PDA

View Full Version : For my 1500th post: The Greatest Texas HS Football Playoff Ever...

BullFrog Dad
11-23-2007, 12:02 PM
...was played five years ago today! It was actually on 11-29-02, the day after Thanksgiving that year, which has more meaning. The game was at Tarleton with Decatur led by Chandler Dane vs. Sweetwater piloted by Mychal Carrillo. SW drew 1st blood with a FG to take a 3-0 lead. D answers later with a TD to go up 7-3. SW comes back with a TD to lead 10-7. D closes the 1st half with a TD and a 14-10 lead. Keep in mind that there were several crucial defensive stops by both teams thru-out the game to keep or change the momentum. In the 2nd half SW hits paydirt and now leads 17-14. D counters with a TD to go on top 21-17. Then late in the game Carrillo(He ran like a ghost out there!) leads SW on a great TD drive and it's now 24-21. With about 6 seconds on the clock Dane(Who had a cannon!) throws a Hail Mary from his own 45 that is caught by a D receiver but is stopped by two SW defenders on the 6" line as time runs out! My son and I watched that game together when he was a sophomore and we yacked about it all the way back to LW! It's one of the coolest days we've spent together as well as 'The Greatest Texas HS Football Playoff Game Ever'!!! IMHO!

Sweetwater Red
11-23-2007, 12:20 PM
I too was there. What made Dane's performance even more
impressive was the fact that he was playing on a bad wheel.
He had hurt his ankle a week ot two before this game.

wildstangs
11-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Never will forget that one. I remember a controversial onsides kick that was talked about for months after that.

You could tell that Decatur team was going to be pretty special over the next two years.

injuredinmelee
11-23-2007, 01:08 PM
the Wylie defeat of Decatur at Stephenville was the greatest playoff game at that field ever.

wildstangs
11-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
the Wylie defeat of Decatur at Stephenville was the greatest playoff game at that field ever.

No, the Sweetwater defeat over Iowa Park in 2005 was the greatest. Sweetwater VS. Decatur 2002 was second best.

Wylie - Decatur can have third place. :)
Didn't Wylie - Decatur play both of their classic games at S-ville?

alaskacat
11-23-2007, 01:27 PM
the best game i ever saw was in Texas Stadium in 1995? Plano East and Tyler John Tyler. with 10 minutes left in the game, half the stands had cleared out.

Plano East was trailing 41-7, over the next few minutes I saw the most incredible comeback in my life. Plano east scored and collected 5 straight onside kicks, and took a max three plays to score each time. with 8 second left and a 42-41 lead Plano east kicked off, and Tyler ran it all the way back to win the game 47-42

Those who were left in the stands had an adrenaline rush installed for the rest of their life. People who had left early were pulled off the road listening to it on the radio.
Totally incredible

charlesrixey
11-23-2007, 01:45 PM
48-44

Who-dun-it!!?
11-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Quaterfinals of 2004 is my pick for this one. Snyder 21-Sweetwater 20 in Big Spring. This game was so exciting that a man from Snyder had a heart attack in the stands and died. This was a very sad moment but I like to think he reached down from heaven and guided that extra point attempt into the upright, and secured Snyder's Victory. Sweetwater had the momentum at that point, and I think they would have taken it in overtime.