PDA

View Full Version : I know we (UT) lost to the Aggies but (For UT fans only)

Phil C
11-27-2007, 11:02 AM
DON'T CRITICIZE THE COACHING STAFF!!!

:mad:

Sweetwater Red
11-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
DON'T CRITICIZE THE COACHING STAFF!!!

:mad:

When it's all said and done, they are the ones held accountable.
If not them then who?:thinking:

Gobbler Fan
11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm guessing all those top 5 Recruiting classes meant nothing ....your right dont blame the Coaches whatsoever :D

Aesculus gilmus
11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
The players do not get paid. The coaches do.

I'm sorry, but Mack Brown reminds me more of a game show host than a football coach.

He rode Vince Young to a lifetime contract, though. Gotta hand it to him for recruiting VY.

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
The players do not get paid. The coaches do.

I'm sorry, but Mack Brown reminds me more of a game show host than a football coach.

He rode Vince Young to a lifetime contract, though. Gotta hand it to him for recruiting VY.

yea those other ten win seasons did not help at all

rockdale80
11-27-2007, 11:21 AM
1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2 (South) W 38–11 Cotton 16 15
1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1 (South) L 27–6 Cotton 23 21
2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2 (South) L 35–30 Holiday 12 12
2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1 (South) W 47–43 Holiday 5 5
2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 1 – T (South) W 35–20 Cotton 7 6
2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2 (South) L 28–20 Holiday 11 12
2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2 (South) W 38–37 Rose † 4 5
2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1 (South) W 41–38 Rose † 1 1
2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2 (South) W 26–24 Alamo 13 13
2007 Texas 9–3 5–3 2 (South) TBA

Record to date of 102-25 at Texas.

Weird:confused:

michaelp23
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
He can't beat Oklahoma except with Vince Young. He's lost to A & M two years in a row, including this year when they got outcoached by a coaching staff that got fired as soon as the game was over. And they always seen to slip up and lose to a lesser team (Kansas State the last two years). Can he win the big one without Vince? We'll see, but I doubt it.:( :( :(

rockdale80
11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23
He can't beat Oklahoma except with Vince Young. He's lost to A & M two years in a row, including this year when they got outcoached by a coaching staff that got fired as soon as the game was over. And they always seen to slip up and lose to a lesser team (Kansas State the last two years). Can he win the big one without Vince? We'll see, but I doubt it.:( :( :(

I personally dont care what anyone thinks about Mack or UT. The numbers dont lie.

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I personally dont care what anyone thinks about Mack or UT. The numbers dont lie.

I agree

People for some reason forget where Texas was before Brown..They want to mention all the recruiting classes..Well

A Brown plays apart in that, so it should not be a negative to him
B. recruiting class rankings dont guarantee anything

If in the Big 12 South over Brown's tenure multiple teams were winning it then I would be more concerned, but basically it has been Texas and OU since he started.

Simple fact is folks, Texas cannot win it every year, but Mack Brown for the most part has had them in the running till the last couple of weeks ever year

Some say he loses to many "jump up" games like K-State..Well OU loses them as well( see OSU two years in a row, Colorado this year, Texas Tech two years ago and this year)

It happens, it is a part of football, teams dont go 12-0 every year

JasperDog94
11-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
He can't beat Oklahoma except with Vince Young. They didn't have Vince last year when they beat OU.:doh: :nerd: :nerd:

Phil C
11-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I agree

People for some reason forget where Texas was before Brown..They want to mention all the recruiting classes..Well

If in the Big 12 South over Brown's tenure multiple teams were winning it then I would be more concerned, but basically it has been Texas and OU since he started.

Simple fact is folks, Texas cannot win it every year, but Mack Brown for the most part has had them in the running till the last couple of weeks ever year

Some say he loses to many "jump up" games like K-State..Well OU loses them as well( see OSU two years in a row, Colorado this year, Texas Tech two years ago and this year)

Tx is right. No one can win everything all the time. And recuiting classing rankings are more for interest than actual predictions of results many times. One doesn't know the future. The factors are injuries, keeping up grades, attrition and other things that happen. Parity is coming into a reality now. More high schools are producing better players with better coaching and better facilities at even the smaller high schools. Plus scholarship limits is a factor. There are enough good players to go around more which is especially brought out after smaller division schools upsetting or nearly upsetting bigger schools this year.

Sweetwater Red
11-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
I'm guessing all those top 5 Recruiting classes meant nothing

Not when you lead the nation in number of arrested players from those
recruiting classes.:thinking:

JasperDog94
11-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
recruiting classes.:thinking: Lack of discipline, graduation, and injuries have really hurt the horns this year.

Big Papa
11-27-2007, 08:01 PM
recruiting classes.:thinking:

link?:D

Adidas410s
11-27-2007, 08:07 PM
When it's all said and done, they are the ones held accountable.
If not them then who?:thinking:

umm...maybe the players actually on the field???

