PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Giddings!

TexanFan4Life
11-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Congratulations on a great season. You guys played hard, but it was just one of those nights for you guys. West Orange-Stark was gunning for you guys...after all, you guys were the team to beat in 3A all season long. I look forward to a rematch with you guys next season.

I hope Fitzhenry is able to go to UT and play without any lingering effects from that ankle injury.

Good season Buffs!

CowboyBillWatts
11-24-2007, 01:16 AM
he's obviously not a D1 QB, what position is he expected to play for the Horns?

TexanFan4Life
11-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by CowboyBillWatts
he's obviously not a D1 QB, what position is he expected to play for the Horns?

Scout.com has him going as a CB.

CowboyBillWatts
11-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Scout.com has him going as a CB.

gotcha... a white corner? almost unheard of in the Big XII huh?

IHStangFan
11-24-2007, 01:21 AM
A CB? isn't he like 5'9? My money is he'll be a return guy.

TexanFan4Life
11-24-2007, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
A CB? isn't he like 5'9? My money is he'll be a return guy.

5'9" 185

ESPN says he'll most likely find his niche as a returner as well. We'll see, but 5'9" CBs are not at all uncommon.

IHStangFan
11-24-2007, 01:39 AM
5'9" 185

ESPN says he'll most likely find his niche as a returner as well. We'll see, but 5'9" CBs are not at all uncommon. yeah...but at the college level...when you have WRs that are 6'4"+ on some teams....that's all I'm saying. I think he'd be a GREAT return guy...Wes Welker kinda guy.

TexanFan4Life
11-24-2007, 01:50 AM
yeah...but at the college level...when you have WRs that are 6'4"+ on some teams....that's all I'm saying. I think he'd be a GREAT return guy...Wes Welker kinda guy.

He is slippery, I'll give him that.

Little story...My older brother played TE for Waller High School, and his QB Dwight Kirkpatrick went on to UT. Dwight was an Option QB in HS so they put him at FS. He stunk it up for 4 years. Not saying it's going to happen to Brock...just something to think about. High School Option QBs transitioning to new postions in college typically don't pan out all that well.

Crimestick
11-24-2007, 02:43 AM
yeah...but at the college level...when you have WRs that are 6'4"+ on some teams....that's all I'm saying. I think he'd be a GREAT return guy...Wes Welker kinda guy.

Our former QB, Deon Beasley, is about the same size as Fitzhenry and is starting to come into his own at UT as a CB. He has made as many plays as anyone on defense in recent weeks - three INTs in the last four or five games.

88bobcats
11-24-2007, 03:26 AM
Congratulations on a great season. You guys played hard, but it was just one of those nights for you guys. West Orange-Stark was gunning for you guys...after all, you guys were the team to beat in 3A all season long. {}

Good season Buffs!

Man, Giddings had some kind of powerful running attack! I saw the WO-S/Giddings games last year and this year.....that modified-wishbone quick attack is impressive. Though the Buffalo threw the ball more tonight, there was still too little of a legitimate passing threat, and the Mustangs capitalized on that by loading the box.

My hats off to Giddings for a great season. It was a great and exciting game to watch.

navscanmaster
11-24-2007, 04:39 AM
Haven't seen the buff4 fraternity yet. Long drive and all back to Giddings. But congratulations on a great season. It must have took a hell of a team to beat you guys, cause Caldwell, Navasota, and Sealy gave it their all and just couldn't get it done. Hope to see you guys when the roundball team makes its trip over to our other new sports home, the gym.

navscanmaster
11-24-2007, 04:39 AM
Haven't seen the buff4 fraternity yet. Long drive and all back to Giddings. But congratulations on a great season. It must have took a hell of a team to beat you guys, cause Caldwell, Navasota, and Sealy gave it their all and just couldn't get it done. Hope to see you guys when the roundball team makes its trip over to our other new sports home, the gym.

themsu97
11-24-2007, 09:13 AM
I would doubt that Fitzhenry returns too much... do not forget that UT also has the 5'9" db from Angleton who has won the state 4A 100 meter dash two years ago...DJ Monroe who they have slated to play DB and return kicks... but both of them on the kick off return could be and would be lethal...

