PDA

View Full Version : List for Tech

BobcatBenny
11-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Is it a long shot that Mike Leach actually would leave Tech?

How about we start making a list of possible head coaches for Texas Tech.

We should probably only include coaches that would seriously consider living in Lubbock, no matter how large a salary it demands.

Would Tech be willing to hire someone like Major Applewhite?

kepdawg
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Bill Parcells is available

He's got a history with Tech

BobcatBenny
11-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Bill Parcells is available

He's got a history with Tech
I believe he is close friends with coach Knight?

That would be a scary combo in Lubbock.

Hill Man
11-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Is it a long shot that Mike Leach actually would leave Tech?

How about we start making a list of possible head coaches for Texas Tech.

We should probably only include coaches that would seriously consider living in Lubbock, no matter how large a salary it demands.

Would Tech be willing to hire someone like Major Applewhite?

Nope.... the last time Tech hired a t-sipper (David McWilliams), as soon the tu job came open he split for Austin.. the next thing you see is his wife doing the hookem horny....

Major Applewhite like - maybe... Applewhite specifically, I hope not.

michaelp23
11-27-2007, 03:18 PM
ESPN said Leach is a candidate for the Arkansas job. He was one of several though. He may not take that job, but I bet he's looking. He's not going to be able to ever break through at Tech with them being in the Big 12 south.:wave: :wave: :wave: :clap:

lakers
11-27-2007, 03:44 PM

what is wrong with Lubbock?
It is actually a very nice town.

BobcatBenny
11-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by lakers
what is wrong with Lubbock?
It is actually a very nice town.
Nothing wrong with Lubbock at all, but most coaches have wives.

Adidas410s
11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
He's not going to be able to ever break through at Tech with them being in the Big 12 south.:wave: :wave: :wave: :clap:

But he would fare better in the SEC West with LSU, Auburn, and Alabama??? Doubt it.

RMAC
11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I think that if we have any shot at doing anything, it'll be next year. We return something like 8 and 10. I think next year could possibly be our year. But who knows, we got 7 months.

kepdawg
11-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Just hire Graham's dad.

They should be able to keep the offense going.

Who cares about the defense anyway!

buff4life
11-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Hill Man
Nope.... the last time Tech hired a t-sipper (David McWilliams), as soon the tu job came open he split for Austin.. the next thing you see is his wife doing the hookem horny....

nice and classless but what more could a person expect...

LH Panther Mom
11-27-2007, 09:26 PM

:foul: :foul: :foul: :foul: The way he did that still ticks me off.

SUPERMANN5107
11-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Nothing wrong with Lubbock at all, but most coaches have wives.

What do you mean by that?

3afan
11-28-2007, 07:18 AM

attaway to represent aTm ...

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by SUPERMANN5107
What do you mean by that?
I mean get married and then go out and look for a job.

Then being a very good worker and receivng several job offers from around the United States, find out where your wife wants you to take a job.

My experience is this. Lubbock, although a very nice town that I love, is not going to come to the top of many lists. For all sorts of various reasons.

If you were raised in the panhandle of Texas, Lubbock would be better than most. But, take someone who is not from the panhandle area and given choices, you are going to find that the other choices usually win out. Figure out why.

What you can get to pick Lubbock over the other choices are old basketball coaches have a colorful history (with not a lot of choices) and football coaches that need that first break into major college athletics.

Fortunately for Tech, they found an fairly inexperienced OC that had a desire to break into head coaching, possibly wasn't that well liked by his head coach . . . has a pirate fetish . . . stares blankly into space while being interviewed by the media . . . and likes money.

Cotton farmers, oil men, nuclear fuel handlers and members of the Church of Christ love the panhandle of Texas, the rest of the population would not find the Hub city the most desireable place to live. Again figure out why.

That is what I mean. :D

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:21 AM
I mean get married and then go out and look for a job.

Then being a very good worker and receivng several job offers from around the United States, find out where your wife wants you to take a job.

My experience is this. Lubbock, although a very nice town that I love, is not going to come to the top of many lists. For all sorts of various reasons.

If you were raised in the panhandle of Texas, Lubbock would be better than most. But, take someone who is not from the panhandle area and given choices, you are going to find that the other choices usually win out. Figure out why.

What you can get to pick Lubbock over the other choices are old basketball coaches have a colorful history (with not a lot of choices) and football coaches that need that first break into major college athletics.

Fortunately for Tech, they found an fairly inexperienced OC that had a desire to break into head coaching, possibly wasn't that well liked by his head coach . . . has a pirate fetish . . . stares blankly into space while being interviewed by the media . . . and likes money.

