PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Area: Sweetwater vs Denison

kepdawg
11-26-2007, 08:57 PM
The 1995 area round game bewteen Sweetwater and Denison featured two highly touted running backs.

Shaun Carr of Sweetwater and Reggie Hunt of Denison.

Hunt won the battle of the running backs and Denison won the game.

Whatever happened to Carr?

Here's an article about Hunt.

LINK (http://www.heralddemocrat.com/articles/2007/11/26/sports/doc474a5ee958c00235779524.txt)

Hunt helps Riders win CFL title By Ed Klajman
Special to the Herald Democrat

TORONTO — Reggie Hunt will be heading back to Denison in a couple of weeks to celebrate a late Thanksgiving and early Christmas — and now there will be something extra to rejoice as the Saskatchewan Roughriders defeated the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 23-19 Sunday night to claim the Canadian Football League title.

It means Hunt will be showing off a shiny new championship ring when he gets home. “It’s going to be way better than it was last year,” he said, referring to his brother Aaron being able to show off a championship ring at Reggie’s expense. “My brother put his ring up on display and now I can put mine up there too.”

The 30-year-old, who is in his seventh season with the Roughriders, now lives year-round in Regina, the capital of the Canadian prairie province.

In the off-season, he works in the Human Resources department of a telecommunications company. He’s also very active with a number of charities and community project. As a result, he doesn’t get a chance to go home to Denison as often as he would like, so he’ll savor every minute of this upcoming visit.

“I’m just looking forward to going back home and relaxing — being around people that have watched me grow up. I can’t wait to get there — I’ll see my mom, of course — and my family. And all my friends too -- I’m really excited to see all those guys. I’ll also go visit Denison High School, which I haven’t done in a long time.”

A humble Hunt said he “is just proud to be a member of this team right now,” especially a great defense that shut Winnipeg down for almost the entire game.

Hunt added that the ring is the highlight of his career — and a great pay off after years of hard work learning to play linebacker after spending his collegiate years as a defensive back.

“Oh man I’m so happy I can’t even explain the way I feel right now. It’s so surreal I can’t even explain it.”

Richie Hall, Saskatchewan’s longtime defensive coordinator, is particularly happy for the CFL Western Division All-Star. He’s seen up-close the maturation of “The Reaper” as both a player and a person.

“The bottom line is you always talk about how you improve and one of the things is being consistent at what you do” explained Hall. “Over the last number of weeks, especially over this playoff drive, Reggie’s played at a very high level. He’s made the ordinary play. He’s made the big play. He’s been the emotional leader. And he’s been the leader by example and by words. This is when you want your leaders and you want your veterans to rise to the occasion and that’s exactly what he’s done.”

Hall adds that the best may still be to come for Hunt.

“He brings big plays as far as sacks, big hits. He’s one of those inspirational guys — people can feed off him. He brings a lot of excitement. He’s very athletic. He flies around and he wants to accept a lot of responsibility on his shoulders.”

wildstangs
11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Good question about Carr - I know he went to Tech for a little while, not sure what happened after that though.

Denison beat us pretty good that year - not as bad as they did in 1997 though.

Matthew328
11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Those Carr boys were no joke, they had Chris Carr back in 1991 when they beat Everman down....I wonder if they are in Sweetwater and have any make children...future Mustang RBs???? If they have kids I bet they are getting close to High School age

STANG RED
11-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Those Carr boys were no joke, they had Chris Carr back in 1991 when they beat Everman down....I wonder if they are in Sweetwater and have any make children...future Mustang RBs???? If they have kids I bet they are getting close to High School age
Dont know if there are any little Carr's running around Sweetwater or not, but maybe the best RB Swater ever had was Kenneth Norman. He has a freshman son that was on varsity this year as a DB. Very fast and hard hitting, but very slight built so far. As he fills out more the next couple years, he just might be the next great Swater RB.

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
That wasn't a very good game if I remember correctly.

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud

It was '97 that I'm thinking.

