PDA

View Full Version : Celina-Pittsburg Friday 7:30 Mesquite Hanby Stadium

bobcat1
11-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Celina-Pittsburg Friday 7:30 Mesquite Hanby Stadium

I just got this from the coaching staff.

75009Football
11-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks Bobcat.

Makin Plans! Will this 6-4 be any better? West made a galant try but just not there yet. Hope Pitts will be a better game. Gone to do a little snooping in their paper.

BILLYFRED0000
11-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 75009Football
Thanks Bobcat.

Makin Plans! Will this 6-4 be any better? West made a galant try but just not there yet. Hope Pitts will be a better game. Gone to do a little snooping in their paper.

They have a prolific Offense. One game this season they had 765 yards of offense. They have been stopped on occasion but O is definetly their strong suit. They do have some athletes according to some of the guys I have talked to.

75009Football
11-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Putting up 45 on Canton is not too shabby so I sure you heard right. It will be good to have a challange for the Boys, they do need to have one from someone other than the refs. 11-88, I'm sure they got an earful from Butch this morning on that.

BILLYFRED0000
11-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Putting up 45 on Canton is not too shabby so I sure you heard right. It will be good to have a challange for the Boys, they do need to have one from someone other than the refs. 11-88, I'm sure they got an earful from Butch this morning on that.

There were some strange calls tho. How bout one for a chop block. I have never seen one called on us that I can ever remember. And that phantom interference call when there were no receivers close to where the ball was thrown nor were there any running a route to that position in the endzone.

pittqueen
11-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks Bobcat.

8-4, with possibly the best athlete in the state at QB. If I can remember correctly, the last 2 times Celina has played a team from East Texas they have lost, could this be the 3rd time?

block&tackle
11-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by pittqueen
8-4, with possibly the best athlete in the state at QB. If I can remember correctly, the last 2 times Celina has played a team from East Texas they have lost, could this be the 3rd time?
Brownsboro?
Canton?
Omaha Paul-Pewitt?
How selective is your defintion of "East Texas" Your Highness?

Anyway, congratulations to Pittsburg and their first trip to the third round in many years. I hope that it is a good game. Either way it has been a great season for both teams.

75009Football
11-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Pittsburg takes advantage of Canton miscues

SPECIAL TO THE NEWS-JOURNAL

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Miscues in the playoffs will end a season quickly. Just ask the Canton Eagles.

The Eagles turned the ball over eight times in their Class 3A Division II area playoff against Pittsburg, fumbling four times with the other four coming via interception, and the Pirates scored 38-straight points to defeat Canton 45-14 at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium Friday.

The eight turnovers led to 17 Pirates' points, and assured Pittsburg (8-4) a shot at the Celina-West winner in the Region 2 semifinals next week.

Pirates' senior quarterback Kendall Wright was unstoppable, rushing for 152 yards and two touchdowns and hitting 12 of 21 passes for 118 yards and another score. He also intercepted a Casey Bell pass in the second half.

In two playoff games, Wright has rushed for 288 yards and four touchdowns. Joining him in the backfield, Carlos Brown also eclipsed the 100-yard mark Friday, carrying 18 times for 107 yards and a score.

The Eagles (7-5) never managed to overcome a 24-point second quarter onslaught by the Pirates.

While Canton's offense managed just 51 yards in the quarter, three fumbles yielded 10 Pittsburg points and helped the Pirates score 17 points in the final three minutes of the half.

Leading 14-7, the Pirates picked up the third Eagle fumble. Five plays and 23 yards later, Wright scrambled for a 46-yard touchdown. He would add a 13-yard run in the third quarter to account for his two touchdowns.

On the ensuing kickoff Canton fumbled again, giving Pittsburg the ball at the Eagle 23. Canton's defense held, but Travis Hammontree nailed a 36-yard field goal to capitalize on yet another Eagles turnover.

After Canton went three-and-out, Wright threw his lone touchdown of the day. After evading several would-be tacklers deep in the pocket, Wright found Mark Farmer, who managed to get behind the defense, for a 42-yard strike with 14 seconds remaining.

