PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman for the . . .

BobcatBenny
11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
. . . non-Aggie.

This is the thread for those that would like to talk about a new head coach in Big XII without having to wade thru all the maroon crappola.

OK, Mike Sherman . . . probably a decent coach. But if we look at his previous record, would this be your favorite Big XII team's head coach or even Notre Dame's head coach?

But I will start with the first and most obvious questions.

Who in the world would hire a guy with title, "Assistant Head Coach"?

Wouldn't that title make any normal employer throw a candidate's resume into the trash can with out further consideration?

:D :D :D :D :D

JJ7997
11-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Mockery is the highest form of flattery my friend. Since you like to mock and talk crap about everything to do with A&M you must have a deep underlying affection for Aggies. Come out of the closet already . :D :D :D :D

BobcatBenny
11-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Nebraska's and Baylor's new head coaches are next. Just so they will feel flattered too. :D

Gobbla2001
11-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I doubted this hire at first, and still think they hired too soon, but now that they have done it and it's final, I think it's a decent hire...

He's not gunna give the Ags overnight success, it may take a year, maybe two, but the guy has done a great job with the Texans offense and wasn't too damn bad at Green Bay when you consider what he had to play with... he had Favre and a young explosive Green... what he didn't have was that great of an offensive line while there, but he didn't do too bad of a job of making things happen... the defense just didn't have enough skill on it when he was at GB...

The man was at A&M when the wrecking crew was still doin' a bit of wrecking so I'm sure restoring that tradition will be his first goal...

the offense at A&M is just a step away with the talent coming back... hell they're just about there, just haven't been in the right offense...

I was listening to the talk about A&M on the radio today and all of that talk put a question in my head: "Had Mike Sherman taken over at the start of the 2007 season, would he have done a better job than Fran?"... My answer was "Yes"... I have no doubt in my mind that the offense would have been better... I also think the D would have been a lot more aggressive...

I think it's scary since I'm a UT fan... I think he'll do a great job there...

JR2004
11-26-2007, 08:00 PM
He'll do a bit better than his predecessor, but that's not saying a whole lot. Laughable hire, but he "Understands A&M"...lol. If I was a Tech fan I don't know if I'd even bat an eyelash at the hire. It'll either be Leach beating them senseless for the foreseeable future or it'll be Art Briles running up the score.

I'm sure Zero U. yawned at the hire. Stoops won't be losing any sleep over matching wits with Sherman.

UT...Well they're 0-2 in the Modern Era against A&M so who knows. Maybe the folks down in Austin are happy to see Fran go!

JJ7997
11-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
He'll do a bit better than his predecessor, but that's not saying a whole lot. Laughable hire, but he "Understands A&M"...lol. If I was a Tech fan I don't know if I'd even bat an eyelash at the hire. It'll either be Leach beating them senseless for the foreseeable future or it'll be Art Briles running up the score.

I'm sure Zero U. yawned at the hire. Stoops won't be losing any sleep over matching wits with Sherman.

UT...Well they're 0-2 in the Modern Era against A&M so who knows. Maybe the folks down in Austin are happy to see Fran go!

The tortilla throwing classless clowns....... Now that program is whats " laughable ".

As for Blow U, its easy for Stoops when he beats everybody outta the best recruits in this state.

UT, we all knew they're heyday was over, what back on 05' ?

JR2004
11-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
The tortilla throwing classless clowns....... Now that program is whats " laughable ".

As for Blow U, its easy for Stoops when he beats everybody outta the best recruits in this state.

This is a thread for fans of other schools to share their opinion of the A&M hire today.

JJ7997
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
This is a thread for fans of other schools to share their opinion of the A&M hire today.

You mean a free-for-all for A&M bashers.

Gobbla2001
11-26-2007, 09:12 PM

if you go by that logic no team has a heyday right now...

10 wins last year, a shot at it this year and that's after losing countless athletes to the NFL, not too damn bad... next year UT will be a pretty salty ball club... O-line will be tougher than they have been the past few weeks, you can count on th at... defense will be better, just need a better scheme back there...

I didn't think UT's chances of winning the big 12 this year were that great, much less the chances of getting into a BCS bowl game... just lost too many big time players... add to it a sloppy sophmore campaign by McCoy and it just wasn't happening this year...

next year will be a lot better... but Tech is gunna be stronger, OU will be stronger, A&M will probably be stronger, esspecially if Sherman gets 'em off to a quick start... OKstate is gunna be pretty damn good as well...

The South is gunna be loaded next year...

JR2004
11-26-2007, 09:32 PM
You mean a free-for-all for A&M bashers.

Again this is a thread for opinions from folks who aren't A&M fans. Be glad your team's hire is actually being discussed. You could be Baylor where no one really cares who you bring in.

IHStangFan
11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Nebraska's and Baylor's new head coaches are next. Just so they will feel flattered too. :D maybe you should be a little more concerned w/ the personnel changes that need to be made at Texas...i.e. Davis and company. They're coming. :D

BobcatBenny
11-27-2007, 08:41 AM
. . . More and more questions.

Do we know that one of the criteria for this particular Head Coaching job is to win the National Championship or would this be a criteria for all Big XII Head Coaching jobs?

So, if a team in the Big XII is going to end up being the best or National Champion, has anyone ever outlined the head coaching criteria it takes to win a national championship?

- One of the best organizers
- One of the best employers of other coaching (OC, DC and lesser coaching positions)
- One of the best recruiters
- One of the best game managers
- Very good with the media

Inspirational?
Great fund raiser?
Great football mind?
Has a football program?

Or is it just finding a coach that can figure out how to make the most of what he has, in any one season? And he gets just a little lucky? (i.e. Mack Brown? (arguable I know))

What should seemingly endless funding buy in a Head Coach?

Does Mike Sherman have any of theses qualities or record of these qualities?

jason
11-27-2007, 09:21 AM
do you guys think they big 12 'head hanchos' will ever decide not to have a conference title game - and risk knocking a team a out of a shot at the national title (ie mizzo vs ou)...??

i think its unfair to mizzo to have to earn something they have already earned - nothing more can come out of the big 12 title game, they only have everything to lose...

JJ7997
11-27-2007, 09:25 AM
You could be Baylor where no one really cares who you bring in.

You got me, I'll keep outta this one now.
:D

Adidas410s
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by jason
do you guys think they big 12 'head hanchos' will ever decide not to have a conference title game - and risk knocking a team a out of a shot at the national title (ie mizzo vs ou)...??

i think its unfair to mizzo to have to earn something they have already earned - nothing more can come out of the big 12 title game, they only have everything to lose...

kick out Baylor and/or Iowa State and there is no need for a conference championship game. Go to the Big 10 format of playing 8 conference opponents and leave it there...

crzyjournalist03
11-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by jason

Nope...conference championships bring in a lot of money that the conference wouldn't otherwise have, and as long as they have a team guaranteed of a spot in the BCS game, they'll get their money there.

Is the NC game more valuable than the other BCS games in terms of guaranteed money? I don't remember it being more when there were just four, but I'm not sure if that changed with the plus one format that's now employed.

Adidas410s
11-27-2007, 11:42 AM

What is the record between A&M and Tech???

34-31-1

Who has won 10 of the last 13 games??? (Texas Tech)

What is A&M's record recently??? (81-54 since 1997...on average a 7-5 football team)

How have you fared in your bowl games??? (2 worst bowl game losses in school history)

Remind me again how the A&M football program is better than Tech's football program???

Fal44
11-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

34-31-1

What is A&M's record recently??? (81-54 since 1997...on average a 7-5 football team)

How have you fared in your bowl games??? (2 worst bowl game losses in school history)

Remind me again how the A&M football program is better than Tech's football program???

good points... maybe the aggs are just living off of rich traditions...

Panther One
11-27-2007, 12:25 PM
In regards to Sherman...

I don't know anything about Sherman's organizational skills...

- One of the best employers of other coaching (OC, DC and lesser coaching positions)
Requested less than $2 million per year so that his assistants could be paid more. Will go the the NFL and college ranks for these. We'll see who he brings in, but so far, that's a good start.

Sherman recruited the Houston and Golden Triangle area while on RC's staff. He must have been decent because A&M brought in a lot of talent from those areas in the 90's.

I don't think it gets worse than Fran, so Sherman has to be an upgrade. Perhaps we'll try to win some games rather than keep them close.

I think Sherman will be a media favorite, especially after five years of Fran.

Inspirational?
Sherman's former players have had good things to say...

Great fund raiser?
The hire alone is good for fund raising, as far as the big wigs are concerned. The A&M alums with all the money are still a bunch of good ol' boys, and I think Byrne took this into consideration with this hire.

Great football mind?
This is probably the biggest difference between Sherman and Fran and will have the most immediate impact on the program.

Has a football program?
We'll see...

BobcatBenny
11-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
In regards to Sherman...
. . .
Requested less than $2 million per year so that his assistants could be paid more. Will go the the NFL and college ranks for these. We'll see who he brings in, but so far, that's a good start.
. . .
I don't think it gets worse than Fran, so Sherman has to be an upgrade. Perhaps we'll try to win some games rather than keep them close.

. . .

