PDA

View Full Version : Palacios needs some lovin'...

Gobbla2001
11-25-2007, 12:18 PM
This team has gotten little or no love from the Victoria advocate this year after making the playoffs for the first time in 43 years... last year 4A Port Lavaca Calhoun made the playoffs for the first time in 45 years and rightfully so had articles all over the Victoria Advocate, even on the front page of the whole thing... it was a great year for Calhoun and it was fun to read about a program having success after many years of down-time...

I was hoping to see some of the same stuff for Palacios this year... I've seen 'em get their butts whupped up and down the field for many years now and they deserve some spotlight... but they're not getting any from the Advocate... so I wrote an editorial to the paper... hopefully it is posted tomorrow... hell I'll take Tuesday...

---

"I don't know if it is because Ben Keating doesn't have a dealership there or what, but why isn't the Palacios football team getting any love from the Advocate? These boys just made the playoffs for the first time in 43 years and the best they get is mention in an article talking about other area teams. Last year when Calhoun made the playoffs for the first time in 45 years you would have thought they won the State Championship or found Noah's Ark or something. They didn't just get a front page spot in the sports section, THEY HAD THE WHOLE FRONT PAGE of the Advocate itself. Last year we knew every time a Calhoun player sneezed you guys covered them so much. This year Palacios plays a Saturday game IN Victoria, WINS their FIRST PLAYOFF GAME in 43 YEARS, yet receives a small, "buried in the back pages" paragraph write-up of the game. Why no love for Palacios? I shouldn't even like Palacios, I'm a Cuero grad and was involved in my fair-share of Shark-killin', but something just isn't right here. I don't know what you guys have planned for next week's Advocate, but how about giving Palacios some love now that your friends in Port Lavaca have been knocked out? Congrats on your 7th straight playoff victory, Palacios (bet y'all didn't know that). Represent 29-3A well."

Lombardi
11-25-2007, 12:22 PM
As long as they keep winning, I'm sure coach Treybig and the sharks could care less about the press.... Good luck sharks! Keep on rolling...

Gobbla2001
11-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Lombardi
As long as they keep winning, I'm sure coach Treybig and the sharks could care less about the press

oh I'm sure of that... but for the fans and for the love of being unbiased I'd just like to see 'em in the spotlight more...

Lombardi
11-25-2007, 12:32 PM
If they pull off a win vs Llano, you and I both know they will get much press....

JT44
11-25-2007, 12:35 PM
There was a little bit for them today on the sports front, but I think the caption on the picture is wrong, you can see it online in the advocate sports section.

SOMETHING IN THE WATER
All three District 29-3A teams still going strong in playoffs
BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER
November 25, 2007
It was easy for Palacios coach Mike Treybig to give thanks over the Thanksgiving weekend.

It was just over two weeks ago when the Sharks were a loss away from missing the playoffs for the 44th consecutive year.

“I remember being sick to my stomach the week of the Yoakum game,” Treybig said. “We had to win just to get into the playoffs. Now, we’re wondering how many third-place teams are still playing football.”

Palacios is one of the third-place teams remaining in postseason play after taking a 28-7 Class 3A, Division II area win over Rio Hondo on Friday night. The Sharks’ success is part of dramatic resurgence by District 29-3A teams.

Cuero (10-2), Gonzales (10-2) and Palacios (9-2) have advanced to the third round of playoffs, the only teams from any district in the Advocate-area to accomplish the feat. Cuero rolled to a 42-14 Division II area win over Port Isabel and Gonzales captured a 24-14 Division I regional win over Hidalgo.

“I just thought we had quality teams in this district,” said first-year Gonzales coach Ricky Lock. “I knew Palacios could run the football, Cuero had big-play potential and I knew our passing game would be good.”

Cuero was the only team to advance beyond the bi-district round last year and there’s no doubt a lack of district competition hurt the Gobblers in the playoffs.

“We’re a far cry from what we had last year,” Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. “You could just see Palacios had a different look about it. The kids there are playing hard. I knew Gonzales had some talent and it’s gotten on a roll. This year it’s helped all of us.”

Cuero is making its fourth straight trip to the third round but Palacios hasn’t been to third round of the playoffs since 1964, when it last made the playoffs, and Gonzales has advanced to the third round for the first time since 1963.

“The people in Gonzales and Palacios are excited so the kids are excited,” Reeve said. “That certainly helps the kids sustain momentum. I know the people over here are always excited from the time we play our first scrimmage.”