75009Football
11-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Congratulations on a great season. You guys played hard, but it was just one of those nights for you guys. West Orange-Stark was gunning for you guys...after all, you guys were the team to beat in 3A all season long. I look forward to a rematch with you guys next season.

I hope Fitzhenry is able to go to UT and play without any lingering effects from that ankle injury.

Good season Buffs!

You're out one game too soon. I would have loved to have seen you and LaVega go at it. Besides, you messed up my bracket for R3. Since you were the team to beat, all the rest of us can just coast now.

Great season and see you next year.

Old Tiger
11-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Slot receiver/return man

crazy
11-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 75009Football
You're out one game too soon. I would have loved to have seen you and LaVega go at it. Besides, you messed up my bracket for R3. Since you were the team to beat, all the rest of us can just coast now.

Great season and see you next year.

Take the Mustangs lightly, Celina. "Coast"? The only "coast" you'll get to see is if you plan a winter vacation to California.

Daddy D 11
11-24-2007, 03:16 PM
did fitzhenry play?

crazy
11-24-2007, 03:36 PM
no. Giddings played hard. They are big, strong and they are very good. I thought the officiating sucked, otherwise, it wouldn't have been as close as it was. We prepared for Fitz, but stopped Locke (for the most part, lol). It was exciting, to say the least.

Daddy D 11
11-24-2007, 03:42 PM
classsy post, good to see respect after a game like that

buff4life
11-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by crazy
no. Giddings played hard. They are big, strong and they are very good. I thought the officiating sucked, otherwise, it wouldn't have been as close as it was. We prepared for Fitz, but stopped Locke (for the most part, lol). It was exciting, to say the least.

WOW thats pretty pathetic...Giddings had its chances to win to don't say they didn't, Giddings had all the momentum when it was 21-19 and the kick return for the TD was a dagger, both team had miscues that cost them and WOS took advantage, I thought both offenses executed very well and the Giddings O looked impressive with Locke at QB, if we would have been able to complete ANY long passes it would have helped but congrats to WOS and good luck the rest of the year...

WOS head coach is a true class act, not speaking for all his players but he himself in general awesome...

Daddy D 11
11-24-2007, 04:05 PM
so was giddings a one man show?

on one hand, they played a hellacious game against a great team and fell just short? without fitzhenry...

and on the other, the only 2 loses in the last 2 years have come with him out of the game? :thinking:

quite a toss up

3afan
11-24-2007, 04:14 PM
....you guys were the team to beat in 3A all season long. .....

apparently not!

tam
11-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
WOW thats pretty pathetic...Giddings had its chances to win to don't say they didn't, Giddings had all the momentum when it was 21-19 and the kick return for the TD was a dagger, both team had miscues that cost them and WOS took advantage, I thought both offenses executed very well and the Giddings O looked impressive with Locke at QB, if we would have been able to complete ANY long passes it would have helped but congrats to WOS and good luck the rest of the year...

WOS head coach is a true class act, not speaking for all his players but he himself in general awesome...

Your main problem was this great defense that you claimed you had...it wasn't your offense. Your defense just wasn't quick enough. We have played against some better defenses than Giddings had. Giddings fought back, but this game was pretty much dominated by Wo-s. Your best option was to have a Qb in there that could pass because with Fitz, you would have been too one demensional and it's hard to be one demensional and beat Wo-s. All we kept hearing before this game was Giddings will win without Fitz cause there defense is so good. I think it was clear who had the better defense. Wo-s was without a great running back too, with him in there, you really would have gotten blown out. You couldn't contain the one running back that we ran all night. Wo-s was just the better team and that was very clear. Giddings had a really good team, but the best team won this time.

