing his best OL in C Cody Wallace to the NFL Draft. He's got his work cut out for him from a recruiting standpoint, but I think he'll do just fine with guys like Woodson and Bennett to start building the offense around. McGee was a great passing QB in HS...the only question is...w/ the system he's been playing in the last few years...is he damaged goods...i.e. David Carr?

Daddy D 11
11-28-2007, 12:25 AM
who is woodson? and im really excited to see the aggies runnning a pro style offense!

i love pro style offenses in colllege football for s0me odd reason

TexanFan4Life
11-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
who is woodson? and im really excited to see the aggies runnning a pro style offense!

i love pro style offenses in colllege football for s0me odd reason

Mike Goodson. Sorry about the typo.

I like it as well. I can't stand Spread and Option style offenses, since they aren't used on Sundays. I like to be able to gauge how a player will do in the NFL based on how he does in college/what type of system he runs out of....etc etc.

GoStafford
11-28-2007, 12:38 AM
i'm interested to see how stephen transfers from Fran to Sherman...

Fran was a father figure to stephen. He cancelled his trip after the game last friday to go spend time with fran at his house after fran resigned

TexanFan4Life
11-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by GoStafford
i'm interested to see how stephen transfers from Fran to Sherman...

Fran was a father figure to stephen. He cancelled his trip after the game last friday to go spend time with fran at his house after fran resigned

Stephen will probably appreciate not having to be a tackling dummy on Saturdays...

State_In_08
11-28-2007, 01:01 AM
I think he'll do fine, we've got some good weapons for him to work with.

As far as McGee goes, I think he can still pass a little. He showed that against Texas.

JR2004
11-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by State_In_08
As far as McGee goes, I think he can still pass a little. He showed that against Texas.

Who didn't show they could pass a little against Texas this year...

State_In_08
11-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Who didn't show they could pass a little against Texas this year...

True, true.

But still, it's a good sign to see him slinging the ball around still. I think he can do it if put in the right offense, which he will be under Sherman.

neck_06
11-28-2007, 01:19 AM
He better go recruit a big time QB. I have serious doubts as to Stephen McGee's ability to develop into a true pocket passer. He's got a speedster in Goodson, but will need to recruit a bruiser to use in that 'slow to, fast through' rushing system he uses so well. He's also losing his best OL in C Cody Wallace to the NFL Draft. He's got his work cut out for him from a recruiting standpoint, but I think he'll do just fine with guys like Goodson and Bennett to start building the offense around.

we already have a big time QB on campus...his name is Jerrod Johnson.

State_In_08
11-28-2007, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by neck_06

He is a seriously good athlete.

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 01:24 AM
we already have a big time QB on campus...his name is Jerrod Johnson. he is a great talent but still unproven

neck_06
11-28-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
he is a great talent but still unproven

he's unproven because he is "unplayed"

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 01:28 AM
he's unproven because he is "unplayed" that still doesnt change the fact that hes unproven cant call the guy a great QB when he hasnt played

neck_06
11-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
that still doesnt change the fact that hes unproven cant call the guy a great QB when he hasnt played

i didn't call him a great QB i called him a big time QB.....it was stated earlier that aTm needed to recruit a "big time QB"

navscanmaster
11-28-2007, 01:31 AM
he's unproven because he is "unplayed"

Hopefully he will see more playing time next year. Stephen only has one more year after all, might be time to get Johnson some good PT if they keep playing the same pathetic non-conference schedule.

TexanFan4Life
11-28-2007, 01:34 AM
i didn't call him a great QB i called him a big time QB.....it was stated earlier that aTm needed to recruit a "big time QB"

He's going to be asked to throw the ball by Mike Sherman. Does he have a good arm? I can't stand little tiny QBs that make their living by running more than they throw. Pat White is a prime example...that guy is so irritating to watch...heck, West Virginia is irritating to watch. There's nothing physical about that football team....

I'm getting off track. I'll be quiet now.

Old Tiger
11-28-2007, 01:36 AM
He's going to be asked to throw the ball by Mike Sherman. Does he have a good arm? I can't stand little tiny QBs that make their living by running more than they throw. Pat White is a prime example...that guy is so irritating to watch...heck, West Virginia is irritating to watch. There's nothing physical about that football team....