Cotton farmers, oil men, nuclear fuel handlers and members of the Church of Christ love the panhandle of Texas, the rest of the population would not find the Hub city the most desireable place to live. Again figure out why.

That is what I mean. :D
Haha. Art Briles is available. He may even wind up staying there.

markp08
11-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23
ESPN said Leach is a candidate for the Arkansas job. He was one of several though. He may not take that job, but I bet he's looking. He's not going to be able to ever break through at Tech with them being in the Big 12 south.:wave: :wave: :wave: :clap:

Leach will never break through anywhere as long as he insists on averaging 10 yards rushing per game. While his offense is flashy and fun to watch, it's just not strong enough against superior talent.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I guarantee you'll be hearing his name when the UCLA job comes open. I haven't heard anything yet, but he's a California boy and that's a hell of a program.

UCLA
Arkansas

The two programs he's most likely to bolt to.

And if I were him, I'd stay away from that mess up in Fayetteville like the plague.

75009Football
11-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:foul: :foul: :foul: :foul: The way he did that still ticks me off.

My blood pressure just jumped up thinking about it. Glad he went and then took his tumble. Just smiled at every article I saw after that.

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Haha. Art Briles is available. He may even wind up staying there.
Well, Big Daddy, looks like we can cross that name off the list.

Which leaves our list at:

kepdawg's tongue in cheek Bill Parcells
Benny's McWilliams-ish Major Applewhite

Are there any good minority candidates that could go on this list?

Daddy D 11
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Charlie Weiss :rolleyes:

PurplePride2006
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
I Know He's Just Been A North Texas For A Year, What About Todd Dodge?????

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Well, Big Daddy, looks like we can cross that name off the list.

Which leaves our list at:

kepdawg's tongue in cheek Bill Parcells
Benny's McWilliams-ish Major Applewhite

Are there any good minority candidates that could go on this list?
Is Eddie Robinson still alive? Maybe Dave Chappelle?

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Is Eddie Robinson still alive? Maybe Dave Chappelle?
Dave Chappelle, that would be decent. Tech's team could powder their lips white instead of putting black under their eyes. :D

I will add Todd Dodge, but doubtful he would bolt that quickly. Right? And again we are in McWilliams-ish territory.

And Tech does not want to start going 3 and 9. So, I am afraid Charlie will probably be available for A&M in a couple of years.

westtxfballfan
11-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Tanned, rested and ready to return!!
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/text/sports/m-footbl/98roster/s-dykes.jpg

But seriously, here's a name out of left field with Tech ties: Jerry Moore of Appalachian State? Too old?

Adidas410s
11-28-2007, 04:22 PM
If I had to make a list of replacements...it would look like this:

1. Sonny Dykes (OC Arizona)...knows the current offense...ties to the program

2. Hal Mumme (HC New Mexico State)...who better to replace Leach than the man who he created the Air Raid offense with??? He does have a cloudy past from his last few years at Kentucky...but that can be overlooked in Lubbock, right? ;)

3. Norm Chow (OC Tennessee Titans)...this isn't likely to happen...but it's fun to kick in an unlikely name to spice up interest...just ask A&M about throwing out Tuberville to the media! ;)

4. June Jones (HC Hawaii)...he wouldn't leave Hawaii for the mainland...but why not hire an offensive mind that uses a similar scheme to what is in place currently???

5. Todd Graham (HC Tulsa)...he's only been at Tulsa 1 year and before that he was at Rice for 1 year...so what's to stop him from leaving again for greener pastures? He knows how to air it out and his teams have been known to play a little defense.

My favorite option...hire a defensive-minded guy to be your HC and bring Sonny Dykes back from Arizona to be your Offensive Coordinator.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/text/sports/m-footbl/98roster/s-dykes.jpg

But seriously, here's a name out of left field with Tech ties: Jerry Moore of Appalachian State? Too old?
Moore's in his late-60's, isn't he?

A couple of names that should be serious considerations, especially considering the talent the Raiders are returning:

1. Dave Christensen, OC Mizzou-- Runs a similar offense at another Big XII school and is well-known in the D/FW and CenTex areas. Great fit to step in right away and continue with the current success. Also probably the best recruiter on the list and a great evaluator of talent. Christensen is the coach who demanded Chase Daniel and landed Jeremy Maclin. Not bad on his resume.

2. Larry Fedora, OC Okie State-- A Texas boy who graduated from Austin College up in Sherman, Fedora might be a little more willing to stay at Tech longer than everyone else. His first college gig was at Baylor, and he's had stop-offs at Air Force, Middle Tennessee, and the University of Florida before becoming OC under Gundy. Couldn't step in and pick up where Leach left off with his offense, but Tech might be better in the long run picking up Fedora.