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:16 PM
1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2 (South) W 38–11 Cotton 16 15
1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1 (South) L 27–6 Cotton 23 21
2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2 (South) L 35–30 Holiday 12 12
2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1 (South) W 47–43 Holiday 5 5
2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 1 – T (South) W 35–20 Cotton 7 6
2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2 (South) L 28–20 Holiday 11 12
2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2 (South) W 38–37 Rose † 4 5
2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1 (South) W 41–38 Rose † 1 1
2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2 (South) W 26–24 Alamo 13 13
2007 Texas 9–3 5–3 2 (South) TBA

Record to date of 102-25 at Texas.

Weird:confused:

Yes, but 19-6 without VY & two 2nd tier bowls. That is almost 1/4 of total losses (with bowl game to come). Clearly the program is slipping some & I expect Mack to make some changes esp. on defensive side of ball. No need to panic, but Horns should be concerned.

If A&M only cared about beating Texas like the old days, then Fran would not have been fired after winning 2 straight over the Horns.

Mack still has exactly 1 conference title & 1 NC in entire career as HC - both in 2005 with VY. Those #s do not lie. He is more politician/recruiter than game day coach, & he better upgrade his staff or more losses are to come. You can't live off fictional recruiting #s forever.

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I personally dont care what anyone thinks about Mack or UT. The numbers dont lie. True but they are deceiving.

Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Colorado, and the out of conference opponents make those 10 win seasons look bad.

1 big 12 championship
1 National Championship

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
True but they are deceiving.

Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Colorado, and the out of conference opponents make those 10 win seasons look bad.

1 big 12 championship
1 National Championship

We agree Blue.

And don't forget Texas got a break this year with the schedule not having to play Kansas or Mizzou. Of course Kansas did not have to play Tech, Texas, or OU too.

You should win 9-10 games EVERY year at Texas. Then mix in the banner year when everything falls right (11+ wins). Mack has some serious decisions to make regarding his staff.

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by g$$

And don't forget Texas got a break this year with the schedule not having to play Kansas or Mizzou. Of course Kansas did not have to play Tech, Texas, or OU too.

Hypothetical situation. You can't predict how those games would go.

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by g$$
We agree Blue.

You should win 9-10 games EVERY year at Texas. Then mix in the banner year when everything falls right (11+ wins). Mack has some serious decisions to make regarding his staff.

uhh that is basically what he has done at Texas

And if 10 wins were so easy, why is Texas the only team to do it 6 straight years?

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Hypothetical situation. You can't predict how those games would go.

I would be willing to bet Texas loses at least 1 of those - esp. Mizzou. Texas just was not that good all year guys. Look at the #s esp. on defense. They dominated Rice & Iowa State (Baylor game was fairly close until late). That's it - lots of close games & hanging on to beat inferior teams (Ark St., NEB, etc.).

Colt threw like 18 INTs in 12 games, etc. Injuries on O-line & porous secondary. Mediocre team beaten by Kansas St. & A&M.

But wonderful fictional recruiting #s! :)

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm just saying with the talent that texas recruits they should have better production offensively and defensively. The coordinators get paid $375,000 a year to produce. At times during the years the Texas offense looks horrible and most is attributed to the 7 yard bombs that GD calls and not openining it up. The defense ranks in the bottom statistically and that just shouldn't cut it at a program like texas.

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm just saying with the talent that texas recruits they should have better production offensively and defensively. The coordinators get paid $375,000 a year to produce. At times during the years the Texas offense looks horrible and most is attributed to the 7 yard bombs that GD calls and not openining it up. The defense ranks in the bottom statistically and that just shouldn't cut it at a program like texas.

That sounds great..But young talent is just that YOUNG talent..Not every Freshman or Soph is going to walk onto the field and start playing top notch football.

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:32 PM
uhh that is basically what he has done at Texas

And if 10 wins were so easy, why is Texas the only team to do it 6 straight years?

Never said it was easy TXB. Did say it is expected at Texas esp. now with 12 regular season games.

Bottom line is 1 conference & 1 NC in CAREER overall. Yes, OU & others are very good but that does not explain it all. Bob Stoops does it...Mack shares in the blame for not having his team ready to play every week (Kansas St. & A&M come to mind the past 2 years).

VY willed them to win by his sheer force & greatness at the college level many times. He is long gone.

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 08:33 PM
That sounds great..But young talent is just that YOUNG talent..Not every Freshman or Soph is going to walk onto the field and start playing top notch football. True, but Macks loyalty is rediculous. No way that Ryan Palmer should be starting above Deon Beasley. No way should Killebrew, Bobino, and Derry be starting in front of Muckelroy, Kindle, and Norton.