I remember Palafox getting knocked the (Insert expletive) out.

kepdawg
11-26-2007, 09:34 PM

I guess it depends on which side you were on!

kepdawg
11-26-2007, 09:36 PM
It was '97 that I'm thinking.

I remember Palafox getting knocked the (Insert expletive) out.

1995 was at UTA

1997 was at WF Memorial

bigron15
11-26-2007, 09:44 PM
norman is a soph.

bigron15
11-26-2007, 09:48 PM
my bro played in the 1997 game and they got JACKED UP!!!!

Stownhorse
11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by bigron15
my bro played in the 1997 game and they got JACKED UP!!!!

haha those were the dark years for the Mustangs.

kepdawg
11-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
haha those were the dark years for the Mustangs.

Dark years? :thinking:

GetRDoneStangs
11-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Kenneth was a Stud for the Mustangs in the late 80's. His Sr year he was All State....1st team defense...1st team offence......and 4A Player of the of the Year!! And it seems he was like 3rd team Punter???

He was fun to watch! I wish he would have went on to play at A & M......But, he decided to try baseball for a carrer and he played in the minors for a few years.

He could have played in the "Wrecking Crew" years....maybe Jr can continue on!!

Stownhorse
11-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

They werent real consistant.

wildstangs
11-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

Yeah I wonder what he means by that. We had the same QB from 1995-1997 and the only 3 games he lost were the playoff games. He went 11-1, 12-1, 13-1. I would consider the dark years 1998-2000.

kepdawg
11-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Yeah I wonder what he means by that. We had the same QB from 1995-1997 and the only 3 games he lost were the playoff games. He went 11-1, 12-1, 13-1. I would consider the dark years 1998-2000.

Almost every school would be real happy if those were the dark years!

DU_stud04
11-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah I wonder what he means by that. We had the same QB from 1995-1997 and the only 3 games he lost were the playoff games. He went 11-1, 12-1, 13-1. I would consider the dark years 1998-2000. agreed...he doesnt know what he is talking about

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
agreed...he doesnt know what he is talking about

That's what I was thinking.

My Freshmen and Sophmore year were the dark years, our last in 4a.

Stownhorse

My bad. Atleast they kept a QB for a few yrs. to gain experience. Ever since Jackson started here he has had a 1st yr. starter at QB each yr.

wildstangs

I think his three losses were to Stephenville, Sherman, and Denison. Two of those teams were powers in the 90's. Throw in La Marque and you have almost every 90's 4A state championship game represented.

ASUFrisbeeStud
My bad. Atleast they kept a QB for a few yrs. to gain experience. Ever since Jackson started here he has had a 1st yr. starter at QB each yr.

Mychal played his Jr and Sr year for Jackson.

DU_stud04
11-26-2007, 10:15 PM
My bad. Atleast they kept a QB for a few yrs. to gain experience. Ever since Jackson started here he has had a 1st yr. starter at QB each yr. i dont think you could find much better qb than andrew boatright...atleast in sweetwater, he was exciting

wildstangs
11-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Almost. Mychael Carrillo had one year under his belt as a sophomore when Jackson came in. Jackson had him for two years. I can't think of another two year starter since then, unless you count Jeremy Thompsons 1.5 years as a starter.

Stownhorse
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM

I knew it was somewhere through there you jack. I was only a young lad at the time.

wildstangs
11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
i dont think you could find much better qb than andrew boatright...atleast in sweetwater

Did Boatright pass the ball much? I remember he had a ton of RB talent around him. Robert Reed, Moses Brown, and Willie Amos just to name a few.

kepdawg
11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
I think his three losses were to Stephenville, Sherman, and Denison. Two of those teams were powers in the 90's. Throw in La Marque and you have almost every 90's 4A state championship game represented.

94 was Sherman

Denison got them in 95 and 97

96 was Stephenville

GetRDoneStangs
11-26-2007, 10:18 PM

36-3 not too bad....But you might wanrt to take that to the 4A board.......that occured before Sweetwater droped to 3A.......JK!!!:D :D

Those where some very good years!!

