PDA

View Full Version : Say It Aint So Art!!!(Baylor?)

TinyTim
11-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Just heard that Art Briles is taking the Baylor job.

Hope not, he could get Tech when Leach goes to UCLA.

charlesrixey
11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim

please say it isn't so

what a waste

why leave a great set-up in houston for baylor?

he could take any number of jobs in the next couple of years

themsu97
11-27-2007, 02:11 PM
on the flip side, why not?

UH has been flip flopping for years whether or not to do away with the football program... Art turned it around... UH facilities are terrible, campus sucks...
Baylor has more money and resources... plus he has ties and if he can turn around UH why not Baylor?

he gets them to 6-6, 7-5 maybe, people will be knocking down his door and that is not an unrealistic expectation

jason
11-27-2007, 02:14 PM
copperas cove has 2 UH verbal commits - qb robert griffin (who is a 2 time defending 300 hurdle champ) and rb troy vital (who is usually the 2nd fastest guy on the field behind griffin)...

both are slated to play football and run track...

i wonder if this will effect their/any potential recruits...

nobogey72
11-27-2007, 02:39 PM

Is your source the same one that had Spurrier going to A&M? I know that you are not the poster that said that Spurrier was a done deal, but it's crazy how stuff gets started then spreads like wildfire. It would be great for Art, (grew up with him) but I'm like a previous poster that thinks there would be a better deal down the road. But, Baylor might turn out to be the perfect stepping stone, or he might get Baylor up with the elite and he stays there 10 yrs. Who knows?

Adidas410s
11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Don't think Leach would leave for UCLA...but ya never know I guess...

I would think that Briles would wait another year or two to see if Leach leaves because he's made it known that he would be interested in the TT job.

themsu97
11-27-2007, 02:43 PM
what I heard this morning on the Houston radio station from Andre Ware was that Briles was in Waco today to meet with Baylor... whether or not he is taking the job or even being offered the job is a different story altogether

Emerson1
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by jason
copperas cove has 2 UH verbal commits - qb robert griffin (who is a 2 time defending 300 hurdle champ) and rb troy vital (who is usually the 2nd fastest guy on the field behind griffin)...

both are slated to play football and run track...

i wonder if this will effect their/any potential recruits...
Probably, because the new HC will be someone down the totem pole on the coaching staff or from a crappier DI or DI-AA school.

Troy Vital is overrated anyways.

TinyTim
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Is your source the same one that had Spurrier going to A&M? I know that you are not the poster that said that Spurrier was a done deal, but it's crazy how stuff gets started then spreads like wildfire. It would be great for Art, (grew up with him) but I'm like a previous poster that thinks there would be a better deal down the road. But, Baylor might turn out to be the perfect stepping stone, or he might get Baylor up with the elite and he stays there 10 yrs. Who knows?

Will never reveal my sources and I don't typically get caught up in the rhetoric of gossip or spreading news just for the sake of doing it. My number of posts will indicate that.

I did however predict that Wylie would play at Graham. Art is on campus at Baylor as we speak interviewing. I have an extremely close friend that is a Baylor alumni though and you and tf2 both know him.

TinyTim
11-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Will never reveal my sources and I don't typically get caught up in the rhetoric of gossip or spreading news just for the sake of doing it. My number of posts will indicate that.

I did however predict that Wylie would play at Graham. Art is on campus at Baylor as we speak interviewing. I have an extremely close friend that is a Baylor alumni though and you and tf2 both know him.

I don't think that Art going to Baylor is a done deal by a long shot.

All I am saying is "Say it aint So Art."

Johnny Utah
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
$1.8 Million reasons why. Big 12! Briles can get them to U of H he can get them to Baylor. Can he risk waiting around on Tech?? Doubt it.

michaelp23
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
That would suck for Case Keenum (Wylie grad). He's shared starting duties at QB this year and done a pretty good job. I know he doesn't want to be a part of rebuilding a program in his last two years.

