PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country an answer to HS athletics

Old Cardinal
10-30-2002, 06:12 PM
How do you build lungs and stamina in Jr. & Senior High? Well a few schools stress Cross Country for both girls and boys. District meet, 1st place honors were won by Bridge City-HS Boys, HS Girls, JV Boys, JV Girls, Jr. Hi boys, and Jr Hi. Girls. I like to watch the football 7th A and B and the 8th A and B teams on Tuesday evenings, and I also enjoy the 9th graders. Now some of these young athlete's join the Cross Country team and run, mainly on Saturdays. Coach Miller and Coach Knight have build a LARGE DYNASTY of distant runners. Each of these various age teams only place second once or twice over a two year span, in even the BIG meets! It's kind of interesting, they get on the internet and find running events year round- many that are not school related functions, and run it those too. A van load of kids might be headed out to Louisiana or other parts of Texas, just because there is a challenge somewhere! This program is almost unbelievable, but some other good programs can be found in Waller, Liberty, Barbers Hill, West, Lufkin, Cameron and Elgin, and a few other places. I really think that these little Jr. Hi. youth are positioning themselves to be better HS athletes with their Cross Country efforts. It also helps in winning those District Track Meets every year for the HS program......Can Cross Country enhance the Football program over the years? I definately think it can.

<small>[ October 30, 2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

bearcat1
10-30-2002, 11:33 PM
That is very impressive what you all are doing with your cross country teams from jr. high on up. I would think outside the physical benefits, competitiveness and dedication are two other areas that this is helping to develop. Thanks for the interesting reading.
bc

Old Cardinal:
How do you build lungs and stamina in Jr. & Senior High? Well a few schools stress Cross Country for both girls and boys. District meet, 1st place honors were won by Bridge City-HS Boys, HS Girls, JV Boys, JV Girls, Jr. Hi boys, and Jr Hi. Girls. I like to watch the football 7th A and B and the 8th A and B teams on Tuesday evenings, and I also enjoy the 9th graders. Now some of these young athlete's join the Cross Country team and run, mainly on Saturdays. Coach Miller and Coach Knight have build a LARGE DYNASTY of distant runners. Each of these various age teams only place second once or twice over a two year span, in even the BIG meets! It's kind of interesting, they get on the internet and find running events year round- many that are not school related functions, and run it those too. A van load of kids might be headed out to Louisiana or other parts of Texas, just because there is a challenge somewhere! This program is almost unbelievable, but some other good programs can be found in Waller, Liberty, Barbers Hill, West, Lufkin, Cameron and Elgin, and a few other places. I really think that these little Jr. Hi. youth are positioning themselves to be better HS athletes with their Cross Country efforts. It also helps in winning those District Track Meets every year for the HS program......Can Cross Country enhance the Football program over the years? I definately think it can.

tigers05
10-31-2002, 09:10 AM
SOPHMORE RYNE SMITH WAS 8-3A DISTRICT CHAMP AT CROSS COUNTRY!!!!!!

3adownlowfreak
10-31-2002, 08:33 PM
And Adam Hassell (Glen Rose) got 8th place in district 8-3A. And Clay Roberts got 5th.
Yeah!!!!! way to go tigers

Rabbit'93
10-31-2002, 11:31 PM
I would have to agree that CC is a great way to get in shape, but you would have to maintain that condition through a football season. Plus with CC it is a long sustained activity whereas in football you have short bursts of energy. I do think that it will help build stamina and lung capacity. If you had some sort of off-season program or a program through the summer it could be very beneficial.

Old Cardinal
11-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Most of these kids train year round to some extent. There are running teams to join, separate from school activities...Bridge City has a Freshmen that wins a lot of the meets across Texas for HS level. That boy has the potential to run in the Olympics some day! Good developed muscle texture, according to the experts on bio-mechnics, is quite transferable to shorter burst of speed-I have read.

footballrules
11-01-2002, 06:25 PM
Yeah!! Morgan got 1st in Varsity girls district and she is a freshman. Good luck Morgan!!