PDA

View Full Version : ***Aggie H/C announcement*** (merged)

big daddy russ
11-25-2007, 06:55 PM
link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texasam/5326778.html)

Nothing confirmed, but they're saying that he's currently the frontrunner and that the new coach (whomever it is) COULD be named as soon as Monday or Tuesday.

If true, I'm not at all a fan of the hire. Sherman, to me, seems much better-suited to the NFL game. I know they need a coach ASAP, but he'll have to hire some coordinators who can recruit, because he's going to have a tough time against Mack, Stoops, and company.

g$$, rancher, have either of you heard anything?

JR2004
11-25-2007, 07:18 PM
I saw that too...That's a real reach right there if it winds up happening. Then again they may not be able to find anyone else that wants to go there no matter how much money they want to throw around.

g$$
11-25-2007, 09:15 PM
I am hearing Mike Sherman to be announced Tuesday as Texas A&M's new HC. My source at A&M could be wrong or it could change, but that is the word as of now. He declined comment today after the Texans's game too. Even avoided the media for over an hour. If NOT him, then why not say so or at least diplomatically say something? I think it will be Sherman & I like it. (other sites are reporting this too, but some are also saying Jeff Tedford too; Tuberville is reportedly out of running).

Sherman has been my choice all along, but Tuberville would have been just fine too. Not as high on the others. See what happens.

Houston Chronicle today as well...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texasam/5326453.html

IHStangFan
11-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I am hearing Mike Sherman to be announced Tuesday as Texas A&M's new HC. My source at A&M could be wrong or it could change, but that is the word as of now. He declined comment today after the Texans's game too. Even avoided the media for over an hour. If NOT him, then why not say so or at least diplomatically say something? I think it will be Sherman & I like it. (other sites are reporting this too, but some are also saying Jeff Tedford too; Tuberville is reportedly out of running).

Sherman has been my choice all along, but Tuberville would have been just fine too. Not as high on the others. See what happens.

Houston Chronicle today as well...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texasam/5326453.html I heard Tuberville on like Thurs. on XM (ESPN) radio say he liked where he was at and basically wasn't going anywhere.

carter08
11-25-2007, 09:20 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75043

Gobbla2001
11-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by carter08
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75043

he's saying something completely different...

good try, though...

if it goes down I don't like the hire just yet... I would have waited a bit more... still have Nebraska doing their thing, Michigan doing their thing and it'll keep falling and falling... I'da waited a bit more...

VAMike
11-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Can someone who has been away from the college game for 10 years really understand what it takes to win in college? Does he understand the recruiting process and how to reach 18 - 23 year olds? I assume he has some understanding of Texas and Texas HS football as he did some time as an assistant at A & M in the past. I have no dog in the fight and would ask these questions regardless of the school and potential coach.

IHStangFan
11-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
Can someone who has been away from the college game for 10 years really understand what it takes to win in college? Does he understand the recruiting process and how to reach 18 - 23 year olds? I assume he has some understanding of Texas and Texas HS football as he did some time as an assistant at A & M in the past. I have no dog in the fight and would ask these questions regardless of the school and potential coach. yeah, hes definitely not my favorite out of the names I've heard brought up.

Gobbla2001
11-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Can someone who has been away from the college game for 10 years really understand what it takes to win in college? Does he understand the recruiting process and how to reach 18 - 23 year olds? I assume he has some understanding of Texas and Texas HS football as he did some time as an assistant at A & M in the past. I have no dog in the fight and would ask these questions regardless of the school and potential coach.

well just look at your examples:

look at Pitt
look at Nebraska
look at Notre Dame
Georgia Tech is middle of the road on that one with Gailey...

USC has done great under a former NFL coach, but they're USC... And Carroll is just a great college coach... he just has that feel about him...

Who else is there? The UNC coach isn't doing too bad, but not too great, but he just looks like a college coach...

Then look at Spurrier... he's a college coach, went to the NFL and couldn't take it, came back down...

June Jones at Hawaii has done a great job, but he's just that college type coach...

I just think that there is such a difference between the college and the pros that you're either great at one or the other...

g$$
11-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
he's saying something completely different...

good try, though...

if it goes down I don't like the hire just yet... I would have waited a bit more... still have Nebraska doing their thing, Michigan doing their thing and it'll keep falling and falling... I'da waited a bit more...

Guys, I said it was being reported by numerous sites & sources. I also said my guy at A&M in the Athletic Dept. told me the same thing (actually Sat. but I have been away due to family stuff). I could care less whose scoop it is, I just want a quality coach.