By the way, ESPN this morning reported Mike Leach as one of several candidates for the Arkansas job. :thinking:

nobogey72
11-27-2007, 04:03 PM

Believe me, I wasn't accusing you of spreading gossip and even if you were that is half the fun of these forums is saying what you hear. That move wouldn't surprise me at all but the selfish part of me would hate to see it happen for Keenum's sake. But something tells me Case will be OK no matter what happens.

ronwx5x
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Probably, because the new HC will be someone down the totem pole on the coaching staff or from a crappier DI or DI-AA school.

Troy Vital is overrated anyways.
Do you ever have anything pleasant to say to or about anyone? All you seem to be able to do is slam other people or their opinions.

TinyTim
11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Believe me, I wasn't accusing you of spreading gossip and even if you were that is half the fun of these forums is saying what you hear. That move wouldn't surprise me at all but the selfish part of me would hate to see it happen for Keenum's sake. But something tells me Case will be OK no matter what happens.

I know how you feel. Case although was not the best athlete to go through the system, certainly was the best football player and you wish him well for all the entertainment he provided us.

However, I agree he will compete for a starting job and do well, and he doesn't need Briles to do that.

In the end, a full athletic scholarship to get a quality education for any athlete is the real goal.

Merry Christmas to Art is he gets the job.

eagles_victory
11-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Do you ever have anything pleasant to say to or about anyone? All you seem to be able to do is slam other people or their opinions. thats why he was been called the downlows resident "Negative Nancy" many times

ronwx5x
11-27-2007, 04:25 PM
So it's not just me?

setxsports
11-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Baylor it is!!! Making his resume look good for Tech later on.

ronwx5x
11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by **********
Baylor it is!!! Making his resume look good for Tech later on.
I'm a Tech grad and I hope Mike Leach stays but also learns the value of defense.

Art Briles did not "turn around" UH, just made them less bad, in my opinion. I live in the Houston area and I'm here to tell you no one is bragging on the Cougars.

Texasfootball2
11-27-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm a Tech grad and I hope Mike Leach stays but also learns the value of defense.

Art Briles did not "turn around" UH, just made them less bad, in my opinion. I live in the Houston area and I'm here to tell you no one is bragging on the Cougars.

They were really bad before he got there. Art gave them some credibility. And if I'm not mistaken hasn't the Cougars played in some bowl games under Art's leadership. If the "Houston Area" had any sense they would be screaming for UH to pay to keep him, because if he leaves, it back in the toilet for the Coogs and they may even drop the program.

JasperDog94
11-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
They were really bad before he got there. Art gave them some credibility. And if I'm not mistaken hasn't the Cougars played in some bowl games under Art's leadership. If the "Houston Area" had any sense they would be screaming for UH to pay to keep him, because if he leaves, it back in the toilet for the Coogs and they may even drop the program. Cougar High Football Rules!!!:cheerl:

TexanFan4Life
11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I would always take a job where I had the opportunity to rebuild a program. Rebuilding is so much fun. And rewarding.

ronwx5x
11-27-2007, 05:18 PM
They were really bad before he got there. Art gave them some credibility. And if I'm not mistaken hasn't the Cougars played in some bowl games under Art's leadership. If the "Houston Area" had any sense they would be screaming for UH to pay to keep him, because if he leaves, it back in the toilet for the Coogs and they may even drop the program.
They were really bad before Art Briles got there. They are mediocre (at best) now.
This year they should go to their first bowl game since 1980.

STANG RED
11-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I dont see what the problem is.:confused: Wouldnt Baylor be a about a 10 step up from UH? I would think so! Baylor is a top notch school, and have many very good sports programs. They just need someone who can build their football program back up. I think Art could recruit many more good athletes to Baylor than he ever could have at UH, and I think he will. I think its a great fit, and once he's built that program into a contender, he'll be able to step right into one of the elite HC jobs. I'm sure there will be an opening somewhere when the time is right.

WylieBulldog92
11-27-2007, 06:24 PM
They were really bad before Art Briles got there. They are mediocre (at best) now.
What........they went to a bowl game last year...and the year before that and two years before that.

SUPERMANN5107
11-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
By the way, ESPN this morning reported Mike Leach as one of several candidates for the Arkansas job. :thinking:

Leach to Arkansas seems unlikely. He would more than likely be losing the best back in the country in Darren McFadden and maybe Felix Jones who is somewhat underrated.