Texas should be much improved next year thanks to graduation of some of those seniors who are not very good that started because of Mack's loyalty.

I also don't like Mack's fear in playing young guys either.

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 08:34 PM
True, but Macks loyalty is rediculous. No way that Ryan Palmer should be starting above Deon Beasley. No way should Killebrew, Bobino, and Derry be starting in front of Muckelroy, Kindle, and Norton.

Texas should be much improved next year thanks to graduation of some of those seniors who are not very good that started because of Mack's loyalty.

I aree about the loyalty part, it SEEMS like the wrong trio of LBs were playing the majority of time..BUT I also did not attend practice and see how they performed in pass coverage and those type of things

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
That sounds great..But young talent is just that YOUNG talent..Not every Freshman or Soph is going to walk onto the field and start playing top notch football.

That's a copout. Texas also has lots of juniors & seniors right? 85 on scholarship! If not, then where are all those fantastic recruits? Weak argument TXB, you are smarter than that.

Coaching that talent & making them better is what good coaches do. 5 star recruits mean nothing without on-field production.

Blue is actually being very objective & rational here discussing his team.

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Doesn't talent translate better on the field than experience? Talen can make up for the mistakes.

wedo
11-27-2007, 08:38 PM

Not making excuses but Texas was pretty young this year. Should be a lot better next year, but serious changes need to be made esp DC and OC. I heard someone say on here a while back that Davis might be looked at for the SMU job. Great lets go AFter Applewhite. I also think Texas kinda got what they deserved defensively when they basically promoted Akina and didnt Hire a top DC. All in all changes do need to be made Texas really doesn't have a quality win over a top 25 team all year!

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Doesn't talent translate better on the field than experience? Talen can make up for the mistakes.

In a perfect world you have both!

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
In a perfect world you have both! Scott Derry is far from perfect! :clap: :D :D :cool:

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That's a copout. Texas also has lots of juniors & seniors right? 85 on scholarship! If not, then where are all those fantastic recruits? Weak argument TXB, you are smarter than that.

Coaching that talent & making them better is what good coaches do. 5 star recruits mean nothing without on-field production.

Blue is actually being very objective & rational here discussing his team.

ahh yes time to pull out the weak argument, your smarter than that catch phrase

And please explain how I am not having a rational and objective argument?

Fact is injuries forced the OL to be VERY young..great for next year, not great for this year

The LBs, as great as the young guns were, they also were injured off and on all year

Again I am in no way saying UT coaches are perfect and I am happy, but I am not going to go to the extreme on the other side either

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Scott Derry is far from perfect! :clap: :D :D :cool:

Agree, should not have been starting. I loved him out there getting trucked! Horrible against run & ok in space.

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agree, should not have been starting. I loved him out there getting trucked! Horrible against run & ok in space. I don't know what's funnier him gettin trucked or him getting beat to the edge everytime and doing is gay little run where he pumps his arms oh so fast.

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:45 PM
ahh yes time to pull out the weak argument, your smarter than that catch phrase

And please explain how I am not having a rational and objective argument?

Fact is injuries forced the OL to be VERY young..great for next year, not great for this year

The LBs, as great as the young guns were, they also were injured off and on all year

Again I am in no way saying UT coaches are perfect and I am happy, but I am not going to go to the extreme on the other side either

So with all the great recruits, where was the upperclassman depth? Everybody has injuries. Where was the player development after years in program? No excuse for that at a place like Texas. One goes down, another is ready to play.

You are making excuses & not stating the true facts. That is why I said that. Mack & staff did a poor job & heads should roll.

Not a catch phrase either, just the truth.

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't know what's funnier him gettin trucked or him getting beat to the edge everytime and doing is gay little run where he pumps his arms oh so fast.

Nice mullet too!

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by g$$
So with all the great recruits, where was the upperclassman depth? Everybody has injuries. Where was the player development after years in program? No excuse for that at a place like Texas. One goes down, another is ready to play.

You are making excuses & not stating the true facts. That is why I said that. Mack & staff did a poor job & heads should roll.

Not a catch phrase either, just the truth.

The O-Line was already young to begin the season..lost 3/5 of the starters from it..Yes there we Srs this year like Tony Hills, but then the injury bug hit

G Cedric Dockery - Senior

C Dallas Griffin - Senior

T Adam Ulatoski -Junior

T Tony Hills - Senior

OL Tray Allen - Freshman

Basic OL to start season..this was the starters for A&M

Right Tackle 74 Adam Ulatoski
Right Guard 55 Cedric Dockery
Center 65 Buck Burnette
Left Guard 52 Charlie Tanner
Left Tackle 71 Chris Hall

So an Oline already replacing 3/5 of starters then went thru ANOTHER 3/5 losses inside the season

That kind of attrition to one group will affect almost every team in the nation when it comes to depth

Add in the injuries to Sweed, to Aaron Lewis, To Kindle, to Muckelroy Orakpo, Pittman being out then never able to work his way back into the system

Now in saying that..the one place I am frustrated is in the secondary..That is a position IMO that the recruiting/development ball has been dropped..but then have to realize 3 NFLers came from the 2005 one and back to back Thorpe Winners as well, but I still feel like that position has not been filled talent wise like I thought it would be

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 09:06 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how Bradford does next year without that line.