griff
11-24-2007, 04:19 PM

What's the reason for this wet blanket, buff? Your post was pleasant until the "...not speaking for all his players..." Please elborate. If anything, you should be complaining about the several late hits committed by your team (including some the refs didn't see). WO-S played smart and with controlled aggression. The same cannot be said for the Buffaloes. They're GOOD no doubt, but they don't play with discipline. For the first time they had to play come from behind football against a team as good as them, and in the second half the cheapshots started happening one after another. This has been a pattern for Giddings, but after reading some of your previous posts concerning this issue, you seem to turn a blind eye to it. All three years we've played Giddings, this cockiness and dirty play has been a signature of the Buffaloes. They will never win a state title under Coach Fitzhenry because he allows them to play this way.

griff
11-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by tam
Your main problem was this great defense that you claimed you had...it wasn't your offense. Your defense just wasn't quick enough. We have played against some better defenses than Giddings had. Giddings fought back, but this game was pretty much dominated by Wo-s. Your best option was to have a Qb in there that could pass because with Fitz, you would have been too one demensional and it's hard to be one demensional and beat Wo-s. All we kept hearing before this game was Giddings will win without Fitz cause there defense is so good. I think it was clear who had the better defense. Wo-s was without a great running back too, with him in there, you really would have gotten blown out. You couldn't contain the one running back that we ran all night. Wo-s was just the better team and that was very clear. Giddings had a really good team, but the best team won this time.

Exactly, tam. The WO-S offensive line dominated Giddings. Even with a one featured back set (#24), they couldn't stop us. If #20 would have played, we would have scored more, because he is just as good as #24, and it would have been doubly tough to stop this two-headed monster, just like it was all season long.

This was a very satisfying win. We should have won it last year, but this time we got 'em. The better team won...period.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen at Giddings over the next couple of years (at least until the next Fitzhenry kid is ready for varsity). I think their run is over for now, but WO-S will continue to be in the post season picture. Our 7th grade, 8th grade, Freshman, and JV teams were very good this year.

On another note...the WO-S defense made Giddings work hard for every yard, and we made several good jarring tackles on defense and special teams, especially in the second half. We were the aggressor all night long.

TexanFan4Life
11-24-2007, 04:39 PM

Look at Giddings' players. They're the 'cheap shot' champs of the free world. But regardless, you guys played a good game. You didn't deserve to win a state championship and I'm glad you didn't. I can't stand to see classless football teams get recognized for doing great things, and I'm so glad Giddings is home on their couches for the rest of the playoffs.

Daddy D 11
11-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Look at Giddings' players. They're the 'cheap shot' champs of the free world. But regardless, you guys played a good game. You didn't deserve to win a state championship and I'm glad you didn't. I can't stand to see classless football teams get recognized for doing great things, and I'm so glad Giddings is home on their couches for the rest of the playoffs.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

tam
11-24-2007, 04:50 PM

Yeah, i had heard all the people complaining about cheapshots by Giddings from other teams and I saw what they were talking about last night. They starting getting frustrated towards the end and the cheapshots and late hits started...trying to bait our guys into a fight. Their coaches need to get a hold of that. All of these teams aren't just complaining for nothing. They ran into a team that was tougher than them and it frustrated them.

Daddy D 11
11-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by griff
[BThey're GOOD no doubt, but they don't play with discipline. For the first time they had to play come from behind football against a team as good as them, and in the second half the cheapshots started happening one after another. This has been a pattern for Giddings, but after reading some of your previous posts concerning this issue, you seem to turn a blind eye to it. All three years we've played Giddings, this cockiness and dirty play has been a signature of the Buffaloes. They will never win a state title under Coach Fitzhenry because he allows them to play this way. [/B]

LH was/is better than them and they had to play behind to us so we can second that :D

or first?? lol but besides that, i agree with every single sentence

buff4ever
11-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Good lord, I can't believe the sore winners around here, I didn't see you guys at the game, your individual coaches and some players were very classy, good for them.

I didn't see the cheap shots and I am one that would. I am not a supporter of it, and have spoke this year of how it has really not been like last year.