Canton took to the air to start the second half, and seemed determined to get its quick-strike offense going.

The Eagles marched 70 yards in five plays, pushing to the Pirate 5 in less than two minutes. It wasn't meant to be though.

On a first-and-goal run, the Eagles fumbled in the end zone, their fourth turnover of the day. They wouldn't come close to scoring again until Casey Bell hit Devon Talley for a score late in the fourth quarter.

Bell, playing his final game with Canton, completed 24-of-33 passes for 269 yards, but was picked off four times in the second half.

Wright had one, Roderick Robinson had another and Cody Sewell intercepted Bell off twice.

BILLYFRED0000
11-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
Brownsboro?
Canton?
Omaha Paul-Pewitt?

Anyway, congratulations to Pittsburg and their first trip to the third round in many years. I hope that it is a good game. Either way it has been a great season for both teams.

Talking a little smack already. That is cool tho. Be nice to have a couple of Pittsburg
guys to talk to and find out what their team is like. I only know that they seem to play good O. Is it out of the communist spread formation? And how good is their D? Enquiring minds want to know. But only their hair dressers know for sure.

pittqueen
11-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
Brownsboro?
Canton?
Omaha Paul-Pewitt?

I'm talking in between GILMER and DAINGERFIELD, if you know what i mean.

75009Football
11-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by pittqueen

Yawn!!! Stretch!!! Oh! Sorry Queenie, didn't mean to step on you glass slippers there but was just mentioning your record entering the playoffs, 6-4.

I'm sure all your loyal subjects are thankful at this time of year that there are only four other members in your district to have to contend with so you can make you long run in the playoffs.

You take whatever they give you. If that is the ball, so be it, take it and run, or score as it may be. Great game and gear up cause that wont happen next Friday, you can count on that. Should be fun, hope so anyway.

alaskacat
11-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Celina 48
Pittsburgh 6

total offense-Pittsburgh 99
Depending on officiating

BILLYFRED0000
11-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Boy you guys are tough on Pitt. They do play pretty good O. Now D on the other hand is a problem.
They have scored 363 points which ain't half bad. But they have given up 273 which ain't all that good. Be interesting to see just how it all works out. The teams they did lose to were all good teams.
PG
TLE
RC
Carthage.
They scored 80 points against those teams. But they gave up 185. I think our O will work them over pretty good.

kepdawg
11-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Royse City 47 Pittsburgh 6 :dispntd:

Of course that means Celina should dominate.

Expect backups by halftime.

Another shutout unless the middle schoolers get time late.

OldNavy
11-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Sounds OK to me, just remember though that great athletes can make stuff happen. I am sure RC thought they could handle Roosevelt. Need to take all playoff threats seriously, especially 3 rounds deep and deeper.

I remember one year Celina lost two games and went on to win a state championship. Don't count the chicks too early.

Panther One
11-24-2007, 02:55 PM
So the Pirates lost 45-21 to Carthage? Celina will roll in this one.

BILLYFRED0000
11-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
So the Pirates lost 45-21 to Carthage? Celina will roll in this one.

Great game yesterday. Ya'll look awful good right now. If I was prognosticatin I would think you have a real shot at the title again.
Pittsburg is weak on Defense. About dead average in 3a. Usually does not get the job done. But they got 9 turnovers our of Canton. Turnovers are the great equalizer. I doubt we turn it over 9 times however and we still can spell defense.

Panther One
11-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Great game yesterday. Ya'll look awful good right now. If I was prognosticatin I would think you have a real shot at the title again.
Pittsburg is weak on Defense. About dead average in 3a. Usually does not get the job done. But they got 9 turnovers our of Canton. Turnovers are the great equalizer. I doubt we turn it over 9 times however and we still can spell defense.
We have a real shot if we quit turning it over.

75009Football
11-24-2007, 07:04 PM
There were some strange calls tho. How bout one for a chop block. I have never seen one called on us that I can ever remember. And that phantom interference call when there were no receivers close to where the ball was thrown nor were there any running a route to that position in the endzone.

