PDA

View Full Version : Black Coaches Association not happy with A&M...

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Said A&M should have interviewed a Black candidate for job, even if as a token gesture. How about other minorities too BCA, not just Blacks?

Article in USA Today paper & reported by ESPN. Maybe Al Sharpton can stop by campus too.

I don't agree with their public stance, but not good publicity for any school.

Instead of talking about color, how about most qualified candidate? To me just interviewing a minority for the sake of doing it is a slap in the face to that person.

injuredinmelee
11-27-2007, 07:55 AM
the BCA is being racist arent they just in organizing themselves as an exclusive organization based on race?

Gobbla2001
11-27-2007, 07:57 AM
A&M already had in mind who they wanted to have as their new HC... they went after that dude and that's that... any other interviewing etc... is just a waste of time and resources...

BUT, instead of sitting here and talking crap about the situation why don't we talk about what African American coach you would like to see coaching your team?

Of course Sylvester Croom, the man has done great in the SEC...

injuredinmelee
11-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
A&M already had in mind who they wanted to have as their new HC... they went after that dude and that's that... any other interviewing etc... is just a waste of time and resources...

BUT, instead of sitting here and talking crap about the situation why don't we talk about what African American coach you would like to see coaching your team?

Of course Sylvester Croom, the man has done great in the SEC...

why dont we just talk about who we think is the best person to lead our team and leave race out of it?

Gobbla2001
11-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
why dont we just talk about who we think is the best person to lead our team and leave race out of it?

or we could do that...

g$$
11-27-2007, 08:06 AM

Exactly my point.

I don't care if he/she is green with yellow polka dots if that person conducts himself/herself the right way & wins games.

big daddy russ
11-27-2007, 08:39 AM
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that deserve any sort of top-level consideration would be Kevin Sumlin, Charlie Strong, Sly Croom, and Joker Phillips IMO. Don't think any of those guys were what Byrne was looking for when he began looking for his next coach.

Sumlin, Strong= Both have A&M ties and Sumlin was apparently one of the backup choices, but neither has HC experience and Sherman was a stronger hire.
Croom= Some D-I success, but not too terribly strong of a track record.
Phillips= If the Ags were looking for the spread, they would've gone after Jeff Tedford first.

rockdale80
11-27-2007, 08:58 AM
How is this country going to learn to keep race out of decisions like this when they are required to keep race in it? Some of the people that want "equality" are the biggest hypocrites....
:rolleyes:

88bobcats
11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Maybe Sherman will bring Dat Nguyen in as a linebacker coach.....

Surely there are some Polynesian guys out their that could coach the offensive line.....

I agree 3ADownLowers.....though I don't like Mike Sherman for the job, he already had TAMU experience, and Byrne obviously knew who he wanted.

Token interviews are more insulting, and the only way TAMU could've avoided criticism would have been to hire a minority coach.

michaelp23
11-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
How is this country going to learn to keep race out of decisions like this when they are required to keep race in it? Some of the people that want "equality" are the biggest hypocrites....

Well said....:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
11-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Let's be politically correct there rockdale80.

pirate4state
11-27-2007, 10:50 AM
:dispntd: :speech: :helpme: :doh:

Bearkat
11-27-2007, 11:59 AM
the BCA is being racist arent they just in organizing themselves as an exclusive organization based on race?

Yes, having an organization for a particular race is indeed racist. There should be only one coaches association, no matter what race.

JasperDog94
11-27-2007, 12:04 PM
:rolleyes: Couldn't have said it better myself.:clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
11-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I never knew there was such a thing!!

So, I guess we have a White Coaches Association, a Hispanic Coaches Association, etc. too???

rockdale80
11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

So, I guess we have a White Coaches Association, a Hispanic Coaches Association, etc. too???

No, a white coaches association would be racist.

JasperDog94
11-27-2007, 12:32 PM

So, I guess we have a White Coaches Association, a Hispanic Coaches Association, etc. too??? Silly mom....that would be racist.

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
You have to interview at least one black candidate even if you already have a guy picked out. That doesn't mean you have to give them the job or anything.

kaorder1999
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
this all disturbs me!

Ranger Mom
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
No, a white coaches association would be racist.

Originally posted by JasperDog94
Silly mom....that would be racist.

Ya think???:doh:

I'm just gonna shut my mouth, because I have a HUGE problem with "reverse racism" which, IMO, is the most dominant type of racism today!!!

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 12:40 PM
All it is, is equal opportunity.

Ranger Mom
11-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
You have to interview at least one black candidate even if you already have a guy picked out. That doesn't mean you have to give them the job or anything.