Starting line next year will probably be

LT - Tray Allan
LG - Michael Huey/Chris Hall
C - Buck Burnett/Chris Hall
RG - Charlie Tanner/Michael Huey
RT - Ulatoski

g$$
11-27-2007, 09:11 PM
The O-Line was already young to begin the season..lost 3/5 of the starters from it..Yes there we Srs this year like Tony Hills, but then the injury bug hit

G Cedric Dockery - Senior

C Dallas Griffin - Senior

T Adam Ulatoski -Junior

T Tony Hills - Senior

OL Tray Allen - Freshman

Basic OL to start season..this was the starters for A&M

Right Tackle 74 Adam Ulatoski
Right Guard 55 Cedric Dockery
Center 65 Buck Burnette
Left Guard 52 Charlie Tanner
Left Tackle 71 Chris Hall

So an Oline already replacing 3/5 of starters then went thru ANOTHER 3/5 losses inside the season

That kind of attrition to one group will affect almost every team in the nation when it comes to depth

Add in the injuries to Sweed, to Aaron Lewis, To Kindle, to Muckelroy Orakpo, Pittman being out then never able to work his way back into the system

Now in saying that..the one place I am frustrated is in the secondary..That is a position IMO that the recruiting/development ball has been dropped..but then have to realize 3 NFLers came from the 2005 one and back to back Thorpe Winners as well, but I still feel like that position has not been filled talent wise like I thought it would be

True freshman & stud recruit Tray Allen was not slated to start. Play yes, but not start. He got whipped in A&M game too. And in HS All Star Game by Sweeny's Tank Carder (MVP of game). He should have redshirted.

Ulatoski, Hills, Griffin, Dockery, Tanner, & Hall were all in the mix to start before year.

Texas had 3 guys drafted last year as DBs (Ross, M. Grifin, C. Griffin) & T. Brown is in the NFL too. Still had a poor secondary then too. Is it Akina or someone else?

Point is everybody has injuries. Yes, Texas was hard hit in certain areas. But Texas has recruited very well, so where is the depth & development? That is the problem I would have with staff right now.

All I am saying is you can't put it all on injuries & youth. That reeks of excuse making. 85 scholarships - top classes - something has to give. I see Mack making changes on staff soon.

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Texas had 3 guys drafted last year as DBs (Ross, M. Grifin, C. Griffin) & T. Brown is in the NFL too. Still had a poor secondary then too. Is it Akina or someone else?

Actually Cedric Griffin was the year before.

Tarrell Brown, Michael Griffin, and Aaron Ross were the 3 who were drafted last year.

Definately coaching.

g$$
11-27-2007, 09:13 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how Bradford does next year without that line.

Starting line next year will probably be

LT - Tray Allan
LG - Michael Huey/Chris Hall
C - Buck Burnett/Chris Hall
RG - Charlie Tanner/Michael Huey
RT - Ulatoski

Blue - OU only loses like 4 starters overall barring early NFL entry.

Right? I saw that somewhere. Line should still be huge & very good.

g$$
11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Actually Cedric Griffin was the year before.

Tarrell Brown, Michael Griffin, and Aaron Ross were the 3 who were drafted last year.

Definately coaching.

Thanks for correction, but you nailed it anyway. Has to fall somewhat on coaching if guys can play in NFL but struggled as a group in college.

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Blue - OU only loses like 4 starters overall barring early NFL entry.

Right? I saw that somewhere. Line should still be huge & very good. Crap, you're right, they are all juniors. Maybe a couple will leave early. Preferably Duke Robinson and the LT.

michaelp23
11-27-2007, 10:59 PM
I agree

You sound like a Tech fan. They're perfectly happy that they went 8-4 this year and will probably end up playing in the Gallery Furniture Bowl or something worse....

We hold our program to a higher standard. The day Mack or anybody else starts being okay with the season they just had is the day they need to leave!:mad: :mad:

GoStafford
11-28-2007, 12:40 AM
yea those other ten win seasons did not help at all ten win seasons are crap if they don't get you a championship game

Phil C
11-28-2007, 10:45 AM
UT did have to play Nebraska this year. And don't forget that Nebraska was a powerful team in the 1990s winning several NCs.

And don't forget TCU. They were National Champions in football in 1938 and had the Heisman Trophy winner in Davy O'Brian.