Honestly, both defenses dissappointed me. Giddings stopped WOS most of the second half and stopped themselfs in the first half. I can't honestly say that WOS defense stopped us in the second half at all.

But still yet, great game and you have a great team. QB needs to be a better passer down field or a great d line defense will stop yall before the end. I am supporting you guys though, great team.

Daddy D 11
11-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by tam
Yeah, i had heard all the people complaining about cheapshots by Giddings from other teams and I saw what they were talking about last night. They starting getting frustrated towards the end and the cheapshots and late hits started...trying to bait our guys into a fight. Their coaches need to get a hold of that. All of these teams aren't just complaining for nothing. They ran into a team that was tougher than them and it frustrated them.

you should have seen last year when they were down 28-0 in the second quarter :eek:

State_In_08
11-24-2007, 05:32 PM
I would have never thought we'd be in the playoffs later than Giddings... Congrats Giddings on a great season.

griff
11-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Good lord, I can't believe the sore winners around here, I didn't see you guys at the game, your individual coaches and some players were very classy, good for them.

Yes, we were the "winners" last night. You still didn't answer my question. Please explain what you mean by saying "...not speaking for all his players" and "some players were very classy".

Originally posted by buff4ever I didn't see the cheap shots and I am one that would. I am not a supporter of it, and have spoke this year of how it has really not been like last year. [/B]

Exactly my point. You've turned a blind eye to it. I've seen it for the last three years. Don't forget the "five players ejected in five years". That is not an coincidence, it's a PATTERN. How many other teams represented on this thread can claim they've lost at least one player per year to a disqualification? This is a real problem, and it falls in the lap of the coaches. This is why many posters on the downlow have rooted against your team. The Buffaloes do not win or lose with dignity. They put forth arrogance and dirty play.

Originally posted by buff4ever Honestly, both defenses dissappointed me. Giddings stopped WOS most of the second half and stopped themselfs in the first half. I can't honestly say that WOS defense stopped us in the second half at all.

But still yet, great game and you have a great team. QB needs to be a better passer down field or a great d line defense will stop yall before the end. I am supporting you guys though, great team. [/B]
I thought Giddings WAS a great D-line defense? That's hilarious to say "Giddings stopped themselves in the first half." The truth is WO-S took it to Giddings and their defense couldn't stop us. Again, the WO-S offensive line dominated. When we got to the 4th quarter, we sat on the lead and tried to run down the clock a little. Giddings had better field position in the 4th quarter, and that helped them stick around. I'm sorry both defenses disappointed you. Other than Giddings first drive of the game, the WO-S defense did a nice job of making your team earn every yard. We kept the vaunted Buffalo offense to 19 points. A nice day's work if you ask me. All in all, the bottom line is we won this game fair and square, even without our best offensive player.

So far, your posts have tasted like sour grapes. I would still like to know what you meant by "...not speaking for all his players" and "some players were very classy". Explain yourself.

75009Football
11-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by crazy
Take the Mustangs lightly, Celina. "Coast"? The only "coast" you'll get to see is if you plan a winter vacation to California.

Just making mention of what TF4L said about Gid being "the team to beat in 3A this year". Not talking about any other team in particular about coasting but said we all could coast.

If we did not take Rains or West lightly in the early rounds, I don't see how/why we would start taking anyone at this point in the playoffs lightly. Pitts 2-0 in the playoffs just like everyone else still in it.

rockdale80
11-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Yes, we were the "winners" last night. You still didn't answer my question. Please explain what you mean by saying "...not speaking for all his players" and "some players were very classy".

Exactly my point. You've turned a blind eye to it. I've seen it for the last three years. Don't forget the "five players ejected in five years". That is not an coincidence, it's a PATTERN. How many other teams represented on this thread can claim they've lost at least one player per year to a disqualification? This is a real problem, and it falls in the lap of the coaches. This is why many posters on the downlow have rooted against your team. The Buffaloes do not win or lose with dignity. They put forth arrogance and dirty play.