I think G$$ summed that up the best for me:

Originally posted by g$$

Instead of talking about color, how about most qualified candidate? To me just interviewing a minority for the sake of doing it is a slap in the face to that person.

pirate4state
11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Ya think???:doh:

I'm just gonna shut my mouth, because I have a HUGE problem with "reverse racism" which, IMO, is the most dominant type of racism today!!!

I agree. Race is just to touchy of a subject. I think there is a rule against discussing it. :nerd: :D

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I agree. Race is just to touchy of a subject. I think there is a rule against discussing it. :nerd: :D Viva Mexicano!
http://particleclothing.com/particle/images/pancho_villa.gif

Fotbol
11-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Personally, I think a Black Coach @ aTm is like a White Coach @ Grambling State......Just ain't gon happen!

JHS_c/o_06'
11-27-2007, 02:23 PM
i got a good chuckle out of all of this.

Fotbol
11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Tye Willingham Notre Dome.............enuff said
Look at the Irish now, Ho! Ho! Ho!

Old Tiger
11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Tye Willingham Notre Dome.............enuff said
Look at the Irish now, Ho! Ho! Ho! They did great under Tye's recruits fotbol.

sweetwater07
11-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Said A&M should have interviewed a Black candidate for job, even if as a token gesture. How about other minorities too BCA, not just Blacks?

Article in USA Today paper & reported by ESPN. Maybe Al Sharpton can stop by campus too.

I don't agree with their public stance, but not good publicity for any school.

boo freakin hoo

WylieBulldog92
11-27-2007, 05:44 PM

Actually....that's just NFL

Anyway, my thoughts on the subject are much like what I heard on Mike and Mike this morning. If they already had their guy picked out fine they shouldn't have to interview a black coach. But if they were to seek another coach because he didn't sign for head coach to the team, then you should have to interview a minority (not just black) coach, 7 black head coaches out of 119 is a joke...

Emerson1
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
7 black head coaches out of 119 is a joke...
How many black head coaches are out there though? I doubt there are alot just sitting on the coach at home because the University President wanted a white guy instead.

rockdale80
11-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Nope. Jobs should be awarded based on color and not merit. :rolleyes:

charlie
11-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Why we cant all just get along ?????

Bull19
11-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Personally, I think a Black Coach @ aTm is like a White Coach @ Grambling State......Just ain't gon happen!

exactly! do you think grambling would interview a white guy? no

do you think aTm would interview a black coach if he was qualified for the job? sure

3afan
11-27-2007, 06:54 PM

uhh, here ya go ...
http://www.gsutigers.com/ssp/mftbl-coaches?id=39

Bull19
11-27-2007, 06:59 PM
head coach

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:43 PM

Obviously you don't - A&M did not. I have read where it is highly recommended not required. The NFL & MLB are trying to enforce this too.

Token interviews are a waste of time & a slap in the face to that person.

Good post Rockdale80.

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
boo freakin hoo

Huh?

Big Papa
11-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Huh?

he was just making reference to all the crying about it going on..
boo hoo=boo freakin hoo

i think:D

Gobbla2001
11-27-2007, 08:09 PM
I will not say that racism doesn't exist, though... in A&M's case? I will say no... they knew who they wanted and that's that...

7 black head coaches out of 119? How many Hispanic ones? why isn't anyone worried about those guys

:(

eagle40
11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Would anyone be up-in-arms if a white coach had not been interviewed for the job? The answer is no. Double standards piss me off.

coach
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I will not say that racism doesn't exist, though... in A&M's case? I will say no... they knew who they wanted and that's that...

7 black head coaches out of 119? How many Hispanic ones? why isn't anyone worried about those guys

:(

bc there are plenty of hispanics that coach futbol...

i dont understand why people are so concerned about who is dominating a sport.......peole dont complain about hispanics and soccer or blacks in basketball...why isn't their a rule that every nba team must draft at least one white person or every baseball team has to interview a hispanic? and the blacks are complaining about how many coaches there are? what about how many white running backs or db's in the game? and truly if a black guy really wants the job then he needs to applyu for the job...honestly how many black coaches do you think was intrested in a job like a&m and especially ole miss?????/ this is all hypocritical and reverse racism im sorry if i offended anyone and if i did pm me and i will personally apologize to you...

Bull19
11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by coach

i dont understand why people are so concerned about who is dominating a sport.......peole dont complain about hispanics and soccer or blacks in basketball...why isn't their a rule that every nba team must draft at least one white person or every baseball team has to interview a hispanic? and the blacks are complaining about how many coaches there are? what about how many white running backs or db's in the game? and truly if a black guy really wants the job then he needs to applyu for the job...honestly how many black coaches do you think was intrested in a job like a&m and especially ole miss?????/ this is all hypocritical and reverse racism im sorry if i offended anyone and if i did pm me and i will personally apologize to you...

ditto that.

