PDA

View Full Version : Region II GotW:(State Quarterfinal) Gilmer (12-0) vs. Dallas Roosevelt (11-1)

charlesrixey
11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
after Roosevelt's 48-22 win over Royse City, this should be a beauty

Vince McNeil is a terrific talent for the Mustangs

Buckeyeman
11-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Where will the game be played?

charlesrixey
11-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Buckeyeman

haven't heard yet, but i've been gone all day

IHStangFan
11-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Roosevelt looks like they are firing on all 8. I'll take them by 7.

charlesrixey
11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
on the location,

matt328 is saying probably mesquite on saturday

kaorder1999
11-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Saturday, 7:00, Mesquite Memorial

kaorder1999
11-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Gilmer better play a lot better than they did today against Mabank in order to beat Roosevelt.

Buckeyeman
11-24-2007, 07:27 PM
6:00 pm Saturday according to Smoaky.com

Dominicfrank
11-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Another huge game in 3A. Might have to make this one.

DU_stud04
11-24-2007, 08:46 PM
ill be there

charlesrixey
11-24-2007, 09:58 PM
the winner of this one will likely play Wylie in the semifinals

D-1 has some rediculous matchups!

lostaussie
11-24-2007, 10:24 PM
we seem to play up or down to the competition. If we don't get up for Roosevelt, we can get out the roundballs. this game is gonna be tough as roosevelt seems to be hitting on all 8 right now. I got a bad feeling about this one. We do have a good history in memorial stadium though, so we shall see.

charlesrixey
11-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
we seem to play up or down to the competition. If we don't get up for Roosevelt, we can get out the roundballs. this game is gonna be tough as roosevelt seems to be hitting on all 8 right now. I got a bad feeling about this one. We do have a good history in memorial stadium though, so we shall see.
Gilmer has the ability to win it all, but this will be a doozy

good luck to the buckeyes

JR2004
11-25-2007, 03:23 PM
This is without a doubt the biggest game in the history of Roosevelt football. This is the first time they've played in a regional final (They've been to the third round of the playoffs three other times, but all those were a regional semi-final game.)

I thought Velt was the one team in the region that could mess up a Gilmer-RC matchup and they did just that. Roosevelt is not your typical DISD football team. I'm sure by gametime several of the East Texas folks over on Smoaky will have Roosevelt built up to be the devil incarnate, (just as several of them did with Madison in the past) but this Roosevelt team is pretty good and for the most part pretty disciplined. They do have a few guys who like to talk some, but I'd challenge anyone to find me a team that doesn't have a few of those guys. There's not one team left that can say that.

I'm not much on how a uniform looks, but I did like seeing Velt in their Stormtrooper uniforms last week. (I know the blue unis drive G and many others nuts...lol.) Hope they wear that again this week.

Aesculus gilmus
11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Sadly, you are right about the Smoaky posters. It's just so predictable. They've started in today charging the DISD school with lack of discipline just out of habit.

They did the same thing to Madison three years ago. It was like Don Quixote tilting at windmills. I was at that game and I didn't understand what they were talking about. A lot of the prudes were acting shocked and aghast at the halftime show, for Pete's sake. It's like they went into the game with a chip on their shoulder seeing slights and offense even where none was intended.

I'll repeat here what I said on Smoaky earlier today about the trash-talking issue:

I think if there are any "sensitive guys" playing football who cannot endure so-called "trash talk" without going berserk, they probably ought to have stayed in the band. But then again, there may be "trash talking" bands out there, for all I know.

My position is if you can back up your talk with action, go ahead and talk. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me ..." and all that.

Now if a team "brings it" with "sticks and stones," yeah, throw the flag. In fact, call out the constabulary and send them to Lew Sterrett.

Matthew328
11-25-2007, 04:30 PM
I heard game time is 6:30

lostaussie
11-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I heard game time is 6:30 really does not matter. the Gilmer faithful will start rolling in about 4:30. I have never seen a team thats fans get to games as early as ours do!!!!!!!

