PDA

View Full Version : Barry Sanders

Stownhorse
11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
What ever happened to him? He was in his prime. He could have broken alot more records than what he did.

I also like the throwback uniforms in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHnTtYhCbX4&feature=related

District303aPastPlayer
11-27-2007, 11:11 AM
from what i can remember, he just didn't want to anymore.

Sweetwater Red
11-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
What ever happened to him? He was in his prime. He could have broken alot more records than what he did.

Greatest RB of all-time. :clap:

If he hadn't retired so early, Emmitt Smith wouldn't have even
sniffed the all time rushing record.

Technoredneck
11-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

If frogs had wings ...

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Maybe if barry had showed up in some play-off games the Lions might have actually had success as well

westtxfballfan
11-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Maybe if barry had showed up in some play-off games the Lions might have actually had success as well

or if you'd have flip-flopped Emmitt and Barry's teams, the Cowboys would have 4 straight superbowl wins and Detroit wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Sweetwater Red
11-27-2007, 11:31 AM

If Barry would have been running behind Dallas' O-line, Jerry
Jones would have more rings than fingers to put them on.:thinking:

Bull19
11-27-2007, 11:32 AM
best thing about barry is that he never celebrated selfishly in the endzone after scoring a touchdown

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
or if you'd have flip-flopped Emmitt and Barry's teams, the Cowboys would have 4 straight superbowl wins and Detroit wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

dont understand what you mean

but if your saying Sanders would have been better on Cowboys than Smith then I disagree and here is why

Sanders was an improv back..he fit the run and shoot to a tee because he picked what hole. Allowed him to work in space

Dallas's Offense was more straight ahead which worked better for Smith's running style of plunging thru the hole then making his move at the second level of the defense...Sanders was just not that style of back

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 11:38 AM

Read what I said above, I disagree

And I will add..Emmitt Smith might have been the best back in the last 20 years at picking up blitzes, which was HUGE to the Dallas O

And BEFORE Emmitt Smith, players like Nate Newton, Mark Stepnoski, John Gesek, Mark Tunei were NOT considered great prospects, or great talent..it was the O, and Smith's running ability behind them that made them great as much as them making Smith great

westtxfballfan
11-27-2007, 11:39 AM
dont understand what you mean

but if your saying Sanders would have been better on Cowboys than Smith then I disagree and here is why

Sanders was an improv back..he fit the run and shoot to a tee because he picked what hole. Allowed him to work in space

Dallas's Offense was more straight ahead which worked better for Smith's running style of plunging thru the hole then making his move at the second level of the defense...Sanders was just not that style of back

Sanders would have worked in any offense; that was just the offense Detroit was running at the time. It fit him well, no doubt, but we would have worked out just fine in Dallas' "more straight ahead" offense as well. See OSU Cowboy footage for proof.

Sweetwater Red
11-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Read what I said above, I disagree

And I will add..Emmitt Smith might have been the best back in the last 20 years at picking up blitzes, which was HUGE to the Dallas O

And BEFORE Emmitt Smith, players like Nate Newton, Mark Stepnoski, John Gesek, Mark Tunei were NOT considered great prospects, or great talent..it was the O, and Smith's running ability behind them that made them great as much as them making Smith great

While ya'll were using those rediculous draft picks of the Vikings
to get Aikman and Irvin etc., Detroit was drafting the likes of
Andre Ware.:thinking:

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
Sanders would have worked in any offense; that was just the offense Detroit was running at the time. It fit him well, no doubt, but we would have worked out just fine in Dallas' "more straight ahead" offense as well. See OSU Cowboy footage for proof.

Oh i am not saying he would have been bad, I just think their styles fit their offenses to a tee

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
While ya'll were using those rediculous draft picks of the Vikings
to get Aikman and Irvin etc., Detroit was drafting the likes of
Andre Ware.:thinking:

Dallas Got Irvin in 88..Aikman in 90 before the Vikes trade

Sweetwater Red
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Dallas Got Irvin in 88..Aikman in 90 before the Vikes trade

I found this.

http://min.scout.com/2/11653.html

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 11:59 AM
I found this.

http://min.scout.com/2/11653.html

Sorry I said it wrong..Aikman was drafted in 89 not 90

Sweetwater Red
11-27-2007, 12:09 PM

Those of us that aren't Cowboy fans tend to attribute all those
good players to that trade. The only names I recognized were
Smith,Maryland, and Woodson.:doh:

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Those of us that aren't Cowboy fans tend to attribute all those
good players to that trade. The only names I recognized were
Smith,Maryland, and Woodson.:doh:

Yes they do, and alot of non cowboy fans think the OL was a HOF line that Emmitt just stepped behind and they made him great, but only Erick Williams, and Larry Allen were considered top talent before they became Dallas Cowboys, and even both of them were not top 10 picks or anything like that

themsu97
11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
do not knock Ware... he was never given a shot... much like Favre in Atlanta... not that Ware is Favre but you understand...
Barry was not a good short yardage back... he averaged alot of runs for losses through his career... usually inside the 5 they would put another back in...
Sanders father always told him that Barry was not near as good as Walter or Jum Brown so retired in respect to Peyton...

