PDA

View Full Version : Project Alaska Turf

3afan
11-25-2007, 09:57 AM
cool story: http://www.projectalaskaturf.com/

http://www.projectalaskaturf.com/images/banner.jpg

Old Green
11-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I saw this on TV the other day. They have to fly to all their games and have to have lookouts for the polar bears roaming around.

alaskacat
11-25-2007, 10:56 AM
As most of you know, I live in Alaska, and support the Nikiski Bulldogs....all 16 of them .

We played Barrow this year and lost, which was a shocker for us as usually Nikiski goes deep into the playoffs.
To play Barrow it is a 4 hour plane ride, that the Barrow community has to pay for a whole charter plane, but that is the way it is in Alaska. Each community needs raise about 200,000 for transportation costs for the regular season of ten games. If you make the playoffs, it requires more money just to get there.

If you are in like the rail belt league, you can drive to most locations, but league games then can be over 500 miles one way from like /delta Junction to Homer .

North Pole plays some of the anchorage schools and it is over 400 miles.

One humorous thing about the opening game in Barrow last year was half time was interrupted for the better part of an hour because a Polar Bear was on the field:)

If you want a glimpse into Alaska football, my pictures are located at ronleonard.eventpictures.com

Old Green
11-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by alaskacat
As most of you know, I live in Alaska, and support the Nikiski Bulldogs....all 16 of them .

We played Barrow this year and lost, which was a shocker for us as usually Nikiski goes deep into the playoffs.
To play Barrow it is a 4 hour plane ride, that the Barrow community has to pay for a whole charter plane, but that is the way it is in Alaska. Each community needs raise about 200,000 for transportation costs for the regular season of ten games. If you make the playoffs, it requires more money just to get there.

If you are in like the rail belt league, you can drive to most locations, but league games then can be over 500 miles one way from like /delta Junction to Homer .

North Pole plays some of the anchorage schools and it is over 400 miles.

One humorous thing about the opening game in Barrow last year was half time was interrupted for the better part of an hour because a Polar Bear was on the field:)

If you want a glimpse into Alaska football, my pictures are located at ronleonard.eventpictures.com That was an interesting show. Barrow missed out on the playoffs going 5-4.

ILS1
11-25-2007, 11:24 AM
If I remember correctly, the 2A Johnson City HC, used to coach in Alaska.

:D :D