Bull Butter
11-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Did Ole Miss interview any Black coaches before they hired Nutt?

Bull19
11-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Did Ole Miss interview any Black coaches before they hired Nutt?

i dont believe so.

g$$
11-27-2007, 10:09 PM

Are you calling Deep South schools like Ole Miss or Texas A&M racist in year 2007? Any qualified Black coach was interested. How many Black HCs has Texas had or interviewed? Or others? Slippery slope right there...A&M had a Black HC in basketball named Melvin Watkins who failed & was replaced by BCG.

A&M just may hire 2 Black coordinators (Holland & Sumlin??).

Miss St. has a Black HC now = Sylvester Croom

Your premise was fine, but calling out schools? Not accurate.

rockdale80
11-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Are you calling Deep South schools like Ole Miss or Texas A&M racist in year 2007? Any qualified Black coach was interested. How many Black HCs has Texas had or interviewed? Or others? Slippery slope right there...A&M had a Black HC in basketball named Melvin Watkins who failed & was replaced by BCG.

Agreed. Where did Watkins end up. At Consol his son was a beast on the hard court. Where did he end up? I though Watkins was at Mizzou as an assistant.

g$$
11-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Agreed. Where did Watkins end up. At Consol his son was a beast on the hard court. Where did he end up? I though Watkins was at Mizzou as an assistant.

Still at Mizzou last I knew, but not sure now. Son followed him there but never became more than reserve. Good man who tried hard, just did not work out.

piratebg
11-28-2007, 12:16 AM
What a load of crap. Are they supposed to interview one woman too just make the other gender happy as well?

coach
11-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by g$$

i didnt call any schools racist i just said was there any black coaches intrested in the job

g$$
11-28-2007, 02:35 PM
and truly if a black guy really wants the job then he needs to applyu for the job...honestly how many black coaches do you think was intrested in a job like a&m and especially ole miss??

Yes you did, implied right there above.

Lots of Blacks & others were interested in the job. That's why the BCA is raising such a stink. It's a great job & pays well. You specifically mentioned A&M & Ole Miss. Slippery slope going down that road.

And like I said, A&M had a Black HC in basketball a few years ago. To my knowledge, I can't name one Black HC at Texas in any sport. Just using that as a reference to other schools. Miss State has one right now - Croom in football.

EDIT: I forgot Bev Kearney in Women's Track at Texas. Very good one too.

3afan
11-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes you did, implied right there above.

Lots of Blacks & others were interested in the job. That's why the BCA is raising such a stink. It's a great job & pays well. You specifically mentioned A&M & Ole Miss. Slippery slope going down that road.

And like I said, A&M had a Black HC in basketball a few years ago. To my knowledge, I can't name one Black HC at Texas in any sport. Just using that as a reference to other schools. Miss State has one right now - Croom in football.

the womans T&F coach is black ...

Daddy D 11
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
who cares about any of this, it is the universities job to hire WHO IS BEST for the job.

no matter who it is, it is their own choice considering they are the ones that are going to fork out the huge contracts that coaches get these days.

for this to even be brought up is preposterous

g$$
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
the womans T&F coach is black ...

Bev Kearney, my bad. My niece runs track there (All Big 12) so I sure screwed that up. Nice lady who has overcome a horrible car wreck.

Thanks, & she has been very successful too. She is the only one I believe at Texas.

sweetwater07
11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
he was just making reference to all the crying about it going on..
boo hoo=boo freakin hoo

i think:D

correct, its ridiculus how ppl cry over race issues these days..

eagles_victory
11-28-2007, 02:57 PM
[B]

why isn't their a rule that every nba team must draft at least one white person B] that makes no sense its not even close to what they are saying. They just want A&M to consider a black coach what you are saying is an NBA team has to spend usually half of its picks on a white player. Not even close to the same thing. As G$$ said be careful where you walk that slope is pretty slippery and im sure there were a few other fallacies in your statement

CenTexSports
11-28-2007, 03:01 PM
on Pardon the Interruption yesterday, they made the point that the purpose of requiring the schools to interview a black applicant was to not only get a black head coach hired but to give more black coaches the opportunity to get their name out and to give them experience in the interviewing process.

alaskacat
11-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Hmmm kinda sounds like a democratic stance don't you think.?

But since we are on minorities...when you add up all the minorities, black, brown, red ,green,women, double minorities=non white women.... the white Caucasian male is still the minority. So why quibble about it.!

I still say hire the best person to fit your system, none of the above should even be considered.

rockdale80
11-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by alaskacat
Hmmm kinda sounds like a democratic stance don't you think.?

And what is that supposed to mean? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pirate4state
11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
alrighty.......say goodnight Irene!