JR2004
11-25-2007, 07:26 PM
really does not matter. the Gilmer faithful will start rolling in about 4:30. I have never seen a team thats fans get to games as early as ours do!!!!!!!

I'll be interested to see if Roosevelt can put 1500 people in the stands. I seriously doubt it happening though since Carter and Skyline are playing on Saturday as well. I'm hopeful that Velt can have a decent sized crowd since the game is just about a 20 minute drive for them.

Maybe I can meet a few of y'all Gilmer folks this time around before the game if y'all would like to.

catman
11-25-2007, 07:33 PM
I might have to make it to this game. I'll probably combine it with the game between Longview and Leander in Corsicana @ 2.

lostaussie
11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I'll be interested to see if Roosevelt can put 1500 people in the stands. I seriously doubt it happening though since Carter and Skyline are playing on Saturday as well. I'm hopeful that Velt can have a decent sized crowd since the game is just about a 20 minute drive for them.

Maybe I can meet a few of y'all Gilmer folks this time around before the game if y'all would like to. i'm in JR. i'm sure i will be there around 5. i had your number but my phone flew out of the boat so i lost alot of downlow numbers.

JR2004
11-25-2007, 08:29 PM
my phone flew out of the boat

For some reason this is making me laugh quite a bit thinking about this happening...lol.

I should be there around five. P4S will be there too. I think one of my friends is coming as well. He's a fan of Garland High and he won't cheer for any other team. However he will cheer for individual players that don't play for Garland so he's a Vincent McNeil fan...lol.

DU_stud04
11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
really does not matter. the Gilmer faithful will start rolling in about 4:30. I have never seen a team thats fans get to games as early as ours do!!!!!!! if you show up after 5...usually cant get a seat on their side. gilmer travels very well

alaskacat
11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I will stay over to watch this one...and the early games in Texas Stadium. It should be a dandy.

One thing about Velt, they have played the toughest schedule of all of 3A..it includes both 4A and 5A playoff teams, and done it successfully....better get buckled up Buckeyes.

kaorder1999
11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
IM THERE!!! This is going to be awesome!!!!

buff4life
11-26-2007, 01:49 AM
This is without a doubt the biggest game in the history of Roosevelt football. This is the first time they've played in a regional final (They've been to the third round of the playoffs three other times, but all those were a regional semi-final game.)

I thought Velt was the one team in the region that could mess up a Gilmer-RC matchup and they did just that. Roosevelt is not your typical DISD football team. I'm sure by gametime several of the East Texas folks over on Smoaky will have Roosevelt built up to be the devil incarnate, (just as several of them did with Madison in the past) but this Roosevelt team is pretty good and for the most part pretty disciplined. They do have a few guys who like to talk some, but I'd challenge anyone to find me a team that doesn't have a few of those guys. There's not one team left that can say that.

I'm not much on how a uniform looks, but I did like seeing Velt in their Stormtrooper uniforms last week. (I know the blue unis drive G and many others nuts...lol.) Hope they wear that again this week.

I totally feel you though...if you get on a Giddings thread, we're apparently the only people that have a few kids talk some smack thats apparently RARE as hell in high school football...there are apparently a bunch of little angels runnin around...good to hear one person see reality

SNYDER325TIGERS
11-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
after Roosevelt's 48-22 win over Royse City, this should be a beauty

Vince McNeil is a terrific talent for the Mustangs

thats that guys name...I couldn't remember it.

I want Gilmer to win but my heads tellin me that Dallas Roosevelt will win....:confused:

Texasfootball2
11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
the winner of this one will likely play Wylie in the semifinals

D-1 has some rediculous matchups!

I guess this is a compliment:thinking: :D

As long as one of the teams is Wylie, I really don't care who the other team is.:thumbsup:

buff4ever
11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
This is the best game that this region has to offer out of either division, should live up to its hype. I take Roosevelt by lets say 10.

lostaussie
11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
This is the best game that this region has to offer out of either division, should live up to its hype. I take Roosevelt by lets say 10. this stings a little..............but i can get over it..........this will be our toughest game of the year. i expect some suprises and i know our staff will have a great plan:thumbsup:...........i will make no predictions, although i honestly think roosevelt should be slightly favored.

