PDA

View Full Version : 2A Champion vs. 4A Champion and 3A Champion vs. 5A Champion

TexanFan4Life
11-25-2007, 03:46 AM
When I was a freshman at Sealy High School I walked past TJ Mills, our football coach at the time, one afternoon on my way to track practice and asked him if he thought it'd be a good idea for Sealy to play Katy to determine who was truly the better team in Texas. His response to me was "That's a good idea, but their Lines would be so much bigger than ours." Is that enough of a reason why these games SHOULD NOT be played? Or should we just play them and see what happens?

michaelp23
11-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I'd like to see the two champs form each class (Div. 1 and Div. 2) play each other. I never have liked having two champs from each class. There are a total of 12 state champs in football. That's way too many!:mad:

Emerson1
11-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Bad idea. No way they would even keep it close. It would be 55-7 with the bigger schools starters sitting most of the second half.

charlesrixey
11-25-2007, 05:20 PM
only if it was 3a vs 2a, 5a vs 4a

RdaleBoi08
11-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Agree With Charles Be Better If It Was That Way...Because 5A vs 1A or 2A Would Be Bad Situation to put the smalls schools in

Emerson1
11-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by RdaleBoi08
Agree With Charles Be Better If It Was That Way...Because 5A vs 1A or 2A Would Be Bad Situation to put the smalls schools in
Southlake carrols jv > 1a state champion

JR2004
11-25-2007, 06:05 PM
The size on the lines and the depth would equal a disaster for the smaller schools against 4A and 5A state champions.

rockdale80
11-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Possible, but also a stretch. Atleast in my opinion.

SNYDER325TIGERS
11-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
I'd like to see the two champs form each class (Div. 1 and Div. 2) play each other. I never have liked having two champs from each class. There are a total of 12 state champs in football. That's way too many!:mad:

I like this one, I think the champs from DI and DII should play each other...

alaskacat
11-25-2007, 06:23 PM
I agree with the DIV 1 Div II play each other, they been playing with each other all year anyway, and usually the DIV II teams have better records in their own conferences as a whole.

On a whole DIV II is tougher across the board, plus have to play one more game to get it done.

WylieBulldog92
11-25-2007, 11:40 PM
SLC would've destroyed Eylau, Cedar Hill would've destroyed Liberty Hill, same goes for the 4A against the 2A, it would be horrible.

Footballhudini
11-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Even then, didn't we see on of last year's defending 2a champions get THRASHED by a 3a champion this year?

whtfbplaya
11-26-2007, 12:17 AM

Better, they would kill them. There jv would play with most 2a and 3a teams.

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 12:17 AM
The top five or so 3A programs can compete with anyone in 4A (see Everman, Abilene Wylie), the top five or so 2A programs can compete with anyone in 3A (see Celina, Tatum when they won the 3A title with 2A numbers), etc, etc.

But when you start pitting top 2A teams against top 4A teams, it starts getting a little hairy. Granted, I think Celina and Tatum could've hung with the big boys, but hanging with a team like Copperas Cove and beating a team like Copperas Cove are two entirely different things.

IHStangFan
11-26-2007, 12:23 AM
1983 Daingerfield -vs- some of the bigger schools would be interesting :)

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
1983 Daingerfield -vs- some of the bigger schools would be interesting :)
'83 Daingerfield beat 4A semifinalists Carthage in non-district play that year.

TexanFan4Life
11-26-2007, 01:23 AM
I posted a while back about Division I and Division II winners from each class playing each other. It'd be a great idea. I suppose the UIL doesn't make that happen simply because they don't want to cut any further into basketball season.

Emerson1
11-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The top five or so 3A programs can compete with anyone in 4A (see Everman, Abilene Wylie), the top five or so 2A programs can compete with anyone in 3A (see Celina, Tatum when they won the 3A title with 2A numbers), etc, etc.