And yes, Mike Sherman was one of A&M's best recruiters in the early 1990s, OL coach during the good years. He is very smart, a quality human being, has pro & college experience, can scheme with anyone, knows the school, has Texas ties for recruiting, can assemble a great staff, & build the program back. I like him a lot & have said so in every post I have made. Look it up if you desire.

g$$
11-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I heard Tuberville on like Thurs. on XM (ESPN) radio say he liked where he was at and basically wasn't going anywhere.

He is meeting with Auburn President & AD either Sunday or Monday to discuss contract revisions for himself & assts. & upgrades in facilities. If that goes well, he is staying. If not, then ??

A&M reportedly (cannot confirm) told his people they were moving in a different direction over the weekend. Maybe it is a little of both.

IHStangFan
11-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
He is meeting with Auburn President & AD either Sunday or Monday to discuss contract revisions for himself & assts. & upgrades in facilities. If that goes well, he is staying. If not, then ??

A&M reportedly (cannot confirm) told his people they were moving in a different direction over the weekend. Maybe it is a little of both. yeah...in the interview he made comment about "these rumors, I don't know why people stir them up and I wish they would just go away" "I'm happy here" yada yada yada. I very seriously doubt he goes anywhere.

g$$
11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
well just look at your examples:

look at Pitt
look at Nebraska
look at Notre Dame
Georgia Tech is middle of the road on that one with Gailey...

USC has done great under a former NFL coach, but they're USC... And Carroll is just a great college coach... he just has that feel about him...

Who else is there? The UNC coach isn't doing too bad, but not too great, but he just looks like a college coach...

Then look at Spurrier... he's a college coach, went to the NFL and couldn't take it, came back down...

June Jones at Hawaii has done a great job, but he's just that college type coach...

I just think that there is such a difference between the college and the pros that you're either great at one or the other...

Saban, Holtz, etc. are others.

Difference is in college you control everything about your program - from recruiting the kids on down. In the pros, you have a much larger mgmt. team (like GM, scouting dept., etc.).

Bill Belichick failed miserably at Cleveland years ago. Now in NE, he is hailed as great after all the winning. GM Scott Pioli & owner Kraft are heavily involved too. They all click.

It all has to work together. You have far more control in college of your fate.

Big Papa
11-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$

A&M reportedly (cannot confirm) told his people they were moving in a different direction over the weekend. Maybe it is a little of both.

yeah in these situations its usually hard to actually find out...becuase neither side is gonna admit the other didnt want them

Gobbla2001
11-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Saban, Holtz, etc. are others.

Difference is in college you control everything about your program - from recruiting the kids on down. In the pros, you have a much larger mgmt. team (like GM, scouting dept., etc.).

Bill Belichick failed miserably at Cleveland years ago. Now in NE, he is hailed as great after all the winning. GM Scott Pioli & owner Kraft are heavily involved too. They all click.

It all has to work together. You have far more control in college of your fate.

yah...

New England is a pretty good example of how great of an owner they have... their soccer team has made the championship game the past three years in MLS... just haven't won it... he's a very good owner...

but that's another reason I think it's hard to adjust to the college game... you call the shots, not everyone else... some thrive in that situatuion, some don't...

g$$
11-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I saw that too...That's a real reach right there if it winds up happening. Then again they may not be able to find anyone else that wants to go there no matter how much money they want to throw around.

Give me a break.

Yeah, no one likes making lots of $$ at a huge school with all the resources to win. You know like facilities as good as anybody in the country, rich alumni, huge fan base, BCS conference, quality school, etc. Coming off 2 straight wins over arch rival Texas...

Nice try at a dig & dead wrong too. I like Mike Sherman & he will do a fine job if given time.

Russ: Sherman was regarded as a great recruiter under Slocum. Quiet guy but very sound coach. Highly regarded in coaching circles. I like him a lot & used to know him a little bit. For me, it was Tuberville or Sherman, in any order.

g$$
11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
yah...

New England is a pretty good example of how great of an owner they have... their soccer team has made the championship game the past three years in MLS... just haven't won it... he's a very good owner...

but that's another reason I think it's hard to adjust to the college game... you call the shots, not everyone else... some thrive in that situatuion, some don't...

Exactly the point. Sherman could adjust fine but hiring the staff is the key. The guy coached at Tulane, A&M, UCLA, & other places before the pros. Coaching is coaching. He will do well IMO if given time. But so could others too.

Mace Griffin
11-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I dont think Sherman is a bad hire but I dont think he is a great hire either. IMO when you have the resources A&M has you should go out and get someone with a proven track record as a winner at the college level. I would get a coach who has proven he can build a winner and win consistently but Sherman isnt neccessarly a bad hire thats just what I would have done if it was my choice

rancher
11-25-2007, 10:22 PM
His success will depend entirely on who he has as assistant coaches. These are the ones who make or break the program. Example look at Pelli and Muscamp (defensive). The assistant coaches are also he main ones in recuriting.

rancher
11-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Hearing the same thing as you. My source tells me that he will be given a open wallet to get the best assistant coaches available to build the program back. My source also tell me that he is also hearing the name if the Head Coach at Air Force being mention a lot. To what extent he does not know.

