PDA

View Full Version : November 26, 1994: WHAT A COMEBACK!!!

kaorder1999
11-26-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spt/misc/history/stories/november/112694hs.jpg
Tyler John Tyler fullback Marc Broyles drags a pair of Plano East defenders in a game that would receive and ESPY in 1995 for Showstopper of the Year. John Tyler went on to win the Class 5A Division II state title.

John Tyler loses 24-point lead but tops Plano East

November 26, 1994
By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

Editors' note: The following appeared in the final November 27, 1994 edition of The Dallas Morning News.

• • •

IRVING – With just over three minutes remaining, Tyler John Tyler led by 24 points. With 24 seconds left, the Lions trailed by three.

But after nearly giving the game away, John Tyler had just enough time to get it back. Roderick Dunn returned a kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown with 11 seconds left, giving the Lions a 48-44 victory Saturday night in a Class 5A Division II Region II semifinal at Texas Stadium.

"I feel empty," Plano East coach Scott Phillips said. "It's just an empty feeling."

Plano East's Robert Woods caught a 22-yard touchdown pass from Jeff Whitley with 24 seconds left, giving Plano East a 44-41 lead and an apparent victory.

But Dunn returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown. He fielded the ball at the John Tyler three, cut toward the left sideline at the 20 and ran untouched for a touchdown.

Dunn's teammates followed him up the locker room tunnel as they celebrated.

"The line blocked and I just followed the lane," Dunn said. "We felt real deflated when they took the lead, and we were arguing, but coach (Allen Wilson) told us to keep our heads up."

Phillips said he wanted the ball kicked deep because Plano East has had good kick coverage teams all season.

"They moved their return man to the 20-yard-line," said Phillips, "I was hoping to kick it over his head, but he went back and got it."

John Tyler's Marc Broyles and David Warren each returned fourth-quarter fumbles for touchdowns, turning a close game into an apparent rout.

John Tyler (13-0), No. 3 in the state, will play Lake Highlands at 5 p.m. Saturday at Texas Stadium. Plano East, No. 1 in The News' 5A area poll and No. 2 in the state, ended its season 12-1.

Trailing, 27-17, with 5:23 left, Plano East had the ball at the John Tyler eight.

Whitley ran an option around right end and several John Tyler player stood him up at the 10. That's when Broyles stripped the ball from Whitley.

The ball popped into Broyles' hands, and he returned it 90 yards for a touchdown and a 34-18 lead with 4:24 left before collapsing in the end zone from exhaustion.

"I started cramping," said Broyles, who dived into the end zone. "I started holding the ball tighter at the five because I felt somebody creeping on me."

On Plano East's next series, a John Tyler defender blindsided Whitley, who fumbled at the Plano East 35. Warren scooped it up, broke a tackle and returned it for a touchdown with 3:03 left, giving John Tyler a 41-17 lead.

Leading, 21-14, at halftime, Wilson made a statement with the Lions' first drive of the second half.

Morris Anderson ran for three yards on fourth-and-inches from the John Tyler 37, and he scrambled for 17 yards on fourth-and-10 from the Plano East 28.

Nicholas Hernandez ended the drive with a 20-yard field goal to end the 14-play, 8:01 drive and give John Tyler a 24-14 lead.

Txbroadcaster
11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
One of the most overrated games in the history of HS football

Great finish..yes..But overrated

Crow22
11-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I was there. It was NOT overrated. The final 2:53 was stuff of magic. Yes, the rest of the game was pretty typical of a hs game but the ending was nothing short of the greatest finish ever for any sporting event in history. JMO.

kaorder1999
11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
One of the most overrated games in the history of HS football

Great finish..yes..But overrated

You think? For a team to make a comeback like that just to lose on a kickoff return at the end is pretty darn dramatic to me. I've never seen anything like it happen since then. Not saying it hasnt happened but i havent seen it.

Texasfootball2
11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Crow22
I was there. It was NOT overrated. The final 2:53 was stuff of magic. Yes, the rest of the game was pretty typical of a hs game but the ending was nothing short of the greatest finish ever for any sporting event in history. JMO.

I was there also. There may be some that can match it, but nothing better. Definitley not overrated.

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 11:04 AM
I've only seen the game on YouTube, wasn't actually there, but I've never seen a better game than that one. Not overrated at all IMO.

The thing that makes that game so special is how improbable EVERYTHING that happened was. Honestly, what were the chances of Plano overcoming that deficit with only three minutes to play? How often are five TD's scored in three minutes? And what are the chances TJT still wins the game, with neither momentum or the clock on their side?

The first 45 minutes of the game may have been garbage (I don't know, haven't seen it), but it's the ending that makes the movie. Those first 45 set up all that drama at the end. If it hadn't been for the end, The Usual Suspects would've just been another sucky movie, we would've won the war in Vietnam, and that game would've just been another footnote in Texas HS football.

Txbroadcaster
11-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Here is why IMO it was overrated

This was not an epic comeback because PE started doing something amazing, it was arrogance on JT's part to NOT adjust to the onside kicks, and not adjust on defense

I am not arguing the greatness of the finish, or the dramatic layer of how it ended with JT running the KO back after all PE did to comeback...But IMO if not for the announcing team and their reaction, this game would be a footnote in history and not held up as it is now

Now this is just my opinion and nothing more

But this IMO would be like saying Dallas vs Buffalo this year was a GREAT game..it was not, it was a great finish, but the game itself was not that special..Same way here..top finish, but not a top game

kaorder1999
11-26-2007, 11:10 AM
the first 5 or 6 times I watched this game i saw it on a tape with no announcers on it. Thought it was one of the most amazing thing I had ever seen.