SUPERMANN5107
11-27-2007, 06:34 PM
I would love to be the first one to greet Art Briles on campus. Not sayin that Morriss wasnt a good coach, he just couldn't recruit to save his life (or job). I think Briles could put some life back into the program.

nobogey72
11-27-2007, 06:39 PM

So, can we assume then that UH doesn't have you on their data base of past contributors? Do ya'll have cable in the Woodlands? UH has been to bowls 3 of Art's 4 yrs. :tongue:

charlesrixey
11-27-2007, 07:25 PM

it wouldn't be their first bowl game since 1980

i'm fairly certain they've been to more than one the past three years

Adidas410s
11-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont see what the problem is.:confused: Wouldnt Baylor be a about a 10 step up from UH? I would think so! Baylor is a top notch school, and have many very good sports programs. They just need someone who can build their football program back up. I think Art could recruit many more good athletes to Baylor than he ever could have at UH, and I think he will. I think its a great fit, and once he's built that program into a contender, he'll be able to step right into one of the elite HC jobs. I'm sure there will be an opening somewhere when the time is right.

the only town tougher to sell a recruit on than Lubbock is Waco...and unlike Lbk you can't just take the players by the Tri Delta house and have them "hooked" ;);)

nobogey72
11-28-2007, 12:45 AM
KTXS reported at 6:00 that the job had been offered to Briles but as of then he had not given an answer.:doh:

TexanFan4Life
11-28-2007, 12:52 AM
KTXS reported at 6:00 that the job had been offered to Briles but as of then he had not given an answer.:doh:

Baylor officials said he was set to sign a 10-year contract, but Houston's AD only gave this comment...."As of right now, he's still a coach here."

Art Briles is as good as gone from U of H.

ronwx5x
11-28-2007, 09:26 AM

I amend my statement to "Real" Bowl. Their shining record

2007 Texas Bowl - ?
2006 Liberty Bowl - Lost to South Carolina
2005 Ft. Worth Bowl - Lost to Kansas
2004 No Bowl
2003 Hawaii Bowl - Lost to Hawaii

Now that's a record to brag about!

nobogey72
11-28-2007, 11:01 AM
I amend my statement to "Real" Bowl. Their shining record

2007 Texas Bowl - ?
2006 Liberty Bowl - Lost to South Carolina
2005 Ft. Worth Bowl - Lost to Kansas
2004 No Bowl
2003 Hawaii Bowl - Lost to Hawaii

Now that's a record to brag about!

I don't remember anybody braggin'. You are the one that made the half/cocked, ignorant comment about not going to a bowl game since 80. You ever try Prozak? I hear it does wonders. If by chance you are a female, Midol should help with the cramping and occasional bloating. Have a great week happy guy.

P.S. They did as you say lose to Hawaii in 03, but they definitely won the fight at the end of the game. No Contest.

Texasfootball2
11-28-2007, 11:05 AM

You may be the most clueless person who post on the DL. And you probably sit there and wander why people on here rip you so much. :nerd:

TinyTim
11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't remember anybody braggin'. You are the one that made the half/cocked, ignorant comment about not going to a bowl game since 80. You ever try Prozak? I hear it does wonders. If by chance you are a female, Midol should help with the cramping and occasional bloating. Have a great week happy guy.

P.S. They did as you say lose to Hawaii in 03, but they definitely won the fight at the end of the game. No Contest.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

Can't we all just get along.

Forgive this guy/gal for it does reside in the Woodlands and everyone knows that those folks are funny anyway.

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
5:30 p.m. press conference today at Baylor to announce Briles as the new coach.

Texasfootball2
11-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
5:30 p.m. press conference today at Baylor to announce Briles as the new coach.

Good for Art:thumbsup: I hope he does well.:clap:

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Ya'll do know Art Briles was an asst. coach at Sweetwater right?:thinking: :D :devil

1980 to 1983.

Scroll to the bottom

http://uhcougars.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/briles_art00.html

Texasfootball2
11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Ya'll do know Art Briles was an asst. coach at Sweetwater right?:thinking: :D :devil:

Yes, when Richey was there

BMOC
11-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I wonder if Keenum will follow him to Baylor?

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Yes, when Richey was there

No. I edited my post '80-'83.