BobcatBenny
11-25-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm going to write this part of Mike Sherman's Wikipedia entry now.

Sherman became Head Coach of the Texas A&M Aggies in 2008. Until his hiring, he had never been a college head coach at any level. Sherman guided the team to five winning seasons in six years. From 2010-2012, Sherman led the Aggies to three consecutive victories over Texas A&M's in state rivals the University of Texas. His .661 winning percentage (39-20) over his first five years was second only to RC Slocum in A&M history. Texas A&M and the Texas Tech Red Raiders were the only teams to make bowl games 4 straight years between 2009 and 2012 in the Big XII South.

In spite of receiving a contract extension earlier in the season, Sherman was fired on December 2, 2013, after the Aggies finished with a 4-8 record.

In his six year head coaching career with the Aggies, Sherman compiled a 43-28 regular season record and a 1-3 postseason record.

WylieBulldog92
11-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm kind of indifferent about the decision, they didn't really try hard enough (I think) to get someone of for sure ability to coach on the college level.

Macarthur
11-25-2007, 10:47 PM
i'm still seeing stuff on tedford. i smell something fishy. there's too much noise on sherman for bill byrne to be such a tight lipped AD.

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Phil Bennett's out there, has a great relationship with most of the D/FW and EastTex area coaches, and is possibly the best defensive mind on the open market. I wouldn't mind seeing him and a top-level recruiter in the Mack/Zook/Sarkisian/Stoops/Orgeron mold come in as the assistants. Someone who could sell ice to an Eskimo.

eagles_victory
11-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Phil Bennett's out there, has a great relationship with most of the D/FW and EastTex area coaches, and is possibly the best defensive mind on the open market. I wouldn't mind seeing him and a top-level recruiter in the Mack/Zook/Sarkisian/Stoops/Orgeron mold come in as the assistants. Someone who could sell ice to an Eskimo. sorry i misread that

Adidas410s
11-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Phil Bennett being hired as A&M head coach?

He said have Bennett as an assistant

BobcatBenny
11-26-2007, 12:47 AM
big daddy russ just became my personal hero!

:D

Adidas410s
11-26-2007, 12:53 AM
according to aggieathletics.com

Adidas410s
11-26-2007, 12:54 AM
DMN reporting here that it will be Mike Sherman:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/1126076dnspoamlede.2b70661.html

kaorder1999
11-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Mike Sherman huh? He won a few games in the pros...

JR2004
11-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
DMN reporting here that it will be Mike Sherman:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/1126076dnspoamlede.2b70661.html

LOL...Too funny to see this happen. Way too funny. Those folks down that way sure know how to pick'em!

Adidas410s
11-26-2007, 01:03 AM
It's definitely a "safe pick" to be nice!!! He's gonna love defending the Air Raid offense the next few years. 4 more consecutive wins and Texas Tech will lead the all-time record vs A&M!!! :)

BobcatBenny
11-26-2007, 01:18 AM
:doh: $3 million? Talk about money burning a hole in your pocket.

Byrne is rolling up Benjamins and smoking them.

TexanFan4Life
11-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Speaking as a die hard Texans fan, I am kind of glad Sherman is leaving. I've been wanting a new OC...now it looks like we'll get one. Good hire for A&M also. I'm happy for Mike.

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Russ: Sherman was regarded as a great recruiter under Slocum. Quiet guy but very sound coach. Highly regarded in coaching circles. I like him a lot & used to know him a little bit. For me, it was Tuberville or Sherman, in any order.
I actually read a report somewhere that said Sherman left the recruiting to Bob Toledo and the rest of the group. Can't remember where I read that and don't honestly know if it was reliable, but I know I read it from at least two sources. That's one of the main reasons I wasn't big on the hire, because about 40% of the job at the college level is convincing players to come play for you.

Again, I wasn't around for his years in CS, so you may have more insight than I do, but that's why I was down on the hire.

g$$
11-26-2007, 03:37 AM
Per my source in A&M Athletic Dept. & now backed in print by Houston Chronicle...I love the hire personally & think he will do a great job given time & patience to build the program into a national powerhouse.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5327632.html

I have championed his cause going way back as most of you know from my posts. He fits what we need right now. Texas ties & proven HC (albeit in the pros), knows the school & loves Aggieland from previous 2 stops there, highly organized & smart, very respected in coaching circles, family man, known as great recruiter previously as asst. coach, will be able to assemble top-notch staff, & endorsed by people like Brett Favre, Ron Wolf, Gary Kubiak, & Mike Holmgren.

Some worry about his outward appearance being too much like Fran. That is nonsense - this guy can recruit & scheme with anybody. Quiet by nature but used to media & all that goes with position (intense scrutiny & pressure) after being HC at Green Bay. Offense will be pro-style/multiple with heavy emphasis on counter gap running scheme & spreading the ball around in passing game. Former Aggie great LB/NFL player & current pro coach Johnny Holland is rumored to be new DC, or possibly even Bob Davie (they worked together previously under Slocum in early '90s heyday of great defenses, including #1 overall in total defense in 1991). From 1985-1994, A&M never ranked below #21 nationally in total defense. Holland is a native of Hempstead too. Sherman was the OL coach for years & later OC (briefly) at A&M before accepting pro job under Mike Holmgren.

I have met & spoken with him, but I do not know him personally on that level. I do know how respected he was at A&M previously by everyone, & I mean everyone. I love the hire & support him all the way.

Gig 'em & welcome back home Sherm!

g$$
11-26-2007, 03:49 AM
I actually read a report somewhere that said Sherman left the recruiting to Bob Toledo and the rest of the group. Can't remember where I read that and don't honestly know if it was reliable, but I know I read it from at least two sources. That's one of the main reasons I wasn't big on the hire, because about 40% of the job at the college level is convincing players to come play for you.

Again, I wasn't around for his years in CS, so you may have more insight than I do, but that's why I was down on the hire.

Sherman worked on same staff as Bob Toledo under RC Slocum, but Sherman was regarded as a fine recruiter too. So was Toledo - helluva staff then with Bob Davie, Trent Walters, Kirk Doll, Gary Kubiak, Greg Mattison, even Charlie Strong & Joe Avezzano briefly during the mid to late '80s thru the mid '90s under Jackie Sherrill & Slocum. Most of those guys became HCs later or became assts. in the pros.

I have never heard that from working there nor have I ever read it. I graduated from A&M in 1994 & worked there after that. I certainly do not believe it - guys like Hunter Goodwin & Steve McKinney played for him & endorsed him too. Not doubting you Russ, just the source. Time will tell but I sure like it.

g$$
11-26-2007, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by rancher
Hearing the same thing as you. My source tells me that he will be given a open wallet to get the best assistant coaches available to build the program back. My source also tell me that he is also hearing the name if the Head Coach at Air Force being mention a lot. To what extent he does not know.

HC at Air Force is Troy Calhoun, previously Houston Texans OC last year before returning to his alma mater to replace Fisher DeBerry. I don't see him leaving there right now since he is their HC & he played QB there.

Source was probably saying the past 2 Texans' OCs have moved on to HC jobs in NCAA. That's all I can surmise.

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 03:59 AM
Seems like it's official from everything else I've read the past few hours, g. The program is hemorrhaging right now and someone needs to stop the bleeding. If not, TAMU may wind up turning into Ole Miss. A place that was once a good job, but they're reduced to two- and three-win seasons.

I've never been a fan of the Sherman thing, but I'm intrigued by it. No doubt he can coach with the best of them. Now I want to see if he can translate that talent to 21-year-old kids.

At the very least, Sherman will make the traditions that have been steadily declining in the last decade or so a top priority. We know that. Let's see what kind of staff he brings in and if they get the job done on the recruiting trail.

g$$, I figure he'll let Darnell take complete control of this year's bunch and the game-planning for the postseason, but does he come to campus this week or finish the season with the Texans? Will he start putting together his staff ASAP and hit the recruiting trails or finish the season in Houston? Also, any news on an OC, or is he the kind of coach that would rather run the show himself?

Like I said before, I'd like to see him get a top-shelf DC and an OC and/or recruiting coordinator that can go head-to-head with Stoops and Mack, but that's just me dreaming. I know he'll have a lot of money to dole out to potential assistants and I'm a huge fan of Ed Orgeron the recruiter (though I'm not sold on Ed Orgeron the coach).

Doubt it would happen, but a man can dream. I trust your judgment on most things football and am hoping for at least a return to the days when Kyle was head-and-shoulders above 99% of the other stadiums in terms of game experience. I think a few wins would do the program wonders.

g$$
11-26-2007, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Speaking as a die hard Texans fan, I am kind of glad Sherman is leaving. I've been wanting a new OC...now it looks like we'll get one. Good hire for A&M also. I'm happy for Mike.

Better players make any coach better - remember Sherman's offenses at Green Bay with Brett Favre & Ahman Green in his prime behind a quality o-line? Kubiak still has final say anyway on play calling. Sherman took them to playoffs 4/6 years & record was like 53-27 overall. His teams did struggle in the playoffs though before injuries ravaged the team & he eventually lost his job.