Stownhorse
Almost. Mychael Carrillo had one year under his belt as a sophomore when Jackson came in. Jackson had him for two years. I can't think of another two year starter since then, unless you count Jeremy Thompsons 1.5 years as a starter.

Jackson had no choice with JT and Jackson knew Mychal was a balla and would work just fine with his offense.

DU_stud04
I knew it was somewhere through there you jack. I was only a young lad at the time. look it up if you're not sure :thumbsup: im only a few years older than you

ASUFrisbeeStud
Did Boatright pass the ball much? I remember he had a ton of RB talent around him. Robert Reed, Moses Brown, and Willie Amos just to name a few.

He could, but he didn't.

Stownhorse
11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
look it up if you're not sure :thumbsup: im only a few years older than you

That information is tought to find. Plus wildstangs supplied the info and you commensed to attack me.

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-26-2007, 10:20 PM
That information is tought to find. Plus wildstangs supplied the info and you commensed to attack me.

He's good at that.

DaHop72
11-26-2007, 10:21 PM
i dont think you could find much better qb than andrew boatright...atleast in sweetwater, he was exciting Benny Pace and Aubrey McCann.

DU_stud04
11-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Did Boatright pass the ball much? I remember he had a ton of RB talent around him. Robert Reed, Moses Brown, and Willie Amos just to name a few. passed a little bit mor ethan we do now, but back then...why? you had boatright and amos running like crazy every game....moses brown hammering people up the middle, and every once in a while robert reed on a long pass. robert reed was 6'8''? big old boy as a receiver....also did kickoffs. i remember him putting the kickoff through the upright every game. awesome sight

bigron15
11-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Benny Pace and Aubrey McCann.

was that in the 40's?

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-26-2007, 10:23 PM
passed a little bit mor ethan we do now, but back then...why? you had boatright and amos running like crazy every game....moses brown hammering people up the middle, and every once in a while robert reed on a long pass. robert reed was 6'8''? big old boy as a receiver....also did kickoffs. i remember him putting the kickoff through the upright every game. awesome sight

Yeah Robert taught me how to long jump.

I got to be a "white knight" against the varsity offense when I was on JV and had Willie run over me a few times. He got the ball pretty often, Rusty was our QB that year.

DU_stud04
11-26-2007, 10:25 PM

I got to be a "white knight" against the varsity offense when I was on JV and had Willie run over me a few times. He got the ball pretty often, Rusty was our QB that year. white knights.... the good ole days :)

DaHop72
11-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by bigron15
was that in the 40's? Not that long ago, but you weren't probably even a twinkle in you father's eye at the time.:devil:

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-26-2007, 10:26 PM
white knights.... the good ole days :)

Haha yeah. Jackson did away with those days.

DU_stud04
11-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Benny Pace and Aubrey McCann. ment to say around that time period...my bad hoppppppppps

Stownhorse
11-26-2007, 10:28 PM

I got to be a "white knight" against the varsity offense when I was on JV and had Willie run over me a few times. He got the ball pretty often, Rusty was our QB that year.

Yea I was safety and got LIT every day in practice by Allen Copeland. I practiced the art of bull fighting after the 1st few times.

Stownhorse
11-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Haha yeah. Jackson did away with those days.

They still do it. Doesnt do them any good though.

DaHop72
11-26-2007, 10:31 PM
ment to say around that time period...my bad hoppppppppps :thumbsup: Because if it's not limited to a time frame there was that fellow named Baugh.:D

DU_stud04
11-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Haha yeah. Jackson did away with those days. its not our fault we would embarrass y'all :D :evil:

DU_stud04
11-26-2007, 10:32 PM
:thumbsup: Because if it's not limited to a time frame there was that fellow named Baugh.:D defiantly.... found my autographed cards from him when i went home this past weekend. i forgotten i had them

DaHop72
11-26-2007, 10:38 PM
defiantly.... found my autographed cards from him when i went home this past weekend. i forgotten i had them I have a autographed football that I'm rather proud of myself.:thumbsup: