PDA

View Full Version : Good Reading about the Feds,Vick,Bond, and PackMan Jones, don't read if u don't like.

Fotbol
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Do Feds Seek Out Big Stars Over Small Fry?
By: Black Athlete
Nov. 25, 2007

Print Email Discuss

A Double Standard In The Pursuit Of Justice?
by John Canzano, POSTED: Nov 25, 2007

OREGON -- A friend of mine sent me an e-mail this week. The subject line read: "Been sayin' it for two years now." And what he's been saying is that high-profile athletes are more fun for federal investigators to hunt, bag and hold up as trophies.

He was writing about Barry Bonds. And Michael Vick. And Marion Jones. And right now, I'm thinking the argument is being validated, one indictment at a time.

If those three athletes broke rules, punish them. If they broke laws, put them in jail. If they broke tenets of basic human decency, lock them up and castigate them.

You'll get no argument here.

But while we're at it, don't you think federal investigators and grand juries should be doing something more to stop the distribution and use of steroids and dogfighting among non-superstar athletes?

I challenge you to examine the cases of Bonds, Vick and Jones and the passion with which each was chased by the federal government, and ask yourself if that same prolonged energy, and the same intense resources, and the same valuable grand jury time, is being dedicated to lower-profile targets.

Then, ask yourself if this has to do with skin color, or celebrity, or some combination of both. Or if the pattern here is as random and indiscriminate as it should be when it comes to Lady Justice, who as far as we know, still is wearing that blindfold and holding the scales of justice.

Why isn't Mark McGwire, who can't seem to answer when you ask him about steroids under oath, the subject of a special grand jury session? How about admitted abuser Jason Giambi? And Rafael Palmeiro? And did Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig make false statements when he testified that baseball was clueless to the obvious performance-enhancing drug epidemic that went down during his tenure?

Where are the indictments for the nameless, faceless citizens who stage brutal and disturbing dogfights before and after Vick came and went? Where are the deep-pocketed federal resources for the investigation and prosecution of suppliers and distributors of street-level steroids that still are finding their way into high schools, colleges and local gymnasiums?

Double standard, anyone?

I'm not defending Bonds, or Vick, or Jones. How could you? Vick pleaded guilty to charges involving dogfighting. Jones admitted she used steroids and lied to investigators. And Bonds was given felony indictments of perjury and obstruction of justice.

They're getting what they deserve, I suppose.

But I insisted early on, maybe naively so, that we were witnessing justice at work, and that our federal government was doing the right thing by pursuing and punishing criminal behavior. And now, I'm looking around, seeing these three standing alone, being paraded and trumpeted like prized catches, and wondering if making a big splash was the sole aim all along.

Until dogfighting is wiped out nationwide, we have to wonder if Vick would have been targeted with such spirit if he, say, owned a small business instead of being one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. And until performance-enhancing drugs become less available to citizens, we have to wonder if Jones got prosecuted simply because she could run fast.

And we have to wonder if Bonds -- who gave up long ago wanting to be loved by the public -- would have been the subject of such a driven and prolonged investigation had he not hit so many home runs.

Maybe a flood of federal funding to eliminate crimes involving steroids and dogfighting is coming. Maybe someone's going to call a news conference and announce that a passionate federal investigation has broken up a major dogfighting or steroid ring somewhere in the U.S. not involving a professional athlete. Maybe Bonds, and Vick, and Jones were just the first three Americans to be singled out by federal investigations.

Until then, let's call all this what it really is.

A start.

Old Tiger
11-26-2007, 04:26 PM
yawn....bonds deserved it, vick deserved it.

Fotbol
11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Stryker, and D'Nario Deserve what they are getting in San Antonio..........A chance to play for a a National Title:D

Old Tiger
11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Stryker, and D'Nario Deserve what they are getting in San Antonio..........A chance to play for a a National Title:D true....i may try to get a ticket and go down for it

nobogey72
11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Stryker, and D'Nario Deserve what they are getting in San Antonio..........A chance to play for a a National Title:D

I figured out Saturday that Stryker is from Rockdale, but who is D'Nario and from where?