As I have posted elsewhere on here, I love the hire. Those doubting it flat-out don't know the man or his pedigree. Given time & patience, he will do great things at A&M.

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Sherman worked on same staff as Bob Toledo under RC Slocum, but Sherman was regarded as a fine recruiter too. So was Toledo - helluva staff then with Bob Davie, Trent Walters, Kirk Doll, Gary Kubiak, Greg Mattison, even Charlie Strong & Joe Avezzano briefly during the mid to late '80s thru the mid '90s under Jackie Sherrill & Slocum. Most of those guys became HCs later or became assts. in the pros.

I have never heard that from working there nor have I ever read it. I graduated from A&M in 1994 & worked there after that. I certainly do not believe it - guys like Hunter Goodwin & Steve McKinney played for him & endorsed him too. Not doubting you Russ, just the source. Time will tell but I sure like it.
Well that's some good news. I got it from AggieCoach.com and I've heard it somewhere else-- maybe CoachesHotSeat.com???--but can't remember exactly.

Saw it right after I put up that last post, but I've learned to take that site with a grain of salt. Lots of good info, but from time to time you see something that makes you scratch your head.

g$$
11-26-2007, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
LOL...Too funny to see this happen. Way too funny. Those folks down that way sure know how to pick'em!

Who was Mack Brown before Texas? Just another coach who had NEVER won a conference title. He helped UNC become respectable, I will give him that. He still has only 1 conference title & 1 NC in that same year too (2005). Thanks VY - now what? He wins a lot of games but where are the conference championships? You should win a bunch of games at Texas.

Nice try but weak argument. You will regret that silly statement over the next few years. It's gonna take some time & patience though to build the program like Byrne & Sherman want it.

If beating Texas was all that mattered, we would not have fired Fran after beating the Horns 2 straight. A&M is aiming higher than that - like conference & NC. Time will tell.

g$$
11-26-2007, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
It's definitely a "safe pick" to be nice!!! He's gonna love defending the Air Raid offense the next few years. 4 more consecutive wins and Texas Tech will lead the all-time record vs A&M!!! :)

I wouldn't bet on that Adidas, esp. if Leach goes to UCLA as reported. A&M will be much improved soon.

State_In_08
11-26-2007, 04:14 AM
At first I really wasn't liking this hire, but the more I research it and learn more about Mike Sherman, I'm starting to like it. All I know is, he's going to have to either hire some badass recruiters or recruit his face off to keep up with Stoops, Brown, Miles, and others for Southern players.

g$$
11-26-2007, 04:28 AM
Seems like it's official from everything else I've read the past few hours, g. The program is hemorrhaging right now and someone needs to stop the bleeding. If not, TAMU may wind up turning into Ole Miss. A place that was once a good job, but they're reduced to two- and three-win seasons.

I've never been a fan of the Sherman thing, but I'm intrigued by it. No doubt he can coach with the best of them. Now I want to see if he can translate that talent to 21-year-old kids.

At the very least, Sherman will make the traditions that have been steadily declining in the last decade or so a top priority. We know that. Let's see what kind of staff he brings in and if they get the job done on the recruiting trail.

g$$, I figure he'll let Darnell take complete control of this year's bunch and the game-planning for the postseason, but does he come to campus this week or finish the season with the Texans? Will he start putting together his staff ASAP and hit the recruiting trails or finish the season in Houston? Also, any news on an OC, or is he the kind of coach that would rather run the show himself?

Like I said before, I'd like to see him get a top-shelf DC and an OC and/or recruiting coordinator that can go head-to-head with Stoops and Mack, but that's just me dreaming. I know he'll have a lot of money to dole out to potential assistants and I'm a huge fan of Ed Orgeron the recruiter (though I'm not sold on Ed Orgeron the coach).

Doubt it would happen, but a man can dream. I trust your judgment on most things football and am hoping for at least a return to the days when Kyle was head-and-shoulders above 99% of the other stadiums in terms of game experience. I think a few wins would do the program wonders.

Thanks Russ. I am hearing he will split his time between A&M & the Texans thru Dec. 30th. That could change though & I am sure it will be discussed in the press conference. I am also sure he has been working on the staff already - this is huge of course. Probably a mix of college guys & pro guys too. He has been around & knows lots of people. Orgeron can recruit but has lots of baggage. I just don't see it at A&M.

Darnell & others will handle the bowl game & then be let go. That game is basically irrelevant to Sherman, but a win would be nice too. I don't see Sherman being involved at all in that game.

OC: Sherman with someone else having OC title; Sherman will have final say IMO

DC: Johnny Holland possibly, or even old buddy Bob Davie; maybe an old pro friend too like Jon Hoke

Recruiting Coordinator: Tim Cassidy could return from NEB (another old friend); or ??