JR2004
11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
this stings a little..............but i can get over it..........this will be our toughest game of the year. i expect some suprises and i know our staff will have a great plan:thumbsup:...........i will make no predictions, although i honestly think roosevelt should be slightly favored.

Y'all are the favorite. Velt is new at this stuff. They've mostly been known for basketball. They haven't had a team this good since the 80's when Richmond Webb, (Member of the NFL's All-Decade team for the 1990's as a Tackle) LB Aaron Wallace (nine seasons with the Raiders) and Kevin Williams (Former Cowboys WR in the early 90's)...The only other taste of success they've had close to this was in 1999 when Robert Timmons played QB for them and they went three rounds. (He later transferred to Flower Mound Marcus and was briefly at UT.)...

charlesrixey
11-27-2007, 07:29 PM
i don't know

If Gilmer hadn't beaten by Mabank by just 7 i think this discussion would be a little different

if Gilmer beats Mabank 65-7 i think Gilmer is the definate favorite in this one

Gilmer had its closest game of the season (a season where they have been dominant) and i think they can rebound

they have a better defense than RC and aren't too shabby on offense

I think Gilmer will win it, but it should be very close

BILLYFRED0000
11-27-2007, 08:15 PM
i don't know

If Gilmer hadn't beaten by Mabank by just 7 i think this discussion would be a little different

if Gilmer beats Mabank 65-7 i think Gilmer is the definate favorite in this one

Gilmer had its closest game of the season (a season where they have been dominant) and i think they can rebound

they have a better defense than RC and aren't too shabby on offense

I think Gilmer will win it, but it should be very close

I do not think you have to worry. It won't be that close. Gilmer is not banged up like RC and the weather this week will be pristine. Gilmer 42 Velt 21.

lostaussie
11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I do not think you have to worry. It won't be that close. Gilmer is not banged up like RC and the weather this week will be pristine. Gilmer 42 Velt 21. I hope ya'll are right. I really think last weeks game with Mabank was a slight product of the week before. We got way up to beat L/E and seemed to me to play very flat against Mabank. Maybe we have that out of the way. It will take a huge effort this week, and if you win, you must sustain that momentum. I think the players and coaches are up to the task. we shall see!!!!!

44INAROW
11-28-2007, 01:28 AM
really does not matter. the Gilmer faithful will start rolling in about 4:30. I have never seen a team thats fans get to games as early as ours do!!!!!!!

my mom used to joke that my dearly departed daddy used to get to the games early, just to make sure the home team crew didn't need any help "turning the stadium lights on" :D

Texasfootball2
11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
I will be attending this game. Does anybody no if it is suppose to rain in the Metroplex this Sat.

I know, I could check the weather online, but figured someone from Dallas Rv. or Gilmer would already know.

lostaussie
11-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I will be attending this game. Does anybody no if it is suppose to rain in the Metroplex this Sat.

I know, I could check the weather online, but figured someone from Dallas Rv. or Gilmer would already know.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. South wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 62. South southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Texasfootball2
11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. South wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 62. South southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Do either or both teams depend on the pass. If so, the weather could be a factor. Wind and Rain = Turnovers in the passing game.

kaorder1999
11-28-2007, 12:31 PM
I cant speak for Gilmer but Roosevelt is pretty balanced in their attack and do both very well.

Aesculus gilmus
11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Do either or both teams depend on the pass. If so, the weather could be a factor. Wind and Rain = Turnovers in the passing game.

There were NO turnovers Saturday at SFA. It was windy and cold and also raining pretty heavily at times and at least lightly throughout.

The Mabank southpaw QB, Kolton Browning, put on an all-weather clinic in how to pick apart a defense through the air.

Gilmer is not passing as much these days. They are riding the "Bus" to victory. Having said that, now that the Velt coach has said he expects Gilmer to continue to run, I expect our coaches will want to air it out.