Old Tiger
11-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I figured out Saturday that Stryker is from Rockdale, but who is D'Nario and from where? #81 from Missouri....Marlin

crzyjournalist03
11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure if I'd like this article or not, but it says not to read it if you don't like it, but the only way to know for sure is to read it. So since I can't definitively say whether I'll like this article or not, I guess I just won't read it.

themsu97
11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
difference is the media is not going to pay attention to people who are not "big time"... I mean we hear all the time about Brittney Spears, Lindsey lohan and Paris with their stints in and out of rehab and their run ins with the law but we do not read about the every day joes unless you read the grand jury indictments in the local paper...
around here a few years ago there was a big sting in breaking up a cock fighting ring, it made the headline news in the local fish wrap and on the 10 o'clock news but nowhere else, why because nobody else cares?
Palmeiro never lied to the grand jury, just to congress, how many people have done that?
Giambi has apologized countless times and may have admitted guilt in the same testimony...nobody knows for sure...
what about Gary Sheffield? he said that Bonds gave him steroids...
you only find stories where you look for them...
bottom line here, Vick is guilty, and Bonds may be, does that change the fact? no...
my brother works for the IRS and he can tell me plenty of people that they are after for Tax fraud but since they are not celebrities nobody cares...

Bull19
11-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
difference is the media is not going to pay attention to people who are not "big time"... I mean we hear all the time about Brittney Spears, Lindsey lohan and Paris with their stints in and out of rehab and their run ins with the law but we do not read about the every day joes unless you read the grand jury indictments in the local paper...
around here a few years ago there was a big sting in breaking up a cock fighting ring, it made the headline news in the local fish wrap and on the 10 o'clock news but nowhere else, why because nobody else cares?
Palmeiro never lied to the grand jury, just to congress, how many people have done that?
Giambi has apologized countless times and may have admitted guilt in the same testimony...nobody knows for sure...
what about Gary Sheffield? he said that Bonds gave him steroids...
you only find stories where you look for them...
bottom line here, Vick is guilty, and Bonds may be, does that change the fact? no...
my brother works for the IRS and he can tell me plenty of people that they are after for Tax fraud but since they are not celebrities nobody cares...

exactly,,,,just because it doesnt make the headline news, it doesnt mean people aren't being arrested,etc.

3afan
11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

yes, but I dont doubt for a minute that high profile people, not just athletes, are prosecuted as trophies

Gobbla2001
11-26-2007, 09:34 PM
though I'm sure it happens somtimes, I don't believe that the feds are that hell-bent on pursuing high profile athletes...... I think that the media is more willingly to make their content based off of high profile athletes/celebs than the non-high profile athletes... no one wants to read about some nobody getting busted for picking up a prostitute or what have you...

in the example of Michael Vick just watch "Animal Police" on the Animal Planet... they bust up stuff like that all of the time... their names just aren't Michael Vick so you don't hear/read about it... Joe Blow and his buddy's dog-fighting ring getting busted up in Detroit isn't big news to the 99.9999% of us that have no idea who in the hell Joe Blow and his buddies are... or how about Jennifer Blow transporting 20 pounds of pot? sure, it'll make the local 10pm news and the local papers, but she never ice-skated, ran track or played a second of ball in the WNBA, so ESPN could give a crap... you never hear about it...

there are two big reasons you hear more about celebs/high profile athletes being busted for these things

1.) it catches your eyes and ears more when you know the name

2.) the media feeds off of those stories

that's that... that's that... that's that...

and don't give me the "color" crap.... we heard about Lance Armstrong being accused of doping, and we've heard of the other dude that has been found guilty of doping... BUT BESIDES PHIL C NO ONE GIVES A CRAP ABOUT TOUR DE FRANK... so no one talks about it...

rockdale80
11-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
though I'm sure it happens somtimes, I don't believe that the feds are that hell-bent on pursuing high profile athletes...... I think that the media is more willingly to make their content based off of high profile athletes/celebs than the non-high profile athletes... no one wants to read about some nobody getting busted for picking up a prostitute or what have you...

in the example of Michael Vick just watch "Animal Police" on the Animal Planet... they bust up stuff like that all of the time... their names just aren't Michael Vick so you don't hear/read about it... Joe Blow and his buddy's dog-fighting ring getting busted up in Detroit isn't big news to the 99.9999% of us that have no idea who in the hell Joe Blow and his buddies are... or how about Jennifer Blow transporting 20 pounds of pot? sure, it'll make the local 10pm news and the local papers, but she never ice-skated, ran track or played a second of ball in the WNBA, so ESPN could give a crap... you never hear about it...

there are two big reasons you hear more about celebs/high profile athletes being busted for these things

1.) it catches your eyes and ears more when you know the name

2.) the media feeds off of those stories

that's that... that's that... that's that...

and don't give me the "color" crap.... we heard about Lance Armstrong being accused of doping, and we've heard of the other dude that has been found guilty of doping... BUT BESIDES PHIL C NO ONE GIVES A CRAP ABOUT TOUR DE FRANK... so no one talks about it...

Plus these are the same people that are glorified on TV and several kids idolize.

STANG RED
11-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
yes, but I dont doubt for a minute that high profile people, not just athletes, are prosecuted as trophies

Then they should have an extra incentive to keep their noses clean seems to me.