Would not surprise me one bit to see RC Slocum involved again in some capacity. Not saying he would be on-field coaching, but they go way back like 20+ years. Slocum bleeds maroon & will help if asked.

Lots to be answered, but we have a HC for the future. Rest will be decided shortly. Sherman will hit the ground running. Tireless worker who leaves nothing to chance. Also hungry to be HC again after Green Bay deal where he had 1 bad year & 4/6 playoffs. Recruiting starts now to salvage class & build for the future too. Sherman will be visible & reacquainted with Texas HS Coaches very shortly.

g$$
11-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by State_In_08
At first I really wasn't liking this hire, but the more I research it and learn more about Mike Sherman, I'm starting to like it. All I know is, he's going to have to either hire some badass recruiters or recruit his face off to keep up with Stoops, Brown, Miles, and others for Southern players.

He & staff will recruit their rears off. Remember, when A&M was the top dog in these parts those schools were down (mid to late 1980s thru early 1990s). Heck, OU went thru Gibbs, Schnellenberger, & Blake before hitting on Stoops. LSU was the same - they even bought way out of contract with A&M in 1994 because they were bad & looking for OOC wins. Texas struggled before Mack got there too - lots of empty seats under Mackovic.

This stuff goes in cycles. It will swing again. WINS cure a lot of ills. Lots of talent in these parts to go around too. I am not worried about getting players after he gets his staff together.

g$$
oops!

g$$
sorry double post...

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Looks like the Chronicle answered it for me. Says that he won't be there full-time, but that also leaves room for him doing some work on the side to prepare for his new gig. It'll be a tough month and a half and I can't say I envy him spending 18+ hours a day working as an NFL coach, but a move to the college ranks, where shorter days and more time for family are more common, may be good for him.

Talks about it in the last two paragraphs. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5328187.html)

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 04:57 AM
Looks like the Chronicle answered it for me. Says that he won't be there full-time, but that also leaves room for him doing some work on the side to prepare for his new gig. It'll be a tough month and a half and I can't say I envy him spending 18+ hours a day working as an NFL coach, but a move to the college ranks, where shorter days and more time for family are more common, may be good for him.

Talks about it in the last two paragraphs. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5328187.html)
BTW, after working with the Texans a little this summer, I realize that I'm completely happy in my decision to avoid the NFL's coaching ranks like the plague. Not that I was ever planning on being a coach or anything, but those guys are about as hard core as it comes. For everyone out there who criticizes coaches and players who make several million a year, go look up the average day in the life of a professional athlete or coach. Those 18- to-20-hours of work every day seven days a week for six months out of the year (and their lunch and dinner breaks are spent reviewing film and being productive in some sort of way) are for the birds. Top that off with 12- to 16-hour days during the offseason (more during the months leading up to the draft)... I don't know how they do it.

You know how hard your local high school coaches work? You know how they don't get to see their families until football season's over? Those NFL guys have it even rougher. There's no doubt these guys love what they do, because if they didn't there's no way they could keep up.

g$$
11-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Long hours either way! Esp. in college recruiting, though assts. handle the bulk of that traveling the roads. HC is the closer usually. But obviously he yearned to be a HC again.

Pro coaches have it really rough, no doubt, but they love it & it pays well too.

Did you enjoy working with Tony Wyllie & staff?

g$$
11-26-2007, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I'm going to write this part of Mike Sherman's Wikipedia entry now.

Sherman became Head Coach of the Texas A&M Aggies in 2008. Until his hiring, he had never been a college head coach at any level. Sherman guided the team to five winning seasons in six years. From 2010-2012, Sherman led the Aggies to three consecutive victories over Texas A&M's in state rivals the University of Texas. His .661 winning percentage (39-20) over his first five years was second only to RC Slocum in A&M history. Texas A&M and the Texas Tech Red Raiders were the only teams to make bowl games 4 straight years between 2009 and 2012 in the Big XII South.

In spite of receiving a contract extension earlier in the season, Sherman was fired on December 2, 2013, after the Aggies finished with a 4-8 record.

In his six year head coaching career with the Aggies, Sherman compiled a 43-28 regular season record and a 1-3 postseason record.

Nice modification of Sherman's Green Bay bio...

Like I said, I love the hire & think he will do well given time & patience. Key is hiring staff full of good coaches & great recruiters.

g$$
11-26-2007, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
I'm kind of indifferent about the decision, they didn't really try hard enough (I think) to get someone of for sure ability to coach on the college level.