3. Joker Phillips, OC Kentucky-- Biggest knock is that he has no Texas ties whatsoever. A Kentucky boy at heart, but runs a similar offense and is the biggest "name" on the list.

4. Jim Grobe, HC Wake Forest-- IMO the best pure coach in the business. There's a bunch of knocks on this pick, though. He has no Texas ties whatsoever, he's from the East Coast and I don't know if the environment in Lubbock would fit him or his family, he definitely doesn't run the same offense found in Lubbock, and he's likely to be courted by many other schools as well. But for all those negatives, there are two things you can't argue: He's arguably the best in the business at getting the most out of his players (hear that, Tech D?) and he's arguably the best in the business at managing a game (with apologies to Tommy Tuberville and Brian Kelly).

Went with an offensive list for the most part. Tech has the returning talent to make a huge splash next year, why not find someone who suits the talent, right?

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
If I had to make a list of replacements...it would look like this:

1. Sonny Dykes (OC Arizona)...knows the current offense...ties to the program

2. Hal Mumme (HC New Mexico State)...who better to replace Leach than the man who he created the Air Raid offense with??? He does have a cloudy past from his last few years at Kentucky...but that can be overlooked in Lubbock, right? ;)
Didn't even think of Dykes, and I'd love to see Mumme take over at a BCS school. He's one of my best friend's uncles.

BMOC
11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by markp08
Leach will never break through anywhere as long as he insists on averaging 10 yards rushing per game. While his offense is flashy and fun to watch, it's just not strong enough against superior talent.

Good thing that Oklahoma isn't considered a team with superior talent.

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Didn't even think of Dykes, and I'd love to see Mumme take over at a BCS school. He's one of my best friend's uncles.
from Wiki: Entering the 2006 season Mumme’s career record as a Division I head coach was 32-49.

Why would that stat make Tech not want to hire Mumme? :thinking:

But the list is starting to look a little better.

Adidas410s
11-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Moore's in his late-60's, isn't he?

A couple of names that should be serious considerations, especially considering the talent the Raiders are returning:

1. Dave Christensen, OC Mizzou-- Runs a similar offense at another Big XII school and is well-known in the D/FW and CenTex areas. Great fit to step in right away and continue with the current success. Also probably the best recruiter on the list and a great evaluator of talent. Christensen is the coach who demanded Chase Daniel and landed Jeremy Maclin. Not bad on his resume.

2. Larry Fedora, OC Okie State-- A Texas boy who graduated from Austin College up in Sherman, Fedora might be a little more willing to stay at Tech longer than everyone else. His first college gig was at Baylor, and he's had stop-offs at Air Force, Middle Tennessee, and the University of Florida before becoming OC under Gundy. Couldn't step in and pick up where Leach left off with his offense, but Tech might be better in the long run picking up Fedora.

3. Joker Phillips, OC Kentucky-- Biggest knock is that he has no Texas ties whatsoever. A Kentucky boy at heart, but runs a similar offense and is the biggest "name" on the list.

4. Jim Grobe, HC Wake Forest-- IMO the best pure coach in the business. There's a bunch of knocks on this pick, though. He has no Texas ties whatsoever, he's from the East Coast and I don't know if the environment in Lubbock would fit him or his family, he definitely doesn't run the same offense found in Lubbock, and he's likely to be courted by many other schools as well. But for all those negatives, there are two things you can't argue: He's arguably the best in the business at getting the most out of his players (hear that, Tech D?) and he's arguably the best in the business at managing a game (with apologies to Tommy Tuberville and Brian Kelly).

Went with an offensive list for the most part. Tech has the returning talent to make a huge splash next year, why not find someone who suits the talent, right?

I forgot about Christensen. I remember thinking about Mizzou when making my list but was only thinking Pinkel and that he wouldn't come to TT where AT BEST it's a lateral move.

Thanks for the info on Fedora. Definitely agree that it would be a step back offensively and he's not coming from a program that has shown to have a better defense than TT.

I don't think we'd be allowed to have a coach named Joker. The classless clowns references are already enough for Tech fans hehe.

I agree 100% on Grobe. He's a class act and a great coach that's doing an OUTSTANDING job at one of the toughest academic schools (and one of the smallest too) in Division 1. Then again, the lack of ties and interest in WTX could be hard on him. I know it was a pretty big shock for my girl going from Wake to TT and I hear often about how she hates the wind and dirt of the Lbk. Personally...I'm all for anything that ties Wake and TT together though as it furthers my annual case with her over renewing our season tickets. She's slowly becoming a converted Tech fan as she's never seen them lose in person (now up to 8-0). :)

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
from Wiki: Entering the 2006 season Mumme’s career record as a Division I head coach was 32-49.