I thought Giddings WAS a great D-line defense? That's hilarious to say "Giddings stopped themselves in the first half." The truth is WO-S took it to Giddings and their defense couldn't stop us. Again, the WO-S offensive line dominated. When we got to the 4th quarter, we sat on the lead and tried to run down the clock a little. Giddings had better field position in the 4th quarter, and that helped them stick around. I'm sorry both defenses disappointed you. Other than Giddings first drive of the game, the WO-S defense did a nice job of making your team earn every yard. We kept the vaunted Buffalo offense to 19 points. A nice day's work if you ask me. All in all, the bottom line is we won this game fair and square, even without our best offensive player.

So far, your posts have tasted like sour grapes. I would still like to know what you meant by "...not speaking for all his players" and "some players were very classy". Explain yourself.

This isnt the first I have heard of Giddings not playing with class. Hmm...maybe it is true. :thinking:

3aSoftball4Mom
11-24-2007, 08:22 PM

Go Griff! :p

buff4ever
11-24-2007, 11:34 PM

Good grief griff, I am quickly finding out that you are one of those posters to just let go and not point things out to. The problem I have with you is there are some other less educated people to the subject that give you undue credit.

First off, I think you are getting me confused with buff4life on part of your quotes. On my half of that, some of your players had a few issues that I could see, but nothing worth talking about on here; just the same stuff that you are making a big deal out of for giddings. (granted you are exagerating the giddings stuff quite a bit). What I meant by some, is that there were SOME players (not the ones with attitude on the field) that came up to Locke after the game and hugged him and patted him on the back in what seemed to be acknowledging his efforts and good game. That was a classy act.

You obviously are reading other posters dogging giddings, but not reading my post on here. I am not at all a supporter of the foul play or lack of discipline that can be shown on the field. Last year there was some of this with giddings. I have stated several times that this year the boys were playing with discipline and sportmanship. Over the last year, I have typed concerns with the head coach and how he carries himself and allowed the team to get out of control last year. Either the boys saw it themselfs or the head coach addressed it a little, I don't know.

It was interesting to read a post from the sealy softball mom on the update thread, someone not from giddings w/ BINOCULARS at the game. What you might would say was looking for foul play from giddings like everyone on here has been posting, in my opinion due to what they thought of last years team; not what they saw in this years team. She seemed to find some friendly sportsmanship.

On your 5 players in 5 years thing. A stat that should not be judged at face value. I can only speak for 3 of the five that I have witnessed. All 3 were retaliations. One after being kicked in the groin by a WOS player last year (you are welcome to come watch the video with me), one this year after being punched in the throat AFTER THE WHISTLE, and the last when the opposing player was trying to twist his injured ankle. These are the kinds of things that opposing teams do sometimes to try and take down or get in the head of a better team.

What you are failing to do here is be thankful that you won this game and get to move on. Giddings does not, and I have to say we are handling it better than you are your end.

Now on the game notes you make. Giddings drove the field on one of their drives in the 2nd half and did get the ball at the 50 on the other b/c of good defense. On your comment we were in clock control, NO sorry, you were still passing the ball down in the flats and running the exact same plays you ran the first half ALL OVER US GRANTED. Our defense stepped up in the second half after your first drive and shut you guys down. The kick return hurt like I said. I don't think anyone ever said that our D line was the best at stopping a run attack like yours, it has been our down fall 2 years in a row on defense. We make adjustments and have done well with it to this point this year. They are good pass rushers and we can hold the spread offense well. Our defense was very good this year, that is why I was a little disappointed with the performance last night. I kinda think Dock's knee bothered him more than people think.

buff4ever
11-24-2007, 11:42 PM
by the way I think we punted the ball 2 or MAYBE 3 times, SAME AS YALL and we penalized ourselfs on 2 of them (shame on us)

I am starting to wonder if you were at the game, or watching a different one somewhere else?

Crimestick
11-25-2007, 01:28 AM
The better team won.

