PDA

View Full Version : Argyle perspective

firstdown
11-25-2007, 11:28 AM
This is the game summary off of our booster club site. Great job Andy and thanks for all the hard work. T.D.

Check it out!
www.Argyleboosterclub.com

Fortitude Carries the Eagles to Playoff Win #2
11/25/07

By Andy Smith

Argyle Advances With 21-8 Win Over Graham
It really was a dark and stormy night in Stephenville during Argyle's victory over the Graham Steers. Add a bitter cold north wind to the equation and it was clear from the opening minute that the outcome of this game would be determined by the team that could overcome the elements as much as their opponent.

Once again, the Eagles showed fortitude and determination as they rallied from an early 8-0 deficit to score 21 consecutive points to get the victory. And that fortitude was on display all night as the unsung heros of the night had to be the offensive line. Kyle Frizzell ran for over 130 tough yards as the o-line overwhelmed what was a seasoned and tough Graham defense.

"We made a commitment to be an attacking, physical unit tonight and we were able to have some success in the running game", said offensive line coach Steve Chancelor. Led by senior center Corey White and senior left guard Matt Grounds, the Eagles averaged nearly 5 yards a carry in the game. The seniors were joined on the line by juniors Lloyd Marshall and Chas Eads with sophomore Matt Thompson as they also did not allow QB JJ Harp to be sacked.

Argyle's defense also had another terrific night allowing less than 150 yards total offense to the Steers while forcing 4 turnovers and allowing 0 yards of passing. Yes, that's 0 yards and no completions allowed in the game. This stellar effort comes after last week's shutout against Clyde. Junior cornerback Matt Moore made two very big plays to as he grabbed his 3rd and 4th interceptions of the season to stop a 3rd quarter Graham comeback attempt.

"Our defense showed a lot of fortitude (there's that word again) tonight in stopping Graham" , said Coach Todd Rodgers. "Those two stops in the 3rd quarter were very big and came because our kids kept fighting until they found something that worked."

At game time the temperature was 35 degrees with a steady rain and gusting wind blowing in from the north. Argyle elected to receive while Graham had the wind at their back for the opening kickoff. The Eagles were forced to punt on their first possession setting Graham up at the Argyle 45 yard line. The Eagle's defense stepped up with senior DL Colin Mock coming up with a couple of big hits on the Steer's running back to force them to punt.

With Argyle pinned deep in their own territory at the 3 yard line, the ball skidded loose on first down and a hustling Chas Eads recovered it in the end zone to save what would have been a Graham TD. The Eagles then free-kicked from their own 15 yard line after a 5 yard penalty setting Graham up in Eagle territory at the 45 yard line. Graham went to their running game and 5 plays later found the end zone.

Up 8-0, Graham went for the two point coversion but Colby Oberle and Michael Stein were in perfect position to break up the pass attempt with about 5 minutes to go in the 1st quarter. The Eagles then returned the kickoff to the 35 yard line and showed some of that fortitude that has made them so tough all year.

Going into the rain and wind, the Eagle offense went into high gear ripping off big chunks of yardage on the ground and through the air. QB JJ Harp, who made plays all night with his quickness, decision making, and strong arm, found leading receiver Brady Brown for a 9-yard TD pass to get Argyle on the board.

"Our guiding principle is to take what the defense gives us and we were able to do that tonight", said head coach Todd Rodgers. "They loaded up to try and stop the passing game and we were able to force some long drives on the ground behind a great effort by our offensive line and Kyle Frizzell".

With the momentum now on Argyle's side, the defense once again stopped Graham's potent offense and forced a punt as the second quarter began. The Argyle offense was also forced to punt setting up another huge momentum swing for the Eagles. The Steers returner fumbled the punt allowing deep snapper Matt Thompson to hustle downfield and make the recovery which set the Eagles up at the Steer 11 yard line.

On a 3rd and 10, JJ Harp scrambled up the middle, broke a couple of tackles and picked up 10 1/2 yards to set the Eagles up with 1st and goal. 1st and goal usually means it's time for the 'bulls" short yardage offense and once again they did not disappoint. Senior RB Brandon Dougbeck ran behind blocks by Corey White and Matt Grounds for the 1 yard TD. Ben Parks extra point landed somewhere near Weatherford and the Eagles led 14-8 with just under 5 minutes remaining in the half.

The second half began with Graham pinned back on their one yard line after Park's kickoff, good coverage by Argyle's kicking team, and a costly penalty on the Steers. Graham showed why they are a top 10 3A team as they moved deliberately down the field in 5 yard chunks. On a 3rd and 7 at Argyle's 30 yard line, Matt Moore made the first of his two interceptions to give stop the Steer's drive.

The Eagles then turned the ball - they turned it over twice on the night which was impressive given the miserable conditions - setting the Steers up in Eagle territory again. But with defensive linemen Cooper Sewell, Eddie Eckert, and David Johnson applying pressure, Matt Moore came up with his second interception on the night to stop the last real scoring threat by Graham.

Argyle's offense then took control of the game as Harp connected with Brady Brown on a nice gains through the air and Frizzell's tough running setting the Eagles up with 3rd and 11 at the Steers 20 as time expired in the 3rd quarter. Now going into the wind/rain, JJ threw a perfect pass to Justin McGuffey for a 15 yard gain setting Argyle up with a 1st and goal. On first down, Frizzell broke off the left side behind a nice block by Llyod Marshall for the 5-yard TD.