Stownhorse
11-27-2007, 03:01 PM

I thought so beacause I knew Irvin arrived at Dallas a yr. before Aikman.

mrescape43
11-27-2007, 05:03 PM

:clap: :clap:

TexanFan4Life
11-27-2007, 05:05 PM

This thread brought to you by the year 2001.

big daddy russ
11-27-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm with TXB.

Was Sanders one of the top five pure runners of all time? Easily.

Did he do things that Reggie Bush can only dream of? Definitely.

Was he the most amazing running back I've ever seen? Without a doubt.

Could he run between the tackles? No way.

May be the best pure runner of all time, but definitely not the complete runner that Emmitt was. Barry was an east-west runner (the only successful one in the NFL in 40 years) while Emmitt was a north-south runner. Barry was taken out of the backfield a lot in the red zone, Emmitt excelled in the red zone. Emmitt was a tenacious blocker, Barry not so much. But for all the things Barry conceded to Emmitt, he made up for it by doing the impossible.

nobogey72
11-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I think you could argue which of those 2 was the best from now on. What was refreshing to me about Barry Sanders was his lack of wanting any personal attention. About the closest I've seen since him is Marvin Harrison. :clap: :clap: :clap:

29-3aFAN
11-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Jones would have more rings than fingers to put them on.:thinking: [/QUOTE]

I'm with you there. He would've put the yardage out of reach. Ecspecially if he would have stayed a few more years.

Highschoolfan78
11-28-2007, 03:41 AM

its kinda hard when you have sub-par QB's throwing the ball, along with sub-par everything else. Those playoff teams were horrible, besides him.

piratebg
11-28-2007, 05:35 AM
Barry Sanders is without a doubt one of the greatest, but he is not the greatest. He had the speed, he had the moves, but he lost that desire at the end, that need to be great. Great players keep playing until they cannot play anymore. He left before his time and that is why he is not the greatest, IMO.

TheDOCTORdre
11-28-2007, 08:15 AM
People always think Im stupid when I say this but I take Walter Payton over Smith and Sanders.

garciap77
11-28-2007, 08:25 AM
I thought so beacause I knew Irvin arrived at Dallas a yr. before Aikman.

You need to change the color of the Hippo to Red! To match you Mustang! lol Or maybe pink to match your end zone! Just kidding! I like that Hippo!:) :) :) :)

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
its kinda hard when you have sub-par QB's throwing the ball, along with sub-par everything else. Those playoff teams were horrible, besides him.
Actually, that team that had him, Scott Mitchell, Herman Moore and Brett Perriman was pretty darn good. I think that was 1994, but can't exactly remember.

Mitchell threw for 4k yards a 30-someodd TD's, Moore was one of the best receivers in the league, a pretty good o-line was led by Lomas Brown, and they had an alright defense. Nothing spectacular, but definitely not bad. One of the best LB corps in the NFL plus DB Bennie Blades, pass-rushing DT Robert Porcher, and DE Henry Thomas.

If they wouldn't have given up 500 turnovers in their second-round game against the Eagles, they might have made it farther.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Actually, that team that had him, Scott Mitchell, Herman Moore and Brett Perriman was pretty darn good. I think that was 1994, but can't exactly remember.

Mitchell threw for 4k yards a 30-someodd TD's, Moore was one of the best receivers in the league, a pretty good o-line was led by Lomas Brown, and they had an alright defense. Nothing spectacular, but definitely not bad. One of the best LB corps in the NFL plus DB Bennie Blades, pass-rushing DT Robert Porcher, and DE Henry Thomas.

If they wouldn't have given up 500 turnovers in their second-round game against the Eagles, they might have made it farther.

You forgot MLB Chris Speilman. He's the only thing good to come
out of OSU...ever.:D

Also, Lomas Brown "guaransheed" a victory over the Eagles.:doh: :(

TMer25
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
People always think Im stupid when I say this but I take Walter Payton over Smith and Sanders.

That's how I feel about it.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:33 AM
You forgot MLB Chris Speilman. He's the only thing good to come
out of OSU...ever.:D

Also, Lomas Brown "guaransheed" a victory over the Eagles.:doh: :(
ROFL. I remember that.

And that entire LB corps was pretty good. That was the year Stephen Boyd was a rookie, and Spielman, Tracy Scroggins and Mike Johnson were the veterans. Hell of a group.