I think that these three may be the key for Mike Sherman and A&M. Recruiting is one of the most important, but I think A&M gets enough talent and that will continue. If this talent can get put together well, can win the close games, and the media can be convinced to vote for A&M year in and out again, A&M should climb back into national contention.

Despite receiving a contract extension earlier in the 2005 season, Sherman was fired by the Packers on January 2, 2006, after compiling a 4–12 record. Injuries were to blame for the poor season, as the Packers lost pro bowlers Javon Walker, Bubba Franks and Ahman Green to Injured Reserved early in the season.

This line from Wikipedia makes my head snap up. He has proven to be a head coach that can have a terrible season. Maybe 4 wins will slide past the nay sayers for the first season. But after that, anything more than 2 losses and the heat is on.

Maybe 3 losses? Big XII teams can stay in the top 25 with three losses so this might be passing year in and out.

I don't think 4 losses will cut it. So, Mike Sherman would had to of won the Miami and Tech games this year. Now as long as Miami isn't a consistent schedule, Tech is the game an A&M coach can never afford to lose.

If coach Sherman can figure out how to win that game he probably will be able to build his program. If he does not patch that problem immediately, then the pressure will never cease.

Adidas410s
11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
This line from Wikipedia makes my head snap up. He has proven to be a head coach that can have a terrible season. Maybe 4 wins will slide past the nay sayers for the first season. But after that, anything more than 2 losses and the heat is on.

Maybe 3 losses? Big XII teams can stay in the top 25 with three losses so this might be passing year in and out.

I don't think 4 losses will cut it. So, Mike Sherman would had to of won the Miami and Tech games this year. Now as long as Miami isn't a consistent schedule, Tech is the game an A&M coach can never afford to lose.

If coach Sherman can figure out how to win that game he probably will be able to build his program. If he does not patch that problem immediately, then the pressure will never cease.

Green Bay was wrong to fire him based on his on-field performance. They had won their division the 3 years before the 4-12 season. Also, it wasn't just 2 injuries to Franks and Ahman Green. They lost Donald Driver and 2 or 3 other receivers, KGB, 4 running backs (anybody remember Samkon Gado???), Franks, multiple OL...they were essentially bringing a knife to a gun fight every week and you just can't do that in the NFL. Sherman couldn't have done anything to improve the situation that his team was in that year.

JJ7997
11-27-2007, 10:18 PM
on average a 7-5 football team)

Which is what Tech is every year. Unlike Tech, A&M has won a conference title. You really think an alum like myself gets down cause Tech has beat us alot recently ? That trend will change, believe me. Tech has nothing compared to the entire college experience like A&M has. Faculty, Alumni, Boosters, Athletes, Tradition, etc. Tech just has a made up " rivalry " against us that only they take seriously. Texas Tech exists to hate A&M simply cause they cant be A&M. :eek: :eek: :devil:

g$$
11-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Bobcat Benny:

Assistant Head Coach: very common title at the pro & college levels. Has to do with pay grades & advancement.

If you got out of Celina more, maybe you would know & understand that.

I love the hire, have supported him going way back, & you will regret those comments in the near future. Hey, we beat your Horns 2 years in a row with a lame duck coach anyway!

g$$
11-27-2007, 10:32 PM
. . . More and more questions.

Do we know that one of the criteria for this particular Head Coaching job is to win the National Championship or would this be a criteria for all Big XII Head Coaching jobs?

So, if a team in the Big XII is going to end up being the best or National Champion, has anyone ever outlined the head coaching criteria it takes to win a national championship?

Inspirational?
Great fund raiser?
Great football mind?
Has a football program?

Or is it just finding a coach that can figure out how to make the most of what he has, in any one season? And he gets just a little lucky? (i.e. Mack Brown? (arguable I know))

What should seemingly endless funding buy in a Head Coach?

Does Mike Sherman have any of theses qualities or record of these qualities?

I think Sherman has many if not all of those qualities. Known as good recruiter previously. Key will be hiring great staff.

Man has 11 years experience in pro ball & 16 in college. HC of GB Packers & GM too. Super Bowl ring as asst. Yes, he is qualified.

Recommended by Holmgren, Wolf, Favre, Kubiak, & others. Enough said.

g$$
11-27-2007, 10:36 PM

34-31-1

Texas Tech has owned us recently no doubt, but over history AS&M is clearly the better program. No disputing that either. Overall wins, prestige & tradition, 1 NC, conference titles, bowl games, # of pro players, alumni base, facilities, stadium crowds, etc.

g$$
11-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
In regards to Sherman...

I don't know anything about Sherman's organizational skills...