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:22 PM
No. I edited my post '80-'83.

but your post says 80-84....

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 01:24 PM
but your post says 80-84....

:confused:

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:24 PM
:confused:

you edited your edit apparently...

g$$
11-28-2007, 01:29 PM

Agreed. Art Briles has done a great job at UH. Won C-USA last year & 4/5 years in bowls. Hard job at a commuter school in the city. Can't blame him for moving up into the Big 12 & more $$ too.

Great hire for Baylor. He is very personable, knows the high school coaches, & will get a few recruits & do a good job.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 01:30 PM
you edited your edit apparently...

:D

On a side note. Who's got the best record in the NHL?:thinking: :devil:

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:33 PM
:D

On a side note. Who's got the best record in the NHL?:thinking: :devil:

Ottawa has the best record. :p

(yeah, Detroit has the most points, but they've had more games than the Senators).

Have you checked the Wings rear-view mirror lately??? There's a team that's been gaining pretty quickly these last couple weeks...

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Ottawa has the best record. :p

(yeah, Detroit has the most points, but they've had more games than the Senators).

Have you checked the Wings rear-view mirror lately??? There's a team that's been gaining pretty quickly these last couple weeks...

7-1-2 in their last ten(Dallas).:thinking:

I'll be honest. Last night was the first game I've seen all year. I
just happened to be flipping by the VS. channel. Calgary had no
answer for Datsyuk.:D

kepdawg
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
How did hockey work its way in to this post!?! :mad:

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:43 PM
back to the subject because I don't want people freaking out when they see hockey talk in a football post...

here's a good read about the news:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/112907dnspobaylorlede.49c68c4e.html

Interesting that Baylor might not even announce the terms of the deal.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

That would be me. It was a quick discussion. Nothing more.:thumbsup:

crzyjournalist03
11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

:D I guess I was just a couple of seconds too late getting things back straight...

I apologize. :blush:

kepdawg
11-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't mind the hockey talk, just not on a football thread!

I'd see there was a new post and come to check it out and it was a new hockey post!

Stownhorse
11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Don't think Leach would leave for UCLA...but ya never know I guess...

I would think that Briles would wait another year or two to see if Leach leaves because he's made it known that he would be interested in the TT job.

UCLA would be good for Leach. He already has the West Coast passing. All he needs is a taste of run and a decent D coordinator.

g$$
11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
UCLA would be good for Leach. He already has the West Coast passing. All he needs is a taste of run and a decent D coordinator.

Leach would leave Tech for UCLA. He has maxxed out at Tech. Plus, he has CA ties. It could happen.

Briles reportedly got 1.8M for 10 years! Tech may be out of question in future now for him.

Adidas410s
11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Leach would leave Tech for UCLA. He has maxxed out at Tech. Plus, he has CA ties. It could happen.

Briles reportedly got 1.8M for 10 years! Tech may be out of question in future now for him.

Exactly. Baylor gave him a high enough contract that it would take $14.4 mil (approx) to buy him out of his contract in 2 years. Now let's just hope for them that it pays off.

sahen
11-28-2007, 08:55 PM
couple things, i think the contract is 1.2 million over 7 years w/ incentives so that it can be 1.8 million...Baylor doesnt release the terms of the deal because we are a private school and dont have to, none of our coaches contracts are public knowledge, though they are leaked out sometimes and so people can know the general outline of the deal.....

second whoever said Briles didnt really turn UH around but jsut made them semi-decent....if taking an 0-11 teal to 10-4 and winning your conference in 4 years isnt turning a team around then i dont know what is.....

Briles seems like a good fit for baylor and the contract they gave him is for the long term, i hope he works out cause baylor football is killing me every fall...

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:09 PM
I like the hire better than the Singletary hire. If there's one thing I know, it takes longer to turn a team around through good defense than good offense, and I don't know if Singletary could've done the job that Briles will do. He definitely knows CenTex (HC at Stephenville and Georgetown) and should be great at keeping some of those kids at home.

At the same time, though, he's entering one of the toughest situations in America. Not because he's a terrible coach, but because every other school in this division has better resources to win. Baylor's in a prime recruiting area unlike Tech and OSU, but OSU has T. Boone Pickens as an alum and Tech still has Mike Leach and that offense that tons of kids want to play for. Baylor, meanwhile, has some good-looking girls and God.