Proven track record as a COACH, period. Some scoffed at Pete Carroll going to USC after the pros. How has that worked out?

g$$
11-26-2007, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Better players make any coach better - remember Sherman's offenses at Green Bay with Brett Favre & Ahman Green in his prime behind a quality o-line? Kubiak still has final say anyway on play calling. Sherman took them to playoffs 4/6 years & record was like 53-27 overall. His teams did struggle in the playoffs though before injuries ravaged the team & he eventually lost his job.

As I have posted elsewhere on here, I love the hire. Those doubting it flat-out don't know the man or his pedigree. Given time & patience, he will do great things at A&M.

**Note: 53-27 before fateful 4-12 season...**

In his six-year head coaching career with the Packers, Sherman compiled a 57-39 regular season record and a 2-4 postseason record.

2000–04 seasons
In 2000, Sherman became the head coach of the Green Bay Packers. Sherman led the Packers to five consecutive winning seasons from 2000–04. From 2002–2004, Sherman led the Packers to three consecutive NFC North Division titles. From 2000–04, Sherman compiled a 53-27 record, and a .663 winning percentage, which is the second highest in Packers history, trailing that of Vince Lombardi's. Green Bay and the Philadelphia Eagles were the only two teams to make the playoffs for four consecutive seasons from 2001–04.

An offensive-minded coach, Sherman led the Packers to break franchise records for rushing in 2003 and passing in 2004. In 2003, Packers quarterback Brett Favre led the NFL in touchdown passes, in addition to setting a franchise record for rushing yardage.

2005 season
Despite receiving a contract extension earlier in the 2005 season, Sherman was fired by the Packers on January 2, 2006, after compiling a 4–12 record. Injuries were to blame for the poor season, as the Packers lost pro bowlers Javon Walker, Bubba Franks and Ahman Green to Injured Reserved early in the season.

General Manager
Sherman succeeded Ron Wolf as General Manager of the Packers in 2001, taking on the dual role as Head Coach and General Manager. Although the decision was made prior to the 2001 NFL Draft, Wolf was at the controls for the draft that year. Sherman was responsible for the following three drafts (2002–04). Sherman drafted many of the core players that are amongst the Packers in the 2007 season. He drafted Nick Barnett, Aaron Kampman, Corey Williams, and Scott Wells. He also traded for cornerback Al Harris. Sherman's 1st draft pick was Javon Walker who made the Pro Bowl in 2004, was traded to the Denver Broncos by Ted Thompson in 2006. In 2005 the Packers hired Ted Thompson from the Seattle Seahawks to take over Sherman's General Manager duties, although Sherman remained the Packers' head coach.

More info. & bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Sherman

VAMike
11-26-2007, 06:02 AM
You really are not seriously comparing USC with A & M are you??? And let's not forget, PC was not USC's 1st, 2d or 3d choice. Yes things have gone well there but USC is, well...USC

GoStafford
11-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Guys, I said it was being reported by numerous sites & sources. I also said my guy at A&M in the Athletic Dept. told me the same thing (actually Sat. but I have been away due to family stuff). I could care less whose scoop it is, I just want a quality coach.

And yes, Mike Sherman was one of A&M's best recruiters in the early 1990s, OL coach during the good years. He is very smart, a quality human being, has pro & college experience, can scheme with anyone, knows the school, has Texas ties for recruiting, can assemble a great staff, & build the program back. I like him a lot & have said so in every post I have made. Look it up if you desire.

he's an excellent hire in my opinion, two coaching stops and pretty much an honorary aggie to boot, the only other hire that would of made me happier would of been Kubiak himself.

Old Tiger
11-26-2007, 08:04 AM
I don't know if Sherman was the guy they should have hired if they want to turn things around and that is all I'm saying on the subject.

gato 76
11-26-2007, 08:05 AM
What about that ex aggie coach who was at UCLA,I think his name was Toledo he was RC O/C when he was at A&M.I remember he to was very well liked at A&M.I would think he might get a shot.

Global Swarming
11-26-2007, 08:16 AM
To make announcement this morning at 11:00.

Global Swarming
11-26-2007, 08:19 AM
It looks like Mike Sherman will be our new head coach.

Old Tiger
11-26-2007, 08:21 AM
I don't think it's the best hire for them but anywho congrats on your new coach Ags

Phil C
11-26-2007, 11:55 AM
At least they have called a press conference at that time so I assume that is what it is about. We will see. It is almost that time now.

Bull19
11-26-2007, 11:57 AM
i heard on the news this morning (fox 26) that sherman is the new coach

CHS_Grad '85
11-26-2007, 12:01 PM
KBTX.com will have live video...

rockdale80
11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
BBDE just called from press conference. confirmed

Adidas410s
11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
the Ags have crashed aggieathletics.com with so many trying to watch the internet feed

KTJ
11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Congrats

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Contract terms: $1.8 million per over 7 years.

"He told me that Coach Fran was making $2 million a year. I don't want that much. I want less so I can go out and hire the best assistants possible."

