PDA

View Full Version : Question about Celina and Argyle

Mustangpride09
11-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Didn't they srimmage each other this year? If so, what was the score?

BILLYFRED0000
11-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
Didn't they srimmage each other this year? If so, what was the score?

In the controlled scrimmage I think it was 3td's - 0. In the open quarter it was 2 td's to 1.

Mustangpride09
11-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
In the controlled scrimmage I think it was 3td's - 0. In the open quarter it was 2 td's to 1.

I'm assuming Celina was the team with the 2 to 1? Reason I asked is because i'm expecting this to be a semi final game.

BILLYFRED0000
11-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
I'm assuming Celina was the team with the 2 to 1? Reason I asked is because i'm expecting this to be a semi final game.
Yes it was.
Well if it is, I don't think it will be a good one. I thought Vernon might get past them. Arygle is good but we have had their number for years. When they went to the state finals in 05 we beat them
50 - 0(we beat Pewitt that year for the title). Our defense matches up with them way to well. We cover pretty good with our safety (who will be with the Nittany Lions next year) and they could not control our line or linebackers in the box. They are a good team. We just know how to play them.

block&tackle
11-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I may be wrong but I don't think that Argyle had a 1st down while the first teams were on the field.

It is very hard to know from the scrimmage though because Celina doesn't stunt or blitz much in scrimmages while they do it almost every play at this point against shotgun teams. The main thing in predicting an outcome for this game would be to look at how much success spread teams have had against Celina the past few years - NONE. The 50-0 score in '05 when Argyle went on to the 2A DI Final and gave Newton more than they bargained for - that is a good indicator of how our D matches up with their O sceme.

There is still a lot of football to be played before this game could happen. I will be pulling for Argyle to be there though. How about thoses DFW teams? Doing well against both East and West Texas teams. Surprising since several are recent move-ups from 2A that everyone said would not be able to compete in 3A.

BILLYFRED0000
11-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
I may be wrong but I don't think that Argyle had a 1st down while the first teams were on the field.

It is very hard to know from the scrimmage though because Celina doesn't stunt or blitz much in scrimmages while they do it almost every play at this point against shotgun teams. The main thing in predicting an outcome for this game would be to look at how much success spread teams have had against Celina the past few years - NONE. The 50-0 score in '05 when Argyle went on to the 2A DI Final and gave Newton more than they bargained for - that is a good indicator of how our D matches up with their O sceme.

There is still a lot of football to be played before this game could happen. I will be pulling for Argyle to be there though. How about thoses DFW teams? Doing well against both East and West Texas teams. Surprising since several are recent move-ups from 2A that everyone said would not be able to compete in 3A.

No you are right on all counts on the first team stuff in the scrimmage. We killed them. We do play the spread very well. This is off topic but do you know what O the Pirates run?

block&tackle
11-25-2007, 10:24 PM
No you are right on all counts on the first team stuff in the scrimmage. We killed them. We do play the spread very well. This is off topic but do you know what O the Pirates run?
Spread I think:clap: :)

BILLYFRED0000
11-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Spread I think:clap: :)

Oh my..... That will be number seven this season. So far 245 - 30 with 3 shutouts
and six wins. Pitt is gettin a lot of love over at smoakys. We are gettin our share but they seem to be sure that Pitt has the best athletes on the field and have had all season. They do run the 3 3 stack or 4 2 5 on defense according to those boys. And they have not really played it well at all. They have given up over 270 points.

75009Football
11-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Oh my..... That will be number seven this season. So far 245 - 30 with 3 shutouts
and six wins. Pitt is gettin a lot of love over at smoakys. We are gettin our share but they seem to be sure that Pitt has the best athletes on the field and have had all season. They do run the 3 3 stack or 4 2 5 on defense according to those boys. And they have not really played it well at all. They have given up over 270 points.

Smoakys actually gettin some action now. Been there earlier in the year and there were never more than five posts a day, total, it seemed. Got tired of going back.

RC beat Pitts 47-6 then the next week beat N. Community 48-13. Community put up more points on RC than Pitts did.

Spoke with a coach who played RC and they were not quite what they were billed to be so that tells us something about their competition. It showed when they hit the playoffs.

True, we can't compare. BUT, it does give us something to chew on for a while don't it.

Gsquared
11-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 75009Football
Smoakys actually gettin some action now. Been there earlier in the year and there were never more than five posts a day, total, it seemed. Got tired of going back.

RC beat Pitts 47-6 then the next week beat N. Community 48-13. Community put up more points on RC than Pitts did.

Spoke with a coach who played RC and they were not quite what they were billed to be so that tells us something about their competition. It showed when they hit the playoffs.

True, we can't compare. BUT, it does give us something to chew on for a while don't it.
RC for the first 5 weeks was the real deal. After that, a couple of injuries and the fact that I think RC peaked early, makes that coach correct in my opinion.

Texasfootball2
11-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Be careful what you wish for. 50-0 in '05 doesn't mean much. In '04 Decatur beat Ab. Wylie 40+ to nothing in week three and then lost to Ab. Wylie in round three of the playoffs in the same year. I'm sure that Decatur thought the same thing about their defensive scheme and the matchup. Sometimes easy victories like that can be a disadvantage in rematches.

charlesrixey
11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Be careful what you wish for. 50-0 in '05 doesn't mean much. In '04 Decatur beat Ab. Wylie 40+ to nothing in week three and then lost to Ab. Wylie in round three of the playoffs in the same year. I'm sure that Decatur thought the same thing about their defensive scheme and the matchup. Sometimes easy victories like that can be a disadvantage in rematches.

true, but celina tends to do just fine in rematches, often better than the first game

in 1999 celina played gunter 21-0 in the regular season and then won 28-0 in the quarterfinals

that's the only example i can remember from the same season in recent years, though

that being said, i think celina's continued success against opponents they see all the time is their preparation

Prosper lost to us 27-21 in 2005 and despite moving up and doubling in size, the margin of victory has grown by leaps and bounds, in large part because of their fantastic work ethic

of course, we don't often get a chance to play a team the caliber of wylie in a regular season (much less twice) but celina's scheme and preparation for an opponent don't change nearly as much as some others