Sherman recruited the Houston and Golden Triangle area while on RC's staff. He must have been decent because A&M brought in a lot of talent from those areas in the 90's.

Inspirational?
Sherman's former players have had good things to say...

Great fund raiser?
The hire alone is good for fund raising, as far as the big wigs are concerned. The A&M alums with all the money are still a bunch of good ol' boys, and I think Byrne took this into consideration with this hire.

Great football mind?
This is probably the biggest difference between Sherman and Fran and will have the most immediate impact on the program.

Has a football program?
We'll see...

Great post.

I will say this: Mike Sherman is one of the brightest people I have ever met (when he worked at A&M previously). He spoke to a group of workers for the 12th MF that I organized. His organizational skills are top-notch. Highly respected in coaching circles. We hired a good one.

Now will it work out? I don't know but on the surface I sure like it.

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Bobcat Benny:

Assistant Head Coach: very common title at the pro & college levels. Has to do with pay grades & advancement.

If you got out of Celina more, maybe you would know & understand that. . . .
There are many things . . . that people commonly do . . . which are freaking hilarious.

Job Titles are one of those things. "Assistant Head Coach" just makes me literally laugh out loud.

Considering that, here's a title for you, "Assistant Head President/Offensive for Texas A&M University, Houston Subchapter, 3A Football Forums specializing in Tedium Enforcement". :D

g$$
11-28-2007, 09:39 AM
There are many things . . . that people commonly do . . . which are freaking hilarious.

Job Titles are one of those things. "Assistant Head Coach" just makes me literally laugh out loud.

Considering that, here's a title for you, "Assistant Head President/Offensive for Texas A&M University, Houston Subchapter, 3A Football Forums specializing in Tedium Enforcement". :D

Here's what I find hilarious: you. I challenge you right now to research the pro & college levels (go to websites) & look at titles of coaches. Texas has designated some that way too - everybody does it. It has to do with pay grades & advancement when someone comes calling, thus is it a lateral or vertical move? Way above you I know, but there it is. Do the research before popping off.

Stick to your day job because comedian is not going to pay the bills.

big daddy russ
11-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Which is what Tech is every year. Unlike Tech, A&M has won a conference title. You really think an alum like myself gets down cause Tech has beat us alot recently ? That trend will change, believe me. Tech has nothing compared to the entire college experience like A&M has. Faculty, Alumni, Boosters, Athletes, Tradition, etc. Tech just has a made up " rivalry " against us that only they take seriously. Texas Tech exists to hate A&M simply cause they cant be A&M. :eek: :eek: :devil:
I gotta disagree with you on the rivalry part. Tech is without a doubt A&M's second-biggest rivalry. The current student body at TAMU doesn't like Tech at all.

Budman007
11-28-2007, 10:15 PM

For someone to be a rival school, there has to be at least some level of respect involved. Most of us Aggies simply have no or at least very little respect for Tech. t.u. is a rivalry because the 2 schools have some degree of respect for each other as hard as it is for an Aggie like myself to admit to any respect for the Evil Empire.

BobcatBenny
11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
For someone to be a rival school, there has to be at least some level of respect involved. Most of us Aggies simply have no or at least very little respect for Tech. t.u. is a rivalry because the 2 schools have some degree of respect for each other as hard as it is for an Aggie like myself to admit to any respect for the Evil Empire.
The rivalry question is completely insignificant. The problem A&M has is they cannot reasonably expect to win a national championship until they can beat Tech. Tech is a must win for any Big XII South team that thinks they are NC contenders.

We will find out if Mike Sherman can turn that around.

Bottom line is this. If Mike Sherman loses 4 of 5 times against Tech, then I would be fairly certain, that A&M will be looking for another coach.

Big Papa
11-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Budman007

i find it funny that this, what is being said by an aggie about raiders, sounds a lot like what horns say about aggies..:thinking:

i digress because i am a ram...and a T-SHIRT HORN

RACK EM RAMS

and HOOK EM HORNS

g$$
11-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Big Papa
i find it funny that this, what is being said by an aggie about raiders, sounds a lot like what horns say about aggies..:thinking:

i digress because i am a ram...and a T-SHIRT HORN

RACK EM RAMS

and HOOK EM HORNS

Does your t-shirt fit? Academy close by? Come on...

Better get fitted after 2 in a row!

Big Papa
11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Does your t-shirt fit? Academy close by? Come on...

Better get fitted after 2 in a row!

now that you mention it my shirts do seem a lil smaller...problly cuz i put on weight... and i cant pay for new shirts..no money there... and where am i goin.. why dont YOU come on...

i think your meaning 7 in a row...as in how many 10 win seasons the horns will have after they win thier bowl game...7 or is it 8..ive lost count