PDA

View Full Version : Monahans thoughts and "wait til next year"

westtxfballfan
11-23-2007, 11:00 PM
I think most Monahans posters saw the butt-whoopin' this afternoon coming. I think it was Stang Red that asked a couple of days ago, "Where's the Monahans posters?" We were hiding, airing up basketballs.

This year's team kinda underachieved all year. Playoffs? Playoffs? (in the style - for you karioke fans - of Jim Mora.) Big deal. Small, slow, and mediocre coaching usually means no playoffs at all unless you're in a district where most teams' radio guys still call a touchdown by yelling, "Gooaalllll!" Telemundo-style. Yep, I said it: Mediocre coaching. Did anyone who saw Monahans this year think they were well-coached? I'm tired of hearing Midland-Odessa folks - particularly the bloggers on the OA (Odessa American newspaper)- talk about how Monahans has such great coaches. Nice guys, no doubt, but......

Now the good news (and this would have been The Great News a fews weeks ago before the coaching staff had been drawn into question, at least with me) : The Loboes are loaded for the next fews years. The JV, without their best 5 sophs (4 are varsity starters) were undefeated, and the Fresh lost only to 4A Frenship's JV! Look at these scores:

JV scores
MHS 39, Snyder 20
MHS 33, Permian White 6
MHS 34, Andrews 0
MHS 39, Pecos 0
MHS 39, Ft. Stockton 8
MHS 41, Greenwood 13
MHS 18, Ft. Stockton 17
MHS 48, Midland Christian 0

Freshman scores
MHS 56, Snyder 8
MHS 29, Big Spring 12
MHS 28, Andrews 6
MHS 21, Pecos 17
MHS 35, Ft. Stockton 0
MHS 30, Iraan JV 12
MHS 27, Ft. Stockton 6
MHS 21, Frenship JV 35

Bodes well for Monahans' future. We'll see where it ends up.

Good luck to Snyder the rest of the way, and we'll see you next year (twice, probably.)

IHStangFan
11-23-2007, 11:04 PM
LMAO!!!! Telemundo style....that is sig line material.

Snyder_TigerFan
11-23-2007, 11:05 PM
You guys are going to a force to be reckoned with the next couple of years.

westtxfballfan
11-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
You guys are going to a force to be reckoned with the next couple of years.

Despite my Miller Lite-fueled whining about the coaches, I think Monahans will be tough once they don't have Will Clay to tackle so early in the playoffs and once they're in a tougher district with Andrews, Greenwood, etc., as rumored next year. We started lots of juniors and several sophmores this year. Like most talented young teams, at times they looked tough, but they were VERY inconsistent. Our sophmore QB (fast, 6-0, 180) really wasn't ready to start today, but he's going to be an excellent, game-changing athlete before he's done. Does anyone (in west Texas) remember Dana Amos and Charles Thompson (both all-state running backs) from top 10, 4A Monahans teams in the 80s? There was a Half Amos-Half Thompson freshman (an Amos sister and Charles Thompson-parented young man) running through Freshman defenses this year. Look out....

But as for this year: again, congrats, Snyder!

westtxfballfan
11-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LMAO!!!! Telemundo style....that is sig line material.

Glad you liked it, IH Stang. Good to know I'm not the only one home on a Friday Night.

IHStangFan
11-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
Glad you liked it, IH Stang. Good to know I'm not the only one home on a Friday Night. yeah...stayin close to home tonight. Wife is in the hospital w/ our unborn daughter...theyre at 28 weeks and the baby is making a push to come early. So I'm sittin by the phone...was there last night and most of the day...came home to get a little nap and do some chores around the house.

STANG RED
11-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Great success at the JV and frosh level doesnt always translate into great success at the varsity level, but it sure does look like the Loboe's must have some pretty good young talent. Good luck Loboes! We'll all be watching to see how it pans out for ya.

westtxfballfan
11-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Great success at the JV and frosh level doesnt always translate into great success at the varsity level, but it sure does look like the Loboe's must have some pretty good young talent. Good luck Loboes! We'll all be watching to see how it pans out for ya.

I agree that it doesn't always translate, but the coaches and long time "watchers" are eager about the next three classes. We'll see where it goes....

westtxfballfan
11-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yeah...stayin close to home tonight. Wife is in the hospital w/ our unborn daughter...theyre at 28 weeks and the baby is making a push to come early. So I'm sittin by the phone...was there last night and most of the day...came home to get a little nap and do some chores around the house.

Congrats on the kiddo. At 38, I'm enjoying fatherhood for the first time, too. Jakey (WestTx, Jr.) will be a year old in December. He can't walk (though he's close) but he say's "huh!, huh!" (Hut, hut) whenever football's on T.V.

IHStangFan
11-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
Congrats on the kiddo. At 38, I'm enjoying fatherhood for the first time, too. Jakey (WestTx, Jr.) will be a year old in December. He can't walk (though he's close) but he say's "huh!, huh!" (Hut, hut) whenever football's on T.V. LOL!!! thats awesome. My sister's little boy Jackson...I think hes 2...will make the "Home Alone" face and go "OOOOOHH!!" when there is a big hit in a football game...funny as hell. This one will be our first....Jetta Grace will be her name. :)