I'm getting off track. I'll be quiet now. Johnson is 6'6

In the spring game he looked dang good throwing the rock.

WVU is fun to watch.

navscanmaster
11-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Johnson is 6'6

WVU is fun to watch.

Yup. I love watching the true option teams, too bad they all suck.

20FAN07
11-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Shoot jerrod johnson is going to be a good QB. Look at the slim times he has been put in, hes gone down the field and scored TD's. Jerrod Johnson will fit in very nicely at the QB spot. I can see it now Jerrod, Goodson and Lane in the back field and Bennett on the side...looks good to me. Have to work on the lines, there gunna be hit pretty hard. But with all that i just hope we can build up a consistent defense back to aggieland.

TexanFan4Life
11-28-2007, 01:49 AM
WVU is fun to watch.

That is a false statement. LOL

WVU seemingly runs 1 of 2 plays over and over all game long. It's either (out of the gun, of course) White handing off to Slaton on the counter OR White faking the counter to Slaton and taking it himself. They run a 3-3-5 on defense, which is THE most finesse, non-physical type of defense anybody can run. They are a joke, which is why they always get "upset" by a conference foe or two each season. SOMETIMES Schmitt gets the ball, but not as much as he should. Pat White sucks when throwing the football. He's an athlete who lines up as a QB, nothing more.

injuredinmelee
11-28-2007, 02:56 AM
That is a false statement. LOL

WVU seemingly runs 1 of 2 plays over and over all game long. It's either (out of the gun, of course) White handing off to Slaton on the counter OR White faking the counter to Slaton and taking it himself. They run a 3-3-5 on defense, which is THE most finesse, non-physical type of defense anybody can run. They are a joke, which is why they always get "upset" by a conference foe or two each season. SOMETIMES Schmitt gets the ball, but not as much as he should. Pat White sucks when throwing the football. He's an athlete who lines up as a QB, nothing more.

and its has them ranked #2.

State_In_08
11-28-2007, 03:05 AM
Bottom line about West Virginia...

They have arguable the best two playmakers in college football lined up in their backfield. That alone makes them dangerous, and as the fella above me said, has them ranked the #2 team in the country.

Back to Aggieland... :)

I really think Johnson will be a good QB when given the chance to play full time. He's a great athlete and I've heard he's got a cannon. Might just be rumor though. Not really worried about the offense all that much under Sherman... he'll get it going. I want a Wrecking Crew defense back in College Station.

RattlerDude
11-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Johnson is 6'6

WVU is fun to watch.

Dude I can't actually believe that we agree on something. I thing West Virginia is fun to watch as well. I did hear that Johnson is a good quarterback as well. I hope he starts over Stephen McGee next year. McGee had his good year, and that good year is way over. I will be attending Texas A&M next year, and it will be awesome if the football team is really good.

grizz53
11-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by RattlerDude
Dude I can't actually believe that we agree on something. I thing West Virginia is fun to watch as well. I did hear that Johnson is a good quarterback as well. I hope he starts over Stephen McGee next year. McGee had his good year, and that good year is way over. I will be attending Texas A&M next year, and it will be awesome if the football team is really good.

How could you want Johnson to start over McGee? Yea McGee didnt have to great of a year but i think we can all agree that that was more Frans fault than McGees. When McGee actually got to show what he could do look what he did to t.u. I agree that that Johnson is probably going to be a good QB but under Sherman I think McGee will be alot better next year.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm still on board the McGee train. Johnson will get his shot in a couple of years.

Auburn had this same problem with Jason Campbell before his senior season. One of the biggest HS recruits in the nation, Campbell was considered a flop going into his senior year. Then Tubbs hired OC Al Borges. Borges came in, looked at the talent, and told Campbell, "You're my QB, but I don't want you doing what you've been doing. We're going to play to the team's strengths and to your strengths. We're going to cram the ball down their throat with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown and then give it to you when we need a big play."

Look at how that worked out for him.

If the offense plays loose like it did against Texas, McGee can and will finally be considered more of a passer than a running QB. It's just that the offense that Fran ran didn't play to McGee's strengths.