-A&M Athletic Director Bill Byrne on Sherman's comments to him

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-26-2007, 01:14 PM
I sat through the press conference, and he introduced himself to us beforehand. Not quite sure as to what kind of coach he will turn out to be, but I'm hoping for the best and he seemed like a really personable man. We shall see what happens.

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I sat through the press conference, and he introduced himself to us beforehand. Not quite sure as to what kind of coach he will turn out to be, but I'm hoping for the best and he seemed like a really personable man. We shall see what happens.
I'm curious, Gary. We'll see what happens.

Daddy D 11
11-26-2007, 01:49 PM
interesting, doesnt he have an aggie background? i dont know too much about the man.

and i would have rather seen Spurrior but atleast its not Fran i guess, Texas A&M deserves the best in my opinion, hopefully they got it in Sherman.

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Long hours either way! Esp. in college recruiting, though assts. handle the bulk of that traveling the roads. HC is the closer usually. But obviously he yearned to be a HC again.

Pro coaches have it really rough, no doubt, but they love it & it pays well too.

Did you enjoy working with Tony Wyllie & staff?
I never got to meet Tony Wyllie. I worked with Kevin Cooper, Zac Emmons, and the rest of the football operations staff. Enjoyed my time there. Great staff. They really work their butts off. It's easy to get on board with what they're doing and their employees never stop. Excellent work atmosphere.

I think Wyllie moved up in the organization (not 100% sure, though) since you were there. I know he's now an executive and in charge in some way, shape, or form, of their entire communications/PR department.

michaelp23
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Nice! I was worried the Aggies might end up with somebody good like Steve Spurrier. You can have Sherman. Maybe now the Longhorns will actually be able to beat you!:D

Bulldog_12
11-26-2007, 04:43 PM
I am a little mixed on this hire. Too many similarities to our previous coach.

That said, I have heard rumors of Kevin Sumlin coming in as OC. If this is the case, and we can grab a good DC, I would be more than ok. Hopefully the Sherminator pans out.

Phil C
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Below is a link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AqYjoM2i_nn3SnNZFvfgOhQ5nYcB?slug=ap-texasam-sherman&prov=ap&type=lgns

crzyjournalist03
11-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Phil should get an award for making the 100th Aggie coaching thread of the day...;) :D

g$$
11-27-2007, 06:59 AM
You really are not seriously comparing USC with A & M are you??? And let's not forget, PC was not USC's 1st, 2d or 3d choice. Yes things have gone well there but USC is, well...USC

How did you get that? I was comparing 2 coaches going from the pro ranks back to college (Carroll & Sherman). That is all. It was not too long ago that USC was way down too. Way down. Not anymore though.

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by gato 76
What about that ex aggie coach who was at UCLA,I think his name was Toledo he was RC O/C when he was at A&M.I remember he to was very well liked at A&M.I would think he might get a shot.

Bob Toledo is now Tulane's HC in his 1st year. Got fired at UCLA then was an asst. again before landing gig in New Orleans.

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:09 AM
I never got to meet Tony Wyllie. I worked with Kevin Cooper, Zac Emmons, and the rest of the football operations staff. Enjoyed my time there. Great staff. They really work their butts off. It's easy to get on board with what they're doing and their employees never stop. Excellent work atmosphere.

I think Wyllie moved up in the organization (not 100% sure, though) since you were there. I know he's now an executive and in charge in some way, shape, or form, of their entire communications/PR department.

You are correct Russ. Wyllie moved up. Glad you got that experience buddy.

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
interesting, doesnt he have an aggie background? i dont know too much about the man.

and i would have rather seen Spurrior but atleast its not Fran i guess, Texas A&M deserves the best in my opinion, hopefully they got it in Sherman.

Yes, this will be his 3rd stint in Aggieland (previously asst. coach)
1989-1993
1995-1996
2007-???

then went to pros (Green Bay, Seattle & Houston)

16 yrs. in college overall
10 yrs. in pros overall

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Congrats

KTJ - where did you find that Aggie rant in your sig? Just wondering...have not seen that. Sounds like an idiot, but every village & every school has them.

g$$
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I don't know if Sherman was the guy they should have hired if they want to turn things around and that is all I'm saying on the subject.

Explain...not sexy enough hire? Only time will tell, but I love it. Curious as to why you say that.

Will Mack fire some guys on staff you think? Akina, MacDuff, etc. Defense has been awful for 2 years now. No excuse for that, esp. pass defense when you had 3 or 4 DBs drafted last year & playing on Sundays (Ross, M. Griffin, C. Griffin, T. Brown).

I think he will after bowl game. Can't stand pat when giving up 30+ pts. & over 500 yds. regularly.