Why would that stat make Tech not want to hire Mumme? :thinking:

But the list is starting to look a little better.
There are a lot more things than that that would make a program not want to hire Mumme. I won't go into all them, but personal ties have more to do with me wanting him at a BCS school than anything else.

westtxfballfan
11-28-2007, 05:57 PM
So I guess that's a "No" on Spike?

Excerpt from a typical Dykes post-game press conference:

Reporter: "Spike, can you explain how you can beat Texas last weekend and lose to North Texas this weekend?"

Spike: "Well that ball's not round, and it bounces in a lot of different directions, and sometimes it just doesn't bounce your way."

markp08
11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
Good thing that Oklahoma isn't considered a team with superior talent.

Or UT when A&M plays them for that Matter! :hand: Don't worry BMOC I'm a UT Fan as well and it hurts me too!

LH Panther Mom
11-28-2007, 07:17 PM
So I guess that's a "No" on Spike?

Excerpt from a typical Dykes post-game press conference:

Reporter: "Spike, can you explain how you can beat Texas last weekend and lose to North Texas this weekend?"

Spike: "Well that ball's not round, and it bounces in a lot of different directions, and sometimes it just doesn't bounce your way."
I would LOVE to have him back, but I would bet money that he would fall over laughing if they asked him. Plus, he's getting kind of "up there" and the last time I saw him he was enjoying retirement.

Budman007
11-28-2007, 09:47 PM
If Leach leaves, should'nt the Tortilla Throwers at least interview a Mexican-American coach??? It would be the politically correct thing to do. lol

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
If Leach leaves, should'nt the Tortilla Throwers at least interview a Mexican-American coach??? It would be the politically correct thing to do. lol
What? You want Tech to start ruining the records of the other Big XII South football teams with a round white ball?

I'm not sure that is with-in the NCAA rules. ;)

But I agree with you, if there is a good qualified American coach that happens to be Hispanic, he should be considered.

Daddy D 11
11-28-2007, 10:09 PM
kliff kingsbury :clap:

DoeBrae
11-28-2007, 11:05 PM
I would like to see Peterson, the coach at Boise State, get a shot in a BCS school. He has an open offense and I think would fit into the personnel Tech has right now.

Adidas410s
11-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by DoeBrae
I would like to see Peterson, the coach at Boise State, get a shot in a BCS school. He has an open offense and I think would fit into the personnel Tech has right now.

His name is rumored at bigger jobs than Tech...so I don't think he'd come to Lbk.

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 11:40 PM
OK this is the list of suggested names I have so far:

Bill Parcells
Major Applewhite
Charlie Weiss
Todd Dodge
Jerry Moore
Spike Dykes
Sonny Dykes
Hal Mumme
Norm Chow
June Jones
Todd Graham
Dave Christensen
Larry Fedora
Joker Phillips (the name gets my vote by default)
Jim Grobe
Kliff Kingsbury
Chris Peterson

This is a list of people I don't believe have been eliminated:

Bill Parcells
Major Applewhite
Todd Dodge
Jerry Moore
Sonny Dykes
Norm Chow
June Jones
Todd Graham
Dave Christensen
Larry Fedora
Jim Grobe
Chris Peterson

If you want any eliminated or added please make your case.

Budman007
11-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Even with Hawaii's poor facilities, do you seriously think June Jones would leave his island paradise for Lubbock??? Come on!

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 10:17 AM
This is a list of people I don't believe have been eliminated:

Bill Parcells
Major Applewhite
Todd Dodge
Jerry Moore
Sonny Dykes
Norm Chow
June Jones
Todd Graham
Dave Christensen
Larry Fedora
Jim Grobe
Chris Peterson

If you want any eliminated or added please make your case. [/B]

Here are the names you can eliminate...

Bill Parcells...has no desire to coach in college...
Major Applewhite...has to prove himself as a head coach...and the McWilliams factor
Todd Dodge...a season of 2-9 football in the Sun Belt doesn't get you a job in the Big 12 at a winning program
Jerry Moore...too old...
Sonny Dykes
Norm Chow...Lubbock...can get a "better job"
June Jones...Hawaii vs Lubbock
Todd Graham
Dave Christensen
Larry Fedora
Joker Phillips (the name gets my vote by default)...name issues...still not that proven as a coordinator other than a few good games with Andre Woodson
Jim Grobe
Chris Peterson...I think he can get better jobs...

so that leaves 6 names that can't be easily eliminated

Sonny Dykes
Todd Graham
Dave Christensen
Larry Fedora (though his name bugs me almost as much as Joker Phillips)
Jim Grobe
Chris Peterson (maybe)

Butkus
11-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Ole Butkus can be alittle old and slow sum times but ole hang dog face leach hadnt left raiders land yet has he.:thinking:

lakers
11-29-2007, 10:24 AM
There was some good news in the Texas Tech University paper this morning. Leach claims that they are all rumors and he doesnt have any intentions of leaving tech at this time. He said he has not contacted or been in contact with any other university's. He said that he cannot even keep up with all the rumors swirling around this topic.