And Jerrod Johnson has a cannon. Anyone see the end of that Miami game?

g$$
11-28-2007, 09:48 AM

And the #2 qb in state verbally committed by most services too in Tommy Dorman (Andrew Luck is #1 going to Stanford). Ryan Tannehill is already on campus as well as Johnson.

Bigger question will be rebuilding both lines & getting more speed & playmakers. Not worried about qb situation one bit. Sherman knows how to coach OL as he has done it forever & produced many All-Conference & NFL players before at A&M.

Sherman teaches the counter gap blocking scheme with some zone & man principles too. I guess that is what you meant by "slow to, fast thru" Texan4Life. It's a one cut & go system when done right. No dancing in backfield. Ahman Green had over 1800 yds. one year in GB for him.

RattlerDude
11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm still on board the McGee train. Johnson will get his shot in a couple of years.

Auburn had this same problem with Jason Campbell before his senior season. One of the biggest HS recruits in the nation, Campbell was considered a flop going into his senior year. Then Tubbs hired OC Al Borges. Borges came in, looked at the talent, and told Campbell, "You're my QB, but I don't want you doing what you've been doing. We're going to play to the team's strengths and to your strengths. We're going to cram the ball down their throat with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown and then give it to you when we need a big play."

Look at how that worked out for him.

If the offense plays loose like it did against Texas, McGee can and will finally be considered more of a passer than a running QB. It's just that the offense that Fran ran didn't play to McGee's strengths.

And Jerrod Johnson has a cannon. Anyone see the end of that Miami game?

Yeah, that was a really nice touchdown pass. He was able to move around behind the line of scrimmage before finding the open man. It was a great play

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by RattlerDude
Yeah, that was a really nice touchdown pass. He was able to move around behind the line of scrimmage before finding the open man. It was a great play
Definitely. Even if it was against Miami's fourth-team JV, it was a helluva play.

g$$
11-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by grizz53
How could you want Johnson to start over McGee? Yea McGee didnt have to great of a year but i think we can all agree that that was more Frans fault than McGees. When McGee actually got to show what he could do look what he did to t.u. I agree that that Johnson is probably going to be a good QB but under Sherman I think McGee will be alot better next year.

Agreed 100%.

McGee is the starter until he leaves after next year. Then we'll see how it goes. He was not coached well under Fran & he has all the skills. Watch & see. He was a national recruit for a reason out of Burnet as a drop-back passer with wheels. Fran turned him into a battering ram most of the time.

Chris Hart
11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
If they stick with McGee, Aggie fans will finally get to witness what made him a big time recruit, his passing...

Big Papa
11-28-2007, 12:36 PM
. Borges came in, looked at the talent, and told Campbell, "You're my QB, but I don't want you doing what you've been doing. We're going to play to the team's strengths and to your strengths. We're going to cram the ball down their throat with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown and then give it to you when we need a big play."

is that a direct quote...cuz if so link please:D :D

Budman007
11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
If they stick with McGee, Aggie fans will finally get to witness what made him a big time recruit, his passing...

Can't wait to see McGee finish strong his senior year. Hopefully, Sherman will unleash the boy so he can show everyone that he truly has an arm in addition to his wheels.

Gig 'Em

Chris Hart
11-28-2007, 10:39 PM
I hope so too! Stephen needs a really good year to boost his stock for the draft. The last 3 years in Fran's offense have hurt him, but hopefully Sherman will turn him loose and the rest will take care of itself....

Emerson1
11-28-2007, 10:48 PM
I hope McGee can recover after 3 years with the QB Assassin. If not him and Reggie McNeal can go from team to team fighting for the slot receiver scout team spot.

big daddy russ
11-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I hope McGee can recover after 3 years with the QB Assassin. If not him and Reggie McNeal can go from team to team fighting for the slot receiver scout team spot.
Two of the most talented QB's to ever play at A&M. There's no doubt in my mind that McNeal was far and away the most talented ever (yes, even better than Bucky), and McGee's not far off.

g$$
11-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Two of the most talented QB's to ever play at A&M. There's no doubt in my mind that McNeal was far and away the most talented ever (yes, even better than Bucky), and McGee's not far off.

Talent = yes, probably more

Intangibles, leadership, toughness = NO

Referring to Reggie McNeal...

McGee has complete skill set.

Up to Sherman & staff to showcase it.