Texasfootball2
11-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
There were NO turnovers Saturday at SFA. It was windy and cold and also raining pretty heavily at times and at least lightly throughout.

The Mabank southpaw QB, Kolton Browning, put on an all-weather clinic in how to pick apart a defense through the air.

Gilmer is not passing as much these days. They are riding the "Bus" to victory. Having said that, now that the Velt coach has said he expects Gilmer to continue to run, I expect our coaches will want to air it out.

Does Gilmer run the spread?:thinking:

DU_stud04
11-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
my mom used to joke that my dearly departed daddy used to get to the games early, just to make sure the home team crew didn't need any help "turning the stadium lights on" :D me and my brother joke that the team wouldnt know what to do if my dad wasnt there to see them get off the bus hahaha

Aesculus gilmus
11-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Does Gilmer run the spread?:thinking:

Yes. However, Gilmer has gone predominantly to the ground attack during the playoffs.

"Bus" Johnson has run for more than 500 yards in just the last two weeks. He's also had another running back in the backfield with him at times and that's an unusual scheme for Gilmer, typically.

waterboy
11-28-2007, 05:56 PM
I look for Gilmer to try and take control of this game early. I think the coaches and players know what Roosevelt is capable of and will do whatever it takes to get the early lead. I look for the Buckeyes to limit the big play by Roosevelt and frustrate them. If Gilmer's defense can get a few 3 and outs, I don't see 'Velt being able to win this one. The Buckeyes will keep control of the clock and thus the game. I know all this seems like a tall order, but I know they can GIT 'R DONE.

Go Buckeyes! Remember the D-A-S-H !
P.R.I.D.E.
"Offense wins game, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

slingshot
11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Do either or both teams depend on the pass. If so, the weather could be a factor. Wind and Rain = Turnovers in the passing game. ...I plan on being there too. Make sure and wear your Wylie colors (if we win Friday night that is;) ):D .

Texasfootball2
11-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by slingshot
...I plan on being there too. Make sure and wear your Wylie colors (if we win Friday night that is;) ):D .

I will probably sit on the Gilmer side. And I will definitley have on a Wylie hat, maybe a purple shirt, but not a sure thing.

3afan
11-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Buckeyeman

http://www.mesquiteisd.org/departments/athletics/images/Memorial.jpg

JR2004
11-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I will probably sit on the Gilmer side. And I will definitley have on a Wylie hat, maybe a purple shirt, but not a sure thing.

I'm guessing most neutral observers in this game are sitting on the Gilmer side. You won't be alone as there will be plenty of folks right there with you sitting with the Buckeye faithful.

I'll stick with the DISD team and sit on Velt's side. Roosevelt fans are a fun group of folks. Not quite as hilarious and fun to watch a game with as Madison or SOC fans, but they're pretty funny.

pirate4state
11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm guessing most neutral observers in this game are sitting on the Gilmer side. You won't be alone as there will be plenty of folks right there with you sitting with the Buckeye faithful.

I'll stick with the DISD team and sit on Velt's side. Roosevelt fans are a fun group of folks. Not quite as hilarious and fun to watch a game with as Madison or SOC fans, but they're pretty funny.

We'll wave at you from across the field! :D

LHPfactory
11-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Good luck to both teams, beat each other around for 4 quarters, and may the survivor limp to the finals in a couple weeks...;)

Just kidding, sounds like it will be a great game, hope its injury free and we will likely see the winner in a few weeks. :D

garciap77
11-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Good luck to both Teams!

PHS Wildcats
11-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I'll be sitting on the 'Velt side, not because I'm rooting against Gilmer, but because I know I'll have a good seat.

KingRob
11-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
http://www.mesquiteisd.org/departments/athletics/images/Memorial.jpg

That sure is purdy stadium. Can you imagine that thing packed with high school fans screaming their lungs out! Damn I wish I was there.:D

Martian Man
12-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Whoooooooo!!!!!!! It is Game Day.