It was interesting to read a post from the sealy softball mom on the update thread, someone not from giddings w/ BINOCULARS at the game. What you might would say was looking for foul play from giddings like everyone on here has been posting, in my opinion due to what they thought of last years team; not what they saw in this years team. She seemed to find some friendly sportsmanship.

As to the above comment, you might want to read her whole comment about what she saw from Giddings, which reads:

was at the game and pretty much watching closeup through binoculars. The Buffs #7, did a fantastic job on both offense and defense. And I will say that he is one of the classiest players I've ever seen in HS FB. What I saw from him, was genuinely good sportsmanship...
ie:
patting the other team on the back....helping WOS players up, when he happened to tackle them......the first one to take a knee when a WOS player was hurt AND then turn around to tell his teammates to do the same. Not to mention, he has an extreme amount of talent, both offensively and defensively.
What I saw from "some" not all, other players were cheap shots, hitting opponents from the back after the play was over, etc.... Now I don't know if there was any trash talking, to provoke those shots, it's hard to see their mouths moving when they have their helmets on.

In other words, your QB was a good sport. Others, she acknowledges, lived up to their reputations as undisciplined and sometimes bad sports. I saw more than one late hit and I THOUGHT there were at least two personal fouls called, including one on an amazing catch by a Giddings WR and one on a punt in which the defender hit a WO-S punt team player and threw him out of bounds way after the whistle and back on the punter's end of the field. I didn't see a ton of cheap shots, but more than against your average team. The players I came to see (Dock, Locke) played with class and were fun to watch.

I'm not trying to be a "sore winner." But seriously - when the whole world is telling you "you're crazy," only the truly insane believe that the rest of the world is nuts. Don't an unusual amount of game threads seem to end with mentions of this stuff? Don't a lot of people seem to come forward about this as a problem? Besides your little backhanded compliment of our coach, I rarely hear people shouting "cheap shot artists" about our players. "Rarely" meaning I can't remember a time. Rather than turn a blind eye and gripe at other fans, maybe you should consider that it could actually be hurting your team. I don't think you're a "dirty team" and I'm honestly not trying to pass judgement. But there does seem to be a pattern. If it was just a few things I saw in one game, I'd forget about it. But when you see it and then hear everyone else's stories, it reminds me of when people start coming forward about childhood abuse (I know, it's a ridiculous analogy). It starts to gain credibility like a rolling snowball.

Have a great offseason and best of luck to Fitzhenry at UT.

Rattlesnake_08
11-25-2007, 02:15 AM
Good job on the great season Buffs! If we're not the same district next year hopefully we'll see y'all somewhere down the line next season.

Who-dun-it!!?
11-25-2007, 02:18 AM
I think this is one of those games that should have been played later in the playoffs. Too bad it didn't work out that way.

navscanmaster
11-25-2007, 02:31 AM
I can't speak for any other teams, but I haven't heard anyone in our district speak about bad sportsmanship or discipline from Giddings. If you want to dog Giddings, a team that is now packing up equipment while you are still in the hunt for a championship, do it on another thread that's sole intent is to talk down to them, not on one that is titled "CONGRATULATIONS to Giddings."

Good luck Buffalos:)

pirate4state
11-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I can't speak for any other teams, but I haven't heard anyone in our district speak about bad sportsmanship or discipline from Giddings. If you want to dog Giddings, a team that is now packing up equipment while you are still in the hunt for a championship, do it on another thread that's sole intent is to talk down to them, not on one that is titled "CONGRATULATIONS to Giddings."

Good luck Buffalos:)

I agree. It's a shame that it has to come to this on a congratulatory thread. :(

navscanmaster
11-25-2007, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I agree. It's a shame that it has to come to this on a congratulatory thread. :(

This thread closed for maintenance.;) Maybe? :thinking: Please:)

pirate4state
11-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
This thread closed for maintenance.;) Maybe? :thinking: Please:) not a bad idea. i'll fix it later. i'm tired right now.