Although the Eagles were well below their season average in the passing game, JJ made key plays all night as he completed 10 of 13 passes with completions to 5 different receivers.

In the fourth quarter the Argyle defense dominated never allowing Graham into Eagle territory. David Johnson came up with another big sack ending the last Steer drive as they went for it on 4th and 15.

Argyle now advances to play the Snyder Tigers next Friday night in Abilene. The game is set for 7PM at Abilene Christian's Shotwell Stadium. Synder, which began play back in 1928, defeated Monahans to set up what will surely be another great test for Argyle.

Make your plans now to get to Abilene early and show your support for the Eagles. Oh by the way, the forecast calls for partly cloudy skies and a high of 66 degrees on Friday - not that the weather really matters all that much to this team or to Eagle fans

Ranger Mom
11-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Friday night at Shotwell Stadium???

I thought Estacada had already booked it!!:confused:

firstdown
11-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Friday night at Shotwell Stadium???

I thought Estacada had already booked it!!:confused:

I don't know. Andy is usually right. I would think we could find something in the middle.

Ranger Mom
11-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by firstdown
I don't know. Andy is usually right. I would think we could find something in the middle.

Shotwell would be great for me!! I just thought I had read somewhere last night that it was out due to the Estacado game.

firstdown
11-25-2007, 11:43 AM
My vote is C.H. Collins in Denton.:D

Ranger Mom
11-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by firstdown
My vote is C.H. Collins in Denton.:D

That would work for me too!!

My parents live right off of 380....about a mile down 1385. I could stay with them and then hit the Permian game on the way through Abilene!!:D

VWG
11-25-2007, 12:33 PM
This is great. Go read the Denton Record Chronicle story, then read the WF Times Record News story after reading this one.
Take a look at the difference in stats compiled, and just the way that the papers and booster club put their spins on the game.

The internet is a great thing. You can read anybody's views from anywhere.
Argyle was my sleeper pick in Region I. Hasn't changed. Harp is the OC's son, a senior, and a good QB. The only thing about Snyder is that their backfield of Clay and Day is better than McCoy and Holub from Graham... and Holub avg'd. (depending on which stats you look at) about 5-6 yards a carry against Argyle.
Also, I have heard from someone at the game that Graham was so set on stopping the pass they left Sparks (LB) in the box by himself. So... good job by the Argyle OC to see what anybody should see.... 5 on 5 in the box out of the spread you run the ball!!!!!

Tiger Baseball
11-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Argyle/Snyder 7:30 Friday @ Graham. Snyder is the visitors.

BILLYFRED0000
11-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Tiger Baseball
Argyle/Snyder 7:30 Friday @ Graham. Snyder is the visitors.

How is that for Irony. Graham hosting the team they lost or hoped to play. I like Argyle's chances. If they keep that D up they can play. We have seen them up close this year and I was impressed with them. I thought they had a chance to get by Graham but thought the weather would mitigate it. Coach Mccoy made a major mistake by not crowding the box in bad weather and making Harp try to throw in the wind and rain. We always press against the spread. Most teams are not pinpoint accurate and with 6 or 7 in the box we can blitz and stop the run or force the quick throw. Mccoy in those weather conditions should have done the same. Hard to throw and catch and manuever on a wet slick field with a wet ball in the wind.

alaskacat
11-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Swami says:

Argyle 21
Snyder 0

Stownhorse
11-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That would work for me too!!

My parents live right off of 380....about a mile down 1385. I could stay with them and then hit the Permian game on the way through Abilene!!:D

Wait who is Permian playing in abilene? Estacado?

Snyder_TigerFan
11-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Wait who is Permian playing in abilene? Estacado?

Yes, cause the 5A team that they were suppose to play didn't want any part of them, so the UIL decided to moved Estacado up.;)

Euless Trinity on Saturday.

Matthew328
11-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Permian plays Euless Trinity Saturday at 2:00pm at Shotwell

WF Rider plays Lubbock Estacado Friday 7:30pm at Shotwell

Stownhorse
11-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Yes, cause the 5A team that they were suppose to play didn't want any part of them, so the UIL decided to moved Estacado up.;)

Euless Trinity on Saturday.

Im sorry that I dont keep up with the Lubbock teams cuz they suck so bad.

Budman007
11-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
How is that for Irony. Graham hosting the team they lost or hoped to play. I like Argyle's chances. If they keep that D up they can play. We have seen them up close this year and I was impressed with them. I thought they had a chance to get by Graham but thought the weather would mitigate it. Coach Mccoy made a major mistake by not crowding the box in bad weather and making Harp try to throw in the wind and rain. We always press against the spread. Most teams are not pinpoint accurate and with 6 or 7 in the box we can blitz and stop the run or force the quick throw. Mccoy in those weather conditions should have done the same. Hard to throw and catch and manuever on a wet slick field with a wet ball in the wind.

BillyFred is right on about Argyle. Our boys (Bridgeport) beat Argyle by pressing Harp and staying in his face all night. I think we ended up with 10-12 sacks and 4 picks. If the defense lays back Harp will pick it apart with a very good group of big, athletic receivers.

alaskacat
11-25-2007, 06:37 PM
AAAh but if they over pursue JJ Harp like that, they can run the football, delays and mis direction are things of beauty with an overly aggressive defense I think last week proved that:)