Using Notre Dame and Boston College as background, I think God prefers Catholic football teams. Using the rest of the Big XII as background, I think that good-looking girls can be found on campuses all around the Big XII South. Definitely better than the girls the kids are used to ogling at high school campuses all around the state. Just be sure to bag it when you get up around Lubbock.

Basically, if Leach leaves and Tech doesn't hire someone who can keep them going, Baylor has a shot at Tech's spot in the pecking order, but breaking through OU and UT will be tall orders. If he puts together a 7-win season anytime within the next five years (the time when his recruits should be coming into their own), I'll be very impressed.

Budman007
11-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Excellent hire. Baylor is very fortunate to get someone of Coach Brile's caliber. If he can't get the Bears turned around and in the right direction, nobody can. He is an unbelievably good recruiter.

sicem74
11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
well i was there when he announced his leaving
i respect his decision because for his family he decided that he should leave u of h

hes done mostly everything he can do for uh....i wish him the best luck at baylor....

sahen
11-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by sicem74
well i was there when he announced his leaving
i respect his decision because for his family he decided that he should leave u of h

hes done mostly everything he can do for uh....i wish him the best luck at baylor....

w/ ur name as sicem you should be happy he is going to baylor :)

sicem74
11-29-2007, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by sahen
w/ ur name as sicem you should be happy he is going to baylor :)

haha i should get a new name huh

g$$
11-29-2007, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Just be sure to bag it when you get up around Lubbock.

This is quite the statement for our pizza delivery brethren in Lubbock...I was under the impression all were virgins in the LBK.

Are we bagging groceries?

No BIG girls allowed - Pub Fiction in Houston was enough last night for Roger Creager. I have a beautiful girlfriend (if I might say, way better looking than I am) & even she laughed at the nonsense. Tech girl tried to start trouble - she went to Tech, enough said. She only knew me from Aggie ring. Came out of bathroom & here we go. Just crazy big girl. I told her my shih-tzu dog could get into Tech & she went silent. Say good-bye.

Adidas - you deserve better. ;)

nobogey72
11-29-2007, 05:57 AM
I just hope that some of the recruits that Art had committed to UH will follow him to Baylor. Mainly the QB from Copperas Cove, the hurdler. Probably a WR or DB at college level. He had several other good recruits that committed early. I maily hope that our boy Case Keenum will follow him also.:thumbsup:

sicem74
11-29-2007, 01:53 PM
I just hope that some of the recruits that Art had committed to UH will follow him to Baylor. Mainly the QB from Copperas Cove, the hurdler. Probably a WR or DB at college level. He had several other good recruits that committed early. I maily hope that our boy Case Keenum will follow him also.:thumbsup:

i hope not

g$$
11-29-2007, 05:30 PM

Why would Keenum leave UH? He would have to sit out a year under D1 transfer rules. D1-A to D1-A (you can go down & play immediately). He has already redshirted right? Don't see it happening, although he may wish he could with no penalty. You have 5 years to play 4 unless you get an extra year with medical hardship, & those are tougher to get now.

Coaches can jump around with no penalty - players cannot. Unfair at times but the rules.

nobogey72
11-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Why would Keenum leave UH? He would have to sit out a year under D1 transfer rules. D1-A to D1-A (you can go down & play immediately). He has already redshirted right? Don't see it happening, although he may wish he could with no penalty. You have 5 years to play 4 unless you get an extra year with medical hardship, & those are tougher to get now.

Coaches can jump around with no penalty - players cannot. Unfair at times but the rules.