We can't help them with those things they think they see. We can only help them with what we see.

Now, if we choose to talk louder than the little voices they hear in their heads, maybe we can we can make some change.

Maybe not.

We might not even want to get involved with that.

75009Football
11-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Massey has the following for the previous week:

Celina moving up one spot, 11-0, Overall Rating-1, Power-1, Offense-3, Defense-1, and Schedule-30.

Pittsburg moving up 18 spots, 7-4, Overall Rating-38, Power-35, Offense-21, Defense-73, and Schedule-37.

West moving down 2 spots, 7-4, Overall Rating-51, Power-41, Offense-59, Defense-30, Schedule-73.

It appears Pitt and West are fairly even. Power is close, O and D equal out, and West's schedule brings their overall rating down. Think I would rather see those two play than either play Celina.

lostaussie
11-24-2007, 10:18 PM
i would love to see pitt do well, but it ain't happening this week. pitt is a one man show and that won't work against the cats. Celina wins big!!!!!!!!

BILLYFRED0000
11-24-2007, 11:46 PM
We can't help them with those things they think they see. We can only help them with what we see.

Now, if we choose to talk louder than the little voices they hear in their heads, maybe we can we can make some change.

Maybe not.

We might not even want to get involved with that.

Yeah I hear ya. I am just hopin we don't have to face the Dallas chapter again. Are we home or away in this one? I assumed we won the toss cause Mesquite is closer and that would make us home but I have not heard the official version.

JR2004
11-25-2007, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Royse City 47 Pittsburgh 6 :dispntd:

Of course that means Celina should dominate.

Expect backups by halftime.

Another shutout unless the middle schoolers get time late.

I was thinking they might throw in the junior high to begin the 2nd quarter so they can get some valuable playoff experience.

75009Football
11-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah I hear ya. I am just hopin we don't have to face the Dallas chapter again. Are we home or away in this one? I assumed we won the toss cause Mesquite is closer and that would make us home but I have not heard the official version.

Too many folks going in too many different directions this weekend. Have not heard either way. Figured the same as you did about Mesquite. Sure we'll hear soon.

CelinaCatFan
11-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Not sure if we are home or not. But, it shouldn't matter too much.

Hanby Stadium seats 12,000 (6,500 seats on home side and 5,500 seats on visitors side). The main difference is that 1,350 of the home side seats have chair backs. While it is an older stadium (opened in 1957), it was renovated in 2002 and is a nice facility.

Matthew328
11-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Hanby is a great stadium, traffic getting in and out is a lil rough but it's a nice place...

yes we know Celina lost to Gilmer and Daingerfield but that's ancient history..

Brownsboro and Paul Pewitt are considered East Texas and Celina had no trouble with them and I don't expect them to have much trouble with Pitt although I will be there

lostaussie
11-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

yes we know Celina lost to Gilmer and Daingerfield but that's ancient history..

i wouldn't call it ancient, but i would call it history. Add last years LH game and i was at all 3. Probably the only person ever to see 3 Celina losses and no Celina wins. not coming to this one because i don't want to break the streak. Celina rolls big. i at least want to see them play a team that has a chance:devil:

alaskacat
11-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i wouldn't call it ancient, but i would call it history. Add last years LH game and i was at all 3. Probably the only person ever to see 3 Celina losses and no Celina wins. not coming to this one because i don't want to break the streak. Celina rolls big. i at least want to see them play a team that has a chance:devil:

Does that mean you are going to wait until the hopeful Kickoff Classic and we get another crack at LH?:)

lostaussie
11-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by alaskacat
Does that mean you are going to wait until the hopeful Kickoff Classic and we get another crack at LH?:) nope, I was thinking more like WOS:thumbsup:

alaskacat
11-25-2007, 07:13 PM
that wont happen...Celina will play them like a drum. It will be WOS Orange nightmare:)

lostaussie
11-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by alaskacat
that wont happen...Celina will play them like a drum. It will be WOS Orange nightmare:) ok then, its a date:D