Gonzales and Palacios are in unfamiliar territory but the players have done a good job of dealing with the hoopla.

“We just focus one week at a time,” Lock said. “I told the kids the only thing we’re going to worry about is the team we’re going to play next. We have a good senior class and they’ve done a good of being leaders.”

“There’s not a lot of rah-rah or motivational-type speeches we’ve given to the kids,” Treybig said. “This is sort of fun. The kids know if they want to continue to make it happen we have to keep winning.”

Cuero has learned from experience the way to keep playing is to continue to get better.

“You want to be playing at this time of year,” Reeve said. “It’s not where you started. You have to continue to show improvement and the kids have to be excited about what they’re doing.”

Gobbla2001
11-25-2007, 12:38 PM
yah, I read that before writing my deal... just wish they'd get their own deal... last year they were digging up old Calhoun players and coaches and getting their takes on the big year and all... would just like to see the same for Palacios...

JT44
11-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Last week or two they had an article with UT assistant, I think Giles, he's a Palacios grad and he talked about this years team and coaching on the longhorn staff.

but, yes it's nowhere near what they gave Calhoun last year

Also, they never really covered Gonzales that much over the last few years until now.

Gobbla2001
11-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Oh yah... I forgot about that one with Giles... my bad... maybe I didn't give 'em enough credit...

anyhoo is this the picture you're talkin' about?

http://media.victoriaadvocate.com/smedia/2007/11/24/23/230-mf_playoffs_112507.highlight.prod_affiliate.31.jpg

JT44
11-25-2007, 12:45 PM
yup, I though buckley was #44 the caption say that's him #65,

if not #44 a LB for palacios was all over the place against cuero

etbu
11-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I saw Calhoun last week and they were not that impressive so there plus did they not loose this weekend? GO SHARKS

Gobbla2001
11-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by etbu
I saw Calhoun last week and they were not that impressive so there plus did the not loose this weekend? GO SHARKS

well they had been hit by the injury bug big time... so they may not have looked as hot... I haven't seen 'em since they've been winning so I don't know...

this post really wasn't a slam on Calhoun, they were just my example...

KingRob
11-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, I don't want to jump the gun here, but if Cuero and Palacios both win, then they'll have another meeting! I would say in Victoria, so the Advocate would have no choice but to write articles on them. Maybe they have slow paper sales in Palacios. Mike Forman tends to have favorites, and a lot of people say Cuero is one of them!!:D :o :p

Just my opinion people, don't beat up on me!:smoker:

Old Tiger
11-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm sure they get a lot of love from the Advocate whenever powerlifting season comes around.

crabman
11-25-2007, 03:02 PM
#44 and #65 are brothers. One is Aaron Buckley. The other one is Alex. Aaron is going to A&M.

Gobbla2001
11-25-2007, 03:06 PM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8507/bigboatpn7.jpg

IHStangFan
11-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8507/bigboatpn7.jpg LMAO!!! NIIIIICE!!

Gontex
11-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Victoria Advocate (editorial board) made decision not to cover some of the towns that are on the fringe of Victoria's coverage. They made some serious staff cuts. This definitely has affected their coverage of Gonzales. Mike Forman does spend a lot of time covering Cuero. He does a good job in his coverage of teams that management will allow him to cover. Gonzales played Ingleside in Victoria and the Advocate did not even send a reporter to cover the game. I was surprised to see them mention Gonzales in the article on 29AAA, but I guess it would have been difficult for them to not say something about the Apaches.

Johnny 5
11-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Did not feel like looking for the game thread . . . sorry to hijack the topic . . .

Congratz to the Sharks.

The offense was simple and effective. RH looked like they did not want to play anymore. I do not know if it was RH's mentality, or Palacios is very good, but it was the ugliest game I have seen by the Bobcats this year.

RH is returning about 75% of its starters, so hopefully we will get past the 2nd round next year.

Good Job Sharks.

BillyChapel
11-26-2007, 11:04 AM
The sharks must be pretty dang good. Should they beat Llano/

VoiceOfReason
12-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Nick West and his staff at the Palacios Beacon are giving the Sharks plenty of love. Check out their website.

rodeo-rider
12-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by BillyChapel
The sharks must be pretty dang good. Should they beat Llano/

they'll be pretty dang good if they beat Cuero...:dispntd:

super1
12-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
Mike Forman tends to have favorites, and a lot of people say Cuero is one of them!!:D :o :p

No doubt! :)