BobcatBenny
11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
There was some good news in the Texas Tech University paper this morning. Leach claims that they are all rumors and he doesnt have any intentions of leaving tech at this time. He said he has not contacted or been in contact with any other university's. He said that he cannot even keep up with all the rumors swirling around this topic.
Well, that's because it is now deep into camel racing season and he is distracted with that.

Let those camel races get all wrapped up and he will check his voicemail and inbox. :D

catdaddy
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Let those camel races get all wrapped up and he will check his voicemail and inbox.

If he can find his way out of the whine cellar:bigcry:

BobcatBenny
11-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by catdaddy
If he can find his way out of the whine cellar:bigcry:
Actually, I thought the whining was a clever tactic.

Unorthodox, but I do think it put the focus on the refs for the OU game.

$10,000 is a cheap price to pay to make sure that OU does not get the benefit of the doubt calls from the refs.

If he could give $10,000 dollars to ensure the refs do not adversely influence the game against Tech, then Mike Leach would cough up the 10Gs each and every week.

I do not really think Tech would have beaten the Long Horns either way, nor do I think Leach did either. But, he knew the calls had an influence and he knew that he needed to eliminate the bias from the ref’s minds. Get them on the defensive for the OU game. Basically eliminate the refs as a factor, especially since the refs might think they owe OU one or two calls because of the game at Jones 2 years ago.

I think Mike Leach is actually insanely smart. In this case he used his law degree well, he influenced the jury . . . bought them for 10Gs.

. . . And for all you ref lovers out there I do think you are human and tend to and sometimes actually attempt to influence games.

LH Panther Mom
11-29-2007, 12:41 PM
You know, that might be the case. But that's pretty much what McWilliams said....for about 38 seconds. :mad: :mad:

Adidas410s
11-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Actually, I thought the whining was a clever tactic.

Unorthodox, but I do think it put the focus on the refs for the OU game.

$10,000 is a cheap price to pay to make sure that OU does not get the benefit of the doubt calls from the refs.

If he could give $10,000 dollars to ensure the refs do not adversely influence the game against Tech, then Mike Leach would cough up the 10Gs each and every week.

I do not really think Tech would have beaten the Long Horns either way, nor do I think Leach did either. But, he knew the calls had an influence and he knew that he needed to eliminate the bias from the ref’s minds. Get them on the defensive for the OU game. Basically eliminate the refs as a factor, especially since the refs might think they owe OU one or two calls because of the game at Jones 2 years ago.

I think Mike Leach is actually insanely smart. In this case he used his law degree well, he influenced the jury . . . bought them for 10Gs.

. . . And for all you ref lovers out there I do think you are human and tend to and sometimes actually attempt to influence games.

Furthermore, it puts the thought in the officials mind that Leach could continue to voice his displeasure...regardless of the expense...and that it could bring about change to the system and that could be detrimental to the officials where it counts...in the pocketbook! ;);)

GreenMonster
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM

But seriously, here's a name out of left field with Tech ties: Jerry Moore of Appalachian State? Too old? The next Tech head coach will be a Dykes, but it won't be Spike. It will be Spike's boy Sonny.

BobcatBenny
12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Oh, I guess this need to float back to the top.

Adidas410s
12-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Here's a short list of potential names that I read yesterday:

1. Cris Peterson, Head Coach, Boise State
2. Dan Mullen, Offensive Coord, Univ of Florida
3. Dave Christensen, Asst. Head Coach/OC, Mizzou
4. Dave Blakeney, Head Coach, Troy Univ
5. Brian Kelly, Head Coach, Cincinnati

All lead or have led prolific offenses. None, however, have strong Texas ties (neither did Leach, that's more important for assistants since the HC only meets recruits on the back end of the courtship and after an assistant has really greased those skids).

big daddy russ
12-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Someone needs to hire Brian Kelly.

tortilla_man
12-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Fran to tech?

Snydertigersrul
12-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Maybe I throw my hat into the ring when Leach leaves