PDA

View Full Version : Will Burnet disappear from the map after the 2003 season?

spaniard
03-11-2003, 12:33 AM
just wanting to see what you guys thought about this, there has been speculation that it will after mcgee and shipley graduate, but im a burnet loyal, so i dont think so, i think that shipley and his staff will be able to use the talent given to continue with long runs into the playoffs and future state titles.

bd0707
03-11-2003, 01:24 AM
I do think Coach Shipley will move on after Jordan graduates. The temptations he will face will be hard to resist.

Old Dog
03-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Coaches moving on to greener pastures are a typical temptation for smaller school personel (3A and lower and including some 4A's). When Coach Shipley first moved back to Burnet, it was said "it's where he wanted to raise his family". Well, he has two more kids to bring up after Jordan, but he is already havng temptation waved in front of him. I wish Burnet could pay him what he is worth to others, but I fear they cannot. The trustees will have to make an effort to maintain a "program" even without him.....and I think they will! Very few schools get long term coaching legends in the making (re:Gordon Wood-Brownwood)and can keep them for years and years.

HotDawg89
03-11-2003, 12:26 PM
There has been a great deal of speculation about Coach Shipley moving on after Jordan graduates. . the bottom line is money. (His younger son, Jackson I think, is also quite an athlete. Look for his name in the future as well. It is said he has the potential to be better than Jordan!) But as far as the money goes, Shipley (this is rumored) was hired at a rate which caused the principal and superintendent to get a nice payraise as well, as we couldn't be paying the athletic director more than they were making. I think Burnet just must pay quite a bit less than some of the other schools in our area. Let's not forget though, that Coach Shipley has coached in the big leagues before, he chose to come to Burnet. I'm just going to pray he stays. Burnet might not go as far over the next few years as what they will in the upcoming season, but the potenital for growth in our younger athletes is there. We have a pretty good JV and freshman program, and the junior high program is showing character and development as well.

A football team is more than one fantastic coach and two outstanding players. But their loss, as well as the prospect of moving up into 4A for 2004 could be hard to take. We'll see.

bulldawg89
03-12-2003, 08:03 PM
First of all, people will see a whole lot of Burnet in the future with 15 returning starters with 4 first team all state players, and 1 second team all state player returning. The question is, how far will they go this time??? They still have McGee, Shipley, Warner, and Kuhn. The new starters that are stepping up have great chances as well to shine. Burnet got a taste of Champions, and their stomach is still growling.

Second, Burnet has all of its coaching staff returning wich still watches the Jasper and Everman film daily. Coach Shipley has put too much in this program to just have one year of fame come and go. The team just raised close to 20,000 dolars for new uniforms and equipment; so not only will they make it through play-offs, but they'll be rollin with some style.

3afan08
03-12-2003, 08:42 PM
How do u make a poll? It says i need permision

Dave-O
03-12-2003, 10:54 PM
personall I dont believe a whole town could just disappear from the map, but i thnk your speaking football wise so ill go along and say No. That could have been what everyone was saying a good 12 years ago when we went to the final game. " I hear after 91 Burnet will Die completely. Maybe for a few years we did but we came back, and we can do it again, we went from a state final team to a losing in the first playoff game team to a state final team again. So never say a team will disapear.

spaniard
03-13-2003, 12:18 AM
alrighty smarty pants, hehe :p i just hope that the team doesnt have such a dropping off like before though, i would hope that this years team started a lasting tradition that wont stop at the graduation of this years seniors. i know that two years after the state year, the team became inconsistant and hasnt really become that until the late 90's, i just hope that the inconsistancy bug doesnt hit our program. i dont think it will, but there are some who do, and for the programs sake, i hope theyre wrong. hehe, still too much time till football season :rolleyes:

Everman01Grad.
03-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Personaly, I think teams in 3A better watch out for the Burnet Bulldogs. They showed me alot in the state game agains Everman. All of there mistakes were young talented ones.Those guys will be ready though i guarentte it come playoff time.I wouldnt be surprised to see them in the State game next year. Good luck green dogs

29x281
03-13-2003, 09:06 PM
I understand the class of 2011 looks very promising.