PDA

View Full Version : Fran to SMU?

marler1972
11-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I have heard from a few people that say it may happen.

Phil C
11-27-2007, 03:25 PM
If he does look for SMU to emerge as a power house in a few years. It is a great school and located in a great city (Dallas). Remember SMU won the football national championship in 1935.

crzyjournalist03
11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Remember, SMU also received the death penalty for cheating and has never recovered.

CenTexSports
11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I admire the Methodist.

UPanIN
11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Remember, SMU also received the death penalty for cheating and has never recovered.

Fran and his son would fit right in then.

Phil C
11-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I admire the Methodist.

Cen I also admire the Methodist Church.

TexanFan4Life
11-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
If he does look for SMU to emerge as a power house in a few years. It is a great school and located in a great city (Dallas). Remember SMU won the football national championship in 1935.

This isn't 1935 and Dennis Franchione isn't Knute Rockne at Notre Dame.

Bottom line, when a Head Coach makes a conscious decision to run his QB 25-30 times a game and NOT give it to his 275 pound FB he's NOT going to be successful at any school.

buff4life
11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
NOOOO...take GREG not FRAN!!!!

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
NOOOO...take GREG not FRAN!!!! word...

Daddy D 11
11-27-2007, 07:12 PM
amen to taking greg :clap:

if not, what do you say we go down town blue and ill tie him up while you stone him :D :devil:

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:38 PM
I heave heard this too, even posted it in my thread about what I knew concerning the A&M situation a few weeks ago.

It may happen, & he seems to do better at schools in lesser conferences anyway (Pittsburg State in Kansas, SWT, New Mexico, TCU).

JR2004
11-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
NOOOO...take GREG not FRAN!!!!

I second this.

Won't matter though who they get because they don't recruit DISD players.

This year's team had 92 players or so on it.

SIX were from Highland Park...

TWO were from DISD...TWO!!!!

That adds up to a pretty awful football team when you're thumbing your nose at DISD schools.

Adidas410s
11-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I second this.

That adds up to a pretty awful football team when you're thumbing your nose at DISD schools.

Something tells me that DISD kids aren't too interested in playing for the SMU either. Just a hunch...

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Something tells me that DISD kids aren't too interested in playing for the SMU either. Just a hunch...

Everyone was interested when SMU was paying much better!

Darn that Death Penalty...& never to return again to prominence.

Snydertigersrul
11-27-2007, 08:07 PM
What about Arkansas

JR2004
11-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

Not so...DISD kids not being at SMU has WAY more to do with SMU than it does DISD kids not wanting to go there.

SMU doesn't even bother recruiting them. Out of all the kids we've had over the last several years that got D1 scholarships, not ONE of them even heard from SMU or saw a SMU coach show up to even attempt to talk to them as far as I know.

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Everyone was interested when SMU was paying much better!

Darn that Death Penalty...& never to return again to prominence.

The death penalty was 20 years ago..IMO SMU and its fan base is using that as a crutch now

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The death penalty was 20 years ago..IMO SMU and its fan base is using that as a crutch now word

kepdawg
11-27-2007, 08:34 PM
SMU can't win because they don't have parking or so I hear! :D

injuredinmelee
11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
amen to taking greg :clap:

if not, what do you say we go down town blue and ill tie him up while you stone him :D :devil:

count me in on that.

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The death penalty was 20 years ago..IMO SMU and its fan base is using that as a crutch now

I know when it was. I was 18 yrs. old then. Point is the program has never recovered & it decimated them forever. Perception is reality. They can't recruit & they will never win big anytime soon.

I used to think they could eventually turn the corner. I really don't now. Too much to overcome. Coaching graveyard.

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
What about Arkansas

Fran to Ark? I have not heard one mention if it, but who knows. Saw where Houston Nutt got Ole Miss job though today.

Ark wants Butch Davis I hear.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
I second this.

Gotta lock down your back yard before it's safe to go wandering around the neighborhood. That's how Miami became such a great program under Schnellenberger. It's also how Carroll reignited the USC program. Big mistake if it's true, IMO.

And Greg who? Robinson?

MN95
11-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Does SMU not recruiting DISD kids have anything to do with more difficult academic admssion standards? Seems like Phil Bennett referred to this issue a couple of times.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by MN95
Does SMU not recruiting DISD kids have anything to do with more difficult academic admssion standards? Seems like Phil Bennett referred to this issue a couple of times.
That would make sense. TCU, Okie State, Tech, others have more relaxed admissions standards and more prominent programs.

MN95
11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I would be very surprised if ANY coach/school made a conscious decision not to recruit a specific school district, especially one with talent like DISD. If there were players to help him keep his job, he would have been interested. Has to be more to it, like academics.