I don't. Maybe if you take one of the 01/02 Everman teams. Heck, in 2005 Gainesville barely beat Forney and they lost in the state championship. We were BAD that year

charlesrixey
11-26-2007, 04:52 PM

But when you start pitting top 2A teams against top 4A teams, it starts getting a little hairy. Granted, I think Celina and Tatum could've hung with the big boys, but hanging with a team like Copperas Cove and beating a team like Copperas Cove are two entirely different things.

well said

big daddy russ
11-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't. Maybe if you take one of the 01/02 Everman teams. Heck, in 2005 Gainesville barely beat Forney and they lost in the state championship. We were BAD that year
Abilene Wylie does it every year. They only lost by a TD to Brownwood in non-district. All those East Texas schools (Atlanta, Liberty-Eylau, etc.) also do it on a yearly basis. West Orange-Stark/Bay City, Cuero/Bay City, etc, etc. Gilmer had more potential Division IA football recruits on their team last year (including underclassmen) than any 4A school this side of Brenham.

rockdale80
11-26-2007, 10:45 PM

What about the next year when Tatum was the #1 team in 2a and played Gilmer who was #1 in 3a? It got ugly in a hurry. Gilmer simply had a deeper roster, and most of the boys from Tatum were playing both ways. Just saying there is more parity than you may think. Sure Tatum won 3a with 2a numbers, but consistently(say over a 5 year span) I dont think they could compete. Chalk it up to the lack of a deep talent pool.

Emerson1
11-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
What about the next year when Tatum was the #1 team in 2a and played Gilmer who was #1 in 3a? It got ugly in a hurry. Gilmer simply had a deeper roster, and most of the boys from Tatum were playing both ways. Just saying there is more parity than you may think. Sure Tatum won 3a with 2a numbers, but consistently(say over a 5 year span) I dont think they could compete. Chalk it up to the lack of a deep talent pool.
I don't think it would be a huge upset if the 2a DI champion could beat the 3a DII champion or even DI, the difference is nothing like the jump from 3a DI to 4a DII.

lion75
11-27-2007, 12:00 PM
1983 Daingerfield -vs- some of the bigger schools would be interesting :) They would have destroyed some of the 5a schools. Their defense had 10 seniors and all got D1 scholarships. The junior was 300 pound Willie Everett. I have only heard of one school get that many scholarships (Miami Northwestern)

ronwx5x
11-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
only if it was 3a vs 2a, 5a vs 4a

OK, should it be 5A vs 4A or 4A vs. 3A? Maybe everyone except 5A has to play a classification above as well as below? Don't think that would work too well.:confused: :thinking:

kepdawg
11-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
OK, should it be 5A vs 4A or 4A vs. 3A? Maybe everyone except 5A has to play a classification above as well as below? Don't think that would work too well.:confused: :thinking:

Just do away with the classifications all together! Then most of the small schools would never even make the playoffs!

lakers
11-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Just do away with the classifications all together! Then most of the small schools would never even make the playoffs!

Now that would be completely UNFAIR!!!

kepdawg
11-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by lakers
Now that would be completely UNFAIR!!!

You can only play 11 at a time! ;)

DUKE22
11-27-2007, 02:03 PM
1983 Daingerfield -vs- some of the bigger schools would be interesting :) I agree that would be interesting. I would have liked to have seen 04 Gilmer give it a try as well. I know it is a different sport but I believe that Paducah, Texas when they had Will Flemons in the late 80's might have beat all five state champs in basketball throughout the season. They were just 1a.

michaelp23
11-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
You can only play 11 at a time! ;)

That's what we have to keep telling the Clyde's of the world when they complain about having to play us....:bigcry: :bigcry:

Panther One
11-27-2007, 03:30 PM
In my opinion, the 2002 Everman team could have hung with anyone in the state on any level.

sweetwater07
11-27-2007, 04:01 PM

IDK Alto is pretty sick from what i've heard

ronwx5x
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Why not just have 12 classifications, 1A through 12A. Might make for some pretty small districts though.

On second thought, someone would decide we should have two divisions for each classification, so 24 state champions.

In summary, a bad idea!