Why he would leave? It's very simple. The reason he went to UH to begin with was 100% due to the Keenum family's personal relationship with Art Briles. Keenum's dad coached at Tarlton State(in Stephenville) while Art was at Stephenville HS. They developed a friendship in Stephenville and it was a natural fit for Case. The fact that they had known each other for many years, Briles' style of play, Case's stengths, etc. I don't think that there is any way that Case would have gone there had it not been for Art and some of his staff that the Keenums had known for years. I have no idea if Art would want to take Case to Waco with him or not, or whether Case would give up the year to go if given the opportunity, but knowing personally all parties involved, it is a definite possiblilty.

wedo
11-29-2007, 06:28 PM

They were last year when they were conference Champs!

g$$
11-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Why he would leave? It's very simple. The reason he went to UH to begin with was 100% due to the Keenum family's personal relationship with Art Briles. Keenum's dad coached at Tarlton State(in Stephenville) while Art was at Stephenville HS. They developed a friendship in Stephenville and it was a natural fit for Case. The fact that they had known each other for many years, Briles' style of play, Case's stengths, etc. I don't think that there is any way that Case would have gone there had it not been for Art and some of his staff that the Keenums had known for years. I have no idea if Art would want to take Case to Waco with him or not, or whether Case would give up the year to go if given the opportunity, but knowing personally all parties involved, it is a definite possiblilty.

I knew there was a connection due to family ties. Houston paper did a story on it earlier in year. However, I don't see him giving up another year of eligibility to transfer. I could be wrong though.

What other offers did Case have coming out of HS? Was UH the best one?

nobogey72
11-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I knew there was a connection due to family ties. Houston paper did a story on it earlier in year. However, I don't see him giving up another year of eligibility to transfer. I could be wrong though.

What other offers did Case have coming out of HS? Was UH the best one?

Looking at it from a distance, I can see how it wouldn't look likely to you. Don't know about other offers coming out of HS. Those are closely guarded secrets around Sandiferville. The Keenums are not the kind that talk about offers and such, out of fear that it would come across as bragging. Very, very humble folks.

g$$
11-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Looking at it from a distance, I can see how it wouldn't look likely to you. Don't know about other offers coming out of HS. Those are closely guarded secrets around Sandiferville. The Keenums are not the kind that talk about offers and such, out of fear that it would come across as bragging. Very, very humble folks.

Just saying losing eligibility is a precious thing. You only have 5 to play 4. Tough deal for kids & transfers.

nobogey72
11-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Just saying losing eligibility is a precious thing. You only have 5 to play 4. Tough deal for kids & transfers.

Absolutely. And, it will be a tough call for them, assuming there is even a call to make.

griff
11-29-2007, 09:10 PM
This is a total surprise, as Briles is a UH grad and seemed to be committed to the long term success of UH - the ideal job for him coming from the high school ranks. Baylor is a coaches graveyard. This could hurt Briles over time. He would have been better off to stay at UH until a truly better head coaching job came knocking.

sahen
11-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by griff
This is a total surprise, as Briles is a UH grad and seemed to be committed to the long term success of UH - the ideal job for him coming from the high school ranks. Baylor is a coaches graveyard. This could hurt Briles over time. He would have been better off to stay at UH until a truly better head coaching job came knocking.

Briles isnt a UofH grad...he played football there, but left school after his parents were killed in a car wreck driving to one of his games...He graduated from Tech...if he turns Baylor aroundhe will have his pick of jobs, but Baylor is paying big time money to him to come coach....

Texasfootball2
11-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by griff

Ya, that $1.8 million a year instead of $800,000 , is really going to hurt him bad. I know it would me. He will win 6 or 7 next year and at least 7 the next. In the end he will end up at Tech, where he actually did graduate from and is only about 95 miles from his true home, Rule Texas.

griff
12-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Ya, that $1.8 million a year instead of $800,000 , is really going to hurt him bad. I know it would me. He will win 6 or 7 next year and at least 7 the next. In the end he will end up at Tech, where he actually did graduate from and is only about 95 miles from his true home, Rule Texas.

I wasn't talking about the money. :rolleyes: I'm saying he will get beat down with too many losses and it will hurt his chances of getting a better job away from Baylor once he's done there. As good of a coach as he is, I don't believe he'll average 7 wins a season at Baylor. He may still get the job at Tech in the end, but that's in large part because of his ties there. This will, however, hurt his chances of being a head coach at another big school if he doesn't land at Tech. It seems that he would have been better off waiting for a better HC job than Baylor. Other schools would have paid him $1.8 million or more, and he could have had a better potential "winning" environment to coach in instead of Baylor.

Thanks for pointing out that Briles didn't graduate at UH. 'Knew he played there, and just assumed he graduated there, too.